Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Game thoughts  (Read 7032 times)

tower912

• All American
DePaul Game thoughts
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
1.  Start Derrick at PG
2. Twin towers starting isn't the answer.   Poor ball movement
3.  Thank you, DePaul, for single covering Davante.   Nice game big fella
4.  Best team offensively today was Derrick, Todd, Jake, Jamil, Davante.   
5.  Deonte looked like a frosh.
6.   Whither JJJ and STjr?
7.  Everybody other than Davante, make your bleepin free throws.
8.  Nice adjustment in the second half to start contesting Depaul 3's.
9.  36-16 game ending runs are fun
10.   Indiana got rolled.  At home.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
Re: DePaul Game thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
Juan hardly saw floor in second half after starting.
Otule hardly saw floor in second half after starting.
Three guard offense Mayo, Thomas and D. Wilson played long stretches together.

Besides the DNPs of others, Buzz cutting his rotation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
Deonte hardly played in the second half, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
Deonte hardly played in the second half, too. 

Liked that call today.  He's got tunnel vision on offense - only sees the hoop.  Sometimes you need the aggressiveness, other times you need the awareness.   

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Depaul must be horrible. That is as bad a game we have played in years and still won by 10. Thank you Gardner.
No minutes for Johnson? Is he hurt?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
I am sure it was just coincidence that the most repeated commercial during the first half was for a prostate exam.  Not sure if MU's play during the first half or the thought of a prostate exam was more uncomfortable.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
Liked that call today.  He's got tunnel vision on offense - only sees the hoop.  Sometimes you need the aggressiveness, other times you need the awareness.   

it seems like sometimes he still has tunnel vision on defense too - still only staring at the hoop

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Liked that call today.  He's got tunnel vision on offense - only sees the hoop.  Sometimes you need the aggressiveness, other times you need the awareness.    

Deonte was also absolutely brutal on defense today...even in zone.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »
As I keep saying.

The offense is simply better with Todd mayo on floor.

I would like to see JJJ with some of Jakes minutes but that simply isn't happening for whatever reason.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
As I keep saying.

The offense is simply better with Todd mayo on floor.

I would like to see JJJ with some of Jakes minutes but that simply isn't happening for whatever reason.

Because Jake plays well.  He was solid again today.  When Todd comes off the bench and score like today, JJJ just isn't going to get the minutes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

Because Jake plays well.  He was solid again today.  When Todd comes off the bench and score like today, JJJ just isn't going to get the minutes.

Jake doesn't play well. It's a pray he gets a little warm from 3 and makes 2 in a row. His defense is decent. He doesn't do anything else.

You could give JJJ his minutes and things would work the same.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
Jake doesn't play well. It's a pray he gets a little warm from 3 and makes 2 in a row. His defense is decent. He doesn't do anything else.

Holy crap.  What were you watching?  Did you SEE the defense that Jake played today???

Furthermore, when MU made their run, Jake and Todd were BOTH on the floor.  It worked very well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Not to mention, as I have brought up before, JT has by and large outplayed JJJ offensively in games where we have faced quality opposition. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »

That's crazy.  Jake played well today.  He's been very consistent over the last several games.  Nice shot off the double screen.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Give JJ Jakes minutes. Jake can't score or even be productive - good pass for example -in transition. Buzz needs for this team to get a lot of points in transition because they can't shoot well. JJJ Burton Dawson can finish and pass - they should all be getting minutes IMO. Love Jakes character but being a guard and being non entity on the offense except for the one situation where he gets an open 3 - really holds the offense back and makes it hard for the team to create an offensive identity.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Not to mention, as I have brought up before, JT has by and large outplayed JJJ offensively in games where we have faced quality opposition. 

Well, JJJ hasn't exactly had the same opportunity against quality opposition as Jake. Jake plays well when 3 guards are in at the same time. I don't think jake should be out there with just one other guard as he is in the starting lineup. Think Jake, mayo, and Derrick Wilson would be a decent group to start games with.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »

Not going to disagree that Jake has outplayed JJ but give JJ 30+ and the make a fair comparison.  The first 5 minutes the bench should have been cleared today that was the worst basketball I have seen.  My sons 3rd grade team gives more effort than they did early on

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
Not going to disagree that Jake has outplayed JJ but give JJ 30+ and the make a fair comparison.  The first 5 minutes the bench should have been cleared today that was the worst basketball I have seen.  My sons 3rd grade team gives more effort than they did early on

Buzz will never do this if JJ hasn't earned it

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

Jajuan hasn't exactly gotten a chance to prove himself against any better teams so far. Jake has shown up vs some good teams but other times is a no-show. 0-7 from the field vs Ohio State in 29 minutes. JJJ DNP. Jake with 0 points in 26 minutes at Bucky. He has shown up in some games against good team, but his percentages in those games aren't very good. Jake is a better option defensively, but I question that JJJ couldn't do better than Jake offensively if given the chance.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »

And as I have brought up before. JJJ hasn't had the chance.

With Jake we have zero good wins.

It really isn't hard to figure out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
OMG...not this again.  "If only the guy I think is better played as much as the guy Buzz thinks is better, he would do just as well."

Just look at the games where they both played against top competition...ASU, GW, SDSU, UW, NM and Creighton.  

JJJ got 10+ minutes in all but two of them, and didn't do much of anything outside of ASU.  And went completely scoreless in four of them...and didn't manage to get even an assist or rebound in three of those four.

No one around here would call me a JT fan.  But he has simply been better than JJJ.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

Holy crap.  What were you watching?  Did you SEE the defense that Jake played today???

Furthermore, when MU made their run, Jake and Todd were BOTH on the floor.  It worked very well.

And yes. I have also made it abundantly clear. That Jake starts making shots with guys like Todd or JJJ in the game

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
And as I have brought up before. JJJ hasn't had the chance.

With Jake we have zero good wins.

It really isn't hard to figure out.
With Jamil we have zero good wins

With Davante we have zero good wins

With <insert name here> we have zero good wins

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »
OMG...not this again.  "If only the guy I think is better played as much as the guy Buzz thinks is better, he would do just as well."

Just look at the games where they both played against top competition...ASU, GW, SDSU, UW, NM and Creighton.  

JJJ got 10+ minutes in all but two of them, and didn't do much of anything outside of ASU.  And went completely scoreless in four of them...and didn't manage to get even an assist or rebound in three of those four.

No one around here would call me a JT fan.  But he has simply been better than JJJ.

You are using 10 minutes as a judge? When does jake ever get going right away? Do you want their shooting %? Their fts?

We are always down out of the gates because guys like Jake don't start well. Yet you use such a small time sample for JJJ

Again, ZERO good wins with Jake.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Jajuan hasn't exactly gotten a chance to prove himself against any better teams so far. Jake has shown up vs some good teams but other times is a no-show. 0-7 from the field vs Ohio State in 29 minutes. JJJ DNP. Jake with 0 points in 26 minutes at Bucky. He has shown up in some games against good team, but his percentages in those games aren't very good. Jake is a better option defensively, but I question that JJJ couldn't do better than Jake offensively if given the chance.

11 min v. GW.  No points, no assists, no rebounds
9 min v. SDSU.  Ditto
10 min v. UW  No points, one assist, two rebounds
7 min v. NM.  No points, assists, or rebounds
14 min v. Creighton.  Four points, two assists, one rebound

He has had plenty of opportunity.

feedback