Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander at the Combine  (Read 15521 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Vander at the Combine
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Any word on if he's made an appearance yet or how he's been doing? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Vander at the Combine
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
ESPNU from 9am to 1pm Central, and then on ESPN2 from 1pm to 2pm

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
I think I heard Vander was going to be on at 1 on ESPN 2.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
Vander's measurables are going to get him drafted. Book it!

(Yes, I realize there's really no way to prove this unless a GM comes right out as says it, but if Blue gets drafted, I'm still taking credit)

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »
Vander Blue from DePaul..... ?-(

Eldon

• All American
Vander Blue at combine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
*Already worked out for Lakers
*Has a total of 13 or 14 workouts including the Nets and Pistons
*Butler, DJO, Jae, and Wade helped him make the decision to declare for draft
*He's been working out intensely in LA area with ray mccallum and kelly olynik (zags guy), among others

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207774821.html

Dunk The Ball Eric

• Walk-On
Re: Vander Blue at combine
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
He measured 6 3.5 (without shoes) with a 6 6 wingspan. 197 pounds and 4.6% body fat.

Chad Ford said some of the top picks really underwhelmed with their measurements, especially Shabazz Muhammad who was 6 4 and change. Based on evaluations of those 2 you would think Shabazz had 4 inches on Vander.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »
*Already worked out for Lakers
*Has a total of 13 or 14 workouts including the Nets and Pistons
*Butler, DJO, Jae, and Wade helped him make the decision to declare for draft
*He's been working out intensely in LA area with ray mccallum and kelly olynik (zags guy), among others

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207774821.html

So he got some intelligent input about his decision and not just some Joe-Smo. That's good to hear.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
He measured 6 3.5 (without shoes) with a 6 6 wingspan. 197 pounds and 4.6% body fat.

Chad Ford said some of the top picks really underwhelmed with their measurements, especially Shabazz Muhammad who was 6 4 and change. Based on evaluations of those 2 you would think Shabazz had 4 inches on Vander.

Kansas' Ben McLemore was just 6-3.5 in socks and 6-4.75 in shoes. He has a 6-7.75 wingspan.

Victor Oladipo was even smaller at 6-3.25 in socks and 6-4.25 in shoes. His wingspan was 6-9.25, though.

I don't think Vander's size will be a determining factor in whether he gets drafted or not.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »
So he got some intelligent input about his decision and not just some Joe-Smo. That's good to hear.
Wade told him to follow is heart. That is nice advice, but meaningless.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »

What do you want from him? Wade isn't a scout or a Liam Neeson character.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
Most interesting quote in my opinion ...

"And I think on the offensive end I can create my own shot over them because I'm pretty good size for a point guard."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
He thinks he is going to be a Russell Westbrook kind of point guard. He was at my brothers house right after he declared and told him that this is what all the scouts were telling him.

He seems to be convinced that he is a PG, in some interviews he said he was recruited as one, played the position in high school, and feels that is what he is best at.
Bring back FFP!!!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »
He thinks he is going to be a Russell Westbrook kind of point guard. He was at my brothers house right after he declared and told him that this is what all the scouts were telling him.

He seems to be convinced that he is a PG, in some interviews he said he was recruited as one, played the position in high school, and feels that is what he is best at gives him the best shot at being drafted and sticking in the NBA.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
What do you want from him? Wade isn't a scout or a Liam Neeson character.

I think by playing in the league for ten years, your opinion of potential counts for something.

TempoFree

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9285282/2013-nba-draft-notes-day-1-draft-combine

"Who didn't help themselves?
 It's pretty hard to hurt your stock in a camp like this. But there was some negativity around the poor shooting performances by Archie Goodwin, B.J. Young and Vander Blue. All three players really struggled to look the part of "shooting" guards in the drills on Thursday. Every year NBA scouts and GMs scour the measurements portion of the combine. We published the results last night and you can find the measurements for every player in the camp plus analysis here."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9285282/2013-nba-draft-notes-day-1-draft-combine

"Who didn't help themselves?
 It's pretty hard to hurt your stock in a camp like this. But there was some negativity around the poor shooting performances by Archie Goodwin, B.J. Young and Vander Blue. All three players really struggled to look the part of "shooting" guards in the drills on Thursday. Every year NBA scouts and GMs scour the measurements portion of the combine. We published the results last night and you can find the measurements for every player in the camp plus analysis here."
Shocking.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Blue is a point guard and was best we had at pushing ball up the court in transition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
Blue is going to struggle if he is going to be an NBA point guard since he rarely, if ever, played PG in college.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
Blue is not a point guard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
MU Mark

I guess time will tell.

Dunk The Ball Eric

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »
This was on ESPN's rumor central titled "Why Blue may not get drafted"

Marquette's Vander Blue is one of the big mysteries as we head toward next month's draft. Because there are questions about whether he will even be drafted, he initially wasn't supposed to be at this week's draft combine, but a spot opened up and he has taken part in the sessions. Unfortunately, he didn't knock anyone's socks off Thursday, which has left many wondering if he will be selected at all.

"According to several NBA officials, including some general managers and player personnel officials, Blue is generally projected as a mid-second round pick," wrote Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times. "However, there are some NBA scouts who contend he won’t be drafted at all. They also believe Blue should have remained at Marquette for his final season."

Another mystery is which position he will play as a pro. The collegiate shooting guard thinks his best role as a pro might be running the point.

“I would like to play point guard (in the pros),” Blue said. “I want to show people I can bring the ball up the court.

Clearly he is going to be a project at the next level at either position, but working the point might help cover up some of the inadequacies he displayed at the two during Thursday's combine session:

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
This was on ESPN's rumor central titled "Why Blue may not get drafted"

Marquette's Vander Blue is one of the big mysteries as we head toward next month's draft. Because there are questions about whether he will even be drafted, he initially wasn't supposed to be at this week's draft combine, but a spot opened up and he has taken part in the sessions. Unfortunately, he didn't knock anyone's socks off Thursday, which has left many wondering if he will be selected at all.

"According to several NBA officials, including some general managers and player personnel officials, Blue is generally projected as a mid-second round pick," wrote Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times. "However, there are some NBA scouts who contend he won’t be drafted at all. They also believe Blue should have remained at Marquette for his final season."

Another mystery is which position he will play as a pro. The collegiate shooting guard thinks his best role as a pro might be running the point.

“I would like to play point guard (in the pros),” Blue said. “I want to show people I can bring the ball up the court.

Clearly he is going to be a project at the next level at either position, but working the point might help cover up some of the inadequacies he displayed at the two during Thursday's combine session:

Blue is no where near quick enough to play the point in the NBA and whatever quickness he has is negated by a quicker point guard playing defense against him. His only advantage over a PG guarding him is shooting over him, and we all know that's not his strongest attribute.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »

I want to follow my heart, quit my job, live on a beach....something tells me following one's heart isn't always the smartest thing to do.  Hope it works out for him.

feedback