Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Game thoughts  (Read 7033 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: DePaul Game thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
Not going to disagree that Jake has outplayed JJ but give JJ 30+ and the make a fair comparison.  The first 5 minutes the bench should have been cleared today that was the worst basketball I have seen.  My sons 3rd grade team gives more effort than they did early on

It's a fair comparison at The Al. Every. Single. Day.

When JJJ outplays Jake at the Al, he'll get more minutes.

I'm not sure when people started to think that games (conference games especially) were good times to experiment and compare players.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »
With Jamil we have zero good wins

With Davante we have zero good wins

With <insert name here> we have zero good wins

Davante isn't a starter. Look what happens today when you make it a point to just let him go to work.

With Jake Thomas playing starter minutes we are the worst team in buzz era by 7 miles
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »

You are using 10 minutes as a judge? When does jake ever get going right away? Do you want their shooting %? Their fts?

We are always down out of the gates because guys like Jake don't start well. Yet you use such a small time sample for JJJ

Again, ZERO good wins with Jake.

10 minutes is a quarter of a game.  He simply disappears at this point in his career against good competition.

See, I agree with you when it comes to the beginning of games with Jake.  But you know who you should blame for JJJ not playing more?  Not Buzz...not Jake...but JJJ for not being more consistent.  

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »

11 min v. GW.  No points, no assists, no rebounds
9 min v. SDSU.  Ditto
10 min v. UW  No points, one assist, two rebounds
7 min v. NM.  No points, assists, or rebounds
14 min v. Creighton.  Four points, two assists, one rebound

He has had plenty of opportunity.

Now I know why you said 10+ min. 9,7, 10 and 11 lol.

Yeah splendid amount of time to do something

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
Davante isn't a starter. Look what happens today when you make it a point to just let him go to work.

With Jake Thomas playing starter minutes we are the worst team in buzz era by 7 miles
n/m  I'm not getting sucked into this stupidity again.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »

10 minutes is a quarter of a game.  He simply disappears at this point in his career against good competition.

See, I agree with you when it comes to the beginning of games with Jake.  But you know who you should blame for JJJ not playing more?  Not Buzz...not Jake...but JJJ for not being more consistent.  

But Jake isn't consistent either

He is as streaky as they come shooting the ball.

It takes a huge deficit and then he makes a couple in a row.

Why are we in a deficit because we start Juan, Chris and Derrick all who cannot score. And the. Jake who has 1 way of scoring and no way of getting that for himself.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
n/m  I'm not getting sucked into this stupidity again.

Ya. Because what I said was wrong . Just admit, you have nothing to come back with. Good try though.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Jake doesn't play well. It's a pray he gets a little warm from 3 and makes 2 in a row. His defense is decent. He doesn't do anything else.

You could give JJJ his minutes and things would work the same.

Even if you are only a pure stats guy (and ignore the rest of what goes on in a game), Jake had 6 pts, 4 rbs and 2 steals today.  That is a solid box score for your 3rd or 4th offensive option.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »
Now I know why you said 10+ min. 9,7, 10 and 11 lol.

Yeah splendid amount of time to do something

It's enough.  Take it up with Buzz then.

Seriously, Jake has a decent game, shutting down one of their top scorers and hitting some key three point shots, and all people want to do is replace him with a guy who hasn't played as well.

Every year I get sucked into these arguments.  People always think the new guys are better because they have potential.  No one looks to see what is actually occurring on the court.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
And btw sultan, all I've said this whole year is we have to have 3 of Ox, jamil, Todd, JJJ and deonte on the floor at all times

Meaning only 2 of the 4 "starters" playing together . It could be jake and Derrick. Obviously it worked. But 3 of the scorers have to play.

JJJ not playing vs DePaul is stupid. Thankfully Ox saved the disaster though.

O and Todd. The two guys people love to pile on then defend jake and derrick

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
The best lineup today was Davante, Jamil, Jake, Todd, Derrick.   I still like bringing Davante off of the bench, but I am in favor of replacing Juan with Todd, Deonte, or JJJ.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
If JJJ was as good as some think he is he would be taking Mayo's minutes. From what I've seen of him he has a lot of potential. Right now, Burton looks much better than JJJ when they are on the floor. Oh, guess that is why Burton plays more.
Goal is National Championship

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
Even if you are only a pure stats guy (and ignore the rest of what goes on in a game), Jake had 6 pts, 4 rbs and 2 steals today.  That is a solid box score for your 3rd or 4th offensive option.

3rd or 4th option? Yeah maybe 4th when Ox and Todd and jamil are all in.

As a starter? He becomes the 2nd by default and reason we are always in holes.

My point. Stick JJJ or Todd in the starting lineup and they can go get their shot. It's not just jamil anymore

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
JJJ not playing really is foolish. I am sure Sultan has 30 reasons why he did not, but this guy does not get it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »

It's enough.  Take it up with Buzz then.

Seriously, Jake has a decent game, shutting down one of their top scorers and hitting some key three point shots, and all people want to do is replace him with a guy who hasn't played as well.

Every year I get sucked into these arguments.  People always think the new guys are better because they have potential.  No one looks to see what is actually occurring on the court.

Every year we have...

Vanders, jimmy bs, lazar, jae, djo

Every year we win games. You are comparing those to now?

This is first time I have called for starters to go to bench, and there is a reason, they are not winning

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
If JJJ was as good as some think he is he would be taking Mayo's minutes. From what I've seen of him he has a lot of potential. Right now, Burton looks much better than JJJ when they are on the floor. Oh, guess that is why Burton plays more.

Why in gods name would he take mayos minutes?

Unless you want to lose every game out

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2014/01/04/90784/#boxscore

Essentially a 6 man rotation in the second half, until Jamil got in foul trouble late and Buzz started offense/defensing with Juan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
OMG...not this again.  "If only the guy I think is better played as much as the guy Buzz thinks is better, he would do just as well."

Just look at the games where they both played against top competition...ASU, GW, SDSU, UW, NM and Creighton.  

JJJ got 10+ minutes in all but two of them, and didn't do much of anything outside of ASU.  And went completely scoreless in four of them...and didn't manage to get even an assist or rebound in three of those four.

No one around here would call me a JT fan.  But he has simply been better than JJJ.

In games where we have played against what I consider the better teams we have played (OSU, ASU, GW, SDSU, UW, NM, Creighton) Jake has shot under 32% from the field, including his 0-7 performance against OSU in 29 minutes that you didn't really mention. JJJ didn't play in that game, but he probably wouldn't have done very good anyways.

JJJ like you said hasn't played spectacular against top competition, but let's not act like Jake has done better. If Jake is starting over JJJ because he works harder in practice,that is understandable. He isn't starting over JJJ because of what he has done in games, however.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:41:30 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »
In games where we have played against what I consider the better teams we have played (OSU, ASU, GW, SDSU, UW, NM, Creighton) Jake has shot under 32% from the field, including his 0-7 performance against OSU in 29 minutes that you didn't really mention. JJJ didn't play in that game, but he probably wouldn't have done very good anyways.

JJJ like you said hasn't played spectacular against top competition, but let's not act like Jake has done better. If Jake is starting over JJJ because he works harder in practice,that is understandable. He isn't starting over JJJ because of what he has done in games, however.
There is more to basketball than shooting.  There is a whole other end of the court that maybe you should watch for a while.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
There is more to basketball than shooting.  There is a whole other end of the court that maybe you should watch for a while.

OK, Jake is a better defensive option than JJJ, that is agreeable.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Why in gods name would he take mayos minutes?

Unless you want to lose every game out
Did you read? The point is if JJJ was that good or ready he would be taking some of Mayo's minutes. I'm not saying he should take them.

Goal is National Championship

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Did you read? The point is if JJJ was that good or ready he would be taking some of Mayo's minutes. I'm not saying he should take them.

No, I don't think you understand.

If JJJ was good enough(in buzz eyes) he would start getting jakes minutes.

If anyone starts getting Todds minutes we are even more screwed than we already are. The offense needs Todd on the floor.

That, isn't opinion. Jake vs JJJ is opinion.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »
No, I don't think you understand.

If JJJ was good enough(in buzz eyes) he would start getting jakes minutes.

If anyone starts getting Todds minutes we are even more screwed than we already are. The offense needs Todd on the floor.

That, isn't opinion. Jake vs JJJ is opinion.

You are completely ignoring buzz'is depth chart if you think jakes minutes are going down before mayo's.  Not saying jake is better than mayo or vice versa, but it's pretty clear that jake is higher on the depth chart, meaning mayo's minutes would be the first to go down if you want more JJJ

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »
You are completely ignoring buzz'is depth chart if you think jakes minutes are going down before mayo's.  Not saying jake is better than mayo or vice versa, but it's pretty clear that jake is higher on the depth chart, meaning mayo's minutes would be the first to go down if you want more JJJ

No. It has been becoming more and more apparent that the team flows better with Todd in the game. Buzz has been going to that more often recently. If JJJ is ever going to start getting minutes now it will be jakes that go down, not saying he's bench he will just get less than his 36 today.

If Todd doesn't get around his 29 today this is almost no chance we win more than 5 games in conference and none will be worth noting

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »

I actually think we need Mayo (and Jake) on the floor.  Would like to see a lineup like Jamil, JJJ, Mayo, Jake and Gardner/O'tule. 

You can then Sub in Burton/Juan/Taylor for Jamil (and swap D. Wilson at the same time for any of the other 3)

But would always keep two of JJJ/Mayo/Jake in at all times.

feedback