Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette University adopts vision to raise its profile  (Read 91622 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Marquette University adopts vision to raise its profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
You are not going to be able to go much further towards Downtown without running into property that would be difficult, if not impossible, for the University to purchase.  The Wisconsin Club, The Milwaukee Public Library, the Milwaukee County Complex, St. James Episcopal Church, etc.  It's pretty clear that the aim is to keep the school in a contiguous area, and you won't be able to expand to the east with that in mind.

meh, they did it with Straz Tower. I'm sure they could keep expanding east one building at a time as long as it wasn't more than two or three blocks from the next closest building.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
A number of MU medical graduates don't agree, but it isn't changing so not worth getting excited about it.  The most prestigious schools in the country often have a medical school attached to them (not all, but most)....it's a shame we had one and through a number of issues had to let it go.

I interviewed at MCW and had no idea it use to be a Marquette's medical school, what were the issues?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »
I interviewed at MCW and had no idea it use to be a Marquette's medical school, what were the issues?

I believe it was entirely financial. The 1960s were a tough time for MU financially. That's when we dropped football as well. The university was shedding programs that were losing money.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
USC (Southern CA) has a program to raise its profile.  It involves a Trustee  scholarship program.  

If you apply to USC they pick the top applicants and offer it to them,  They fly them to LA to interview for a 4 year free ride and some a partial free rides.  They keep it a secret as to how many they offer these scholarships but it is thought to be 100 to 300 per class.

This scholarship is annually renewable (so you have to keep top grades to continue getting it) and they expect the kids to participate in recruiting other top kids to USC.  The idea is to get the kids that go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford etc. to go to USC.  The goal is to have hundreds of these kids on campus (from all 4 years) to raise its academic standard, average test score and therefore the academic standing of the school.  To say it bluntly, they "buy" top kids to come to USC.

Does MU do anything like this?  If not, they should.  If they want to increase their academic profile they need top kids to go to MU.  So, if they get an application from a kid that looks like they are going to get into Harvard, they should accept them and offer them a free-ride as an enticement.

Thoughts?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »
My sister hated the campus in 2000 because it was so near the crappy neighborhoods (ironic as we grew up boarding the west side of Chicago) ended up choosing Dayton. 

She complains about the city...then ends up at Dayton??? Wow.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

No mention if she was actually admitted. Maybe FFP.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
USC (Southern CA) has a program to raise its profile.  It involves a Trustee  scholarship program. 

If you apply to USC they pick the top applicants and offer it to them,  They fly them to LA to interview for a 4 year free ride and some a partial free rides.  They keep it a secret as to how many they offer these scholarships but it is thought to be 100 to 300 per class.

This scholarship is annually renewable (so you have to keep top grades to continue getting it) and they expect the kids to participate in recruiting other top kids to USC.  The idea is to get the kids that go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford etc. to go to USC.  The goal is to have hundreds of these kids on campus (from all 4 years) to raise its academic standard, average test score and therefore the academic standing of the school.  To say it bluntly, they "buy" top kids to come to USC.

Does MU do anything like this?  If not, they should.  If they want to increase their academic profile they need top kids to go to MU.  So, if they get an application from a kid that looks like they are going to get into Harvard, they should accept them and offer them a free-ride as an enticement.

Thoughts?

Marquette has scholarship programs that offer up to full tuition scholarships.  It is very common for private schools to do so. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

Marquette has scholarship programs that offer up to full tuition scholarships.  It is very common for private schools to do so. 

How does it work?  Do you know?

It is needs based or based on academic achievement?  Do you have to apply for it separately or does the admission office pick from the applications they receive?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
How does it work?  Do you know?

It is needs based or based on academic achievement?  Do you have to apply for it separately or does the admission office pick from the applications they receive?

According to the web-site, you can get up to $14,000 per year simply by applying.  It looks like the full tuition ones are college specific and applicants are invited to apply.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
There are specific full-rides for a few different things. Some are academic, I know there is a service-oriented one as well.

The one for up to $14,000 everyone is automatically entered into

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
No mention if she was actually admitted. Maybe FFP.

She was.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
According to the web-site, you can get up to $14,000 per year simply by applying.  It looks like the full tuition ones are college specific and applicants are invited to apply.

There are specific full-rides for a few different things. Some are academic, I know there is a service-oriented one as well.

The one for up to $14,000 everyone is automatically entered into

USC is more proactive.  The admission office offers it to you based on your application.  

This is what MU needs to do.  When the admission department sees an extraordinary application, they need to offer money, personal calls, and other enticements to come to MU.  Sending a "congratulation you have been accepted" letter and then inviting them to fill-out more forms and applications is not going to cut it.  Just offer them an interview (and pay for their transportation and lodging) and if you like them, put the full court press on them.

If the admission department is not doing this now, then can ask Buzz how it is done.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »

Actually, the Dayton campus, and its huge student housing area, is quite insulated. 
Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
USC is more proactive.  The admission office offers it to you based on your application.  

This is what MU needs to do.  When the admission department sees an extraordinary application, they need to offer money, personal calls, and other enticements to come to MU.  Sending a "congratulation you have been accepted" letter and then inviting them to fill-out more forms and applications is not going to cut it.  Just offer them an interview (and pay for their transportation and lodging) and if you like them, put the full court press on them.

If the admission department is not doing this now, then can ask Buzz how it is done.

I'm not an admissions expert by any means, but like with basketball recruiting, if you go all out chasing these guys you have to weigh the costs elsewhere.  I mean, you could actually lesson your academic profile if you put all your eggs in one basket and it doesn't pan out.

I actually have a former co-worker that works for a consulting firm that specializes in this kind of stuff.  She literally flies around the country to different private schools and helps them set up scholarship programs similar to Marquette's.  I'll get in touch with her to see what the pros and cons are.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

MU calls every single accepted student. I know... I am a volunteer and do this. We answer any question the kid or parent might have and strongly encourage them to join the MU family. I called over 100 people over the past couple months.

How do you know how proactive they are or are not being?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:31:42 PM by Victor McCormick »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »
These are the only full tuition scholarships and they are very specific:

FULL-TUITION AWARDS

Burke Scholarships
Diederich Scholarship
Opus Scholars Program
Urban Scholars Program
Goal is National Championship

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
Both.

On the west side, I'd like to see them be much more aggressive and attempt to totally revitalize the area, at least to 25th street, with student housing, public spaces such as parks, fountains, monuments, etc. That property is cheap and they should go gangbusters with it, much like SLU has done.

Avenue Commons II?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
Actually, the Dayton campus, and its huge student housing area, is quite insulated. 

But you're still in Dayton. You can't hide on campus forever.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

My two kids had great ACT scores were both pretty heavily recruited by other schools - and not just by volunteers, actual staff members.  My daughter had a dedicated admissions rep at SLU who called her on a regular basis.  My son got the full-court press from Bradley.  He even got a phone call from the dean of the college he was interested in begging him to come down for a campus visit.  In contrast, Marquette showed little to no special interest in them.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »

USC automatically offers all National Merit Finalists a 50% tuition reduction. Many schools entice these students with free tuition, free books, free laptops, etc. Some of the more select universities will offer nothing based on merit. Others like Vanderbilt 5K/yr. or Northwestern 2K/yr.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
My two kids had great ACT scores were both pretty heavily recruited by other schools - and not just by volunteers, actual staff members.  My daughter had a dedicated admissions rep at SLU who called her on a regular basis.  My son got the full-court press from Bradley.  He even got a phone call from the dean of the college he was interested in begging him to come down for a campus visit.  In contrast, Marquette showed little to no special interest in them.

Our son who went to Middlebury and daughter to Columbia had both faculty from their intended major and students from those programs calling them. Local alumni were also in touch and actively available. Our kids are double Marquette legacies but never heard sh1t from anyone from MU other than form letters. I really do fault the Admissions Department. They are clueless to the fact that it is a buyer's market and aggressive marketing is essential to being competitive.

Our son who went to Wazzou had Drew Bledsoe take him to dinner at Jak's, a local steakhouse. Bledsoe came by the house and took our kid and a High School teammate who was also being recruited by the Cougs down the mountain for dinner. Not saying that sealed the deal but those two signed with Wazzou.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
Our son who went to Middlebury and daughter to Columbia had both faculty from their intended major and students from those programs calling them. Local alumni were also in touch and actively available. Our kids are double Marquette legacies but never heard sh1t from anyone from MU other than form letters. I really do fault the Admissions Department. They are clueless to the fact that it is a buyer's market and aggressive marketing is essential to being competitive.

Our son who went to Wazzou had Drew Bledsoe take him to dinner at Jak's, a local steakhouse. Bledsoe came by the house and took our kid and a High School teammate who was also being recruited by the Cougs down the mountain for dinner. Not saying that sealed the deal but those two signed with Wazzou.

Signed, as in to play or to attend?  I assume play and I assume Bledsoe isn't taking out perspective Bus. Ad majors that are thinking about attending Wazzou.  Assuming can be dangerous, however, so that's why I am asking.   He's got a pretty good winery out there, by the way.  It's not Cali wines, but I enjoyed the Doubleback when I had it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
Signed, as in to play or to attend?  I assume play and I assume Bledsoe isn't taking out perspective Bus. Ad majors that are thinking about attending Wazzou.  Assuming can be dangerous, however, so that's why I am asking.   He's got a pretty good winery out there, by the way.  It's not Cali wines, but I enjoyed the Doubleback when I had it.

Son #2 and 3 teammates from state runner-up team signed with the Cougs. He had offers from USAFA, Vandals, Sun Devils, Grizzlies, among others. They didn't win much as those were dark years in the Palouse but he certainly made life time friends. He's now in Med School at Michigan so obviously his football career ended in Pullman.

I would put Washington wines up against Cal any day. I will say my favorite overall winery is Merryvale and I am partial to the Lodi old vine zins but Washington viticulture has come into its own. The best merlot in the world is now from Walla Walla's Northstar while Novelty Hill's Sangiovese is simply stunning. I would also recommend anything from Desert Wind but their Ruah is legendary.

What would recommend from Bledsoe's winery? 

Death on call

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »

Yeah....There's irony.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »
I heard a suggestion once (from a scoop member, but I'll let him out himself), that Marquette create a small fund to loan money to new-ish grads looking to buy some of the (previously beautiful) houses around campus.

I'm sure there are a million reasons it's a bad idea, but I love it. Cleans up the neighborhood, brings what I'd expect to be stable, working adults with some disposable income and builds a community.

Won't necessarily raise the profile of the school, but certainly would take the "security" aspect down a notch.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:06:32 PM by Utile et Dulce »
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

feedback