collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 243825 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #750 on: October 02, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #751 on: October 02, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »

But he didn't know that when he made the pitching change. 

But he did.  He's Ned Yost.  That's the whole point.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #752 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
BTW, I was reading up on Ryan Braun's thumb and didn't understand the timeline completely.  He tested positive in October 2011.  He put up real good numbers the next season under increased testing.  From a Haurdricort article...

"But, while undergoing increased drug testing in 2012 without a positive result, he arguably had a better season than the year before, batting .319 with 41 home runs, 112 RBI, 108 runs scored, 30 stolen bases and .987 OPS."

That doesn't fit the anti-Braun narrative, so why would we even care to consider it?  Keep your damn facts to yourself, and let us continue the speculation over here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #753 on: October 02, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »
That doesn't fit the anti-Braun narrative, so why would we even care to consider it?  Keep your damn facts to yourself, and let us continue the speculation over here.

It's called staying on a cycle.  Something he should've done through the Playoffs in 2011 and he never would've gotten caught (well, until Bosh got squeezed into squealing).  Tons and tons and tons of players take PEDs, they just stay smart about it, remain on a cycle, and remain below the "legal" limit while still taking them and gaining a competitive advantage.  That's what Braun had done his entire career.  Then he decided, "It's the Playoffs, I can go wild with these, go off in the Playoffs, become a legend, and they aren't going to test me now."  All of a sudden he's taking tons of his gummies and off his cycle and what do you know, 3 players are randomly chosen to take a drug test during the 2011 Playoff run and Braun is one of them.  He was livid in the locker room.  Then wahlah, there's a loop in the system and Braun gets off.  Lucky for him, he can go back on his cycle and if he is somehow dumb enough to get caught again (it's very hard to do if you aren't an idiot) it's only a first time offense, not a repeat and a lifetime ban.  Then Bosh opens his mouth, turns out Braun was using PEDs, and there's his "first" offense.  Now he's facing a lifetime ban and can't risk taking PEDs anymore.  So his numbers go down.  But wait, that's just his thumb.

Talking about facts, since apparently we can't look at his batting/power numbers because his thumb hurts (maybe he should have garden duty...anybody else's fingers hurt?), I suppose the thumb also caused his stolen bases to drop from 30+ in both 2011 and 2012 to 11 this season.  Or he's just getting old.  You know, 30 years old.  No, that can't be it.  The manager just doesn't let his team steal bases (hah).

Again, Benny, if you're so sure PEDs didn't help him and this thumb injury is the reason he was a .270 hitter with 19 homers and 11 stolen bases last year, then why will you not make a little friendly/fun wager here?  He's having this surgery and is confident it will fix the thumb issue.  Surely he can hit 30 homers and .300 next year, numbers he never hit under up until his shortened 2013 season.  No?  Easy win for you, like stealing candy from a baby.  But you won't do it.  Why?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:30:03 PM by Ellenson's World »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 02, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
It's called staying on a cycle.  Something he should've done through the Playoffs in 2011 and he never would've gotten caught (well, until Bosh got squeezed into squealing).  Tons and tons and tons of players take PEDs, they just stay smart about it, remain on a cycle, and remain below the "legal" limit while still taking them and gaining a competitive advantage.  That's what Braun had done his entire career.  Then he decided, "It's the Playoffs, I can go wild with these, go off in the Playoffs, become a legend, and they aren't going to test me now."  All of a sudden he's taking tons of his gummies and off his cycle and what do you know, 3 players are randomly chosen to take a drug test during the 2011 Playoff run and Braun is one of them.  He was livid in the locker room.  Then wahlah, there's a loop in the system and Braun gets off.  Lucky for him, he can go back on his cycle and if he is somehow dumb enough to get caught again (it's very hard to do if you aren't an idiot) it's only a first time offense, not a repeat and a lifetime ban.  Then Bosh opens his mouth, turns out Braun was using PEDs, and there's his "first" offense.  Now he's facing a lifetime ban and can't risk taking PEDs anymore.  So his numbers go down.  But wait, that's just his thumb.

Talking about facts, since apparently we can't look at his batting/power numbers because his thumb hurts (maybe he should have garden duty...anybody else's fingers hurt?), I suppose the thumb also caused his stolen bases to drop from 30+ in both 2011 and 2012 to 11 this season.  Or he's just getting old.  You know, 30 years old.  No, that can't be it.  The manager just doesn't let his team steal bases (hah).

The irony of using your first paragraph to completely make up a scenario, but then start the next paragraph with "talking about facts," is very amusing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #755 on: October 02, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »

The irony of using your first paragraph to completely make up a scenario, but then start the next paragraph with "talking about facts," is very amusing.

...except that's exactly what happened.  He was on a cycle using gummies.  It came to Playoff time and he figured nobody was going to get tested, so he went wild with his gummies, the tester came into the clubhouse after one of the games and he was absolutely livid.

Have known this for quite some time.  Which is why it came as absolutely no surprise that when Bosh finally allowed a public interview he discussed exactly how these players stay on their cycle and how gummies are the most commonly used form.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 02, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
...except that's exactly what happened.  He was on a cycle using gummies.  It came to Playoff time and he figured nobody was going to get tested, so he went wild with his gummies, the tester came into the clubhouse after one of the games and he was absolutely livid.

But the next year?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 02, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 02, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
Right....a made up scenario.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #759 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
Right....a made up scenario.

Except it's not.

Again, you, Benny, anybody else who wants to back Braun.  Put your money where your mouth is and take me up on my wager.  You think the thumb injury is what has caused him to go from a .320 career hitter averaging well over 30 homers a year and nearly 30 stolen bases per game a year to .270, 19, and 11.  I think it's the lack of PED use.  His thumb injury will be fixed.  So that means if he's back in MVP/Hall of Fame shape like he was through 2012 (or even just an above average right fielder, for that matter) then clearly I'm wrong.  If he continues to be a .270ish hitter who struggles to hit the ball out of the park then you're wrong.  If it's in the grey area in between then maybe it was some of both.  You guys are so confident, you can't lose this wager, might as well make me pay to a cause of your choice.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 02, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »
Again, Benny, if you're so sure PEDs didn't help him and this thumb injury is the reason he was a .270 hitter with 19 homers and 11 stolen bases last year, then why will you not make a little friendly/fun wager here?  He's having this surgery and is confident it will fix the thumb issue.  Surely he can hit 30 homers and .300 next year, numbers he never hit under up until his shortened 2013 season.  No?  Easy win for you, like stealing candy from a baby.  But you won't do it.  Why?

Because a) I don't disagree with the sentiment that Braun's career performance has generally begun its decline, b) I don't think Braun will stay healthy for an entire season to ever have a chance to hit 30 HRs, and c) I think there's a third factor (beyond PEDs and his thumb) that hasn't been (or isn't being) disclosed that's playing a material role in Braun's aforementioned decline [intercostal].

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
Except it's not.

Again, you, Benny, anybody else who wants to back Braun.  Put your money where your mouth is and take me up on my wager.  You think the thumb injury is what has caused him to go from a .320 career hitter averaging well over 30 homers a year and nearly 30 stolen bases per game a year to .270, 19, and 11.  I think it's the lack of PED use.  His thumb injury will be fixed.  So that means if he's back in MVP/Hall of Fame shape like he was through 2012 (or even just an above average right fielder, for that matter) then clearly I'm wrong.  If he continues to be a .270ish hitter who struggles to hit the ball out of the park then you're wrong.  If it's in the grey area in between then maybe it was some of both.  You guys are so confident, you can't lose this wager, might as well make me pay to a cause of your choice.

I'm not backing Braun... I'm just pointing out what's wrong with your argument, even if we do happen agree on more than which we disagree.

In other words... nobody comes to Scoop looking to +1 everybody else; that's boring.  Irony, or arguing for the sake of arguing, is the very foundation of why Scoop lives on during the off-season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 02, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
I'm not backing Braun... I'm just pointing out what's wrong with your argument, even if we do happen agree on more than which we disagree.

In other words... nobody comes to Scoop looking to +1 everybody else; that's boring.  Irony, or arguing for the sake of arguing, is the very foundation of why Scoop lives on during the off-season.

Good points.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #763 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
Good points.

Didn't just want to give him the +1

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #764 on: October 03, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
Cardinals suck.

Go LA.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 03, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 03, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
Didn't just want to give him the +1

Classic.  It's a shame that Titan is missing all this fun.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 03, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Cardinals suck.

Go LA.

That's such a dammed if you do dammed if you don't scenario. Both teams are so unlikable but I have a feeling that I will be cheering for the fighting Puig's since the lady friend is from LA county.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
If this leads holds up, looks like Justin will be celebratin' with Kate tonight. Hope they get the iPhone fully charged, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
This year's edition of Verlander will not be able to hold the lead.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #770 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
I doubt any of us could hold up for long with Kate, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
This year's edition of Verlander will not be able to hold the lead.   

Exactly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 03, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Arms race.   Countered Oakland's move.   Gave up a young starter and a starting CF.   Dombrowski just pushed his chips to the middle of the table.  

And it won't matter.    With the exception of the starting rotation, Cabrera, V Martinez, and Kinsler, Detroit is below average.  No dirtbags.   No one I expect to raise their game in the playoffs.    Several I expect to do worse in the playoffs.   Maybe it will be enough, but in my heart of hearts, I think Mr. I is disappointed yet again. 

Bump.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #773 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
Cards always find a way, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #774 on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
Cards always find a way, hey?

Apparently Ned Yost is managing the pitching for the Dodgers too.  Over 100 pitches, into the 7th inning, loads the bases, gives up 2 runs.  Hell, lets just keep him in there!

feedback