Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander at the Combine  (Read 15522 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: Vander at the Combine
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
Right. Blue should have used his head, not his heart. And if that's the best advice Wade could give him... thanks, but no thanks.

Blue has some serious delusions of grandeur.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:51:23 PM by Boone »

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
Blue is no where near quick enough to play the point in the NBA and whatever quickness he has is negated by a quicker point guard playing defense against him. His only advantage over a PG guarding him is shooting over him, and we all know that's not his strongest attribute.

Hater.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
nice

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
Looks like he is pretty quick in the lane.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
Blue is no where near quick enough to play the point in the NBA and whatever quickness he has is negated by a quicker point guard playing defense against him. His only advantage over a PG guarding him is shooting over him, and we all know that's not his strongest attribute.

Blue finished top 5 in the modified lane agility, lane agility, and sprints tests.

Last two years, only two players finished in the top 6 in each three categories. Marquis Teague and Brandon Knight -- both PGs (and first rd picks).

No ones asking Blue to run an offense - but he certainly has the speed and agility to give a GM hope that he can DEFEND a PG.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
Blue finished top 5 in the modified lane agility, lane agility, and sprints tests.

Last two years, only two players finished in the top 6 in each three categories. Marquis Teague and Brandon Knight -- both PGs (and first rd picks).

No ones asking Blue to run an offense - but he certainly has the speed and agility to give a GM hope that he can DEFEND a PG.

That's actually a good point.

He might be a guy who you draft in the 2nd round and ends up developing into a decent combo defender/role player.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
Nobody got the ball up court in transition quicker than Blue did. Several times he got defensive rebound and took ball coast to coast and beat everyone down the court. If Buzz would have allowed him to play point this year it would have helped both the team and Blue. His game is suited to play point in up tempo offense.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Raw #'s make it look like they are all close, but Vander being about 15-17% (huge statistically) faster in this drill than some lotto picks have to pique the interest of some GMs.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
those height numbers are interesting, and kinda funny.  Add and inch and round up to get the NBA height (in shoes...whatever).  So I'm 6'4.5", round up, 6'5" and add one, 6'6"... huh.  Makes me feel tall, but also sad that I can't dunk like every player in the league that is much shorter than me  ;D

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
Vander is a winner here.

http://nbadraft.net/combine-measurement-analysis-0

Love this. NBA Combine results never make or break a prospect. But with such a weak draft class, a strong combine performance can make you stand out in a year where very few players stand out. At the very least, its another selling point he can bring up during team interviews.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
Nobody got the ball up court in transition quicker than Blue did. Several times he got defensive rebound and took ball coast to coast and beat everyone down the court.

No question, Blue can score in a full court setting. But, can be a distributor as well? If his role is to be an energy PG for team (coming off the bench to increase the tempo) , he will not only have to score in transition, but also set-up his teammates. There's no evidence from his MU career that he can be a distributor in the full-court.

BostonMUaler

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
I would argue that Blue in his earlier seasons held the ball and picked up his dribble a lot.
This is right after he is coming from HS as a PG but we all knew his confident issues as well.
I think he has good vision but question his hands, although his jumper did improve immensely this past year....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
His workouts numbers for speed, etc. were pretty good, but his shooting on Thursday was horrible.  That may overide the measurements in the draft. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
His workouts numbers for speed, etc. were pretty good, but his shooting on Thursday was horrible.  That may overide the measurements in the draft. 

True.

But it's now up to Vander to shine in individual and group workouts for the teams.
SS Marquette

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
That's actually a good point.

He might be a guy who you draft in the 2nd round and ends up developing into a decent combo defender/role player.

AKA Tony Allen (as said in a previous thread). That's actually a great comparison. Limited offensive players and bad poor jump shooters but very solid defenders, if Vander could become another Tony Allen I would consider that a success.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
So, Shabazz first exaggerated his age and now his height.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
Watching Vander and the combine on ESPN3.

Does anyone have the time mark when they start to talk more in depth about him?
SS Marquette

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »

Not surprised. I will stick with my prediction that Vander excels at the combine and definitely gets drafted.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
There are some teams at the end of the first that might be interested in a combo defender:
 - Knicks particularly are full of slow guards that can't defend anyone, especially depending on how Shumpert is recovering (pablo prigioni anyone?)
 - Memphis with Tony Allen being an UFA after this season. If he can slow down Tony Parker and then draw a banged up Wade in the finals, he could be set up for an even bigger payday
 - LAC if they trade Bledsoe and don't want to overburden Paul with the toughest defensive matchup on the floor all game
 - OKC, but with Thabo on the books for another year, I doubt they go that direction

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
There are some teams at the end of the first that might be interested in a combo defender:
 - Knicks particularly are full of slow guards that can't defend anyone, especially depending on how Shumpert is recovering (pablo prigioni anyone?)
 - Memphis with Tony Allen being an UFA after this season. If he can slow down Tony Parker and then draw a banged up Wade in the finals, he could be set up for an even bigger payday
 - LAC if they trade Bledsoe and don't want to overburden Paul with the toughest defensive matchup on the floor all game
 - OKC, but with Thabo on the books for another year, I doubt they go that direction

I like the Memphis theory, very interesting.  They have made some very shrewd moves since bringing Hollinger aboard, and have brought advanced metrics to the forefront of player personnel decisions.  They won't overpay for Allen, and if they see a guy with Vander's measurables + standout midrange game + defensive reputation + coming from a program that has produced versatile undervalued players good for team chemistry recently in Matthews, Butler and Crowder, they might see Vander as an excellent fit, be that as a first or second round pick.  The Grizz are a hot young team with a good front office, I'd really like to see him end up there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
"I'll take the charge."

1 in 3 years, baby.

He is telling them what they wanna hear. ALL players do that..

feedback