Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who would you rather see starting?

Derrick Wilson
38 (31.1%)
John Dawson
84 (68.9%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson or John Dawson?  (Read 17888 times)

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
Derrick Wilson or John Dawson?
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:25 AM »
Lets nip this in the bud.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
Re: Derrick Wilson or John Dawson?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »
This isn't the all star game, getting more votes doesn't make that player the starter, this will resolve nothing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
This isn't the all star game, getting more votes doesn't make that player the starter, this will resolve nothing.

+1.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
Early results show 45% of our fan base would continue to like to lose to every team in the Top 50....with a guy shooting 8% from 3 point land, 38% from the field, and 48% from the FT line.  I suspect we are the only college basketball team that starts a junior PG who has made 2, 3 point field goals in his career.  Add in the fact he's gotten the most minutes of anyone on the team?  Wow.  Just wow.  Those 5ppg, 3.8 assits and 1.6 turnovers have made all the difference in the world for this team.

People comment, we are just so close, we are having such bad luck this year - maybe if we had a PG that could just score 8ppg, in 30 minutes, we'd have won a few more...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

leever

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Lets nip this in the bud.

Yes!  A poll!  That should "nip this in the bud".  Whatever "this" is.

Are there any other threads related to Wilson / Dawson?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
Yes!  A poll!  That should "nip this in the bud".  Whatever "this" is.

Are there any other threads related to Wilson / Dawson?

Are there any that aren't?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:10 AM »
Does it matter who starts?
Goal is National Championship

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Are there any that aren't?

Not once NERS gets involved.   I think the only safe one is the beer thread. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
Early results show 45% of our fan base would continue to like to lose to every team in the Top 50

And the majority of our fan base thinks our head coach is an idiot.

The fact is, that 45% (apparently like Buzz) thinks we'd still lose to top 50 teams with Dawson...only probably by more.

Anyhow, take it up with Buzz.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »
Could we get a show of hands as to the Derrick Wilson voters?  I thought there were only a handful of idiots on this topic.  But I guess we have 16 at present.

Personally, I kind of enjoyed winning at Georgetown...and looking decent against Xavier.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
I voted for Derrick because I trust Buzz to know the players' skill sets and readiness to play better than Ners, Nevada and Dreadman.

Guess that makes me an idiot. ::)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
Not once NERS gets involved.   I think the only safe one is the beer thread. 

nah, wilson is a hops guy, dawson likes porters and stouts.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
Dawson.

A team can't compete in today's game without a PG that is at least somewhat of a threat to score.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »
Could we get a show of hands as to the Derrick Wilson voters?  I thought there were only a handful of idiots on this topic.  But I guess we have 16 at present.

Personally, I kind of enjoyed winning at Georgetown...and looking decent against Xavier.

I did not vote, but will tendd to vote against a poster who calls others idiots.  It does not support my ability to believe their opinion is sound.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
I voted for Derrick because I trust Buzz to know the players' skill sets and readiness to play better than Ners, Nevada and Dreadman.

Guess that makes me an idiot. ::)

No Gooo....you are not an idiot....just on this topic....otherwise seem to have good insight.  I'm just shocked that you feel we'd do worse with Dawson and lose by more to the Top 50 teams than we've done with Derrick.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
I did not vote, but will tendd to vote against a poster who calls others idiots.  It does not support my ability to believe their opinion is sound.
You'll note my original post said handful of idiots on this topic.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
No Gooo....you are not an idiot....just on this topic....otherwise seem to have good insight.  I'm just shocked that you feel we'd do worse with Dawson and lose by more to the Top 50 teams than we've done with Derrick.

Since you know for a fact Dawson gives MU a better chance at winning, but Buzz continues to play Wilson, then Buzz must be so egregious in his coaching that you have to agree that he no longer deserves to be the coach at MU.  So please clarify.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »
I've seen one game out of 20 where, to my eyes, Dawson was the better choice for more minutes than Derrick.   JD had a really nice game against Georgetown.   I thought he was abysmal against Butler and Villanova and got exactly the minutes he deserved. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
The bigger issue is the starting backcourt logging 30-35 mpg. The more they play, their (already limited) effectiveness diminishes on both ends. Saw that against Nova in the second half/OT. Looked like they had concrete Nikes on down the stretch.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
We just need a PG like 'Nova's Ryan A. He won the game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
If I could, I would vote for neither of those choices.

Mine would be "Both."

Go into every game expecting to split the minutes right down the middle and then adjust on the fly as game situations dictate. Don't put Dawson in and yank him 1 minute later after one mistake. But also don't put Dawson in and let him suck for more than the 4 minutes he sucked against Nova. Same is true of Derrick. Give him a leash because mistakes happen, but don't let the leash be too long.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
We just need a PG like 'Nova's Ryan A. He won the game.

Tough to argue.   He did a very nice job of controlling the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
If I could, I would vote for neither of those choices.

Mine would be "Both."

Go into every game expecting to split the minutes right down the middle and then adjust on the fly as game situations dictate. Don't put Dawson in and yank him 1 minute later after one mistake. But also don't put Dawson in and let him suck for more than the 4 minutes he sucked against Nova. Same is true of Derrick. Give him a leash because mistakes happen, but don't let the leash be too long.

And if you look at the last two games, that very well may be what Buzz intends.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
I've seen one game out of 20 where, to my eyes, Dawson was the better choice for more minutes than Derrick.   JD had a really nice game against Georgetown.   I thought he was abysmal against Butler and Villanova and got exactly the minutes he deserved. 

Abysmal, is the production of what our guy getting 30+ minutes a game consistently, is "producing."  Individually, and collectively the team's record.

It's beyond comical to me that you are so quick to judge Dawson as being abysmal in 3-8 minutes of total playing time against the likes of Butler and Villanova - when you have 30+ minutes of abysmal play by Derrick in 16 of our 20 games thus far.  Dawson has gotten 1 game of 30 minutes of playing time, and he showed well.  You simply cannot judge a player in a couple of 2-3 minute stints of action...

feedback