[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz needs to sit Derrick Wilson  (Read 68688 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Buzz needs to sit Derrick Wilson
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »

1. Take it up with the coach who disagrees with you.

2. By definition, a ceiling can't be lower than a floor.

Lol, might not have worded it right but I think you understand what I was getting at.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
Start every game? Probably.

If he averages over 30 minutes in conference absolutely zero chance we are a tourney team.

I don't quite agree with you that they wouldn't be a tourney team, but I certainly do hope that someone steps up enough to take 10 mpg off of Derrick at the PG position.  So far that hasn't happened.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
So if someone plays and has limitations, it would be insane to keep playing him and expecting him to improve?

Someone needs to tell Jimmy Butler....

Jimmy Butler had a skill set that could be developed...A 6ft point guard who can't penetrate and shoot not so much.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »
Start every game? Probably.

If he averages over 30 minutes in conference absolutely zero chance we are a tourney team.

ooooh, that's close.

I think he'll end up around 27-28mpg. I think Buzz is going to find some ways to fill the other 10-13min.

MU will make the tournament. That's an open bet to any of you experts out there.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
I truly believe we will find a way in too.

But whether Duane or Jamil(obviously not 2 quick dumb fouls version)

We will be filling in big for Derrick.

Some blow out of proportion his deficiencies. He's a solid role guy who deserves to play, but he cannot be the catalyst. Just can't.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Jimmy Butler had a skill set that could be developed...A 6ft point guard who can't penetrate and shoot not so much.

So your statement about insanity was wrong.  We kept doing the same thing (playing Jimmy), and the results DID change.

You know better than Buzz that Derrick won't improve too?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
So your statement about insanity was wrong.  We kept doing the same thing (playing Jimmy), and the results DID change.

I didn't read all the comments at all but...

Where the hell did a Jimmy Butler comparison come into play?

Are we mixing alcohol consumption with message board posting?

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
What happened to the moratorium? It appears the cease fire has been breached big time!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
I have not yet seen a better option on this squad.   Perhaps Duane will be different, perhaps JD has found his groove and will step up.    Through 9 games, though, DeWilson is clearly the best choice.    I am not saying that he is great.   I am not saying that he will be the best option all season.   Merely that he has been the best point guard on the team so far.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
Agree with the post, we will not make the NCAA with Derrrick at the point.  Dawson and Duane Wilson need to take over the point.  They have the talent to play a better point.  We need to run again.  I don't think we've had one fast break all year.  Derrick doesn't do that.  

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
This is new and exciting.  Not all wrong, though.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »

Again, Jimmy Butler had a skill set that could be developed...PG's either have it or don't and you can see potential in them. A good example is Isaiah Taylor from Texas. He's a freshman and his numbers aren't that great, but you can see he has what it takes and he has loads of potential. He is someone you stick with and develop because he has great potential that flashes regularly. Derrick doesn't have that.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Thomas is a much bigger problem than Derrick. Not even close. Derrick is fine

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
His defender always plays off him because he cant shoot! I find it very hard to believe that he can beat his man when said person is playing 5 ft off of him. He has finished in the lane a few times this year, but countless others he has been rejected or not even drawn iron. Throw in Dawson and let him take his lumps. He played PG all throughout high school...It's not like you completely forget what the PG job is supposed to do. I would even throw out Mayo at this point instead of Derrick. Either of these 2 couldn't possibly be anywhere worse as the bar is set extremely low. I feel Buzz is being loyal to a fault and I love Buzz!

If his defender is playing off him, it is impossible for him to get in position to draw the charge.  Derrick needs to run right into him and get the foul and go to the line.  That will force him to play closer, then Derrick can feed Ox or Wilson in the paint (he cannot with his defender playing between him and Ox).  A point guard does not need to be a shooter (but its better if he is).

Unless/Until Dawson and Duane show something, this remains MU's best option.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
Buzz isn't simply being loyal.  He is playing the best point guard on the roster.

We have had this discussion repeatedly.  But I will just point out that when Dawson played briefly last Saturday when Derrick was out of the game, he played in the off-guard position while Jamil ran the point.  So the head basketball coach, the guy you "love," didn't even think that Dawson was ready to be the back up point guard.

And before I give the ball to Todd at PG, it would be nice if he could actually unseat the guy performing poorly in front of him at his natural position.

I'm not saying that the backcourt isn't a problem, and I wouldn't doubt that Dawson gets more of a run starting tomorrow, but there simply is no good alternative to Derrick right now.

Well based on Sugar's season statistics (link below), it is quite evident Todd should be unseating Jake.  Buzz's continued insistence to give Jake big minutes, is, in my opinion an example of him being stubborn - even when all data suggest Mayo should be getting max minutes at the 2...which also makes it believable that his continued riding of Derrick could also be out of the same degree of stubbornness.  Clearly Mayo gives the team a better chance of winning than does Jake, yet Jake continues to get more minutes...defies all logic.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/roblowe14/media/Season121013.png.html
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
Again, Jimmy Butler had a skill set that could be developed...PG's either have it or don't and you can see potential in them. A good example is Isaiah Taylor from Texas. He's a freshman and his numbers aren't that great, but you can see he has what it takes and he has loads of potential. He is someone you stick with and develop because he has great potential that flashes regularly. Derrick doesn't have that.

You keep ignoring the fact that your statement was wrong.  Maybe that's the definition of insanity....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
Jake Thomas is this year's Trent Lockett.   Buzz has him in there for defense, glue, the occasional basket.   I was wrong about Trent last year.   I swore up and down that Todd would/should start when he came back from suspension.   Clearly, I was wrong.   Buzz likes JT because he is always in the right place.   IMO, Jake is underutilized in Buzz's offense, as he should be the one feeding Gardner from the wing instead of DeWil.  Jake's guy has to stay up on him because he doesn't want him to make the first one.   This would give Gardner more room immediately.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
If his defender is playing off him, it is impossible for him to get in position to draw the charge.  Derrick needs to run right into him and get the foul and go to the line.  That will force him to play closer, then Derrick can feed Ox or Wilson in the paint (he cannot with his defender playing between him and Ox).  A point guard does not need to be a shooter (but its better if he is).

Unless/Until Dawson and Duane show something, this remains MU's best option.

You have to be joking? If he is playing off, he can anticipate what he is going to do and be able to take charges all day. And if he gets to the line he's not really too good of a free throw shooter.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
Duane Wilson is just back from injury and has never played a second of D1 ball. Obviously, the job should be his. On second thought, John Dawson threw a couple nice passes against Grambling, give him the reins!

Sadly, many people actually have those opinions.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
Thomas is a much bigger problem than Derrick. Not even close. Derrick is fine

Derrick is not fine. But yeah, Jake is a huge problem.

It is comical that people can actually be ok with our current starting backcourt.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
2. By definition, a ceiling can't be lower than a floor.

Messrs. Camus, Kafka, Heller, Vonnegut, Pinter, Beckett, Ionesco, and Abe would rightfully disagree with your definition...

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Derrick is not fine. But yeah, Jake is a huge problem.

It is comical that people can actually be ok with our current starting backcourt.

I'm not so sure many are "ok with our current starting backcourt."

The way I look at it, many fans seem to think one of the following:

1.  We should replace BOTH Derrick and Jake because we have better options at both positions.
2.  We should replace ONLY Derrick because we have better PG options, but start Jake as our best SG
3.  We should replace ONLY Jake because we have better SG options, but Derrick is our best PG

I am defending Derrick as a started because I am in camp 3.  He is far from perfect, but I just haven't seen a better option yet.  And even with my support of Derrick starting, I agree it would be better if he played more like 25 mpg.  I suspect that isn't happening because Buzz doesn't think the other options are even close.

On the other hand, I think both Todd and JJJ have shown themselves to be better options than Jake.  People keep excusing Jake's inconsistency with the fact that he doesn't usually get the ball in good shooting positions.  That may be true, but fo rme that's the exact reason we'd be better off with Todd or JJJ -- they can create shots instead of just depending to being able to take every shot in perfect rhythm like Jake.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Jake Thomas is this year's Trent Lockett.   Buzz has him in there for defense, glue, the occasional basket.   I was wrong about Trent last year.   I swore up and down that Todd would/should start when he came back from suspension.   Clearly, I was wrong.   Buzz likes JT because he is always in the right place.   IMO, Jake is underutilized in Buzz's offense, as he should be the one feeding Gardner from the wing instead of DeWil.  Jake's guy has to stay up on him because he doesn't want him to make the first one.   This would give Gardner more room immediately.
The PG position is killing JT's offense (I will officially say the PG position from now on because Buzz is convinced the alternatives are not an upgrade, and if he is convinced, I am convinced).  Jake is no star, but he can shoot if he is open.  Because of his overall lack of quickness, he will never be open as long as his man doesn't have to play help defense, and his man will never have to play help defense, because the guy guarding our PG can play all the help defense he wants without fear.  You guys that think Todd is the answer, just know he will have the same problem.  He is quicker and is more likely to free himself, but he will always have a chaser when he is on the floor for the same reason, and, should he attempt to take the ball to the basket, he will face an extra defender, also for the same reason.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
I'm not so sure many are "ok with our current starting backcourt."

The way I look at it, many fans seem to think one of the following:

1.  We should replace BOTH Derrick and Jake because we have better options at both positions.
2.  We should replace ONLY Derrick because we have better PG options, but start Jake as our best SG
3.  We should replace ONLY Jake because we have better SG options, but Derrick is our best PG

I am defending Derrick as a started because I am in camp 3.  He is far from perfect, but I just haven't seen a better option yet.  And even with my support of Derrick starting, I agree it would be better if he played more like 25 mpg.  I suspect that isn't happening because Buzz doesn't think the other options are even close.

On the other hand, I think both Todd and JJJ have shown themselves to be better options than Jake.  People keep excusing Jake's inconsistency with the fact that he doesn't usually get the ball in good shooting positions.  That may be true, but fo rme that's the exact reason we'd be better off with Todd or JJJ -- they can create shots instead of just depending to being able to take every shot in perfect rhythm like Jake.

right now with duane being hurt and not proven a single thing I am also in camp 3. Jake just simply isn't a D1 heavy minutes player. Derrick becomes much less a liability if we have guys around him who can score. Surround Derrick with Todd, JJJ, Deonte, OX, Jamil he becomes better. Those guys can get themselves points. I mean for gods sake Davante looks like Allen Iverson taking the ball to the hole compared to Jake. It is beyond embarrassing.

During the SDSU game they showed a comical stat. Jake was shooting 37% from 3(very streaky at that) and his OVERALL FG% was 30%!!! Considering he shoots FAR more 3s than 2s. If his overall drops that much I am guessing his 2 pt % was around 15.

I refuse to even look up his numbers btw. Just guessing based off what they showed during that game.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
What happened to the moratorium? It appears the cease fire has been breached big time!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kb3tfk8dxvU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kb3tfk8dxvU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>