[Today at 08:59:12 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looney?  (Read 24079 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Looney?
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
Was just on scout.com and as it looks we are no longer listed as a school that he is considering.  The lead story is an update on his recruiting.   Having said that, I hope he ends up out of state.  Anyone heard anything different?

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Looney?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »
I heard Obama got re-elected.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Really, because just yesterday we were still listed as a school in the running.  It was just updated today and we are no longer listed.    Any smart answers on this?  I'm sure you have a few

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
We haven't been in contention for some time.  Scout was out of date.

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
Is Wisconsin still on the updated list?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »
Was just on scout.com and as it looks we are no longer listed as a school that he is considering.  The lead story is an update on his recruiting.   Having said that, I hope he ends up out of state.  Anyone heard anything different?

hehehehe... jon the clown.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
Yup, Wisconsin is still on the list

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
Yup, Wisconsin is still on the list

Too bad for Wisconsin, those bridesmaids dresses are so expensive and you can never really wear them anywhere else.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »
In guessing Looney will have a similar time like Tokoto and after a grueling decision with his family may choose school X over Wisky--but they were right there until the end.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Too bad for Wisconsin, those bridesmaids dresses are so expensive and you can never really wear them anywhere else.

Aaaannnndddd you just won the internet.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »

But that look is so cute on them...if only someone told them in advance they were going to be alongside the altar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »
Sorry, cannot agree about Bucky being the bridesmaid--if so, what are we?

I get tired of us losing in state big studs to UNC or Duke or wherever. Of course Kids have the right to go wherever they want. But losing guys like Tokoto or Looney to other programs bugs me. When that happens, it simply shows that MU is still not elite in the minds of many top big recruits in state. What turns some of these kids off to MU? A first class arena, a great tradition, a good school, a great conference(at least the last few years), and a caring good coach. Yes, we did get Blue, but was it more a bunch of Bucky fans turning Blue off to them. If we lose both Looney and Stone, we should be pissed. I am thankful for Burton and Du. Wilson, but some on this board seem to not believe they will impact the team much initially. Some feel Du. Wilson cannot even beat out De. Wilson.

We absolutely need to either get stud bigs in state when they are available, or land some from else where. Otule is not a stud, and Gardner is a good player, but where are the big studs for us? Sure hope that we can land Stone.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
As for Looney, Buzz' biggest obstacle was MU is in his hometown. Some kids just want to go away to school. Some like chicken, some like feathers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »
4ever

Does Bucky have real chance?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
As for Looney, Buzz' biggest obstacle was MU is in his hometown. Some kids just want to go away to school. Some like chicken, some like feathers.

Seriously, I never got why it's considered such a tragedy or recruiting failure to lose a home town or home state kid. I know at that age I wanted nothing more than to go somewhere else for college. That brought me several states and a time zone away to MU and I'm glad I did it. For others, staying home is the right thing for them. I'm hoping beyond hope that Stone falls into the latter camp, but it seems like Looney wanted to go away from the get-go. C'est la vie. We're in on a fast rising 2014 wing in Malek Harris, we'll be fine without Looney. We'd obviously be better with him, but  that was never really in the cards. Good luck to him at Duke.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
I love that people still look at the schools listed on those recruiting sites.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

I get tired of us losing in state big studs to UNC or Duke or wherever. Of course Kids have the right to go wherever they want. But losing guys like Tokoto or Looney to other programs bugs me. When that happens, it simply shows that MU is still not elite in the minds of many top big recruits in state. What turns some of these kids off to MU? A first class arena, a great tradition, a good school, a great conference(at least the last few years), and a caring good coach. Yes, we did get Blue, but was it more a bunch of Bucky fans turning Blue off to them. If we lose both Looney and Stone, we should be pissed. I am thankful for Burton and Du. Wilson, but some on this board seem to not believe they will impact the team much initially. Some feel Du. Wilson cannot even beat out De. Wilson.

We absolutely need to either get stud bigs in state when they are available, or land some from else where. Otule is not a stud, and Gardner is a good player, but where are the big studs for us? Sure hope that we can land Stone.

Dude, welcome to the world of college basketball. Did it just hit you that MU isn't on the level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world (at least not since AL)? It is frustrating to lose in state guys, but it is what it is. I'd be much more frustrated about losing players to Becky or other schools in the Midwest than I am about losing top 20 kids to Duke or UNC.

Bottom line: you keep winning, keep picking your recruiting battles, and sooner or later you start reeling in some of the big fish.

P.S. We just landed our best recruiting class in 30 years, so cheer up.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »

Because top recruits in other states never spurn top programs within that state  ::)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »

We are moving on to recruits that we have a realistic chance to get, rather than wasting precious recruiting time so that we can say; "We were right there until he choose Duke."

The downside to both Looney and Stone is that they will both almost certainly be one and done guys.  I'd love to have either one, and I think that Buzz has a shot at Stone, but there is a much bigger bang for one's recruiting buck when you get players who stay 3 or 4 years.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »
Dude, welcome to the world of college basketball. Did it just hit you that MU isn't on the level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world (at least not since AL)? It is frustrating to lose in state guys, but it is what it is. I'd be much more frustrated about losing players to Becky or other schools in the Midwest than I am about losing top 20 kids to Duke or UNC.

Bottom line: you keep winning, keep picking your recruiting battles, and sooner or later you start reeling in some of the big fish.

P.S. We just landed our best recruiting class in 30 years, so cheer up.

I don't look at it as we are not on the same level as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world and neither should Buzz. Every kid is different. Some want to stay home, some want to go out of State.  No school gets every single top recruit in their area. I would say MU's track record is pretty good as of late as far as recruiting local kids.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (well, don't need to state that here), but wasn't JuJuan J ranked higher than Blue. If he lived in Milwaukee people would say we finally got our top local talent. Buzz is stacking the roster and filling it with guys from every part of the country. We are damn lucky to have a coach who doesn't need to rely only on local talent. We are much more on par with how schools like MSU recruit (geographically speaking) than with how schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin recruit. Duke is pretty good, how many players are from Durham?
Recruiting is a national scene, and we are getting national recruits at the tier 1.5-3 level. I hope Marquette and Buzz get to the point of landing top 10 players, but watching Kentucky and Kansas I'm just not sure that we have the dirty money pockets to compete.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:26 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (well, don't need to state that here), but wasn't JuJuan J ranked higher than Blue. If he lived in Milwaukee people would say we finally got our top local talent. Buzz is stacking the roster and filling it with guys from every part of the country. We are damn lucky to have a coach who doesn't need to rely only on local talent. We are much more on par with how schools like MSU recruit (geographically speaking) than with how schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin recruit. Duke is pretty good, how many players are from Durham?
Recruiting is a national scene, and we are getting national recruits at the tier 1.5-3 level. I hope Marquette and Buzz get to the point of landing top 10 players, but watching Kentucky and Kansas I'm just not sure that we have the dirty money pockets to compete.

LOL, and guilty as charged.

One correction, Minnesota seems to have changed its recruiting once Pitino's kid took over for Tubby.  They are now after pretty much every kid from the east coast that MU was in on.  Pitino will have to recruit nationally to be in line for the Louisville job when his Dad moves on.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
but watching Kentucky and Kansas I'm just not sure that we have the dirty money pockets to compete.

I'm not in any way suggesting that there's $$ involved at either Kansas or Kentucky but I NEVER want to go down that path or even consider it.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »

Jajuan: RSCI #30
Blue: RSCI #48

You are correct, sir.

DJames and Robert Jackson are the only other guys we've gotten in the 30s at #36 (2005) and #33 (1998).  Diener and Jamil Wilson were both #40 (2001 & 2009).  I'd say Jajuan has a shot at being pretty damn good for us when all is said and done.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »

Here's the thing...Bucky doesn't realize they are the bridesmaid. They were sent to get a bridesmaid dress and for some reason think that shade of blue is actually white. What we are is smart enough to realize this kid is going out-of-state and not wasting resources trying to get a kid that won't be sticking around.

I get tired of us losing in state big studs to UNC or Duke or wherever. Of course Kids have the right to go wherever they want. But losing guys like Tokoto or Looney to other programs bugs me.

It really irks me that people still mention Tokoto constantly as losing a big recruit. Yes, he was highly ranked at one point, but Tokoto finished at #57 in the RSCI rankings, lower than Burton and just 2 spots ahead of Duane Wilson. So when it comes to "in-state big studs" we've landed two that are just as good as Tokoto.

When that happens, it simply shows that MU is still not elite in the minds of many top big recruits in state. What turns some of these kids off to MU? A first class arena, a great tradition, a good school, a great conference(at least the last few years), and a caring good coach.

The simple truth is that this program is not for everyone. Boot camp turns some guys off. Buzz's unwillingness to promise minutes turns some guys off. And as good as Buzz has been, to say he's on par with title-winners like K, Williams, Self, and Cal simply isn't the case yet. There's no shame in losing out to Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. Just about everyone loses out to them.

Yes, we did get Blue, but was it more a bunch of Bucky fans turning Blue off to them. If we lose both Looney and Stone, we should be pissed. I am thankful for Burton and Du. Wilson, but some on this board seem to not believe they will impact the team much initially. Some feel Du. Wilson cannot even beat out De. Wilson.

I think it was more people within the Wisconsin program that turned Blue off than the fans. If we lose both Looney and Stone, it won't be to Wisconsin, it will be to blue bloods that make a habit out of landing those type of recruits. And who cares if freshmen make an early impact? We have Otule, Gardner, Jamil, Mayo, Taylor, Anderson, and Derrick all coming back. Aside from Taylor, those guys all averaged over 10 mpg and they will likely average more than the 113.2 they accounted for in 2012-13. This is still an excellent roster and will be hard to break into.

And if Duane can't beat out Derrick, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Derrick is an excellent ball handler who doesn't turn it over. Even if he's just a facilitator, he doesn't really need to score with all the options we have returning.

You realize this broken record has been playing since the mid-90s, right?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback