collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443852 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #925 on: November 07, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »
Sheesh! I didn't compare Cutler and Rodgers in terms of skills or stats or accomplishments. All I said was that had the outcome of one game gone a different way, the perception of those two players' careers would be vastly different.

Do any of your disagree with that?

At least one poster on here has some reading comprehension skills.

Yes I disagree with that. 

Cutler is widely regarded as a douche (fairly or unfairly) and not just by Packer fans. Perception is reality.  I don't think winning a championship or super bowl would change that. To me, its his demeanor, facial expressions and body language. I am not sure winning a championship game would automatically make him a beloved figure. Its not just about winning, the bears have been fairly successful.  There are plenty of quarterbacks that have won less than Cutler but are not as widely regarded as an ass.

You can say "what if" all you want, but you can play that game with almost anything. The reality is what actually happened. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #926 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
The problem with Jay is that he has a huge image problem.  He has a pouty face, yells at his teammates, and isn't a great QB. 

Rodgers on the other hand, smiles, shows he enjoys the game (yes he also yells at his teammates), is a great QB, and has a great PR game.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #927 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
The problem with Jay is that he has a huge image problem.  He has a pouty face, yells at his teammates, and isn't a great QB. 

Rodgers on the other hand, smiles, shows he enjoys the game (yes he also yells at his teammates), is a great QB, and has a great PR game.

Exactly, and its not just about winning.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #928 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:07 AM »
During the game a Packer fan friend of mine told me Wallace throws like Uncle Rico.  Looks like he nailed it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcuktZe72ZI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bcuktZe72ZI</a>

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #929 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »
Cutler just missed the right timing.  If cigarette commercials were still allowed on TV, "Smokin' Jay Cutler" would just own anything Rodgers currently does.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #930 on: November 07, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
During the game a Packer fan friend of mine told me Wallace throws like Uncle Rico.  Looks like he nailed it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcuktZe72ZI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bcuktZe72ZI</a>

That's my concern as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled from watching Rodgers and Favre all these years, but I watch plenty pf football, and ot took about 2 pass attempts to figure put that he can't make NFL throws. I'm sure they can do some preparation to figure out to get him through the next few games against pretty bad teams, but I think I may be more concerned than most.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #931 on: November 07, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »
That's my concern as well. Maybe I'm just spoiled from watching Rodgers and Favre all these years, but I watch plenty pf football, and ot took about 2 pass attempts to figure put that he can't make NFL throws. I'm sure they can do some preparation to figure out to get him through the next few games against pretty bad teams, but I think I may be more concerned than most.

That pass that was tipped and picked off by peppers was ridiculous.  He threw it side arm right into his head. They are going to have to move him out of the pocket. He is too short, and throws sidearm, to stand in the pocket and throw over tall d lineman.  On top of that he doesn't look very mobile.

Part of it was the play calling. I know McCarthy didn't want to put too much on the qb but calling runs on 1st and 2nd down when they are loading up the box and then making Wallace throw on third and long when everyone and their mother know he has to throw, is a recipe for disaster. No qb would do well with that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #932 on: November 07, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »

Cutler is widely regarded as a douche (fairly or unfairly) and not just by Packer fans. Perception is reality.  I don't think winning a championship or super bowl would change that. To me, its his demeanor, facial expressions and body language. I am not sure winning a championship game would automatically make him a beloved figure. Its not just about winning, the bears have been fairly successful.  There are plenty of quarterbacks that have won less than Cutler but are not as widely regarded as an ass.

You can say "what if" all you want, but you can play that game with almost anything. The reality is what actually happened. 

That's where we differ and I believe you're completely wrong. Winning cures all. It always has and it always will.

Would Cutler become a beloved American sports figure if he wins a Super Bowl? Doubtful, but he would be viewed in a much more positive light.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #933 on: November 07, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
Even Wallace's couple of deep balls weren't really thrown with much zip.

That being said, I do think that getting him first team reps with a game plan that more fits his skills is going to have better results this Sunday.  As I mentioned, it is a good thing that they are playing three weaker opponents in the coming weeks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #934 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
That's where we differ and I believe you're completely wrong. Winning cures all. It always has and it always will.

Would Cutler become a beloved American sports figure if he wins a Super Bowl? Doubtful, but he would be viewed in a much more positive light.

He would be viewed pretty much like Joe Flacco is now.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #935 on: November 07, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »

Well I know one thing for sure. You will keep hoping that he wins a super bowl, to prove your point and I will keep hoping that he loses so we never find out for sure.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #936 on: November 07, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »

He would be viewed pretty much like Joe Flacco is now.

Flacco has 9 playoff wins....not bad. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #937 on: November 07, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Flacco has 9 playoff wins....not bad. 

I'm not saying he's a bad quarterback.  I just think the national perception of him is that he is a decent quarterback with a bland personality who won with a defensive-oriented team.  That is pretty much what Cutler's rep would have been.

Now if Rodgers hadn't won the Super Bowl...and ended his career without winning one?  Probably would be viewed as a lesser version of Dan Marino.  Great numbers.  Won a lot of games.  Didn't do it when it mattered.

But Rodgers has one a Super Bowl...and Cutler hasn't yet.  So it's all speculation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #938 on: November 07, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »

I'm not saying he's a bad quarterback.  I just think the national perception of him is that he is a decent quarterback with a bland personality who won with a defensive-oriented team.  That is pretty much what Cutler's rep would have been.

Now if Rodgers hadn't won the Super Bowl...and ended his career without winning one?  Probably would be viewed as a lesser version of Dan Marino.  Great numbers.  Won a lot of games.  Didn't do it when it mattered.

But Rodgers has one a Super Bowl...and Cutler hasn't yet.  So it's all speculation.

I agree, that is the perception.  Just as Romo is viewed as not getting it done when it matters, yet he has the highest 4th quarter rating in NFL (4th all time for all QB rating, not just 4th quarter) and 5th in 4th quarter comeback wins among active players.  Perceptions definitely play a role.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:26:33 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #939 on: November 07, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

I think Eli is the perfect example of this.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #940 on: November 07, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

Cutler is widely regarded as a douche (fairly or unfairly) and not just by Packer fans. Perception is reality.  I don't think winning a championship or super bowl would change that. To me, its his demeanor, facial expressions and body language. I am not sure winning a championship game would automatically make him a beloved figure. Its not just about winning, the bears have been fairly successful.  There are plenty of quarterbacks that have won less than Cutler but are not as widely regarded as an ass.

I agree on the perception of Cutler being a douche, but Rodgers gives off the same impression to a lot of people as well.  Like you said, it's not just about winning, and I don't think Rodger's superbowl and MVP have given him a pass in some people's mind.  Rodgers can be as arrogant and cocky as any other player in the league.  He always seems to have this smirk on his face, and his body language can be just as bad as Cutler's.  He also whines a lot.  The fact that he is really good at what he does (one of the best at what he does) I think allows some people to look past his attitude, but not everyone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #941 on: November 07, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
I agree on the perception of Cutler being a douche, but Rodgers gives off the same impression to a lot of people as well.  Like you said, it's not just about winning, and I don't think Rodger's superbowl and MVP have given him a pass in some people's mind.  Rodgers can be as arrogant and cocky as any other player in the league.  He always seems to have this smirk on his face, and his body language can be just as bad as Cutler's.  He also whines a lot.  The fact that he is really good at what he does (one of the best at what he does) I think allows some people to look past his attitude, but not everyone.

Can Rodgers be a douche?  Sure.  Every NFL quarterback can...and probably is.  But the difference is that Rodgers seems to have plenty of moments where he is pretty endearing.  You can't say that about Cutler.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #942 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
I agree on the perception of Cutler being a douche, but Rodgers gives off the same impression to a lot of people as well.  Like you said, it's not just about winning, and I don't think Rodger's superbowl and MVP have given him a pass in some people's mind.  Rodgers can be as arrogant and cocky as any other player in the league.  He always seems to have this smirk on his face, and his body language can be just as bad as Cutler's.  He also whines a lot.  The fact that he is really good at what he does (one of the best at what he does) I think allows some people to look past his attitude, but not everyone.

I think you're kind of alone here on this one.  I don't hear this sort of thing except from BBFs (Bitter Bear Fans).

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #943 on: November 07, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »

I bet you are a bears fan or Vikings fan, right? Very difficult to get an objective perception if you are.  

Most qbs are arrogant.  I would like you to cite some examples of Rodgers "whining"  I think the contrary is true.  In general, Rodgers has a likeable personality to the general non bear or Viking fan.   If not, companies wouldn't be so eager to have him pimping their products

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #944 on: November 07, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
  If not, companies wouldn't be so eager to have him pimping their products

I just canceled my State Farm homeowners and switched to a different company because they have a whiny spokesman.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #945 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
I bet you are a bears fan or Vikings fan, right? Very difficult to get an objective perception if you are.  

Most qbs are arrogant.  I would like you to cite some examples of Rodgers "whining"  I think the contrary is true.  In general, Rodgers has a likeable personality to the general non bear or Viking fan.   If not, companies wouldn't be so eager to have him pimping their products

Without that ring on his finger, do you think companies would still be so eager to have him pimping their products?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #946 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
Without that ring on his finger, do you think companies would still be so eager to have him pimping their products?

Still waiting for all those Flacco and Roethlisberger commercials.  Its more than just winning the super bowl

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #947 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
Still waiting for all those Flacco and Roethlisberger commercials.  Its more than just winning the super bowl

Flacco does have the huge McDonalds campaign with Kaep. Rapelisberger is in his own separate category though thanks to his CO incident.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #948 on: November 07, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

I bet you're a Packers fan, right?  Very difficult to get an objective perception if you are.

I'm just saying - he's as arrogant and cocky as anyone else.  Always with the smartass comments during his interviews.  Always looks displeased.  I'm sure others see him that way, also.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #949 on: November 07, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »

There are people who like Jay Cutler, too.  He also has endorsements.  People think he's funny... he had that NFL merch commercial last year that a lot of people thought was great... he's been in multiple episodes of The League... his wife is famous for just being famous... perhaps all the "I don't care" mentality is all a part of his PR game.

If he won the superbowl, I guarantee he would have tons of endorsements.