[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz needs to sit Derrick Wilson  (Read 68689 times)

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
Buzz needs to sit Derrick Wilson
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
Not saying anything bad about the kid himself, but Derrick Wilson needs to stop being the point guard. Buzz needs to only play him 5-7 minutes a game to give someone a rest.  If he plays point guard the whole season, MU will not make the NCAA tourney, and will barely finish above .500. Whether in a half court situation or fast break, MU is basically playing 4on 5  when on offense. Defensively, without being able to hand check,(point of emphasis)he is not a very good on the ball defender, anymore.

Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Buzz needs to sit Derrick Wilson
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
I like you
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Not saying anything bad about the kid himself, but Derrick Wilson needs to stop being the point guard. Buzz needs to only play him 5-7 minutes a game to give someone a rest.  If he plays point guard the whole season, MU will not make the NCAA tourney, and will barely finish above .500. Whether in a half court situation or fast break, MU is basically playing 4on 5  when on offense. Defensively, without being able to hand check,(point of emphasis)he is not a very good on the ball defender, anymore.

Jeez...thanks for bringing this up.  Good thing none of this has been discussed over the past three weeks.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »

Your analysis is 100% spot on!! I'm sure Derrick will have a decent stat line tomorrow because we are playing a inferior team. Then all of the Derrick supporters will claim how he is showing signs of improvement and he's not the problem smh  :o

leever

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

We could maybe literally play 4 on 5?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

We could maybe literally play 4 on 5?

No we are playing 4 on 5 with him in the game  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
Your analysis is 100% spot on!! I'm sure Derrick will have a decent stat line tomorrow because we are playing a inferior team. Then all of the Derrick supporters will claim how he is showing signs of improvement and he's not the problem smh  :o

The problem with people who are anti-Derrick is that they can't answer the simple question...."who should play point?"  Well, without coming up with a bunch of ridiculous alternatives.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »

Derrick will start every game (barring injury) and MU will make the tournament.

If you disagree, let's make it interesting.

(this invitation is open to anybody).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Not saying anything bad about the kid himself, but Derrick Wilson needs to stop being the point guard. Buzz needs to only play him 5-7 minutes a game to give someone a rest.  If he plays point guard the whole season, MU will not make the NCAA tourney, and will barely finish above .500. Whether in a half court situation or fast break, MU is basically playing 4on 5  when on offense. Defensively, without being able to hand check,(point of emphasis)he is not a very good on the ball defender, anymore.

Go listen to Buzz and Homer this week.  Buzz said that is exactly what happens when Derrick is on the floor (4 on 5).  This is well known and not an epiphany by you.  Buzz also described what Derrick has to do to change this ... if his defender is playing off him, Derrick is fast enough to beat his man.  Buzz wants him to literally run into him, initiating contact, drawing the foul and going to the line.  Derrick can do this.

So, what is wrong with what Buzz says?  And, as Sultan asked, if you sit Derrick, who pays the 1?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »

The problem with people who are anti-Derrick is that they can't answer the simple question...."who should play point?"  Well, without coming up with a bunch of ridiculous alternatives.

Exactly.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Go listen to Buzz and Homer this week.  Buzz said that is exactly what happens when Derrick is on the floor (4 on 5).  This is well known and not an epiphany by you.  Buzz also described what Derrick has to do to change this ... if his defender is playing off him, Derrick is fast enough to beat his man.  Buzz wants him to literally run into him, initiating contact, drawing the foul and going to the line.  Derrick can do this.

So, what is wrong with what Buzz says?  And, as Sultan asked, if you sit Derrick, who pays the 1?

Duane Wilson is just back from injury and has never played a second of D1 ball. Obviously, the job should be his. On second thought, John Dawson threw a couple nice passes against Grambling, give him the reins!

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

His defender always plays off him because he cant shoot! I find it very hard to believe that he can beat his man when said person is playing 5 ft off of him. He has finished in the lane a few times this year, but countless others he has been rejected or not even drawn iron. Throw in Dawson and let him take his lumps. He played PG all throughout high school...It's not like you completely forget what the PG job is supposed to do. I would even throw out Mayo at this point instead of Derrick. Either of these 2 couldn't possibly be anywhere worse as the bar is set extremely low. I feel Buzz is being loyal to a fault and I love Buzz!

leever

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

That's why I suggested that the poster was saying that we should "literally" play 4 on 5 because there is no better answer if Derrick sits.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Derrick isn't the starting guard who needs to sit more....

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Maybe Derrick will be late for a practice and we will find out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
Buzz isn't simply being loyal.  He is playing the best point guard on the roster.

We have had this discussion repeatedly.  But I will just point out that when Dawson played briefly last Saturday when Derrick was out of the game, he played in the off-guard position while Jamil ran the point.  So the head basketball coach, the guy you "love," didn't even think that Dawson was ready to be the back up point guard.

And before I give the ball to Todd at PG, it would be nice if he could actually unseat the guy performing poorly in front of him at his natural position.

I'm not saying that the backcourt isn't a problem, and I wouldn't doubt that Dawson gets more of a run starting tomorrow, but there simply is no good alternative to Derrick right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

Is this Untucked fellow Pudi pranking us?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »

Well, that's why the problem isn't necessarily Derrick, but what we are asking Derrick to do.

You can't ask Chris Otule to play 40min. per game and be effective. It's beyond his pay grade. Same for Davante.

With Derrick, we can't play him 38min. per game and then rant and rave about all of his shortcomings. It's not really his fault. He is who he is.

Derrick needs another role player to play PG for 15min. per night. If you can get Derrick down to 25min, I think we'll see some improvements in efficiency, and Buzz might be able to mix and match to fit the situation.

So, the problem isn't Derrick per se, but what you are asking him to do. Not many PGs in the country can be efficient and effective for 38min. per night.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
Buzz isn't simply being loyal.  He is playing the best point guard on the roster.

We have had this discussion repeatedly.  But I will just point out that when Dawson played briefly last Saturday when Derrick was out of the game, he played in the off-guard position while Jamil ran the point.  So the head basketball coach, the guy you "love," didn't even think that Dawson was ready to be the back up point guard.

And before I give the ball to Todd at PG, it would be nice if he could actually unseat the guy performing poorly in front of him at his natural position.

I'm not saying that the backcourt isn't a problem, and I wouldn't doubt that Dawson gets more of a run starting tomorrow, but there simply is no good alternative to Derrick right now.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Derrick running the point)
I think it would be worth a try to let Mayo run the point. Maybe it would engage him and help him focus. We should be exploring every possible alternative before we waste our whole season on a PG with a low floor and even lower ceiling.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Exactly, and that is why I hope to see a legitimate back up emerge over the next couple of weeks.  It would be nice to see Dawson be able to perform 8 mpg.  Not sure it's possible, but even Duane coming back might be able to get some good minutes down the line.

They are simply using Jamil there because there aren't many good alternatives in Buzz's mind right now.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Derrick running the point)
I think it would be worth a try to let Mayo run the point. Maybe it would engage him and help him focus. We should be exploring every possible alternative before we waste our whole season on a PG with a low floor and even lower ceiling.

I don't blame Derrick, he tries and he is who he is. This is an epic fail on Buzz putting him in this position.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »

1. Take it up with the coach who disagrees with you.

2. By definition, a ceiling can't be lower than a floor.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
Exactly, and that is why I hope to see a legitimate back up emerge over the next couple of weeks.  It would be nice to see Dawson be able to perform 8 mpg.  Not sure it's possible, but even Duane coming back might be able to get some good minutes down the line.

They are simply using Jamil there because there aren't many good alternatives in Buzz's mind right now.

Yea, and this is what I'm afraid of. 8mpg is nice, but I don't know if it's going to be enough.

I love Derrick, but, he should really be playing 25min. or less (depending upon the match-up).

Buzz is going to have to find some mix-n-match ways to get Derrick's minutes down.

I don't say because "Derrick can't shoot!" or any of the cliches thrown out there... I'm just saying that it's really hard for a role-player PG to be effective and efficient for 35+mpg. Physically, mentally, and match-up wise, that's a tall order.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
Derrick will start every game (barring injury) and MU will make the tournament.

If you disagree, let's make it interesting.

(this invitation is open to anybody).

Start every game? Probably.

If he averages over 30 minutes in conference absolutely zero chance we are a tourney team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »

So if someone plays and has limitations, it would be insane to keep playing him and expecting him to improve?

Someone needs to tell Jimmy Butler....