[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler jumps to bigger stage, bigger money - but, some ask, could it lose its 'w  (Read 9316 times)

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130420/SPORTS0605/304200038/Butler-jumps-bigger-stage-bigger-money-some-ask-could-lose-its-way-

"Margaret Brabant, chair of the Butler faculty senate and a political science professor, told the Washington Post the move could be “a dance with the devil."

MUfan12

• All American
A career academic has a problem with growing visibility for sports programs?

Never saw that coming.

warriorchick

• All American

"Margaret Brabant, chair of the Butler faculty senate and a political science professor, told the Washington Post the move could be “a dance with the devil."

What would you expect a female lib arts professor to say?  I am sure that if you could find any number of Marquette Profs who think that not only is Marquette dancing with the devil, we are taking him home with us, having unprotected sex, and making him breakfast the next morning.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:37:01 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

chapman

• All American
Liberal arts professors hating on big time sports teams.  Welcome to the real show, Butler.

MUMBA

• Starter
Perhaps if the posters in this thread had spent some more time listening to their liberal arts profs, they'd know what an ad hominem attack is.  ZING!

Jokes aside, there is no shortage of legit critiques of her argument that have nothing to do with her gender, her position, or what ever generalizations you have in mind for humanities professor.  I'd be curious to hear the critiques of those who feel strongly enough about it.  I could always use a counterpoint in my back pocket when this topic comes up with friends who have similar reservations about big time college athletics. 

CTWarrior

• All American
Jokes aside, there is no shortage of legit critiques of her argument that have nothing to do with her gender, her position, or what ever generalizations you have in mind for humanities professor.  

It would be difficult to critique her argument because she basically doesn't make one.  Saying sports is a deal with the devil isn't really saying anything unless you explain what you think the devil is.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

T-Bone

• All American
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

frozena pizza

• All American
Clicked on this thread expecting to read about Jimmy Butler's role in the Bulls playoff run.  Oh well.

jficke13

• All American
Clicked on this thread expecting to read about Jimmy Butler's role in the Bulls playoff run.  Oh well.

yup

Lennys Tap

• All American
It would be difficult to critique her argument because she basically doesn't make one.  Saying sports is a deal with the devil isn't really saying anything unless you explain what you think the devil is.

Maybe she thinks part of the deal with the devil is hanging with all those catholics.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Pakuni

• All American
I think anyone who takes the time to read her full quote in context wouldn't be so offended. Her comments are less about sports than how sudden growth and an influx of millions of dollars tied to sports affects the entire school.
But yeah, she's a woman, and women just don't get it. Probably a feminist Obama voter, too. Or something.

Butler officials are thrilled with the recognition and hope that the conference change — along with a lucrative television deal — will transform the university, further building its national reputation. But there also are worries about the rapid growth and what it could mean for a school that had existed in near obscurity for more than 150 years.

“I worry that it’s a dance with the devil,” said Margaret Brabant, a political science professor who is chairwoman of the Butler faculty senate. “It’s multimillions of dollars, and money changes people. And if we don’t remain vigilant and ask questions, we will go the way of other institutions.”

Many students say they were attracted by Butler’s small and quiet campus, tucked away in a historic, upscale neighborhood in north Indianapolis. Classes typically have fewer than 20 students, and most professors prioritize teaching over research. Star basketball players study, sleep and eat in the same places as non-athletes. On a recent tour, the student guide pitched Butler as being “a small campus with a big-campus feel.”

Recently, the boom in interest has caused a capacity squeeze; the number of undergraduates has grown about 8 percent in five years. The residence halls, university-run apartments and Greek houses are packed, with students sometimes living three to a room or in converted lounges. Parking is scarce. The university has struggled to staff all of its introductory courses without increasing class sizes.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-20/local/37870228_1_butler-bulldogs-butler-university-basketball-tournament

willie warrior

• All American
Liberal arts professors hating on big time sports teams.  Welcome to the real show, Butler.
Be careful, talking politics and PC is troubling.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
Maybe she thinks part of the deal with the devil is hanging with all those catholics.
That's right. The DePaul Blue Demons, the Marquette Warriors, the St. John's Redmen, the Seton Hall Pirates, and so on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Coleman

• All American
Perhaps if the posters in this thread had spent some more time listening to their liberal arts profs, they'd know what an ad hominem attack is.  ZING!

Jokes aside, there is no shortage of legit critiques of her argument that have nothing to do with her gender, her position, or what ever generalizations you have in mind for humanities professor.  I'd be curious to hear the critiques of those who feel strongly enough about it.  I could always use a counterpoint in my back pocket when this topic comes up with friends who have similar reservations about big time college athletics.  

+100000000

I agree. I vehemently disagree with her. But bringing her gender and profession into the argument is just lazy... but par for the course in today's political discourse

warriorchick

• All American
+100000000

I agree. I vehemently disagree with her. But bringing her gender and profession into the argument is just lazy... but par for the course in today's political discourse

What if they interviewed someone who was employed by the Butler athletic department instead of the school of liberal arts? Would you say that their profession was not relevant to the argument?

And I only mentioned her gender because it means she is statistically less likely to be a basketball fan.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Some of you will be labeled as "anti-education" any minute now....

MUfan12

• All American
Some of you will be labeled as "anti-education" any minute now....

Ha! Can't wait.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
I'd be more curious to know what the conservative arts representative on the faculty senate says about the move.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
I think anyone who takes the time to read her full quote in context wouldn't be so offended. Her comments are less about sports than how sudden growth and an influx of millions of dollars tied to sports affects the entire school.
But yeah, she's a woman, and women just don't get it. Probably a feminist Obama voter, too. Or something.

Butler officials are thrilled with the recognition and hope that the conference change — along with a lucrative television deal — will transform the university, further building its national reputation. But there also are worries about the rapid growth and what it could mean for a school that had existed in near obscurity for more than 150 years.

“I worry that it’s a dance with the devil,” said Margaret Brabant, a political science professor who is chairwoman of the Butler faculty senate. “It’s multimillions of dollars, and money changes people. And if we don’t remain vigilant and ask questions, we will go the way of other institutions.”

Many students say they were attracted by Butler’s small and quiet campus, tucked away in a historic, upscale neighborhood in north Indianapolis. Classes typically have fewer than 20 students, and most professors prioritize teaching over research. Star basketball players study, sleep and eat in the same places as non-athletes. On a recent tour, the student guide pitched Butler as being “a small campus with a big-campus feel.”

Recently, the boom in interest has caused a capacity squeeze; the number of undergraduates has grown about 8 percent in five years. The residence halls, university-run apartments and Greek houses are packed, with students sometimes living three to a room or in converted lounges. Parking is scarce. The university has struggled to staff all of its introductory courses without increasing class sizes.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-20/local/37870228_1_butler-bulldogs-butler-university-basketball-tournament

Athletics are a dance with the devil.

University mission statements don't include "Win lots of games and make lots of money", yet some schools have sacrificed their own reputations for that purpose. PSU, ND, Miami, Memphis, SMU, USC all to varying degrees.

Now, for some schools, it's a simple give and take, with the academic institution reaping HUGE benefits from the publicity big time athletics brings, while the hardcore "academics" have to understand that athletics are part of the deal. They can certainly coexist peacefully.

Butttttt, we also know that the more $$ that involved, the more pressure, and the more likely a school is willing to sacrifice own integrity for wins and $$.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Stick to teaching girls about the health benefits of flicking their beans.

Norm

• All American
Athletics are a dance with the devil.

University mission statements don't include "Win lots of games and make lots of money", yet some schools have sacrificed their own reputations for that purpose. PSU, ND, Miami, Memphis, SMU, USC all to varying degrees.
Look, I know ND is not popular here, but how can they be lumped in with Miami, USC, SMU and Memphis, who have all been serial violators of NCAA rules and have been on probation numerous times?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Look, I know ND is not popular here, but how can they be lumped in with Miami, USC, SMU and Memphis, who have all been serial violators of NCAA rules and have been on probation numerous times?

I actually like ND, but their handling/mishandling of several "incidents" over the past couple of years have been poor, and I attribute a lot of that to football being too important (IMHO).

Obviously not every infraction is equal.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130420/SPORTS0605/304200038/Butler-jumps-bigger-stage-bigger-money-some-ask-could-lose-its-way-

Blackhat

• All American
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:15:41 PM by Stone Cold »

feedback