Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander at the Combine  (Read 15520 times)

brandx

Re: Vander at the Combine
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »
There are some teams at the end of the first that might be interested in a combo defender:
 - Knicks particularly are full of slow guards that can't defend anyone, especially depending on how Shumpert is recovering (pablo prigioni anyone?)
 - Memphis with Tony Allen being an UFA after this season. If he can slow down Tony Parker and then draw a banged up Wade in the finals, he could be set up for an even bigger payday
 - LAC if they trade Bledsoe and don't want to overburden Paul with the toughest defensive matchup on the floor all game
 - OKC, but with Thabo on the books for another year, I doubt they go that direction

If I'm remembering correctly this is how Wes made his name - defending Kobe in the playoffs as a rookie.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Vander Blue at combine
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
Wade told him to follow is heart. That is nice advice, but meaningless.

How is that advice meaningless? Perhaps that is the key to a life without regret.

Death on call

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
How is that advice meaningless? Perhaps that is the key to a life without regret.

Perhaps it's the key to a life full of regret.

Glad we got those perhaps out of the way and we can go back to talking sensibly.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
Hey, is it possible to LOVE Marquette bball, but HATE the fan base?? serious question.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
"I'll take the charge."

1 in 3 years, baby.

Haha I laughed at that too. But to the larger point that he'll play whatever role a team needs him to in order to win, I think he proved that at MU. Pretty much did what Buzz asked him to do, whether that benefitted him personally on the stat sheet or not.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Haha I laughed at that too. But to the larger point that he'll play whatever role a team needs him to in order to win, I think he proved that at MU. Pretty much did what Buzz asked him to do, whether that benefitted him personally on the stat sheet or not.

+1000

brandx

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Absolutly right!

We tend to look at his lack of a consistent jump shot as though that is the deciding factor as to whether he makes it or not.

Vander is a baller with outstanding athletic skills - I'm guessing very late 1st to mid 2nd round. All teams need someone to defend the Wades, Rondos, and Roses of the world.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
chicagotribune.com

Marquette's Blue sought draft advice from Bulls' Butler

By Shannon Ryan

Tribune reporter

1:27 PM CDT, May 17, 2013

Vander Blue’s NCAA tournament as a junior was one of the most remarkable among college basketball players. He helped lead Marquette to the Elite Eight, a game-winning shot against Davidson, 29 points against Butler and a 7-for-12 shooting night to beat Miami.

In Blue’s eyes, the performances were proof he was NBA ready.

“At first I really wasn’t thinking of leaving at all until after I played in the tournament,” he said Friday at the NBA predraft combine at Attack Athletics. “I knew I was ready. Nothing was really telling me to stay in school. I felt like it was my time and I wanted to strike when I was hot.”

His decision to forego his last season of eligibility irked some Marquette fans and had some basketball analysts questioning whether it was the right move.

He is predicted in mock drafts to be taken in the second round, although Blue said he thinks a team might take a chance on him in the late first round.

Blue, who is 6-foot-4, is hoping his athleticism and breakout junior season will prompt NBA general managers to see him in the same mold as Russell Westbrook or John Wall. After playing off the ball at Marquette, Blue reminds teams that he played point guard most of his life.

He decided to enter the draft on the last day but not before talking things over with his former teammate Jimmy Butler, now with the Bulls. His advice?

“’Just go hard every single day,’” Blue said Butler told him. “’Don’t look too far ahead. Don’t look at what anyone else has to say.’ If he really felt it wasn’t right for me, knowing his experience in the NBA, he would have told me to stay.”

He could wind up a teammate of Butler again. The Bulls have scheduled him for a workout before the June 27 NBA draft, he said.

Blue, who averaged 14.8 points a game last season, said he shakes off criticism about his decision to leave Marquette early.

“I’m not really concerned about what everybody else has to say about my decision,” he said. “I know a lot of Marquette fans wanted me to stay, partially being selfish because they want the team to win more I guess. I can’t live for everybody. I can’t make everybody happy. It’s about me living my life and me having no regrets.”

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
chicagotribune.com

He could wind up a teammate of Butler again. The Bulls have scheduled him for a workout before the June 27 NBA draft, he said.

I love Vander. But I'll pass on that. I like that aforementioned Memphis scenario.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
If I'm remembering correctly this is how Wes made his name - defending Kobe in the playoffs as a rookie.

Not to mention Jimmy was getting press for his defense on LeBron in the playoffs and Kobe in the regular season, in 2 games vs Kobe he held him to an an average of 17.5 points on around 37 percent shooting.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=olRRaIZAcmk

chicagotribune.com

Marquette's Blue sought draft advice from Bulls' Butler

By Shannon Ryan

Tribune reporter

1:27 PM CDT, May 17, 2013

Vander Blue’s NCAA tournament as a junior was one of the most remarkable among college basketball players. He helped lead Marquette to the Elite Eight, a game-winning shot against Davidson, 29 points against Butler and a 7-for-12 shooting night to beat Miami.

In Blue’s eyes, the performances were proof he was NBA ready.

“At first I really wasn’t thinking of leaving at all until after I played in the tournament,” he said Friday at the NBA predraft combine at Attack Athletics. “I knew I was ready. Nothing was really telling me to stay in school. I felt like it was my time and I wanted to strike when I was hot.”

His decision to forego his last season of eligibility irked some Marquette fans and had some basketball analysts questioning whether it was the right move.

He is predicted in mock drafts to be taken in the second round, although Blue said he thinks a team might take a chance on him in the late first round.

Blue, who is 6-foot-4, is hoping his athleticism and breakout junior season will prompt NBA general managers to see him in the same mold as Russell Westbrook or John Wall. After playing off the ball at Marquette, Blue reminds teams that he played point guard most of his life.

He decided to enter the draft on the last day but not before talking things over with his former teammate Jimmy Butler, now with the Bulls. His advice?

“’Just go hard every single day,’” Blue said Butler told him. “’Don’t look too far ahead. Don’t look at what anyone else has to say.’ If he really felt it wasn’t right for me, knowing his experience in the NBA, he would have told me to stay.”

Blue, who averaged 14.8 points a game last season, said he shakes off criticism about his decision to leave Marquette early.

“I’m not really concerned about what everybody else has to say about my decision,” he said. “I know a lot of Marquette fans wanted me to stay, partially being selfish because they want the team to win more I guess. I can’t live for everybody. I can’t make everybody happy. It’s about me living my life and me having no regrets.”
SS Marquette

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
As I have said in multiple prior posts, VDB is a 1st round draft pick. He may be the best 1-2 guard DEFENDER in the draft. The league wants ready-made defenders ala JFB. "Shooters are in the news but most can't defend like the Vander Blues". In my opinion,his offense will develop just like JFB.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
I don't think its selfishness that is making people upset about his decision. If he was a guaranteed first round pick, I don't think most people here would have been mad about him jumping: disappointed maybe, but not mad. Its just damn frustrating for him to leave for such a small chance at the association.

And if you're reading this Vander, I'd quit talking about how you're hoping to "strike it while you're hot."
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »
Perhaps it's the key to a life full of regret.

Glad we got those perhaps out of the way and we can go back to talking sensibly.

Talking sensibly? You mean meaningless personal opinions based on zero empiricism? If Wade told Vander Blue to follow his heart and Blue acted accordingly then it is the correct decision for Vander Blue.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
As I have said in multiple prior posts, VDB is a 1st round draft pick. He may be the best 1-2 guard DEFENDER in the draft. The league wants ready-made defenders ala JFB. "Shooters are in the news but most can't defend like the Vander Blues". In my opinion,his offense will develop just like JFB.

Something in your post makes me believe that it is possible NBA teams are downplaying him so as to steal him at their slot.

You may just have convinced me that he may sneak into the late 1st or early 2nd.
SS Marquette

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
Of course he'll go earlier.... he's a Warrior!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »

JFB was a much, much better defender than Vander was and could guard all 5 positions in college.  JFB also had a very smooth and effective jumpshot.  He didn't take many 3's as it wasn't part of his game, but he could shoot it effectively.  JFB was even equally clutch compared to Vander.  

Even with all that JFB barely was a 1st round pick and surprised most analysts.

I hope the best for Vander, but I'd be surprised if he was drafted in the first round.  Lets hope he at least gets a shot and gets drafted at all.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
JFB was a much, much better defender than Vander was and could guard all 5 positions in college.  JFB also had a very smooth and effective jumpshot.  He didn't take many 3's as it wasn't part of his game, but he could shoot it effectively.  JFB was even equally clutch compared to Vander.  

Even with all that JFB barely was a 1st round pick and surprised most analysts.

I hope the best for Vander, but I'd be surprised if he was drafted in the first round.  Lets hope he at least gets a shot and gets drafted at all.

Haha. One of many foolish statements. I can remember when people on here thought JFB and Jae wouldnt get drafted at all...I forgot this board had a bunch of experts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
Haha. One of many foolish statements. I can remember when people on here thought JFB and Jae wouldnt get drafted at all...I forgot this board had a bunch of experts.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, Van.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
Hey, is it possible to LOVE Marquette bball, but HATE the fan base?? serious question.

Hard to say.  When Favre left and all the Packer fans were talking so much crap about how he was washed up EVEN when he was a Packer, it made me furious.  Fans went from "Brett brought us a SB!!" to "Man, one SB in 16 seasons, dude sucks."  It made me still LOVE the Packers, yet HATE the fanbase.  Eventually, after so much trash talking about Favre and downplaying his achievements even as a Packer, I became (and still am) apathetic to the Packers and their successes/failures.

Anyway, I definitely wanted Vander to stay.  Two reasons.  Like Vander said in that interview, it's selfish--with him next year, we go to the FF (maybe with him running point).  Second reason is that I too wanted him to leave for a more secure spot in the draft based on what the experts were saying. 

When all is said and done, if he's good enough to get into the league, he'll eventually make it.  And on June 27th I'll be at the Barclay's Center rocking my Bucks hat and Marquette jersey.  When Stern calls Vander's name, I'm going to go nuts.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »

Its sports, that's why it is such a great thing because everybody has their own opinion.  On this board at times, there are those that ream you because of your expressed opinions.  Especially the use of the word "experts" by some after others make a statement/point/opinion/thought.  Board members never said they are "experts", they just want to say what they think or believe, then they get accused by some. Don't get frustrated, just kick back and read.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »

Maybe you weren't, but I was very high on JFB even as a sophomore and expected him to play in the league.  He exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds, but he was a better pro prospect coming out of college than Vander.

Remember also that Butler was young (like Vander) compared to the peers in his class.

I did not think Jae would get drafted, thought he was too small and not athletic enough.  He proved that wrong at the combine and went on to show that his hustle, all out play translates to the next level.

What Vander has in relation to both of them is more raw natural ability.  The question is whether he will develop that potential.  That makes him a gamble, first round would be a bit much.  Second round or undrafted free agent more likely.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

After their senior year?  I doubt very many people didn't think they would be drafted after their senior year.  After their junior year...probably...but isn't that the point, they stayed through their senior year. 

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
There are some teams at the end of the first that might be interested in a combo defender:
 - Knicks particularly are full of slow guards that can't defend anyone, especially depending on how Shumpert is recovering (pablo prigioni anyone?)
 - Memphis with Tony Allen being an UFA after this season. If he can slow down Tony Parker and then draw a banged up Wade in the finals, he could be set up for an even bigger payday
 - LAC if they trade Bledsoe and don't want to overburden Paul with the toughest defensive matchup on the floor all game
 - OKC, but with Thabo on the books for another year, I doubt they go that direction

I would look more at coaching staff and GM when predicting a land spot, rather than which players are leaving. Vander is going to be an acquired taste when it comes to coaches/GMs.

One newly hired GM that may have interest is Ryan McDonough in Phoenix. This is a guy who was in the Celtics organization while they had Tony Allen, Avery Bradley, and Rajon Rondo drafted as first rounders in the back court. All defensive minded guards.

Phoenix currently has offensive minded-Goran Dragic at PG, with Kendall Marshall backing him up. They also have a wide-open SG spot with Wesley Johnson likely being shown the door as a free agent. Phoenix is set with 3 picks, where McDonough can try put his stamp on the team (even in a down year). Since there aren't a lot of skilled players, one thing he can do, is bring in defensive minded players like Vander in the late 1st round, or with his late 2nd rounder.

Phoenix would be an interesting landing spot at #30 (their second, 1st round pick).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
I would look more at coaching staff and GM when predicting a land spot, rather than which players are leaving. Vander is going to be an acquired taste when it comes to coaches/GMs.

One newly hired GM that may have interest is Ryan McDonough in Phoenix. This is a guy who was in the Celtics organization while they had Tony Allen, Avery Bradley, and Rajon Rondo drafted as first rounders in the back court. All defensive minded guards.

Phoenix currently has offensive minded-Goran Dragic at PG, with Kendall Marshall backing him up. They also have a wide-open SG spot with Wesley Johnson likely being shown the door as a free agent. Phoenix is set with 3 picks, where McDonough can try put his stamp on the team (even in a down year). Since there aren't a lot of skilled players, one thing he can do, is bring in defensive minded players like Vander in the late 1st round, or with his late 2nd rounder.

Phoenix would be an interesting landing spot at #30 (their second, 1st round pick).

All it takes is one.  You could have all teams saying he's a 2nd rounder or even a non-draftee, but if one team says he's a first rounder and pulls the trigger, that's all it takes.