collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU natives are restless  (Read 38764 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: IU natives are restless
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
You didn't answer the other part....are these teams playing with robots, since they are the same "materials" or in actuality is every player a human being, different in their skills, abilities, etc and the ratings can be off the charts bad?

Yes, and they're also be coached and led by human beings, different in their skills, abilities, etc.  I'm pretty sure that's (one of) the point(s) Lenny is trying to make.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brandx

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
The problem with Crean is the same as when he was at MU. When it comes down to really being a big-time coach - 2nd half and especially the last 5 minutes, he is an utter failure. In the last four losses, they led at halftime.

That's why even though I appreciated what he did at MU, I wasn't said to see him go. He is absolutely a coach in the same class as Digger Phelps. Digger couldn't even win a title with 6 future NBAers on his squad. Crean is cut from the same cloth.

They want to control the last 5 minutes - they're just not good enough to do it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
The problem with Crean is the same as when he was at MU. When it comes down to really being a big-time coach - 2nd half and especially the last 5 minutes, he is an utter failure. In the last four losses, they led at halftime.

That's why even though I appreciated what he did at MU, I wasn't said to see him go. He is absolutely a coach in the same class as Digger Phelps. Digger couldn't even win a title with 6 future NBAers on his squad. Crean is cut from the same cloth.

They want to control the last 5 minutes - they're just not good enough to do it.

Agree. Crean could get the talent, and bring a program up to respectability, but he's not a closer.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
You didn't answer the other part....are these teams playing with robots, since they are the same "materials" or in actuality is every player a human being, different in their skills, abilities, etc and the ratings can be off the charts bad?

I didn't answer the other part because you hadn't edited your post yet. But sure, ratings can be off the charts bad. I don't know whether the guys TC recruited were overrated, the guys John B recruited were underrated, TC did a bad job coaching his guys up, JB did a superior job coaching his guys up, or some kind of combination of the four. I just thought it was so rare and interesting that two teams could be thought of as so alike yet turn out so differently.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:08 PM »
No, actually I didn't.  In fact, I admitted to sharing Hoop's account.  Try again.

You only admitted after your hand got stuck in the cookie jar.  How noble.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 10:50:35 PM »
Yes, and they're also be coached and led by human beings, different in their skills, abilities, etc.  I'm pretty sure that's (one of) the point(s) Lenny is trying to make.

On this, we agree, but you can't deny the fact that all players are not equal, or even class rankings.

I'm still waiting, if this is the standard that he is holding IU at...the #6 recruiting class should have produced X by year 2 (this year), then certainly the same standard should be held of MU's #7 recruiting class and we have no business being rated behind anyone with a lesser recruiting class.  What's good for the goose....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
I didn't answer the other part because you hadn't edited your post yet. But sure, ratings can be off the charts bad. I don't know whether the guys TC recruited were overrated, the guys John B recruited were underrated, TC did a bad job coaching his guys up, JB did a superior job coaching his guys up, or some kind of combination of the four. I just thought it was so rare and interesting that two teams could be thought of as so alike yet turn out so differently.

So you're going to hold MU and their #7 recruiting class to the same standard....especially since Buzz is a better coach...right?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:22 PM »

I'm curious what utter failure means?  If I understand you correctly, this would mean he fails all the time in the last 5 minutes, second half and big games (your definition)...I mean, how else can you interpret UTTER FAILURE.  Or maybe you need to backtrack a bit.  Plenty of MU and IU wins over the years coming from behind in the second half, winning in the last few minutes, etc....or are you parsing and selectively choosing the losses and ignoring the wins...as I suspect many here do often.  

For an utter failure, it's strange how many big wins, come from behind wins and late game wins they have had over the years...being an utter failure and such.   ;)  

Look, Crean is not a great coach, he's a very good coach and he has many peccadillo's.  The problem is the hyperbole that some of you come up with is off the charts.  Good to read Kent Sterling tonight, a great sports writer with an ounce of sanity.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:56:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
Look, Crean is not a great coach, he's a very good coach and he has many peccadillo's.

A peccadillo is a white lie to protect another's feelings. Crean suffers from a profound lack of character.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:34 AM »
A peccadillo is a white lie to protect another's feelings. Crean suffers from a profound lack of character.

got the water dripping from a rain forest palm branch in the flux capacitor to power the old laptop, a'ina?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
got the water dripping from a rain forest palm branch in the flux capacitor to power the old laptop, a'ina?

Clean water is happening on the eastern slope of Tungurahua. One down, couple million more to go...

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:45 AM »
Clean water is happening on the eastern slope of Tungurahua. One down, couple million more to go...

glad you're back bro.  without you, ners was running this joint.  lmfao.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
Good to hear you're back Keefe.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »
Bold prediction from co-worker this morning: Crean fired next year, Steven leaves Celtics to coach IU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:21 AM »
Bold prediction from co-worker this morning: Crean fired next year, Steven leaves Celtics to coach IU.

Indiana was my second favorite team until TC took over so I'd love for it to happen - but don't hold your breath

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 08:23:38 AM »
Crean's next gig will be coachin' DIII Gannon College and drivin' the team minivan to games in western PA.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »

Welcome home. This joint isn't the same without you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »

In many areas on him you are correct, and in some areas that wouldn't be the case.  Sometimes people don't always see what one is doing for others.

http://coachperryhunter.blogspot.com/2014/02/fire-tom-crean.html

The bigger question for Michigan fans is why they can't figure TC out....their kryptonite. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
In many areas on him you are correct, and in some areas that wouldn't be the case.  Sometimes people don't always see what one is doing for others.

The bigger question for Michigan fans is why they can't figure TC out....their kryptonite. 

Cue the "Crean only does it for PR and probably paid this guy to make it public" responses in 3, 2, 1................

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
Last night's debacle will lead some people to drink....including the players.

http://ux.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/02/14/indiana-basketballs-hanner-mosquera-perea-arrested-on-owi/5481287/

I see a big suspension coming

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
Official prediction:

Crean is whacked after the 2015-2016 season. Buzz hires him back as an assistant, his main duties are diet pepsi procurement, altitude chamber and tanning bed maintenance.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:35:10 AM by Bleuteaux »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »

Nice article. It was very kind of Crean to allow a student going blind to attend an IU game. I say waive the waiting period and put him up for sainthood along with John Paul II.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Last night's debacle will lead some people to drink....including the players.

http://ux.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/02/14/indiana-basketballs-hanner-mosquera-perea-arrested-on-owi/5481287/

I see a big suspension coming

Maybe an excuse to crean a guy who was a 4* but has been a major disappointment.i

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »

That's bold. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
So you're holding MU and their 7th rated recruiting class to the same standard...........