[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Paul White to Georgetown  (Read 27209 times)

GGGG

• All American
Paul White to Georgetown
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Paul White to Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
Not a surprise. Been leaning that way for a while now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »
Yeah, we did not want him anyhow. Georgetown's loss is our gain. This will open up Illinois for us on better studs.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
5 minutes, 11 seconds.  I expected under 5:00 willie.  You're slipping...

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
I guess HoyaCutie33 was very persuasive...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
Yeah, we did not want him anyhow. Georgetown's loss is our gain. This will open up Illinois for us on better studs.

Gotta love when Willie cries because we're not pursuing bigs and only getting switchables and then when a switchable goes elsewhere he cries because we didn't get him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »

You actually got one right! After Malek Harris committed, we didn't want White.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
I guess losing one to Georgetown isn't that big a deal. Oh wait, I forgot, he is a switchable that we did not want.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
I guess losing one to Georgetown isn't that big a deal. Oh wait, I forgot, he is a switchable that we did not want.

Durrr.
MU didn't "lose" one to Georgetown. MU was recruiting White and Harris for the same spot. Harris committed, thus White no longer was a priority for MU. I'm sure Buzz would have taken the commitment had White really wanted to play for him, but for all intents MU no longer was recruiting him.
You don't "lose" a player you're not recruiting.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
Glad he's in the conference.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

This is very simple. Marquette had a scholarship open that Buzz intended for a switchable, most likely replacing the position Jamil Wilson is currently playing. Both White and Harris were recruited for that spot, but only one can fill it. You only have 13 scholarships, so you can't take everyone. Marquette's first choice was Harris. When he committed, the scholarship was filled. There was no further need nor interest in White because we had the guy we wanted.

I don't know what you want, unless you are just one of those people who is only happy when they are pissing and moaning like a 4-year-old who just threw all his toys out of the tub. We were no longer recruiting White. Bitching that he didn't come here is like bitching that Jordan McLaughlin is going to USC. We weren't recruiting him. We didn't "lose out" on McLaughlin to USC any more than we "lost out" on White to Georgetown.

Just because we were once recruiting him doesn't mean we still are. When Looney goes to Duke, when Cliff Alexander goes to Kansas, when James Blackmon goes to Kentucky, when Quadri Moore goes to Cincy, those aren't guys we are losing out on anymore because they aren't guys we are recruiting anymore.

But since wee willie likes to whine, we'll probably still hear you crying about each one of them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
This is very simple. Marquette had a scholarship open that Buzz intended for a switchable, most likely replacing the position Jamil Wilson is currently playing. Both White and Harris were recruited for that spot, but only one can fill it. You only have 13 scholarships, so you can't take everyone. Marquette's first choice was Harris. When he committed, the scholarship was filled. There was no further need nor interest in White because we had the guy we wanted.

I don't know what you want, unless you are just one of those people who is only happy when they are pissing and moaning like a 4-year-old who just threw all his toys out of the tub. We were no longer recruiting White. Bitching that he didn't come here is like bitching that Jordan McLaughlin is going to USC. We weren't recruiting him. We didn't "lose out" on McLaughlin to USC any more than we "lost out" on White to Georgetown.

Just because we were once recruiting him doesn't mean we still are. When Looney goes to Duke, when Cliff Alexander goes to Kansas, when James Blackmon goes to Kentucky, when Quadri Moore goes to Cincy, those aren't guys we are losing out on anymore because they aren't guys we are recruiting anymore.

But since wee willie likes to whine, we'll probably still hear you crying about each one of them.

What he wants is every single player who is ranked in the top 150 on Marquette's roster, plus every single JUCO All American, every single year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
What he wants is every single player 6'8" and up (guards need not apply) who is ranked in the top 150 on Marquette's roster, plus every single JUCO All American, every single year.

Fixed

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »

While I agree we didn't lose out on White, Looney is entirely different. We recruited Looney and would still take him right now. We filled White's spot - Looney always has one.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
willie...you need a hug. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

Are you sure about this?  Everything I've read indicated that White was one of Buzz's highest recruiting priorities, going so far as to offer him back in 2011 before his sophomore year.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=16273
http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/01-06-2012-super-soph-paul-white-lists-offers

Suggesting Harris was Buzz's first choice all along seems akin to Wisconsin fans' commenting that "Bo cooled on" a particular recruit whenever he loses one.

Let's not fall into that same trap--there is nothing wrong wth admitting that Buzz wanted White going back two years ago, missed out on that recuiring battle, and instead we got a player we hope will turn out to be every bit as good as White (if not better).  

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
Are you sure about this?  Everything I've read indicated that White was one of Buzz's highest recruiting priorities, going so far as to offer him back in 2011 before his sophomore year.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/01-06-2012-super-soph-paul-white-lists-offers

Suggesting Harris was Buzz's first choice all along seems akin to Wisconsin fans' commenting that "Bo cooled on" a particular recruit whenever he loses one.

Let's not fall into that same trap--there is nothing wrong wth admitting that Buzz wanted White going back two years ago, missed out on that recuiring battle, and instead we got a player we hope will turn out to be every bit as good as White (if not better).  

Definitely agree.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
BrewCity is right...Both guys were being recruited....as coaches see a player more and more they priotize who they want.....Harris played better then White did for a fairly long period of time. The staff loved his motor......White not so much.

Their are plenty of guys who MU has missed out on.....Looney being one....but recruiting is always fluid....just because we started recruiting White 2 years ago doesn't mean things can't change.....sometimes you like a kid more the longer you see him play....sometimes the reverse is true.....

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
I think Buzz wants guys who WANT to be here.

Looney didn't WANT to be here so he's not on our list.

Getting those kids who WANT to be here helps Buzz and the program.

All we need is more of the 4* and 5* to WANT to be at MU. Winning (and placing MUers in the NBA) will solve that.
SS Marquette

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
I think Buzz wants guys who WANT to be here.

Looney didn't WANT to be here so he's not on our list.

Getting those kids who WANT to be here helps Buzz and the program.

All we need is more of the 4* and 5* to WANT to be at MU. Winning (and placing MUers in the NBA) will solve that.

+1

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
While I agree we didn't lose out on White, Looney is entirely different. We recruited Looney and would still take him right now. We filled White's spot - Looney always has one.

It's for different reasons that we stopped recruiting them -- White because the staff preferred and got Harris and Looney because the staff realized he was going out of state and would be resources wasted -- but the result is the same. We stopped recruiting them. And while White was a major target early on in this class's recruiting cycle, we definitely moved away in the past year. Harris became the top priority.

Ratings only mean so much. I am confident that despite ratings, our staff preferred Harris to White, just as they prefer current targets Lammers, Craig, and Harris to former target and top-100 rated Quadri Moore.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
Durrr.
MU didn't "lose" one to Georgetown. MU was recruiting White and Harris for the same spot. Harris committed, thus White no longer was a priority for MU. I'm sure Buzz would have taken the commitment had White really wanted to play for him, but for all intents MU no longer was recruiting him.
You don't "lose" a player you're not recruiting.

More specifically to Wee Willie, you don't lose your mind when you never had one.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
Sheesh.

I was wondering how a thread on a recruit you weren't even recruiting got so long. SMH.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
You don't know Scoop then, Bro.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

Back in 2011, when White was rated in the top 10 of his class (as cited in your link) Ohio State, Arizona and Marquette had White high on their lists. White has dropped substantially since then. I don't know if any of those schools were really recruiting him at the end.