Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Game thoughts  (Read 7036 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: DePaul Game thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »

Because Jake plays well.  He was solid again today.  When Todd comes off the bench and score like today, JJJ just isn't going to get the minutes.

Dude.

It was DePaul. Who led most of the game (about 32 minutes).

And it wasn't Jake's 6 points nor was it his 2-6 FG performance that won the game, it was Davante's takeover.

Let's see how he holds his own vs. Xavier.

I'll happily eat my words if he leads MU to a victory.
But I doubt it's going to be him.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
He was the primary defender on Brandon Young today...and he held him scoreless in 34 minutes....a guy averaging 14+.

Never said he was the reason they won.  Never said he was fantastic.  I said he was "solid."

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
That's crazy.  Jake played well today.  He's been very consistent over the last several games.  Nice shot off the double screen.

Was today the first time Buzz started using double screens to free up Jake?  I don't recall seeing the double screens prior to today, but am not 100% confident in my recollection.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »
Marquette is now 9-6 with 3 Ls to No. 3 Ohio State, No. 4 Wisconsin, No. 21 San Diego State and a 4th to Creighton in Omaha. 1-1 in conference.

Far below expectations, but I liked a lot of what I saw today against a pretty decent DePaul team.

Put me in the "the worst is behind us" camp.
We Are Marquette

raul

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
DG played like he was back to his normal self which includes making FTs. Some nice passes today by the team. Hard to be excited about winning at home vs DePaul but its nice to win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
I'm not a fan who demands the kids play. I understand most of what Buzz does. And yet I still was surprised that JJJ didn't play at least a few minutes today, especially when we fell behind and nobody could hit a shot.

Worked out this time, though, as Jake's 3s were a huge momentum swing for us and Mayo had one of his better all-around games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
Those of us watching the game yesterday rather than the ball would have seen Jake playing outstanding defense, coaching others as to where they should be, running the offence with precision, and making the shot on the one play called for him all game.  (By the way, look for that one again out of a TO or late game - the double screen).  Jake was even coaching Buzz not to call a TO late in the game on a tie ball because he knew MU had the possession arrow. 

It's possible that a leader is emerging, and it's Jake.

At least for this game, he was the 2nd most important person on the court after DG.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
No. It has been becoming more and more apparent that the team flows better with Todd in the game. Buzz has been going to that more often recently. If JJJ is ever going to start getting minutes now it will be jakes that go down, not saying he's bench he will just get less than his 36 today.

If Todd doesn't get around his 29 today this is almost no chance we win more than 5 games in conference and none will be worth noting

JJJ will take minutes from Mayo, not Jake. Here is why:

Mayo and JJJ are the same position. Jake is not.

Before you jump in and say "what? They are both 2 guards." Stop. I know. But Jake is a three point shooter and Mayo is a slasher. JJJ is also a slasher. Mayo/JJJ can shoot the three but not nearly as well as Jake. You need Jake's three point shooting in order to unclog the lane and free up the frontcourt and the slashers. I have agreed with you for awhile that Mayo should be on the court, he is our best perimeter player by far, but you need Jake in there to free up the lane.

I think Derrick, Mayo, Jake, Jamil, Davante is our best lineup this  year. Maybe sub in Juan/Deonte/JJJ in for Derrick
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback