collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 243881 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #800 on: October 07, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
The Kershaw playoff speedbump continues....and yes, I still agree with you that every team would take him in a heartbeat, but for whatever reason he has struggled in the playoffs.  Like many great players, hitters included.  Saw an interesting stat the other day about hall of fame players and their playoff numbers, many are really poor.

And your MVP hit a whopping .083. If you want to throw the bum under the bus every team will take him too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #801 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
I would say we were the best team in baseball through about 135 games.  When Richards went down, Shoemaker went down, we were not nearly as good.  Hamilton, as mediocre as he is, at least was a .270ish hitter until he missed the last month of the season.  Those are big coggs.  Even with them, it's hard to say best team simply because of best record.  The best team in a 162 game season often takes advantage of those wins you get with the #4 and #5 starters, and those guys usually don't pitch in the playoffs.  So if you're a top 10ish team but 3 stud starters and get to the playoffs, you might be better playoff team than one with 5 very good starters (but not studs) that get you more regular season wins over the longhaul, but not in short series.  IMO

Can't disagree with any of this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #802 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
And your MVP hit a whopping .083. If you want to throw the bum under the bus every team will take him too.

Apparently you didn't read my whole post.....not surprised

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #803 on: October 07, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

This isn't the first time you've gone after Kershaw for his postseason failures. Just giving Trout equal time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #804 on: October 08, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
Underdogs who have won:
4 - KC, KC, Baltimore, SF

Underdogs who lead:
1- SF

Favorites who have won:

Favorites who lead:

Series that are tied:
1- STL vs LA

Wow. Talk about your crap shoots.

Update:

Underdogs who have won: 6

Favorites who have won: 0

Series underdogs win 14 games, favorites 2.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #805 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Update:

Underdogs who have won: 6

Favorites who have won: 0

Series underdogs win 14 games, favorites 2.

I take exception with your considering Baltimore the dog in that series.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #806 on: October 08, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
I take exception with your considering Baltimore the dog in that series.

Exception noted. However, the Vegas line was Detroit -150, Baltimore +130. So Detroit was the favorite.

Yours is not an uncommon error. Sportswriters/sportscasters routinely and lazily report games as "upsets" that are nothing of the kind. When the #4 ranked team is a 3 point favorite at home vs the #2 ranked team it's not an "upset" when #4 wins.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #807 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »
Exception noted. However, the Vegas line was Detroit -150, Baltimore +130. So Detroit was the favorite.

Yours is not an uncommon error. Sportswriters/sportscasters routinely and lazily report games as "upsets" that are nothing of the kind. When the #4 ranked team is a 3 point favorite at home vs the #2 ranked team it's not an "upset" when #4 wins.

While you are correct, except Vegas sets the betting line based on how they perceive the betting to go, not on who experts thinks will win.  With names Scherzer/Verlander/Price pitching for Detroit, they figured betting would lean toward Detroit.  By predictor metrics Baltimore was the better team and should have been the favorite, mostly because Verlander and Price aren't the Cy Young versions of themselves anymore.  It takes the betting public a while to catch up.  You saw it in the Baumgarner/Fister matchup in game 3 of the NLDS.  Fister is every bit the pitcher that Baumgarner is but perception was that Giants had a big advantage on the mound for that game.

But again, I agree with your larger point that the baseball playoffs are more unpredictable than a college basketball tournament.  Nobody would have predicted KC sweep over LAA, and the lesser team won both NLDS series.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #808 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
I would say we were the best team in baseball through about 135 games.  When Richards went down, Shoemaker went down, we were not nearly as good.  Hamilton, as mediocre as he is, at least was a .270ish hitter until he missed the last month of the season.  Those are big coggs.  Even with them, it's hard to say best team simply because of best record.  The best team in a 162 game season often takes advantage of those wins you get with the #4 and #5 starters, and those guys usually don't pitch in the playoffs.  So if you're a top 10ish team but 3 stud starters and get to the playoffs, you might be better playoff team than one with 5 very good starters (but not studs) that get you more regular season wins over the longhaul, but not in short series.  IMO

I think you're probably right, but they went 16-11 over those last 27 games, which was their expected record to keep pace with the first 135 games.  They kept gaining ground on stumbling Seattle and Oakland over that time and never relinquished the best record in the Al mantle, so unless you were paying very close attention you probably didn't notice that the chinks in the armor were starting to show.  I sure tended to just think of them as the best team in the AL, even knowing that Richards went down.

At least for me, the bottom line is that while KC's bullpen is tremendous for innings 7-9, its starters and middle relief are merely good and the Angels didn't make hay against them like I thought they would.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #809 on: October 08, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »

It may be more that the Cardinals have his number.  He has the higher ERA against the Cards than any other NL team, and a higher WHIP than against any other NL team. 

Also hard to fault him for yesterday.  He threw 6 innings masterfully on 3 days rest.  The 7th got him.  But that was still a useful outing in most cases. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #810 on: October 08, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Ryan Braun has been cleared to swing a baseball bat less than a week after having surgery. So let me get this straight, the recovery time is what, absolute worst case a month? He couldn't have had this surgery at the All Star Break after completely sucking for the previous 2 months? Talk about a phony.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #811 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
It may be more that the Cardinals have his number.  He has the higher ERA against the Cards than any other NL team, and a higher WHIP than against any other NL team. 

Also hard to fault him for yesterday.  He threw 6 innings masterfully on 3 days rest.  The 7th got him.  But that was still a useful outing in most cases. 

I was happy....another year for the Doyers and another 1988 clap clap. 

Yes, I would take him in a second, he's a stud.  He pitched well yesterday, but whether it's the Cardinals or the pressure or something, he's had a tough go in the playoffs as have many greats as I alluded to earlier.  Some amazing numbers for some of the greats in the playoffs. Some also started out very slow (i.e. Manny Ramirez), but then in the back half of their career went insane...so they figure it out.  Baseball is a cruel game, but also what makes it so great.  It gives you Jim Leyritz moments from an otherwise obscure player.  David Eckstein, one of my favorite players of all time...MVP of the WS.  Rick Dempsey.  Etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #812 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
I think you're probably right, but they went 16-11 over those last 27 games, which was their expected record to keep pace with the first 135 games.  They kept gaining ground on stumbling Seattle and Oakland over that time and never relinquished the best record in the Al mantle, so unless you were paying very close attention you probably didn't notice that the chinks in the armor were starting to show.  I sure tended to just think of them as the best team in the AL, even knowing that Richards went down.

At least for me, the bottom line is that while KC's bullpen is tremendous for innings 7-9, its starters and middle relief are merely good and the Angels didn't make hay against them like I thought they would.

Game one, hit some good balls, they made 4 great plays.  Shows up in the boxscore as an out, but a ton of runs left on the bases there.  Is what it is.  Baseball is a great game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #813 on: October 08, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »

Yeaaaa, the only problem with it is that the lady friend has been none to happy...

brandx

« Reply #814 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/matt-williams-nationals-manager-nlds-game4-bullpen-100814

Excellent article about Matt Williams' terrible managing in a game with the season on the line.

I think the same could be written about Mattingly. Letting Uribe and A.J.Ellis bat in the 9th inning of the most important game of the year with the game on the line? Leaving Puig on the bench? With the season on the line? And knowing that Ellis is the unquestioned worst hitting starting catcher in either league?

He benched Puig while leaving Gordon, Gonzalez and Uribe in the lineup despite the fact they were all hitting around 100 points less than Puig.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #815 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/matt-williams-nationals-manager-nlds-game4-bullpen-100814

Excellent article about Matt Williams' terrible managing in a game with the season on the line.

I think the same could be written about Mattingly. Letting Uribe and A.J.Ellis bat in the 9th inning of the most important game of the year with the game on the line? Leaving Puig on the bench? With the season on the line? And knowing that Ellis is the unquestioned worst hitting starting catcher in either league?

He benched Puig while leaving Gordon, Gonzalez and Uribe in the lineup despite the fact they were all hitting around 100 points less than Puig.

As a Dodger fan, I have no problem with Ellis getting an AB in the postseason.  7/13 with 4 BB and 1 K.  Yes please. Ellis, was a machine in the playoffs.

The decision to run Puig, who is fast but an awful base runner, and who supposedly was benched with a bad ankle made no sense.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #816 on: October 09, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Ryan Braun has been cleared to swing a baseball bat less than a week after having surgery. So let me get this straight, the recovery time is what, absolute worst case a month? He couldn't have had this surgery at the All Star Break after completely sucking for the previous 2 months? Talk about a phony.

Out of curiosity... is there a distinction between "cleared to swing a bat" and "cleared to hit a ball" or are both synonymous?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #817 on: October 09, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Out of curiosity... is there a distinction between "cleared to swing a bat" and "cleared to hit a ball" or are both synonymous?

Yeah that's why I gave a rough timeline of a month that he might've been out of game play, because obviously just swinging a bat is much different than hitting a 95 mph pitch.  But if he's cleared to swing a bat less than a month after the surgery then I'm assuming the total recovery time couldn't be overly long.  Maybe I'm wrong there.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #818 on: October 09, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
Yeah that's why I gave a rough timeline of a month that he might've been out of game play, because obviously just swinging a bat is much different than hitting a 95 mph pitch.  But if he's cleared to swing a bat less than a month after the surgery then I'm assuming the total recovery time couldn't be overly long.  Maybe I'm wrong there.

Either way... that would certainly lend credence to my suspicion that he's got lingering issues with, and potentially permanent damage now to his intercostals (IMO is why he was on the stuff to begin with), which has to be raising the reddest shade of red flags by now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #820 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »

Yes, I would take him in a second, he's a stud.  He pitched well yesterday, but whether it's the Cardinals or the pressure or something, he's had a tough go in the playoffs as have many greats as I alluded to earlier.  Some amazing numbers for some of the greats in the playoffs. Some also started out very slow (i.e. Manny Ramirez), but then in the back half of their career went insane...so they figure it out.  Baseball is a cruel game, but also what makes it so great.  It gives you Jim Leyritz moments from an otherwise obscure player.  David Eckstein, one of my favorite players of all time...MVP of the WS.  Rick Dempsey.  Etc.

Kershaw in the playoffs last year:

vs. ATL
7 IP, 3H, 3 BB, 12K, 1 ER
6 IP, 3H, 1 BB, 6K, 0 ER

vs STL
6 IP, 2H, 1 BB, 5K, 0 ER
Then he had the clunker
4 IP, 10H, 2 BB, 5K, 7 ER

That is one tough game.  Hard to say a tough go in the playoffs.  And for this year it was so odd.  I can't recall seeing a guy go from so dominant, as he was through 6 IP in both starts, to unable to get an out in the 7th both times.  Maybe it is pressure, who knows.  But he was unreal those first 6 IP both times, very odd lines for those games. 

For the playoffs, before this year, his line goes like this:
4.21 ERA, 38Ks, 14BB, 36.1 IP, 32 H, .237 BAA

That isn't great, and certainly not Kershaw-like; but it isn't terrible either. 

Not sure what to make of it, it is just, odd. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #821 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
Yeaaaa, the only problem with it is that the lady friend has been none to happy...

Get a new lady friend.   ;)  Doyer fans are among the worst.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #822 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
Kershaw in the playoffs last year:

vs. ATL
7 IP, 3H, 3 BB, 12K, 1 ER
6 IP, 3H, 1 BB, 6K, 0 ER

vs STL
6 IP, 2H, 1 BB, 5K, 0 ER
Then he had the clunker
4 IP, 10H, 2 BB, 5K, 7 ER

That is one tough game.  Hard to say a tough go in the playoffs.  And for this year it was so odd.  I can't recall seeing a guy go from so dominant, as he was through 6 IP in both starts, to unable to get an out in the 7th both times.  Maybe it is pressure, who knows.  But he was unreal those first 6 IP both times, very odd lines for those games. 

For the playoffs, before this year, his line goes like this:
4.21 ERA, 38Ks, 14BB, 36.1 IP, 32 H, .237 BAA

That isn't great, and certainly not Kershaw-like; but it isn't terrible either. 

Not sure what to make of it, it is just, odd. 

It is a crazy game.  I think he's 0-4 in his last 4 playoff games with something like a 6 ERA (don't quote me on that).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #823 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
0-4 with an ERA of 7.15.  Though in one start he lost and surrendered 0 ER.  22.2 IP, 24H, 5BB, 29 K.
It shows the oddness of the line with a WHIP of 1.3 and an ERA of 7.15.  Again,the oddness, a 5.8 K/BB Ratio and an ERA of 7.15. 

That ERA is pretty high for those peripherals.  Really speaks to those big innings.  It is tough to figure.  With that being said, I'd happily give him the ball in games 1,4,7 in any playoff series.  I may take him out after 6 though.  Unless I had the dodgers (or Tigers) bullpen... it is tricky.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #824 on: October 15, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
  Move your money to KC.   

Bump
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback