collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443832 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #950 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
Sheesh! I didn't compare Cutler and Rodgers in terms of skills or stats or accomplishments. All I said was that had the outcome of one game gone a different way, the perception of those two players' careers would be vastly different.

Do any of your disagree with that?

At least one poster on here has some reading comprehension skills.

Vastly different perceptions of a career based on one play or one game? Only if those doing the perceiving are myopic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #951 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
Still waiting for all those Flacco and Roethlisberger commercials.  Its more than just winning the super bowl

Flacco is doing some commercials, even a national one with McDonald's.  Ben has some damaged goods issues to deal with which has kept companies from signing him up.

Joe doesn't have a high Q score, so it's not surprising that most of his commericals are Baltimore based like 1st Mariner Bank, etc. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #952 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
I bet you're a Packers fan, right?  Very difficult to get an objective perception if you are.

I'm just saying - he's as arrogant and cocky as anyone else.  Always with the smartass comments during his interviews.  Always looks displeased.  I'm sure others see him that way, also.

I am not saying I don't view cutler negative because I am a packer fan at all, nor Rodgers positive because I am a packer fan. You said that.  I am saying if you poll the average non packer and bear fan and ask them who is the more likeable guy between Rodgers and cutler, it wouldn't be close. Your hatred for the packers skew how you view  Rodgers.  Still waiting for those whiney comments from Rodgers

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #953 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Rodgers did seem to bitch at team mates and whine alot more the first couple of years he was a starter but to me it looks like he's toned that down quite a bit since regardless (irregardless?) what Greg Jennings said
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:01:25 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #954 on: November 07, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
Flacco is doing some commercials, even a national one with McDonald's.  Ben has some damaged goods issues to deal with which has kept companies from signing him up.

Joe doesn't have a high Q score, so it's not surprising that most of his commericals are Baltimore based like 1st Mariner Bank, etc. 

well that's my point, it is just as much about personality and the individual as it is winning.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #955 on: November 07, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
Rodgers did seem to bitch at team mates and whine alot more the first couple of years he was a starter but to me it looks like he's toned that down quite a bit since regardless what Greg Jennings said

Bitch at players yes, whine no

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #956 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
I am not saying I don't view cutler negative because I am a packer fan at all, nor Rodgers positive because I am a packer fan. You said that.  I am saying if you poll the average non packer and bear fan and ask them who is the more likeable guy between Rodgers and cutler, it wouldn't be close. Your hatred for the packers skew how you view  Rodgers.  Still waiting for those whiney comments from Rodgers

I'm not saying Cutler is more likeable than Rodgers.  I'm saying that many others also view Rodgers as an arrogant, cocky, smartass.  And if you can't see that, then it's probably because you are a Packers fan. 

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #957 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
Bitch at players yes, whine no

Bitching, whining... guess I should have differntiated?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #958 on: November 07, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
I am not saying I don't view cutler negative because I am a packer fan at all, nor Rodgers positive because I am a packer fan. You said that.  I am saying if you poll the average non packer and bear fan and ask them who is the more likeable guy between Rodgers and cutler, it wouldn't be close. Your hatred for the packers skew how you view  Rodgers.  Still waiting for those whiney comments from Rodgers

If Cutler had Rodgers' ring, leading to a couple goofy commercials with Da Super Fans, people would find him more likable and view Rodgers as a whiny Dan Fouts. Aaannnd...we're back to where we started.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #959 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Uh, pretty sure winning erases any image problems. Look at tom Brady this season. Bitches at his teammates, looks pissed on the sidelines, but no one makes a stink about him.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #960 on: November 07, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
Bitching, whining... guess I should have differntiated?

There is  a big difference between calling out players and whining.  most qbs yell at receivers occasionally. Do you have a problem with Brady doing it?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #961 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
I'm not saying Cutler is more likeable than Rodgers.  I'm saying that many others also view Rodgers as an arrogant, cocky, smartass.  And if you can't see that, then it's probably because you are a Packers fan.  

But that makes no sense.  I have never heard in the media that he is an arrogant, cocky, smartass.  Literally zero times.  Feel free to point to a national personality doing it (Obviously, Chicago media or your neighbor doesn't count).  

Would you hire an arrogant, cocky, smartass to be the face of your commercial campaign?  I sure wouldn't.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14567073/twosecond-video-clip-doesnt-at-all-capture-rodgers  

Yeah, what a total arrogant, cocky, smartass.

Get real.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:17:43 PM by Hards_Alumni »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #962 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #963 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Would you hire an arrogant, cocky, smartass to be the face of your commercial campaign?  I sure wouldn't.

So you wouldn't want Michael Jordan, LeBron or Tom Brady in a commercial for your company?  ;)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:09:17 PM by MerrittsMustache »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #965 on: November 07, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
There. Both guys do charity work and are genuinely decent guys. Glad we got that cleared up.
Yeah but Cutler's kind of a douche

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #966 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
Yeah but Cutler's kind of a douche

Completely not a douche. Have you ever met him?  Good news is that the non-douche is cleared to play.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/jay-cutler-cleared-play-expected-start-vs-lions

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #967 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
You really want to turn this into a pointless charity-work/nice-guy pi$$ing contest? Cool.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084679/article/jay-cutler-hosts-family-of-slain-chicago-bears-fan

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/4422823-419/bears-not-bothered-by-silent-treatment.html

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/04/jay_cutler_hosting_charity_din.html

http://www.littlegiraffefoundation.org/2012-Jay-Cutler-Charity-Drive

There. Both guys do charity work and are genuinely decent guys. Glad we got that cleared up.

I want to just as much as some people want to turn it into a contest about who is more arrogant, cocky, and a bigger smartass.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #968 on: November 07, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »
I want to just as much as some people want to turn it into a contest about who is more arrogant, cocky, and a bigger smartass.

No one said that either guy was more arrogant or cocky. Just that both guys are. However, you don't want to take off your blinders and admit that St. Aaron has his flaws.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #969 on: November 07, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »
No one said that either guy was more arrogant or cocky. Just that both guys are. However, you don't want to take off your blinders and admit that St. Aaron has his flaws.

Talk about putting words in my mouth.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #970 on: November 07, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »
I always find it interesting in these arguments that people are willing to pass judgement on how one person is off the field but be willing to defend the other as the opposite, despite never having met either of them.

Both QBs seem to be genuinely good dudes.  People run into Rodgers in Milwaukee and he is gracious and friendly from the majority of stories Ive gotten.  Cutler actually has a great reputation around the city from people who have actually met him.  He's funny and engaging on his radio show, he does ALOT of charity work under the radar (visits children's hospital downtown near his apartment all the time with little fanfare) and is a goofy dude (remember the Ditka shirt from a early season presser?  Its from one of the sports blogs that he has a back and forth with). They are both in the top 1% of what they do in the world, so naturally you're going to have an arrogance, confidence, and slanted view of self.

The difference, as mentioned ad nauseum, is Rodgers likes to play up the PR aspect of his position, and Cutler doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on it, especially when it comes to national media (which is a salient point as well as Cutler has a generally good relationship with Chicago sportswriters and the like).

I only get miffed, and defensive, as a Bears fan when people try to extrapolate that into Cutler being an overall douche and Rodgers being such a likeable guy.  Who gives a damn what Tom Jackson says.  Lets all go into your workplace and see you at times of extreme stress and challenge and make judgements about the rest of your life as a result.

I like Rodgers, I like Cutler, people needing to degrade one to be a fan of the other is just stupid

brandx

« Reply #971 on: November 07, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
Uh, pretty sure winning erases any image problems. Look at tom Brady this season. Bitches at his teammates, looks pissed on the sidelines, but no one makes a stink about him.

Maybe Cutler should try winning to change his image.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #972 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
Maybe Cutler should try winning to change his image.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45fddl/jay-cutler-2/

Lots of winners on this list who are disliked.  Sometimes public perception is wrong, sometimes it isn't.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #973 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
anybody that mentions Todd Collins on this board again is a feckin dead man.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #974 on: November 07, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
The difference, as mentioned ad nauseum, is Rodgers likes to play up the PR aspect of his position, and Cutler doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on it, especially when it comes to national media (which is a salient point as well as Cutler has a generally good relationship with Chicago sportswriters and the like).

I only get miffed, and defensive, as a Bears fan when people try to extrapolate that into Cutler being an overall douche and Rodgers being such a likeable guy.  Who gives a damn what Tom Jackson says.  Lets all go into your workplace and see you at times of extreme stress and challenge and make judgements about the rest of your life as a result.

I like Rodgers, I like Cutler, people needing to degrade one to be a fan of the other is just stupid

What I find very interesting is that Bears fan will admit that Cutler can be a jerk but we defend him because he's OUR jerk. Packer fans are completely unwilling to even entertain the notion that Rodgers has some jerk-ish tendencies.

feedback