[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235751 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
I think tickets are very tough to come by at Nebraska's home matches. I'm pretty sure they sell out all the time. They average over 8,000 which is far and away the most for vb.

They gambled on moving games to the new building where men's basketball plays, and they're packing them in on a nightly basis.  Shoutout to Nebraska for monetizing that operation.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #451 on: October 25, 2016, 10:36:56 PM »
They gambled on moving games to the new building where men's basketball plays, and they're packing them in on a nightly basis.  Shoutout to Nebraska for monetizing that operation.
Actually when the new arena was built where Nebrasketball plays they cleaned up the Devaney Center, basketball's former home, that was a dump, took out some seats, remodeled and made it sustainable for volleyball.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Actually when the new arena was built where Nebrasketball plays they cleaned up the Devaney Center, basketball's former home, that was a dump, took out some seats, remodeled and made it sustrightble for volleyball.

Ah.  I read an article about their attendance in the not distant past talking about booming their attendance capacity with a move and just presumed it was to the new building.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
My friend was in DC over the weekend to run the Marine Corp Marathon.  Saturday evening he sent me a text with a team photo of the Marquette Volleyball team.  Apparently they were staying at the same hotel as him.  Looks like they beat Georgetown also.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
My friend was in DC over the weekend to run the Marine Corp Marathon.  Saturday evening he sent me a text with a team photo of the Marquette Volleyball team.  Apparently they were staying at the same hotel as him.  Looks like they beat Georgetown also.

Outside Creighton and Marquette, the Big East is pretty crape at volleyball. I mean, Villanova and Depaul are okay, but they struggle on a national level.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #455 on: October 31, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
Outside Creighton and Marquette, the Big East is pretty crape at volleyball. I mean, Villanova and Depaul are okay, but they struggle on a national level.

Villanova appears to be sliding backwards a little bit after making the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1997 last year.

DePaul might be trending up a little bit right now, but they're at 7 conference wins for the first time since 2001.

Also Xavier's been better than both of them since joining the Big East.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »

Look for Georgetown to ascend straight to the top of the conference next year.   ;)

A guy can dream, right?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Sam, Joey, and the Hauser dad (and a girl, is there a sister?) sitting at the WIAA boys volleyball championship. Told Sam he looked great last night. Very gracious and polite. Not sure what the connection is as it's Catholic Memorial vs. Marquette High and as far as I know neither has a volleyball background like Fischer did.

Match I believe is being stream online and is on TWC Sports channel starting at 6 PM. Hoping another little brother gets a State title tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
His mom works for the WIAA. I think there was a tweet of her streaming the Rockhurst game during a WIAA event.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
His mom works for the WIAA. I think there was a tweet of her streaming the Rockhurst game during a WIAA event.

Yes someone mentioned that after my post.  I believe she was announced as the assistant director of the WIAA or something.  But that would explain it.

Unfortunately MUHS lost in 5 sets after winning the first 2.  My brother will have another chance at a championship next year.  Hopefully they can get it done next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2016, 07:17:56 AM »

http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/prep-sports-stephanie-hauser-joins-wiaa-staff-as-assistant-director/article_4c7457a2-fb45-11e4-8930-ab2974224367.html

"Hauser’s responsibilities with the WIAA will include the administration and coordination of duties for the sports of cross country, track and field, gymnastics, volleyball and softball."

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #461 on: November 27, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #462 on: November 27, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
Marquette plays Washington State in Madison on Thursday.  If they win that match they play Wisconsin (assuming they beat whatever terrible small school they play on Thursday) in Madison at 7 PM.

Occupy the field house, ai'na?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:20:59 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
MU women lose in 4 to Washington State in the first round of the NCAAs.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #464 on: December 11, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
Saw this on another message board in the "Coaches Seeking Transfers" thread:

"Marquettte University is in need of a hitter for the 2017 season. Scholarship available at semester. Athletes with their release should email them to Meghan Keck at meghan.keck@marquette.edu"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #465 on: December 11, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Taking two of my daughters to Columbus Saturday to see the National Championship match.  If I were a betting man, I'd say we're going to see Nebraska try to defend its national championship against Minnesota.  And fail.  Of course, I probably just guaranteed that we'll watch Texas vs. Stanford in the final.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #466 on: December 11, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
Saw this on another message board in the "Coaches Seeking Transfers" thread:

"Marquettte University is in need of a hitter for the 2017 season. Scholarship available at semester. Athletes with their release should email them to Meghan Keck at meghan.keck@marquette.edu"

Weird considering only one starting front row player is graduating. Someone has gotta be gone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #467 on: December 11, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »
Figurin' Wojo oughta try dis chit too. Why not, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #468 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
Taking two of my daughters to Columbus Saturday to see the National Championship match.  If I were a betting man, I'd say we're going to see Nebraska try to defend its national championship against Minnesota.  And fail.  Of course, I probably just guaranteed that we'll watch Texas vs. Stanford in the final.

What's the matchup, Nebraska vs. who and Minnesota vs. who?

Stanford is great. I texted some people at like 14-10 UW set 1 and said Stanford takes this match. UW tries running such a fast offense they're prone to hitting errors and rely on being able to get those points back by being bigger and more athletic on the pins and getting blocks or forcing other teams into their own errors. Stanford was so much bigger than them and just kept the ball in play. Starting 4 freshman on a Final Four team? Uhh...wow. That libero? Unreal! Much more impressed with her than Carlini, who I find incredibly overrated. Carlini is the James Shaw of women's volleyball.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:23:30 PM by wadesworld »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #469 on: December 12, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »
What's the matchup, Nebraska vs. who and Minnesota vs. who?

Stanford is great. I texted some people at like 14-10 UW set 1 and said Stanford takes this match. UW tries running such a fast offense they're prone to hitting errors and rely on being able to get those points back by being bigger and more athletic on the pins and getting blocks or forcing other teams into their own errors. Stanford was so much bigger than them and just kept the ball in play. Starting 4 freshman on a Final Four team? Uhh...wow. That libero? Unreal! Much more impressed with Carlini, who I find incredibly overrated. Carlini is the James Shaw of women's volleyball.

Semis are Nebraska vs. Texas and Minnesota vs. Stanford.  It should be fun.  My girls are really looking forward to it...and so am I.  I'd love to see the semis too, but can't really get down there Thursday night.  This past Friday and Saturday really had some fantastic volleyball.  On Friday, Penn State had two match points against Nebraska in Set 3, and then dropped the match.  Ohio State had Wisconsin on the ropes, and then fell.  And you saw the Stanford comeback.  Some really great volleyball.  I hope the championship is one for the ages.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »
Semis are Nebraska vs. Texas and Minnesota vs. Stanford.  It should be fun.  My girls are really looking forward to it...and so am I.  I'd love to see the semis too, but can't really get down there Thursday night.  This past Friday and Saturday really had some fantastic volleyball.  On Friday, Penn State had two match points against Nebraska in Set 3, and then dropped the match.  Ohio State had Wisconsin on the ropes, and then fell.  And you saw the Stanford comeback.  Some really great volleyball.  I hope the championship is one for the ages.

Awesome, those should be some great matches.  I didn't see a ton of the Texas/Creighton match but I think Nebraska should get through Texas fairly easily.  The other semifinal should be really close.  If Stanford can force the freshman outside on Minnesota to take a lot of swings Stanford will be in great shape.  I've only seen them play 2 or 3 matches but I can't recall her ever hitting any shot other than cross court to the T of the 10 foot/sideline right into the libero, except that she hits it long/out of bounds a ton.  If I'm Stanford's coach I'm trying to line my gigantic right side up with the other outside as the freshman doesn't scare me one bit.  Stanford's freshman libero has impressed me more than any other player I've watched in this tournament.  She's not the best player, but for a freshman, wow.  Always makes the right move at the right time, just not always close enough to make the play on the ball.  She's really impressive though.  Minnesota defensively as a whole is phenomenal.  Should be some great rallies.

Anyways, the finals will be an awesome match whatever it is.  If Stanford does get through Minnesota and faces Nebraska Amber Rolfzen could set some NCAA Finals records (of which I have no idea what they are).  I hate Stanford's blocking scheme with the spread block, keep your pin blockers out wide and leave your middle blockers on an island.  I haven't seen Stanford play a whole lot in past years so I don't know if that is just the system the coach uses or if he doesn't trust all the freshman to be able to read the game at the speed of the game while being so young.  But if that's the matchup I am force feeding Rolfzen all over the court, and then running bics right over the top of it to her sister.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:28:32 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #471 on: December 15, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
Stanford is going to need to keep their middles involved in this match. Minnesota's defense is too good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #472 on: December 15, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »
Of course the Minnesota freshman OH is 5 for 9 with 0 errors. Good call on my part  :o

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #473 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »
Both sides need to tighten up the serve reception. Whichever team can do that will win the match. Both playing good defense and transitioning decently.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #474 on: December 15, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
By, "I think Nebraska should get through Texas fairly easily," I obviously meant, "Texas will smoke Nebraska."

Shocking.

feedback