[Today at 02:22:57 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cities suck, suburbs blow (i.e. chicago and burbs)  (Read 20096 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Cities suck, suburbs blow (i.e. chicago and burbs)
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
As a state of Illinois taxpayer, I am infinity percent against this plan. If the city wants to use their own money, fine, I don't care. As a Kane County resident, I expect to contribute zero dollars and zero cents to this proposal, and I live in the suburbs. Quinn's up for re-election next year, after saying "no way will I raise state income taxes" during his last campaign (for those that don't live in the state, income taxes went up 66% literally minutes before the incoming state legislature for 2011 was coming in), there is no way he will offer state money for this. Good luck trying to convince anyone south of I-80 to support this.

Kane county residents consider themselves in suburbs? We consider you in the country...
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Kane county residents consider themselves in suburbs? We consider you in the country...

Get out of the city once in awhile, Boxer.  Urban sprawl goes practically to DeKalb now.  And there aren't many farms left in Kane, especially the ones that aren't basically tourist attractions with apples and pumpkins instead of corn and soybeans.

When we moved to Western DuPage 24 years ago, it was the boonies.  Now we are almost considered an inner suburb.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
Get out of the city once in awhile, Boxer.  Urban sprawl goes practically to DeKalb now.  And there aren't many farms left in Kane, especially the ones that aren't basically tourist attractions with apples and pumpkins instead of corn and soybeans.

When we moved to Western DuPage 24 years ago, it was the boonies.  Now we are almost considered an inner suburb.

The farthest out I dare venture is to the Woodfield Mall anywhere past that the Deliverance song always starts playing for some reason.  But more seriously, if Dupage is considered inner suburbs what're Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero and Park Ridge considered now days? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
The farthest out I dare venture is to the Woodfield Mall anywhere past that the Deliverance song always starts playing for some reason.  But more seriously, if Dupage is considered inner suburbs what're Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero and Park Ridge considered now days?  

It is better to deal with all the deliverance people out west than the crap that resides in the city.  I love Chicago, alot of it is great, but much of it is a cesspool.  Glad I live in the burbs, all the good stuff the city has to offer a half hour away, but lawns and ample free parking.  I can't imagine why anyone over 27 would want to live in the city.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:49:28 AM by buckchuckler »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
It is better to deal with all the deliverance people out west than the crap that resides in the city.  I love Chicago, alot of it is great, but much of it is a cesspool.  Glad I live in the burbs, all the good stuff the city has to offer a half hour away, but lawns and ample free parking.  I can't imagine why anyone over 27 would want to live in the city.  

Well I'm not over 27 but I can say my parents were right off the boat from Ireland and we moved to a neighborhood to be close to other families that were right off the boat.  Beyond that, no commute, not have to drive to do anything, block parties that are legit, a new adventure around every corner for kids, and you can park on the street. (something I missed when we moved to Oak Park) 
Maigh Eo for Sam

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »
I can't imagine why anyone over 27 would want to live in the city.  

Really? World class restaurants, theaters, concert venues, and ballparks within a stone's toss to name a few reasons.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
  But more seriously, if Dupage is considered inner suburbs what're Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero and Park Ridge considered now days? 

The City.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
Good luck trying to convince anyone south of I-80 to support this.

The folks south of I-80 don't support most of what the State of Illinois does. Since when has that mattered?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »
The farthest out I dare venture is to the Woodfield Mall anywhere past that the Deliverance song always starts playing for some reason.  But more seriously, if Dupage is considered inner suburbs what're Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero and Park Ridge considered now days? 

The only people who consider DuPage an inner suburb are the people who live in DuPage.

Its the boondocks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
Really? World class restaurants, theaters, concert venues, and ballparks within a stone's toss to name a few reasons.

Don't forget horrendous taxes, crime, government corruption, unforgivably terrible public schools, traffic, crumbling infrastructure.......
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
The City.

Which means the actual city is considered... what exactly? And does this also mean that Milwaukee and Rockford are suburbs of Chicago? Because that's where this seams to be heading.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:36:05 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Glad I live in the burbs, all the good stuff the city has to offer a half hour away

Really? I'm curious what suburb you're referring to.

I work in the suburbs and live in the city. I'm not saying I'd raise a family here, but I'm in my late 20s and the suburbs offer nothing of what the city offers.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »
Don't forget horrendous taxes, crime, government corruption, unforgivably terrible public schools, traffic, crumbling infrastructure.......

Spoken like a true suburbanite.

But the big box stores and chain restaurants have so much more character, right? Yes, nothing beats Chili's on a Friday.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

As someone who attended CPS till he was 16 I can say you are probably just going off of a stereotype of how bad the schools are.  Lane Tech, Lincoln Park, North Shore Academy all can hold their own against the best of the schools in Illinois.  Horrendous crime is easily avoided by something called street smarts which you only get from living in the city.  Taxes are something that are going to happen no matter where you go.  Traffic is bad due to the people driving around commuting from the suburbs if you know your way around or use CTA you don't need to deal with it.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
Spoken like a true suburbanite.

But the big box stores and chain restaurants have so much more character, right? Yes, nothing beats Chili's on a Friday.

Hadn't even made it to this argument yet, glad you beat me to it. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Spoken like a true suburbanite

Well, now my feelings are hurt...........   :'(

Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Well, now my feelings are hurt...........   :'(

Wasn't meant to be personal, sorry if it came off that way. It just bugs me when people trash the city just because it doesn't fit their personal preferences. Like people who want to live there must be stupid for valuing different things than suburbanites. Especially when so much of it is based in stereotype. I've never once been mugged or felt threatened, get around the city just fine, don't pay for parking, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:41:02 AM by Victor McCormick »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
As someone who attended CPS till he was 16 I can say you are probably just going off of a stereotype of how bad the schools are.  Lane Tech, Lincoln Park, North Shore Academy all can hold their own against the best of the schools in Illinois.

I agree about those schools, but they are magnet schools that draw the cream of the crop of Chicago students. I know several kids that transferred from Catholic grade schools to those schools, because they were fortunate enough to get in.  What if you weren't so lucky?  Would you send a child of yours to Simeon?  And let's assume he isn't a good hoops player.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
Wasn't meant to be personal, sorry if it came off that way. It just bugs me when people trash the city just because it doesn't fit their personal preferences. Like people who want to live there must be stupid for valuing different things than suburbanites. Especially when so much of it is based in stereotype. I've never once been mugged or felt threatened, get around the city just fine, don't pay for parking, etc. etc.

Guess I should have used teal.  My skin is a little thicker than that.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
Especially when so much of it is based in stereotype. I've never once been mugged or felt threatened, get around the city just fine, don't pay for parking, etc. etc.

That's what my point was, suburban lovers seems to think that you're going to get mugged no matter where you go.  It's easy to stay away from the west side or certain areas on the south side.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
There are also social, environmental and economic costs that suburbanites incur on city dwellers in the form of subsidized home ownership, artificially cheap gasoline, interstate highways, urban sprawl, and devoured nature. City dwellers ultimately subsidize suburban living and it bugs me when those people have the gall to look down on those who choose a more economic (on a macro level, not personally economic) and environmentally efficient lifestyle.

Granted, I'll be the first to admit when I want to raise a family I'm sure I'll move out there. That probably makes me a hypocrite. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM by Victor McCormick »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
I agree about those schools, but they are magnet schools that draw the cream of the crop of Chicago students. I know several kids that transferred from Catholic grade schools to those schools, because they were fortunate enough to get in.  What if you weren't so lucky?  Would you send a child of yours to Simeon?  And let's assume he isn't a good hoops player.

Lincoln Park is a partial magnet school if you're in their area they have to accept you.  That's why when Cabrini Green was up they had some of the worst teens in the city going to school with the wealthiest city kids.  And ok so if my kids didn't get in to North Shore, Lane Tech, Lincoln Park, Walter Peyton, Jones college prep, Brooks College prep or Whitney Young then they likely weren't raised by me.  No i wouldn't send my kids to Simeon, but that's what catholic schools are for Fenwick, Loyola, St Ignatius to name a few easily accessible ones.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »

Granted, I'll be the first to admit when I want to raise a family I'm sure I'll move out there. That probably makes me a hypocrite. Oh well.

Turns out if you move to near suburbs like Oak Park or Park Ridge you are still in the city though.  Best of both worlds. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »
There are also social, environmental and economic costs that suburbanites incur on city dwellers in the form of subsidized home ownership, artificially cheap gasoline, interstate highways, urban sprawl, and devoured nature. City dwellers ultimately subsidize suburban living and it bugs me when those people have the gall to look down on those who choose a more economic (on a macro level, not personally economic) and environmentally efficient lifestyle.

I am sure it pretty much evens out once you consider the tax money suburbanites send to Springfield that winds up back in Chicago.  

But I didn't mean to start a controversy here.  Let's just agree to disagree.
Have some patience, FFS.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »

And urban centers impose negative externalities on citizens outside their boundaries, such as greater pollution, crime, state funding for failing schools, and political corruption etc. It probably comes out close to a wash (but I'm confused as to how subsidized home ownership applies only to suburbs, how urban sprawl is an externality at all and how it only impacts urban residents, and what you mean by "devoured nature")
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14