[Today at 06:28:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?  (Read 48023 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Hill shortens list, down to Marquette, Mizzou?
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
Yeah, Hill has been very open about the fact that he is having a difficult time making a decision between Marquette and Missouri. It seems like there is much more going for Marquette, but Hill's friend having committed to Missouri already helps their case.
According to the article he still has 5 official visits to take, so there is three or four more weeks before he makes a decision.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »

Just last week, Evan Daniels was saying MU has the edge.

Was this an article or a tweet?  I missed that.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
He's referring to this article here:  http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/sep/23/ahmed-hill-basketball-star-opens-about-recruitiing/

But the problem with this, even though it was posted yesterday, is that Ahmed Hill himself has already acknowledged that Indiana is out, even though this article still mentions that he has a visit there on 10/4.

Pretty certain this is down to Mizzou and Marquette, though it still may take a few more weeks.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
He's referring to this article here:  http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/sep/23/ahmed-hill-basketball-star-opens-about-recruitiing/

But the problem with this, even though it was posted yesterday, is that Ahmed Hill himself has already acknowledged that Indiana is out, even though this article still mentions that he has a visit there on 10/4.

Pretty certain this is down to Mizzou and Marquette, though it still may take a few more weeks.
Assuming the article is correct he will be officially Marquette on October 11th. He porbably will not commit before that visit.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

It does sound like he is down to Mizzou and Marquette, but he is still taking his visit to IU.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
It does sound like he is down to Mizzou and Marquette, but he is still taking his visit to IU.

Hill tweeted last week that he is not visiting IU.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »

I saw an Alex Bozich tweet saying he talked to Hill and he is still planning on going IU on 10/4 despite previously canceling the trip.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
I saw an Alex Bozich tweet saying he talked to Hill and he is still planning on going IU on 10/4 despite previously canceling the trip.

Smart man!  If I was a high D1 recruit I wouldn't openly commit until I took all 5 (or whatever) official visits and got the royal treatment and a free trip.  Even if I knew where I was going beforehand.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

But in the interview posted here he said he might change his mind. He said TC called him right after the tweet and he is still deciding on whether or not he wants to go. But I believe his exact words were "But 9 times out of 10, I'm at least gonna go and check it out."

So I think he takes the trip to Indiana, might as well. But he certainly doesn't seem very excited about it. The article said that Florida/Florida State will most likely round out his official visits. He hasn't officially crossed anyone off, but I think Marquette/Mizzou are definitely the frontrunners.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
When you cannot decide between MU and Missouri the easy answer is to go somewhere else. Buzz has been on him so long he should know whether he wants to play for Buzz or not.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Smart man!  If I was a high D1 recruit I wouldn't openly commit until I took all 5 (or whatever) official visits and got the royal treatment and a free trip.  Even if I knew where I was going beforehand.
Hmmmm... Integrity to new levels.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
Then you must enjoy going to Time Share Presentations.  If this kid is having as difficult a time as he says he is making a decision between his two finalists the last thing I think he would want would be to listen to someone else try to sell him on why he should chose neither and do something else.  This is not Hawaii in January this is Bloomington in October.  I wouldn't do it, not if I had no intention of seriously considering them.  You'd feel like a real sh*t the whole time you were there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »

How exotic do you think these trips really are?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

I'm 24 years old and I still enjoy traveling the country (especially when it's free) and seeing other college campuses, especially their athletic facilities.  When I was 17 years old I had seen Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Washington DC, and Kentucky.  Going to California, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc. for free?  Eating good food for free?  Playing basketball against division 1 athletes?  Meeting some cool people?  Watching some cool basketball highlight videos?  That would be a fun way to spend 5 weekends as a 17 year old, if you ask me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
When you cannot decide between MU and Missouri the easy answer is to go somewhere else. Buzz has been on him so long he should know whether he wants to play for Buzz or not.

Both programs have their pros and cons. Haith has had some success down there and he would have the opportunity to play with one of his best friends. Marquette's program is not for everyone, nor is Buzz's demanding routine. I have no doubt Hill sees where he would fit at Marquette and that he could have success here, but being closer to home at another successful program with one of his best friends is a lot of drawing power. That said, if he's still torn on the two, I think it speaks volumes as to how strong a relationship Buzz must have built with him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
I'm 24 years old and I still enjoy traveling the country (especially when it's free) and seeing other college campuses, especially their athletic facilities.  When I was 17 years old I had seen Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Washington DC, and Kentucky.  Going to California, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc. for free?  Eating good food for free?  Playing basketball against division 1 athletes?  Meeting some cool people?  Watching some cool basketball highlight videos?  That would be a fun way to spend 5 weekends as a 17 year old, if you ask me.

Plus, i'm betting it depends on the program. MU? Maybe not so exotic. But Oklahoma St football (and i'm sure other bigtime fball programs) recruits a decade ago?? Total royalty.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Hmmmm... Integrity to new levels.
yeah...sick of these dang kids taking advantage of these institutions and the ncaa. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »

sound like the trips to Oklahoma State used to be pretty impressive. 

that said i pay to visit a new university once or twice a year...love seeing different campuses, catching a guest lecture, checking out the architecture, history, libraries, etc...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Question.   When a recruit goes on an official visit, do their parents go along?  If so, does the recruiting school cover cost?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »

Yeah maybe that's my problem.  I travel for my job and I'm probably just sick of it, so the thought of flying across the country and spending a night or two just to fly back has no appeal to me.  If I'm going to go somewhere for fun, I want to stay awhile.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 07:48:32 AM »
sound like the trips to Oklahoma State used to be pretty impressive. 

that said i pay to visit a new university once or twice a year...love seeing different campuses, catching a guest lecture, checking out the architecture, history, libraries, etc...

NERD!!!!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
Interesting that Hill thinks of Mizzou as a basketball school.

It is a pretty generic school.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Precisely.  Plus, who knows, even if you're 99.9% committing to one school, why not check the others out? Best case scenario you find an even better fit, worst case scenario you get what you described above.  You win no matter what.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
yeah...sick of these dang kids taking advantage of these institutions and the ncaa. 
Not referring to the kids, Read the quote!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »
Question.   When a recruit goes on an official visit, do their parents go along?  If so, does the recruiting school cover cost?

Sometimes. Not everyone has a... traditional family.

Yes, up to two people re: certain costs.... for parents/legal guardians.

If it's a high school coach, for example.. the rules are a tiny bit different. Also, there are a number of nuances... for example.. if you're going on an official and bring your little brother (as long as he is NOT being recruited by the school), he could camp out in your hotel room and that's fine... but the cost of his flight wouldn't be covered.

------------
On the idea of officials being so magical and wonderful... if you've decided on a school, why take more? Puts kids in an awkward position. Most of these kids have traveled to various cities .. it's not as if they've never been on a plane or seen a million different basketball gyms. And, they don't know what the itinerary is going to be.. will it be fun? Maybe. Some kids like that stuff, some don't...

I think it can be a waste of time for some and that's why they don't take all 5 officials. No big deal. Whatever works for them. Everyone is different.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.