Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bottom line  (Read 12910 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bottom line
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
I agree with this completely.  You never saw a drop in efficiency when Dawson came in.  There was a problem with the press when they put all the backups in.

When he put the starters back on the floor, it was Mayo and Jamil Wilson breaking the press....that should be very telling as to our pg play.

This is funny.

"When Dawson was in and turned the ball over, it was everyone else's fault.  When Derrick was in and they stopped turning it over, Derrick didn't do anything."

Anything to fit your narrative I guess.

boyonthedock

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
Per kenpom, MU is now best in the country at free throw rate, which is nice.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
No more switchables!  We need point guards!!!!

I'm good with switchables, just get some solid point guards that can distribute but also get to the hoop and score. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »

This is funny.

"When Dawson was in and turned the ball over, it was everyone else's fault.  When Derrick was in and they stopped turning it over, Derrick didn't do anything."

Anything to fit your narrative I guess.

Dawson had one turnover, when he fell to the floor breaking the press.  D. Wilson had two turnovers, one of which was him just throwing it into the stands.  Moreover, as opposed to letting Dawson try to break the press, Wilson wasn't even asked to help the press break.

Not a narrative, just the facts.  To say that Derrick standing on the opposite end of the court did something to help the press break is absurd.  Put the same roster in with Dawson standing in the same spot and nothing changes.

I may be over-exaggerating how bad D. Wilson was, but you are over-exaggerating that he was "fine"...the reality is neither right now is capable of taking this team on a deep run.  I would like to see Mayo get more of a chance at pg.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
]

We all knew Derrick's offensive game was limited.
But it really puts MU in a bind with Duane out.
Duane's injury is probably the single greatest factor right now to the backcourt success.
It's unfair to put such a responsibility on a freshman, but Derrick can't shoot and Jake can't make his own shot.
Dawson and Todd are going to have to step it up. Also, I will not be surprised if Buzz does go the Point Forward route.

More important than MU's ranking to me is their play.
If DG and/or Jamil gets doubled, the other teammates must recognize the opportunities and go for them.
Or we're going to have slugfests (many unwarranted) every game day.

Be still my heart.
I told you before the season in the 'predict the starting lineup thread' that you put Mayo at PG and go from there....problem solved. It's that simple.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
What a surprise, the guy on the bench, the guy at the other guard spot, or the guy that's injured are all better than the starting PG. Obviously you are all smarter than Buzz is. Marquette fans haven't been happy with the point since the late 1990s when Hutchins was here. Diener was too injury prone and reckless, Dominic James tried to score too much, Acker and Cooby were career backups, Buycks wasn't a point, and Junior turned it over too much. Honestly, I expect PG complaints for anyone short of Derrick Rose.

No, strike that, we'd probably find issues with Rose too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »
What a surprise, the guy on the bench, the guy at the other guard spot, or the guy that's injured are all better than the starting PG. Obviously you are all smarter than Buzz is. Marquette fans haven't been happy with the point since the late 1990s when Hutchins was here. Diener was too injury prone and reckless, Dominic James tried to score too much, Acker and Cooby were career backups, Buycks wasn't a point, and Junior turned it over too much. Honestly, I expect PG complaints for anyone short of Derrick Rose.

To be fair, I have always defended our pgs.  I did think that Acker wasn't strong enough, but thought he was solid overall.  From last night (things can change), D. Wilson is not the answer.  Not saying any of the others would necessarily be better, but certainly should be given a chance as the younger guys/Mayo may have more upside.  We'll see, I hope this game was not the norm for D. Wilson, but if it is we may need to look at the other options on the bench.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
I loved how Buzz got all of their [Freshmen] feet wet...and gave them all some good minutes. It is a talented group who just need to find themselves. They'll be okay...trust me. I can tell...

They will calm down and find themselves quickly. I also like how he has altered the offense somewhat and let this group be more free flowing and utilize their quickness and athleticism in taking the ball to the rack...

There was a limit of ball swings and passing around the perimeter and more cutting and slashing to the hoop. This will work out for more of their players they have.

However, if they are going to do that they need to become a  much better free throw shooting team. Jake and a few others have to be better spot up shooters and knock some shots down to help their slashers and mid range guys.

Those who are complaining about the PG situation are delirious. There is no issue there.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

LOL...I agree. Delusional. There is NOTHING WRONG with the PG play on this team. Nothing. Fans who took that out of this game don't know what they are watching.

Dawson and D. Wilson did what was needed for this game. Get the ball inside to Gardner and work the offense in the post through him with some action off the ball.

They have to work harder on getting free easier off the ball so they are harder to guard. Motion motion motion to take advantage of Devante's passing skills out of the post if anyone is open.

Freshmen bump into themselves alot in the first game and many are afraid to get their shot block so they play a little tentative but they need to just press on and get in there and attack the rim and cut them screens tight and get off their shot.

Which brings me to another issue I had....JAKE THOMAS BEING CALLED FOR TWO BOGUS offensive fouls off screens! That was nonsense. He set perfect screens and was rung up and the official did not explain to him what he did wrong.

Screening will be key for this team and if they can't set a screen in college they have to improvise big time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »
Derrick Wilson was better than Dawson.  Jeez, Derrick played fine.  Defensively very well.  Offensively he got the ball where it needed to go.  

As a startin' point guard, Derrick added nothin'. Unless he's at least a threat to score, teams will sag off Wilson.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:01:40 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
I may not be a fan of Derrick but he did what was asked of him. I would like to see Dawson get some more playing time but we have other people who can score. Davante, Jamil, Todd and even the freshman will be fine once they get settled in. My biggest problem is that Jake Thomas got way too much playing time last night. There is no reason for Todd not to be in the starting lineup and honestly, Jake should be pulled once he misses a wide open 3. Which he did twice. If hes not hitting 3s he doesnt add any value to this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
I told you before the season in the 'predict the starting lineup thread' that you put Mayo at PG and go from there....problem solved. It's that simple.

Not really.  How does that impact his production?  Who plays next to him? 

It isn't that simple.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
Derrick never hurts the team but how many top programs have a starting guard avg. 1 or 2 points a game? I have no problem with Jake getting plenty of playing time, he too doesn't hurt the team and I like his hustle but hope he can find a way to score. Would like to see more of Burton he reminds me of Lockett.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
1a
1b
1c

Guards, especially the PG, most important in college basketball.  We go as far as they take us.  I was worried going into this year about PG play.   We'll see how it all plays out.  

Agreed.  We need a point guard to be smart aggressive and most of all, facilitate.  I'm worried about the two we have healthy right now.  Neither made big mistakes, but nor did they get the offense going much.  Junior at least had a decent shot and could drive and finish inside.  Not saying he could as a frosh, but that's our problem.  Inexperience at PG.

I have no problem with Jake getting plenty of playing time

I do.  He's made like 2 plays his whole career so far.  Dude needs to hit an open jumper.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:46:47 PM by Jamil_toMU10 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:47 PM »
If Mayo plays point, he will average 5 TO's a game. He is not a facilitator, either. He is a shoot first guard.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 06:21:59 AM »
If Mayo plays point, he will average 5 TO's a game. He is not a facilitator, either. He is a shoot first guard.

I'm not sure he'd turn it over quite that much, but I agree with willie here. Hmm...maybe the sky really is falling. Mayo's plan is to shoot first, shoot second, drive and shoot third, pass fourth, and shoot off-balanced five. He has the mentality of a pure scorer. If he can drive to the rack and hit shots like he did Friday, that will be a very good thing for this team, and will help us all stop thinking about what might have been with Vander Blue in the lineup. But just because Mayo could turn out to be a fantastic 2-guard for us does not mean he would slide over to the point and give similar returns. That's just silly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
The bottom line is that DeWil is and will be MU's starting point guard this year with Mayo seeing the bulk of the time at the #2.  He played 34 minutes against Southern and may be second on the team in minutes per game behind Jamil.  Before it is all said and done, I suspect he'll end up averaging about 5 per game.  Let's remember that he went 1-4 from the foul line the other night.  As others have said, I trust Buzz to find a way to win without a scoring point guard but one who takes very good care of the ball, makes excellent entry passes to Davante, and plays darn good on ball defense.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »
Hopefully someone, like Du Wil, emerges eventually so Derrick can spell him for 10-12 min./game. That's about right.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:18:14 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Hopefully someone, like Du Wil, emerges eventually so Derrick can spell him for 10-12 min. game. That's about right.

Mark it down.  Derrick is MU's starting point guard.  Might Duane reduce Derrick's load at some point?  Maybe.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:35:29 PM by jsglow »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Derrick would be fine as long as the 2 guard can score and the wing, with Otule, Thomas and Derrick in the game at the same time there will be trouble scoring. Steve Taylor will pick
up his game and Juan has to be part of the scoring problems, those 2 are key.  They have to make some buckets, Duane Wilson would be better 2 guard than Thomas, much quicker
good range.  Need him by January, is that possible or is it a wasted season, what is the update?

brandx

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Derrick would be fine as long as the 2 guard can score and the wing, with Otule, Thomas and Derrick in the game at the same time there will be trouble scoring. Steve Taylor will pick
up his game and Juan has to be part of the scoring problems, those 2 are key.  They have to make some buckets, Duane Wilson would be better 2 guard than Thomas, much quicker
good range.  Need him by January, is that possible or is it a wasted season, what is the update?

Quite simply - quit being a silly drama queen.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
I think BC means if that's the earliest Duane could return, then it would be a waste and he'd be better off taking a redshirt.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »

I wasn't here back in the Diener/Wade days, it does surprise me that he was criticized a lot.  He may not have been the best player on those teams, but he was the second best, a great 3 point shooter, and a solid passer who could probably be termed a "winner" based on the success of those teams.  James was a good point guard as well who just struggled with his shooting.  Our recent point guards since those two were all average starters at best, not to diminish what they did though.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
I think BC means if that's the earliest Duane could return, then it would be a waste and he'd be better off taking a redshirt.

That is correct, not saying the season will be a waste, but Duane not being ready till Feb. would be a waste.  How good would Junior be if he did not waste is freshman season
right now.  If Vander and Junior were bad, wow, would that have been exciting.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
That is correct, not saying the season will be a waste, but Duane not being ready till Feb. would be a waste.  How good would Junior be if he did not waste is freshman season
right now.  If Vander and Junior were bad, wow, would that have been exciting.

My apologies!!