'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:39:18 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander at the Combine  (Read 15528 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Vander at the Combine
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
Since when is Vander "defensive minded?" He was a solid defender, but lets not blow it out of proportion. He doesn't exactly have piss and vinegar drinking defender written all over him. It's like you are all trying to convince yourselves. I'm a Bulls fan. If they used a first round pick on him, I'd be disappointed. I might be OK with a 2nd rounder, but I'd be SHOCKED if he made the team. I don't know enough about the Bucks roster, but can they afford a shooting guard who can't shoot or even a shooting guard "known" for his defense? I doubt it.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Since when is Vander "defensive minded?" He was a solid defender, but lets not blow it out of proportion. He doesn't exactly have piss and vinegar drinking defender written all over him. It's like you are all trying to convince yourselves. I'm a Bulls fan. If they used a first round pick on him, I'd be disappointed. I might be OK with a 2nd rounder, but I'd be SHOCKED if he made the team. I don't know enough about the Bucks roster, but can they afford a shooting guard who can't shoot or even a shooting guard "known" for his defense? I doubt it.

What would you call a player that has glaring offensive limitations, but may still get drafted strictly because of his athleticism and defensive potential? I would consider that defensive-minded.

I don't think he will be a 1st round pick. Never did. But I think he will get drafted in the 2nd round because of his athleticism and defense-- or at least his potential to become a versatile NBA Defender. Not exactly "blown out of proportion". Not even a little bit. Read any scouting report on Vander, and his "strengths" will revolve around defensive abilities, or defensive potential. I didn't call him a lock-down defender, but he will be known for his defense. That's a no-brainer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
Vander is plenty quick enough to play PG. Deron Williams is an All-Star and nobody would call him exceedingly quick. Was John Stockton super quick? Was Magic? Each had (or in Williams' case, has) other strengths, but quickness was/is not paramount to their success.

I am not sure if Vander has the vision and/or court sense to make teammates better as a PG. I also don't know how good he'll be able to handle the ball while slicing through an NBA lane inhabited by super-athletic big men.

I never saw him play one second in high school, so if he says he was recruited as a PG, I take him at his word. But he certainly wasn't impressive at Marquette during the stretches in which Buzz used him at PG as a frosh and soph. Plenty of folks, including me, wish Buzz would have played him some at point this past season. But maybe one major reason Vander finally became an excellent college player was because he never had to concentrate on making those around him better. Buzz might have thought putting him in that role would detract both from Vander and the team.

As for his defense, Vander certainly seems to have most of the skills necessary to be a very good perimeter defender. But he's nothing like JFB, who is able to defend very good NBA small forwards and who even did a decent job on LeBron. Wes also had a much more "NBA-ready" body at a similar stage of his career, making him more able to defend a post-up guard - something Vander has never had to do.

It will be interesting to watch the draft and then to watch Vander's progress.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
According to the Mpls Star & Tribune

T-Wolves used one of their allowed Combine interviews to meet with Vander...they are looking at the 2-guard position.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/208025801.html

Looking at one website (which was hard to understand)...it looks like the T-wolves have 1 first round draft choice...and 3 second round picks.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
According to the Mpls Star & Tribune

T-Wolves used one of their allowed Combine interviews to meet with Vander...they are looking at the 2-guard position.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/208025801.html

Looking at one website (which was hard to understand)...it looks like the T-wolves have 1 first round draft choice...and 3 second round picks.

Reading through the article it said Minn has 2 1st's and 2 2nd's. They clearly want a 2 but Vander has some stiff competition:

"In Chicago, the Wolves interviewed everyone from potential No. 1 overall pick Ben McLemore of Kansas to Georgia’s Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Michigan’s Tim Hardaway Jr., Providence’s Ricky Ledo, Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin, North Carolina’s Reggie Bullock and Marquette’s Vander Blue — shooting guards all..."

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:47 AM »

I am not sure if Vander has the vision and/or court sense to make teammates better as a PG. I also don't know how good he'll be able to handle the ball while slicing through an NBA lane inhabited by super-athletic big men.

Not to change the subject, but I feel the same way about D. Wilson as far as court vision and slicing. But some feel he should start on the college level. There may be like minded GMs that view Vander highly and draft him in the first round. It's possible.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:10 AM »
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Draft Express's post combine mock draft.  Vander now is not listed at all.  Pre-combine mock draft had him going in second round. 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Draft Express's post combine mock draft.  Vander now is not listed at all.  Pre-combine mock draft had him going in second round. 

Why look at any mock draft if team needs are not taken into consideration? It turns into one bozos guess.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Why look at any mock draft if team needs are not taken into consideration? It turns into one bozos guess.

Because team need isn't that big of a factor in the back end of the second round. If you expect the 50th pick to contribute in the 8 man rotation, you have serious problems as a team. You take BP all day at that position. Fans always look at the the top 2 stringers when saying if its a team need, but that late they would be competing against the 12th-15th roster spots so its doesn't matter even if they have 2 stud SGs.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
pretty good interview with Van - seems confident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olRRaIZAcmk

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »

He can't afford not to be.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

That's never been a weak spot for him.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
Vander's best chance at providing value to a NBA team is at PG.  He has pretty good size for a PG and could be a capable defender.  But his decision making has a long way to go before he can make a real contribution at that level.  If he can knock down outside shots more consistently that takes some pressure of the rest of his game.  Hope he finds a spot but I'm not holding my breath.