'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?  (Read 47874 times)

MU_Beav

• Starter
Re: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Bossi's already called Marquette "the team to beat" at this point.  Who knows?  Prior to Whiteside committing to Seton Hall, most experts had him becoming a Johnnie.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
The only two recruiting analysts I respect that I've seen make predictions on the crystal ball are Jerry Meyer and Jeff Borzello.  Meyer is 51 out of 71 for 72% and Borzello is 20 out of 23 for 87%.  Borzello obviously only makes predictions if he's really confident, so when he makes one I pay attention.  It's Meyer's site so I think he wants to make a predicition on every recruit even when he's not sure.

At the very least there is accountability.  You can click on anybody's name and see how (in)accurate they have been.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
Ahmed Hill @MedHill_14
People have no idea how hard this decision is. It's so stressful and mind blowing.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »
Ahmed Hill @MedHill_14
People have no idea how hard this decision is. It's so stressful and mind blowing.
This should not be a difficult decision if he reads this board. Simply commit to the Warriors. It is a no brainer. Big time conference, big time team, and a chance to go deep in the dance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
This should not be a difficult decision if he reads this board. Simply commit to the Warriors. It is a no brainer. Big time conference, big time team, and a chance to go deep in the dance.

You're being po-po-positive?

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
At the very least there is accountability.  You can click on anybody's name and see how (in)accurate they have been.

Eh.. accurate on their LAST pick. Sometimes these dudes are changing their pick on a single person. 

Bragging about a high percentage on the crystal ball gimmick is like when people brag they only got 1, 2 or 3 out of the field of 68 wrong.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »
Eh.. accurate on their LAST pick. Sometimes these dudes are changing their pick on a single person. 

Bragging about a high percentage on the crystal ball gimmick is like when people brag they only got 1, 2 or 3 out of the field of 68 wrong.

What are your thoughts on who we get Jay Bee?

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

Why can't they change their mind?  If it's before the player actually commits, who cares.  I think it gives good insight into how a player's recruitment can change over time.

As for the second part, I agree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
Ahmed Hill @MedHill_14

I'm sure it is.  Best of luck to him either way. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
Marquette
*in Milwaukee, a metro area on a great lake with over 1.7 million people, an NBA franchise and arena (and another one 80 miles away, FWIW)
*three straight Sweet 16s
*NCAA history (1 championship, 3 FFs), 44-33 all-time
*bball players are gods on campus
*current alum an NBA hall-of-famer
*7 former players of current coach on an NBA roster
*good academics (#75 in USWNR)
*consistently averages over 15k in an NBA arena

Missouri
*in Columbia, a metro area in the middle of Missouri with 180K people and no major basketball teams in the area
*last Sweet 16 in 2009
*No NCAA championships or FFs, 19-25 all-time
*football-first school (SEC)
*good academics (#97 in USWNR)
*3 former players of current coach on an NBA roster
*averages over 12k per year in attendance

In sum, Marquette is better by any measure.  Clearly I'm biased, but I think any objective observer would agree that the choice is clear.

Plus, doesn't Haith have sanctions pending against him from the Miami/Shapiro incident?

EDIT:  And (feel free to call a reaching foul here), who has the better "MU" logo?  Who owns the domain name?  That's right, that's right.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:50:13 PM by ElDonBDon »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
FWIW...77% of 247's staff had Robert Johnson going to UNC.  He just chose IU.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
Quote from: Jay Bee
But Robert Johnson announced he would announce this week just before Whitehead, yes? Guess we'll see what Johnson says manana re: I4.

Yup, but Johnson is a Boo William's kid and most of the time they stay in the mid atlantic/south.  Florida State or UNC, we shall see.  The next two weeks will be crazy with committs.

As far as Whithead's coach, Tiny Norton, Lincoln Tech is a national powerhouse and could lead to a pipeline to Seton Hall from NYC kids.  Which would be great for BE and the floundering Hall program.  

No surprise, but Robert Johnson to I4. Yes, he is a Boo Williams guy... just like Jamal Ferguson (MU).. and just like I4 current freshman Troy Williams, who is also Boo's nephew.

Generalizations rarely ever work when trying to project recruiting.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
No surprise, but Robert Johnson to I4. Yes, he is a Boo Williams guy... just like Jamal Ferguson (MU).. and just like I4 current freshman Troy Williams, who is also Boo's nephew.

Generalizations rarely ever work when trying to project recruiting.

Oh well, get the nails and the crucifix for me.  Like I said "most of the time", not all of the time.  Never fails around here.   

Otherwise, Johnson is really good and a great pickup for IU.  Hill was probably behind Whitehead and Johnson on IU's wishlist and someone on IU staff told him Johnson was to commit, therefore his tweet message. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
I'm sure it is.  Best of luck to him either way. 

Agreed, best of luck no matter what!

It is hard enough to choose a school.  Has to be hard to choose and school and a basketball team.  Has to be really hard when there is the potential for millions of dollars of earnings in a few years at stake!  But, that is one reason why he might favor Buzz and give Marquette the commitment.  Buzz and Marquette have proven that developing non top 25 type of guys into NBA players has been accomplished time and time again; and Buzz is one to be trusted - he will make you work hard and tow the line, and he will get everything out of you, daily!

But, either way, good luck to him, and hope he makes the right decision whatever that decision is. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
Hey, if we are down to us and Mizzou in a one on one recruiting battle, I think that's pretty good odds. I am confident that most recruits would choose us over the Tigers any day of the week.

That being said, recruiting battles are not won on paper. You can't put a number on a coach to player relationship or how they bonded with current players. In the end, a player will pick where he thinks he is supposed to go. Best of luck to him. Hope we see him in blue and gold soon
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

What team is not good?  Marquette?  I think this team has the potential to become the best in the Buzz era.  If they can get the PG question answered, I think they could be very, very good.

Totally agree...if they get solid PG play...think very legit chance at Final Four.  If Mayo plays well...which I think he will...expecting 12ppg from him...look out..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

raul

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
With Mayo and Wilson becoming seniors next year then Burton, JJ and Wilson coming in this year and Cohen coming in 2014 where does Hill fit in? Maybe Shayok and Craig makes more sense or just two bigs.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
Where do these here rumors originate? Mayo will no more be payin' his own way as will I be hittin' the finer parts of Kate Upton.

Try to make sure the pages don't stick together this time.
Relax. Respect the Process.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
With Mayo and Wilson becoming seniors next year then Burton, JJ and Wilson coming in this year and Cohen coming in 2014 where does Hill fit in? Maybe Shayok and Craig makes more sense or just two bigs.

When he arrives, most likely depth. Assuming no changes (which is almost never the case) behind Mayo, Anderson, Burton, and JJJ at the switchable 2/3 as a freshman. By his sophomore year, competing for major minutes either as a starter or off the bench. Of course, with transfer numbers as high as they are and the increased likelihood of early entrants that comes with higher rated recruits, he could be thrust into the limelight even sooner.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »

Kind of agree. Not going to complain about getting a top 40 recruit, but part of me wonders if we're just setting ourselves for another Jamal Ferguson/Jamail Jones type of early departure with so much depth at the 2/3.

Would love to get 2 of Craig/Miller/Blammers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:57:07 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Kind of agree. Not going to complain about getting a top 40 recruit, but part of me wonders if we're just setting ourselves for another Jamal Ferguson/Jamail Jones type of early departure with so much depth at the 2/3.

Would love to get 2 of Craig/Miller/Blammers.

I'd add Uceda to that list.

And guys are going to transfer. Are we better off looking at less talented players? When guys don't pan out or can't cut it, they can explore other options. Simply the landscape of college sports. I'd much rather see a culture that encourages quality and competition than avoiding top recruits for fear of transfers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
I'd add Uceda to that list.

And guys are going to transfer. Are we better off looking at less talented players? When guys don't pan out or can't cut it, they can explore other options. Simply the landscape of college sports. I'd much rather see a culture that encourages quality and competition than avoiding top recruits for fear of transfers.

Oh, I'm not saying we should avoid top recruits - especially one like Hill. But I'd like to throw some of those numbers toward to the 4/5 position. If what you're saying is really the new approach to recruiting then some of this  "competition" needs to be among the big men as well. If we recruit just one in 2014 and he doesn't pan out and transfers, we'll kind of be in a bind.

Still Hill + Craig or Miller would make this class perfect.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »
24/7 has 10 out of 10 predicting Mizzou for Hill - has this boat sailed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
24/7 has 10 out of 10 predicting Mizzou for Hill - has this boat sailed?

Just last week, Evan Daniels was saying MU has the edge.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »

Just last week, Evan Daniels was saying MU has the edge.

Yeah, Hill has been very open about the fact that he is having a difficult time making a decision between Marquette and Missouri. It seems like there is much more going for Marquette, but Hill's friend having committed to Missouri already helps their case.

feedback