[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University adopts vision to raise its profile  (Read 92126 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Marquette University adopts vision to raise its profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Why would MCOW want to partner with MU?

$$$

We give them money, we get prestige. It costs them nothing. They change the name (Marquette University - Medical College of Wisconsin or Medical College of Wisconsin at Marquette University, etc. etc.) Why wouldn't they want to?

I'm sure there'd be some modest integrations that would have to happen, but professional schools are largely autonomous, look at MU's dental and law school. They are completely separate silos from the rest of the university.

Honestly I think this would be easy and they should do it now before all of the rich old MU Medicine alumni die off, while they still have a fundraising base.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:35:17 PM by Victor McCormick »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
$$$

We give them money, we get prestige. It costs them nothing. Why wouldn't they want to?

Because both institutions are doing just fine on their own. 

Interesting in reading the history of MCW, than the Medical College was always a separate legal institution, but was affiliated with the University.  Is that the case with the Dental School?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »
Victor

My wife attended MCOW and from what I know they doing quite well as a stand alone facility. Not sure if the money MU could provide would be enough reason to re-brand themselves. IMO I think MU hooking up with MCOW is a pipe dream. Relationships are two way street and not sure adding MU name and some dough is needed by MCOW.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Off the medical school topic.  Would you all rather see MU become more connected with the downtown area (essentially Wisconsin ave becoming busy again) or would you rather see MU and new businesses expand west connecting the school to the rave and ambassador hotel
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
Totally random, but every time I drive downtown I wish MU could've worked with the city to make the Marquette Interchange more Marquette-ish. I know there would be some backlash of the city help a private institution but I thought some of the ramps with the Marquette logo and name on the blue and goldish paint would've added some culture to the city, looked cool, and promoted the university. Could have done the same thing to 43 by UWM to balance it out.

The structural steel is blue, for Marquette.

The concrete was stained cream, which was close enough to yellow, for Marquette and to match the entire N-S Freeway corridor color scheme.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
It's conceivable the med school could return.  As a point of contrast, 25+ years ago, local school Quinnipiac University was a tiny school and they began a long range plan to make the school known period and simultaneously expand its educational offerings, sports & stature.  In 1995, they added a law school which they bought from the University of Bridgeport (who was in a bad financial mess at the time) and beginning this September their Med School starts from scratch.  (They bought the former headquarters of BlueCross/BlueShield and converted the building.) They've made their polling institute nationally known.  In 2007, they spent $52mil to build an on-campus multi-purpose building like to the AL that's home to their basketball & hockey teams.  Lastly, they hope to build on the school's success as this year's NCAA hockey runner-up (to almost cross-town rival Yale.)  If a place like QU can do this tehn MU returning the Med School seems possible.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
Victor

My wife attended MCOW and from what I know they doing quite well as a stand alone facility. Not sure if the money MU could provide would be enough reason to re-brand themselves. IMO I think MU hooking up with MCOW is a pipe dream. Relationships are two way street and not sure adding MU name and some dough is needed by MCOW.

One thing I would like to see is for MU to partner up with MCOW to create the medical equivalent of their current Dental Scholar program.  If you are accepted as an incoming freshman into the Dental Scholar program, you basically get automatically accepted into Marquette Dental School as long as you meet certain academic criteria during your undergrad years.  SLU has a program like this, and I am sure it has attracted some very high-quality students.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
Off the medical school topic.  Would you all rather see MU become more connected with the downtown area (essentially Wisconsin ave becoming busy again) or would you rather see MU and new businesses expand west connecting the school to the rave and ambassador hotel

I'd say expand towards downtown since it's downtown. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
It's conceivable the med school could return.  As a point of contrast, 25+ years ago, local school Quinnipiac University was a tiny school and they began a long range plan to make the school known period and simultaneously expand its educational offerings, sports & stature.  In 1995, they added a law school which they bought from the University of Bridgeport (who was in a bad financial mess at the time) and beginning this September their Med School starts from scratch.  (They bought the former headquarters of BlueCross/BlueShield and converted the building.) They've made their polling institute nationally known.  In 2007, they spent $52mil to build an on-campus multi-purpose building like to the AL that's home to their basketball & hockey teams.  Lastly, they hope to build on the school's success as this year's NCAA hockey runner-up (to almost cross-town rival Yale.)  If a place like QU can do this tehn MU returning the Med School seems possible.

Sounds like the Belmont of the East!
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »

Interesting in reading the history of MCW, than the Medical College was always a separate legal institution, but was affiliated with the University.  Is that the case with the Dental School?

Nope
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »

Marquette missed the boat twice on relocating. Coulda procured the Mount Mary site in the 50's. Later on, Concordia left their State St. digs to expand and elevate on Lake Michigan in The Quon.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

Pretty sure the dental portion is what remains of the Milwaukee Medical College when MU absorbed that in its earliest days but I do know students' can receive tuition subsidies from the state.

For Consideration: While the MWC is out in tosa, there is a Hospital right on campus that might suffice. Its equally a pipe dream as any other suggestions, but at least its on campus

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
I'd say expand towards downtown since it's downtown.  

You are not going to be able to go much further towards Downtown without running into property that would be difficult, if not impossible, for the University to purchase.  The Wisconsin Club, The Milwaukee Public Library, the Milwaukee County Complex, St. James Episcopal Church, etc.  It's pretty clear that the aim is to keep the school in a contiguous area, and you won't be able to expand to the east with that in mind.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
One thing I would like to see is for MU to partner up with MCOW to create the medical equivalent of their current Dental Scholar program.  If you are accepted as an incoming freshman into the Dental Scholar program, you basically get automatically accepted into Marquette Dental School as long as you meet certain academic criteria during your undergrad years.  SLU has a program like this, and I am sure it has attracted some very high-quality students.

MCOW had that very same program years ago with UWM. It was called Target MD. Since gone the way of the buffalo. There are several issues with these types of programs. Doubtful that MCOW has any interest, what so ever, in restorin' it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
Marquette missed the boat twice on relocating. Coulda procured the Mount Mary site in the 50's. Later on, Concordia left their State St. digs to expand and elevate on Lake Michigan in The Quon.

I think Marquette's location is just fine.  I mean, why would you want it out in Mequon?  It was one thing for a small, liberal arts school that was located in a crappier neighborhood even further west of Marquette to move up there, but Marquette is an urban school....right next to downtown.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
"A strategic plan approved by the board of trustees calls for Marquette to raise its U.S. News & World Report ranking, as well as its profile for research and community involvement. The plan also calls for Marquette to leverage its brand through its nationally ranked men's basketball team and other athletic programs now part of the new Big East Conference."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »

I think Marquette's location is just fine.  I mean, why would you want it out in Mequon?  It was one thing for a small, liberal arts school that was located in a crappier neighborhood even further west of Marquette to move up there, but Marquette is an urban school....right next to downtown.

It is certainly part of our identity.  Though I do wonder how many students over the years we have lost because daddy didn't think MU was in a safe enough environment for his daughter.  Heck, even some of the guys I went to school with from up state Wisconsin had never been to Milwaukee before and they were more than a bit overwhelmed by the "big city" (that always made me chuckle).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
It is certainly part of our identity.  Though I do wonder how many students over the years we have lost because daddy didn't think MU was in a safe enough environment for his daughter.  Heck, even some of the guys I went to school with from up state Wisconsin had never been to Milwaukee before and they were more than a bit overwhelmed by the "big city" (that always made me chuckle).

I understand that.  Maybe if it were out by Mount Mary it would be better.  Although I am not sure sticking it in a residential part of Tosa is all that good either.  But I just don't think they missed the boat by not moving to Mequon.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

I'm glad this never happened, as I never would have ended up at Marquette.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »
It is certainly part of our identity.  Though I do wonder how many students over the years we have lost because daddy didn't think MU was in a safe enough environment for his daughter.  Heck, even some of the guys I went to school with from up state Wisconsin had never been to Milwaukee before and they were more than a bit overwhelmed by the "big city" (that always made me chuckle).

Agree, it's a significant part of our identity.  I think for every student that passed up on MU due to safety concerns several more have chosen it due to being within walking or a very short drive to downtown bars and restaurants, the BC, Miller Park, the lake, the beach, the Rave.  Put it in a suburban environment and you miss out on all of that and try to make a "college town" with a quarter the size of state schools to support the surrounding "town".
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:50:11 PM by chapman »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
I'm glad this never happened, as I never would have ended up at Marquette.

Same here. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
Agreed the city feel is what I really liked about the campus. If you want to hang out in a suburban type of atmosphere go to Miami (Oh)
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 02:57:27 PM »

My sister hated the campus in 2000 because it was so near the crappy neighborhoods (ironic as we grew up boarding the west side of Chicago) ended up choosing Dayton. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
To me and my family the city atmosphere adds to the experience. That said, I probably worry more about my kids due to city environment. With daughter attending next year I am sure I will be more on edge than when sons have been there.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
Off the medical school topic.  Would you all rather see MU become more connected with the downtown area (essentially Wisconsin ave becoming busy again) or would you rather see MU and new businesses expand west connecting the school to the rave and ambassador hotel

Both.

I'd love for them to strategically move further east, surgically and selectively picking up properties where it makes sense and integrating with downtown. Another high-rise student housing building would be great, I think the Catholic Knights building would be the best but not sure if its available.  I'd love to slap an MU logo on the top of it.

On the west side, I'd like to see them be much more aggressive and attempt to totally revitalize the area, at least to 25th street, with student housing, public spaces such as parks, fountains, monuments, etc. That property is cheap and they should go gangbusters with it, much like SLU has done.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:13:43 PM by Victor McCormick »

feedback