[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cinco de Buzz!  (Read 11363 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Cinco de Buzz!
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:04:19 AM »
Buzz Williams was named Men's Basketball Coach five years ago today...did he pass the Chicos Five Year test?  Undoubtedly, the best hire of any coach of that year's class, including I4 and CTC. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8439.msg68535#msg68535

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Cinco de Buzz!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »
This turned out to be a fantastic hire, but when you go by the resume, it's easy to see why so many (myself included) were skeptical at the time. That's definitely a thin resume when it comes to taking a high-major coaching job.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »
This turned out to be a fantastic hire, but when you go by the resume, it's easy to see why so many (myself included) were skeptical at the time. That's definitely a thin resume when it comes to taking a high-major coaching job.
Agreed, though re-reading the initial press release in retrospect, good recruiting classes had a knack of following Buzz around.  Hard to give Buzz credit for them at the time as an assistant, but with the benefit of 5 years it is easy to suspect that he had a big hand in those successful classes.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »

At the time, a Scoop poll showed only 22% thought this was a good hire. Pretty funny. Some took longer than others to come around. Just goes to show that crowd sourcing is not always a great decision making process.  Congrats to Buzz!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
And congrats to Fr. Wild and Steve Cottingham for doing what they believed, not what boobs like me thought we should do!

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
Still not convinced. Need to see another 5
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
Btw, I didn't pull this up troll (ok...maybe a bit with Chicos but I was forced to read his 5000 posts on this over the five. . :D. ). But, incredibly, Buzz (and Ollie) are still the second youngest Old Big East coaches behind Willard.  Buzz was roughly the same age as Majerus when he took over, made mistakes like Rick, but is maturing through it all. As we read recently, and as you see behind the scenes to smooth Buzz over, major kudos to Broeker too.

As Chicos pointed out the other day, teams that have won National Championships have had long-standing coaches.  It is a key success factor.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
At the time, a Scoop poll showed only 22% thought this was a good hire. Pretty funny. Some took longer than others to come around. Just goes to show that crowd sourcing is not always a great decision making process.  Congrats to Buzz!

I liked the hire strictly because it meant continuity for the three amigos.  I had no idea what to expect long term, but liked the fact Buzz had a year to learn with that much talent on the roster.  Been quite a five year run...

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Those of us that liked the Buzz choice back in 2008, and those that did not, could never have envisioned what he has accomplished and who he has become as the Marquette head coach.

It really was a a grand slam hire, which is why so many get so worked up about Buzz leaving for any reason. His success has far exceeded anyone's expectations.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »
Feel free to judge away, Bros.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
Those of us that liked the Buzz choice back in 2008, and those that did not, could never have envisioned what he has accomplished and who he has become as the Marquette head coach.

It really was a a grand slam hire, which is why so many get so worked up about Buzz leaving for any reason. His success has far exceeded anyone's expectations.
yep - even the "I told you so"s are exaggerated. Nobody predicted this level of success, even the most optimistic among us.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
I liked the hire strictly because it meant continuity for the three amigos.  I had no idea what to expect long term, but liked the fact Buzz had a year to learn with that much talent on the roster.  Been quite a five year run...

Totally agree. Overall I was pretty neutral about the hire. There were a lot of unknowns but the fact that it kept Jerel, Wes and Dominic in place felt like a prudent move and helped the continuity of the program.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
I was pretty neutral on the hire as well.  proud to say I was in the "give him a chance" camp...and he's done great for MU these past 5 years.

Keep building it up Buzz!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »
Still not convinced. Need to see another 5
better make it 10... 15 years just to be safe

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »

And when you "go by the resume" Bob Dukiet or Mike Deane is probably the best hire MU has made in the last 50 years. Buzz would be at the bottom and Al wouldn't be far ahead of him. Resumes are very reliable if you're looking for a lathe operator, but they don't capture the "it" factor that great leaders have. Thanks to Steve Cottingham and Fr Wild for recognizing it in Buzz. They could have taken the safe, CYA route and made a hire that could have been defended if it failed. They didn't. Marquette owes them a great deal for their courage and good judgement.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
And when you "go by the resume" Bob Dukiet or Mike Deane is probably the best hire MU has made in the last 50 years.

no
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
no

Dukiet had 271 wins as a head coach, 135 in D1 (with a .678 winning pct.). Deane was 167-77 in 8 years at Sienna, with a trip to the NCAAs and a third place in the NIT on his résumé. How many D1 wins for Buzz, Crean, KO, Rick, Hank and Al before MU hired them?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
I was completely against the hire and process. Have no problem saying I was completely wrong and very thankful Buzz is our guy. I am hoping for five more years of action from him and will enjoy the ride. He has studs playing next year and most excited for a season then I have been in years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
I did a 5 Year Pomeroy Average using some Blackheart Math.  MU (and Buzz) rank #16 just behind some lofty names.  Missouri is the only school with a newer coach....and their KPom scores were driven by Anderson more than Haith.  A lot of national championships and F4's among these teams during this time.  Continuity counts!  Buzz is on the cusp.

Team    5 Year Avg
Kansas      0.948
Duke         0.938
Ohio St.     0.936
Syracuse    0.936
Louisville     0.923
Wisconsin   0.922
Michigan St.  0.914
Kentucky       0.902
Missouri         0.900
North Carolina  0.900
Florida              0.897
Pittsburgh       0.896
Georgetown      0.895
Gonzaga             0.891
Marquette        0.886

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
Dukiet had 271 wins as a head coach, 135 in D1 (with a .678 winning pct.). Deane was 167-77 in 8 years at Sienna, with a trip to the NCAAs and a third place in the NIT on his résumé. How many D1 wins for Buzz, Crean, KO, Rick, Hank and Al before MU hired them?

Is it better to be a head coach at a smaller school or an assistant at a larger school?  Of our last five coaches, the most three successful have been those who were primarily assistants at larger schools...and the two least successful have come via the smaller school route.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
Buzz Williams was named Men's Basketball Coach five years ago today...did he pass the Chicos Five Year test?  Undoubtedly, the best hire of any coach of that year's class, including I4 and CTC. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8439.msg68535#msg68535

At some point on this board I would hope I'm actually quoted correctly on the 5 year stuff, I'm happy to provide countless links to assist.  Yup, I thought we could have waited another few weeks to get Buzz, Buzz wasn't going anywhere.  It all worked out.  I'm very happy, he was my COY candidate the last two years.

On the 5 years comment, what did I actually say?   Hmmm. I wonder.   ::)  I said I would FULLY judge a coach after 5 years, but during those years also said constantly "so far so good" many times.  I never said you don't make a judgement until after 5 years and then suddenly at the end of the 5th year you make your final judgment.  For some reason what I actually said is never quoted...weird. Strange.  SHOCKING  :D 

To each their own, I'll stick to 5 years for my compass to FULLY judge a coach.  Mike Deane, after three years...two NCAAs, a NIT runner up.  Fired year 5.  Bruiser Flint, first two years NCAA tournament...fired year five.  Etc.  In my view, a coach needs five years because you have to go through one full recruiting cycle where his recruits become seniors.  Seems only common sense, you are free to evaluate a coach on any parameter you wish, just as I am free to use my tenure belief.  I just wish, good Doctor and others, that you would actually get the quote correct and not imply I said something I didn't say or leave very important parts out of it.  Context is everything. 

Peace

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »

Agreed. I definitely was in the "pro" Buzz crowd, but never came close to saying it was a slam dunk.

I did think then - as I do now - that the people whining about "the process" were silly and wrong.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
FULL JUDGMENT....funny, even back in April 2009    ;D  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14672.msg133962#msg133962

According to the search, I said "so far so good" with Buzz more than 100+ different posts (stopped counting)....with many of them also saying I hope he succeeds and is here for many years, even decades.  It cracks me up how many people here just make stuff up or don't bother to get their facts straight.

Bring back BMA!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
FULL JUDGMENT....funny, even back in April 2009    ;D  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14672.msg133962#msg133962

According to the search, I said "so far so good" with Buzz more than 100+ different posts (stopped counting)....with many of them also saying I hope he succeeds and is here for many years, even decades.  It cracks me up how many people here just make stuff up or don't bother to get their facts straight.

Bring back BMA!

Why didn't you include this in the previous post? Or just edited your post to Dr B. to add the link since you are repeating what you just said? 

Or is that how you said "so far so good" 100+ times, by just repeating yourself?

(winky face) (Big smiley face) (Eye roll face)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt