collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU natives are restless  (Read 38760 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: IU natives are restless
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
The public was fooled. Pleasant Avenue explained to Late Night Hoops long ago.

http://latenighthoops.com/crean-buyout/#.UvzZb0JdUTj

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
I do enjoy these threads, similar to ones a few years ago.  They seem to come out when IU loses a game like this, but when IU beats really good teams they don't....don't worry, I get it...just an observation.

Last night was awful...haven't seen something that bad (watched the meltdown later on DVR) since I was in San Jose witnessing MU crumble to Washington in the NCAAs....at least in that one it was to a NCAA team.  The one where Bobby Knight's team blew a 9 point lead with about 55 seconds left a few years after I had departed IU was epic as well. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
Chicos also said he never shares account logins.

No, actually I didn't.  In fact, I admitted to sharing Hoop's account.  Try again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
I do enjoy these threads, similar to ones a few years ago.  They seem to come out when IU loses a game like this, but when IU beats really good teams they don't....don't worry, I get it...just an observation.

Last night was awful...haven't seen something that bad (watched the meltdown later on DVR) since I was in San Jose witnessing MU crumble to Washington in the NCAAs....at least in that one it was to a NCAA team.  The one where Bobby Knight's team blew a 9 point lead with about 55 seconds left a few years after I had departed IU was epic as well. 

Louisville was another beauty of a choke job a few years back.  Single most embarrassing loss I can remember.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

I know this is an IU thread but if we're talking bad loses the Louisville one has was a real kick in the balls. Blowing a 17 point lead with 5 minutes left, ouch
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
I know this is an IU thread but if we're talking bad loses the Louisville one has was a real kick in the balls. Blowing a 17 point lead with 5 minutes left, ouch

Wait, an IU thread on a MU board......

Not to quibble, but it was an 18 point lead in 5 minutes..... http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2011/1/15/1937133/louisville-71-marquette-70-character-exposed
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:20:36 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
The public was fooled. Pleasant Avenue explained to Late Night Hoops long ago.

http://latenighthoops.com/crean-buyout/#.UvzZb0JdUTj

Exactly. They owe him $14 mil if they fire him this year. Even if Vonleh leaves and they suck again next year, they owe him $12 mil. Savvy negotiating on his part. Maybe he's tanking on purpose to get an early retirement package and a cushy announcing gig?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
Wait, an IU thread on a MU board......

Not to quibble, but it was an 18 point lead in 5 minutes..... http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2011/1/15/1937133/louisville-71-marquette-70-character-exposed

Why didn't you link to the Cracked Sidewalks recap?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »

The only other non-MU wins worth noting are Texas wins.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »

Last night was awful...haven't seen something that bad (watched the meltdown later on DVR) since I was in San Jose witnessing MU crumble to Washington in the NCAAs....at least in that one it was to a NCAA team.  The one where Bobby Knight's team blew a 9 point lead with about 55 seconds left a few years after I had departed IU was epic as well.  

The "crumble" to Washington was comparable to IU's collapse last night? Really? The Wash/MU game was actually one of the best played games of the NCAA tournament that year. By both teams. MU started the 2nd half with a great run to open a 15 point lead with 14 minutes left. Washington responded with an equally great run to turn the game into a nail biter for the final 9 minutes. Neither team led by more than 4 in those 9 minutes and they nipped us at the wire. For the game, we shot 52.9% from the field and a spectacular 63.2% from 3. Washington was even better, 54.5% overall and 64.3% from 3. Despite the up and down nature of the game, only 12 turnovers from each team. Washington followed their 2 point win over us with a rout of the 3 seed (Memphis?) in the next round.

Indiana led by 11. With 3:19 left. At home. To Penn St. IU had 5 TOs in the last 3 minutes and an astonishing 3 in the final 33 seconds. No crumble vs epic crumble. No comparison whatsoever.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:47:42 AM by Lennys Tap »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
The "crumble" to Washington was comparable to IU's collapse last night? Really? The Wash/MU game was actually one of the best played games of the NCAA tournament that year. By both teams. MU open the 2nd half with a great run to open a 15 point lead with 14 minutes left. Washington responded with an equally great run to turn the game into a nail biter for the final 9 minutes. Neither team led by more than 4 in those 9 minutes and they nipped us at the wire. For the game, we shot 52.9% from the field and a spectacular 63.2% from 3. Washington was even better, 54.5% overall and 64.3% from 3. Despite the up and down nature of the game, only 12 turnovers from each team. Washington followed their 2 point win over us with a rout of the 3 seed (Memphis?) in the next round.

Indiana led by 11. With 3:19 left. At home. To Penn St. IU had 5 TOs in the last 3 minutes and an astonishing 3 in the final 33 seconds. No comparison whatsoever.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said "at least in that one it was to a NCAA team"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
I guess you didn't read the part where I said "at least in that one it was to a NCAA team"

I absolutely did. One small qualifier, however, doesn't make your comparison much less preposterous.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
The interest in the LNH article has grown significantly in the past few days, especially the last 24 hours.

Still many doubters (Chicos was for a short while), but PAA & LNH are professionals.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
Yes, he has plenty of good will built up in Bloomington... plus I'm pretty sure his buy out is enormous (IIRC Chicos mentioned this).

All that can change once you reach a certain level.  Has the tone toward Buzz changed this year?  Yup.  Does Buzz have good will built up in Milwaukee...yup.  If Buzz fails to make the NCAAs this year will that take a hit...yup.

All part of expectations in big boy basketball.   The good will TC had in Bloomington was the rebuilding project, which is why all the comments (laughable as they were here) about him getting axed in year 3 or 4 were just that....whacked.  But once you get over the mountain, the expectations change.  Ask Ben Howland.  No different than anywhere else.  Mike Scioscia going through it here with the Angels...it's a what have you done for me lately world, especially once the rebuild is done.

No different if Buzz struggles....though granted, MU isn't IU and never will be from an expectations point of view.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 01:19:09 PM »
Year 6 of Crean at IU, home losses to Northwestern, Penn St, road loss at Nebraska.

In Year 6!

Well, losing NBA first round talent can hurt a program.

crap, MU did some addition by subtraction along with losing D-League talent and they've done a great job of being painfully mediocre. It happens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Year 6 of Crean at IU, home losses to Northwestern, Penn St, road loss at Nebraska.

In Year 6!

Year 6 at MU, and we might not make the tournament this year either.  IN YEAR 6!

In all honesty, I'm not sure what year 6 has anything to do with it, or year 10, or year 15.  Wasn't Barnes going to be fired any day from Texas last year....wasn't that beyond year 6?  How did Coach Cal go from winning national title to NIT?  How did Brad Stevens go from Championship games back to back to CBI tournament? 

You lose talent, bring in young guys, doesn't always happen for you.  In this case, they didn't just lose talent, they lost a ton, but it's always fun to come back to these threads down the road.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Well, losing NBA first round talent can hurt a program.

crap, MU did some addition by subtraction along with losing D-League talent and they've done a great job of being painfully mediocre. It happens.

Indiana's sophomore class (they called themselves "The Movement") was ranked #6. Their freshman class was rated #6 also. Michigan's sophomore class was ranked #9 and the top player from that class (Mitch McGarry) is out for the season. Michigan freshman class was ranked #13. Indiana has a little help from their upperclassmen (mainly Sheehey), Michigan almost none. Two McDonald's All Americans at IU, none at Michigan. Both lost their top two players to the pros. Yet It's Indiana is near the bottom of the BIG and Michigan at the top. Interesting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
Indiana's sophomore class (they called themselves "The Movement") was ranked #6. Their freshman class was rated #6 also. Michigan's sophomore class was ranked #9 and the top player from that class (Mitch McGarry) is out for the season. Michigan freshman class was ranked #13. Indiana has a little help from their upperclassmen (mainly Sheehey), Michigan almost none. Two McDonald's All Americans at IU, none at Michigan. Both lost their top two players to the pros. Yet It's Indiana is near the bottom of the BIG and Michigan at the top. Interesting.

That's nice.  Erik Williams was a top 100 player, Juan Anderson was as well (96th).  This just in, recruiting rankings are like preseason poll rankings....WORTHLESS.  Jamil Wilson was 40th...is he playing at that level?  Is that due to coaching or a miss in the rankings...or both?

But say these rankings are accurate, as you want to portray.  This year's MU freshman class was ranked 7th in the country...so are you going to say that we should be besting EVERYONE in our league in the coming years that have lesser recruiting class rankings?  Or are you going to change the standard you are applying to IU?

Just checking for consistency.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Update: the masses are learning from LNH.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
That's nice.  Erik Williams was a top 100 player, Juan Anderson was as well (96th).  This just in, recruiting rankings are like preseason poll rankings....WORTHLESS.  Jamil Wilson was 40th...is he playing at that level?  Is that due to coaching or a miss in the rankings...or both?

But say these rankings are accurate, as you want to portray.  This year's MU freshman class was ranked 7th in the country...so are you going to say that we should be besting EVERYONE in our league in the coming years that have lesser recruiting class rankings?  Or are you going to change the standard you are applying to IU?

Just checking for consistency.

Of course they're not 100% accurate. And already from our 10th ranked class we've lost McKay. And Duane Wilson didn't play this year. Stuff happens that changes every team's expectations.

Here's the thing, the parallels between Michigan and Indiana this year were remarkable. They both relied heavily on underclassmen. They both had highly regarded freshman and sophomore classes. Before the injury to McGarry, expectations were similar (I think Michigan was 21 and IU was 25 in the coaches poll). It's very rare when two teams in a conference begin the season looking like mirror images of one another and rarer still when those teams move in totally different directions. Two houses built in the same subdivision using the same materials. One ends up in Architectural Digest and the other has structural damage. I think that's interesting and it makes me wonder why.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
Update: the masses are learning from LNH.

The masses?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
Of course they're not 100% accurate. And already from our 10th ranked class we've lost McKay. And Duane Wilson didn't play this year. Stuff happens that changes every team's expectations.

Here's the thing, the parallels between Michigan and Indiana this year were remarkable. They both relied heavily on underclassmen. They both had highly regarded freshman and sophomore classes. Before the injury to McGarry, expectations were similar (I think Michigan was 21 and IU was 25 in the coaches poll). It's very rare when two teams in a conference begin the season looking like mirror images of one another and rarer still when those teams move in totally different directions. Two houses built in the same subdivision using the same materials. One ends up in Architectural Digest and the other has structural damage. I think that's interesting and it makes me wonder why.

IU beat Michigan...right?    It's cute that you are actually suggesting that the "same materials" are in play as if these are pieces of wood or steel.  Please. 

I'll ask again, since we have the 7th ranked recruiting class you're going to use the same standard for MU...right...I mean, afterall it's the same "materials" being used.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:09:00 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
IU beat Michigan...right? 

Yes they did. Beat Wisconsin too. As I said in my post, plenty of talent, similar or better than Michigan's. And just as experienced as the Wolverines. Makes one wonder why that talent shows up so infrequently.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
Yes they did. Beat Wisconsin too. As I said in my post, plenty of talent, similar or better than Michigan's. And just as experienced as the Wolverines. Makes one wonder why that talent shows up so infrequently.

You didn't answer the other part....are these teams playing with robots, since they are the same "materials" or in actuality is every player a human being, different in their skills, abilities, etc and the ratings can be off the charts bad?