Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN  (Read 12518 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
Nice article on our outlook for next season

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/9077065/marquette-golden-eagles-lose-add-means
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recruit and return: Marquette

Who the Golden Eagles lose, who they add and what it means for next season

Updated: March 30, 2013, 6:47 PM ET
By Adam Finkelstein | ESPN RecruitingNation

Sixty-eight teams made the NCAA tournament, but each of them knows that if it wants to return, it needs to recruit well. As teams are eliminated, RecruitingNation is looking at what each squad is losing, what kind of recruiting class it is bringing in and what that means for its hopes of making it back to the Big Dance. Here is a look at Marquette.

Possible 2013-14 starting five:
 G: Duane Wilson
 G: Vander Blue
 F: Juan Anderson
 F: Jamil Wilson
 C: Davante Gardner

Who it loses: While Marquette graduates three starters in Junior Cadougan, Trent Lockett and Chris Otule, the Golden Eagles should still return quite a bit of firepower, including their top three scorers in Vander Blue, Davante Gardner and Jamil Wilson. Of course, the overall statistical contributions of the three departing seniors don't effectively relay their total value. All three guys, but especially Cadougan and Lockett, provided critical leadership and consistent reinforcement of the principles that Buzz Williams preaches on a daily basis, while Otule was also the team's premier shot-blocking threat in the paint. Consequently, the gaps left to fill will be in less tangible categories like leadership, toughness and defense.

Who it adds: Williams has a deep and talented recruiting class coming in next season with four players out of the high school ranks and a fifth recruit from junior college. JaJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton and Duane Wilson provide the backcourt of the future with a trio of ESPN 100 prospects. Johnson is the best of the bunch, and the uniquely talented 6-foot-5 swingman is still just scratching the surface of his potential. Burton is versatile enough to play either forward position because of his strength and athleticism. Both Wilson and John Dawson are equally versatile in the backcourt, capable of playing either on or off the ball, which will give Williams plenty of flexibility in the future. Juco transfer Jameel McKay will provide some added depth to the frontline.

What it means for next season: Gardner and Jamil Wilson were both models of efficiency this year, consistently scoring and rebounding in relatively limited minutes. Expect both players to see more minutes next season. Juan Anderson is another player who should see more minutes a year from now, despite starting most games this season. With Gardner at the five, Jamil Wilson and Anderson returning at the forward spots and Blue returning in the backcourt, the biggest question is who will win the other starting guard spot. Todd Mayo is arguably the most talented option, but he might be best utilized to provide a scoring punch off the bench. Rising junior Derrick Wilson and incoming freshman Duane Wilson are the best options if Williams chooses to go with a true point guard.

Trending: Up. Marquette will miss the intangibles of the departing seniors, but with the top three scorers returning and a trio of ESPN 100 recruits coming in, the Eagles should be just fine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:59:31 PM by MUFanatic4Life »

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
Nice article, but I can't see Anderson starting next season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Give Anderson a full summer to work out in the weight room and in the gym, and you never know.  Remember he had to sit out most of last summer due to his surgery.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »

He also neglected the fact that Otule may return next year with another year of eligibility.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »

Why not.  He can play 90 seconds, then sit the rest of the half. 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
Otule deserves to make some money playing ball. His services will likely fetch him some decent money overseas. He has been here a long time, and with as injury prone as he has proven, he probably would be best off not risking injury during a final run with Marquette. For all those reasons, I think he goes.

If he stays, however, we will be very, very tough. His presence is a game changer, along with Gardner. Selfishly, I'd love for him to stick around. Leadership and size on the interior, with new influx of athleticism and this could be a dangerous team.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Over the course of the next 2 years Juan will be one of our most important players. His vision, length and energy are all unique. Some of the passes he made were absolute beauties and after he adds some strength, gains some confidence and consistency in his shot, and gets more minutes to work his game out at this level - he'll be a great player.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
Otule deserves to make some money playing ball. His services will likely fetch him some decent money overseas. He has been here a long time, and with as injury prone as he has proven, he probably would be best off not risking injury during a final run with Marquette. For all those reasons, I think he goes.

If he stays, however, we will be very, very tough. His presence is a game changer, along with Gardner. Selfishly, I'd love for him to stick around. Leadership and size on the interior, with new influx of athleticism and this could be a dangerous team.

I also selfishly would like him to stay. Gardner would be fine but Otule is taller, faster, more athletic and better defensively. We wouldn't have a player over 6'8 or 6'9 without him. He would be vital to a F4 run IMO.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

We discussed this in a post a month or so go ... The average NBDL salary is 24k/year.  Unsure he could make a NBDL team.  He would be lucky to make even this overseas.  He would get paid more getting a "real job."

Now if he returned and made it a season without injury, and played like he did he last 10 games, he can make a lot more as a basketball player next year.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:53:40 PM by AnotherMU84 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
Starting doesn't mean much to me.  But in terms of starting pr playig a ton of minutes, I'd be absolutely shocked if Steve Taylor didn't start/blow by several people on the depth chart next year.  Biggest jump is often times Frosh to Soph year.  I expect much biger things from a talent like Steve Taylor next year.  He will be a beast.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
I also selfishly would like him to stay. Gardner would be fine but Otule is taller, faster, more athletic and better defensively. We wouldn't have a player over 6'8 or 6'9 without him. He would be vital to a F4 run IMO.

McKay, Taylor are/were all listed at 6' 8" at one point or another.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
We discussed this in a post a month or so go ... The average NBDL salary is 24k/year.  Unsure he could make a NBDL team.  He would be lucky to make even this overseas.  He would get paid more getting a "real job."

Now if he returned and made it a season without injury, and played like he did he last 10 games, he can make a lot more as a basketball player next year.

Haha, no.  He would have PLENTY of options overseas, and I would not be surprised at all if he made 6 digits or around there for a few years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
McKay, Taylor are/were all listed at 6' 8" at one point or another.

Yes, I can count Taylor, McKay, Jamil and Gardner as being 6'8 or 6'9. Gardner is the only center out of those, and he's really more like a power forward. Not sure if we could win a lot of opening tips with Gardner at C. Would be a disadvantage going against teams that have 2 or 3 guys at 6'10 or taller.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
Haha, no.  He would have PLENTY of options overseas, and I would not be surprised at all if he made 6 digits or around there for a few years.

Sigh ... here we go again with the misinformation.

It was detailed here ...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=36202.msg453076#msg453076

Bottom line.  Average US salary playing in Europe is $65k.  Average player was someone that has years of professional experience and was probably a late round NBA draft.

Only three rookies in the top two French leagues last year, all were drafted and elected to play overseas (see DJO).  Third division pays 1500 euros a month.  Unsure he could even make the third division.

Otule makes more selling insurance than trying to play in Europe.  Only way that changes is if he gets draft in June.  Have you seen his name on any draft boards?

Come back play 30 games next year like the last 10 and show you can make a season without injury.  Try to get drafted.  Then do like DJO and go overseas to make about $65k/year.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:10:47 PM by AnotherMU84 »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
Sigh ... here we go again with the misinformation.

It was detailed here ...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=36202.msg453076#msg453076

Bottom line.  Average US salary playing in Europe is $65k.  Average player was someone that has years of professional experience and was probably a late round NBA draft.

Only three rookies in the top two French leagues last year, all were drafted and elected to play overseas (see DJO).  Third division pays 1500 euros a month.  Unsure he could even make the third division.

Otule makes more selling insurance than trying to play in Europe.  Only way that changes is if he gets draft in June.  Have you seen his name on any draft boards?

Come back play 30 games next year like the last 10 and show you can make a season without injury.  Try to get drafted.  Then do like DJO and go overseas to make about $65k/year.

This is a really interesting proposition. Just reviewed the previous thread you linked and you seem to have some good information there.

I suppose the decision becomes tougher for Otule if he can't guarantee decent money going the professional route.

Either way, back to the inent of the original post, if Otule comes back we definitely gain a major boost.

connie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
Nice summary.  Wonder why we still have no information about CO's plans?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
Nice summary.  Wonder why we still have no information about CO's plans?

Did you expect anything about this before the season ended?  I did not.  The season has been over for only 24 hours.  I expect something in the next several weeks.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »
I would like to see Chris be back next year. Although Vander made a quantitative jump, I really thought CO was the most improved player compared to what he showed in the past. If there's any untapped upside, he could be quite a force next year.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
I would like to see Chris be back next year. Although Vander made a quantitative jump, I really thought CO was the most improved player compared to what he showed in the past. If there's any untapped upside, he could be quite a force next year.

Even if he doesn't have any more room to develop I'd still want him back. If he does improve his skills then I'd still want him back.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
Over the course of the next 2 years Juan will be one of our most important players. His vision, length and energy are all unique. Some of the passes he made were absolute beauties and after he adds some strength, gains some confidence and consistency in his shot, and gets more minutes to work his game out at this level - he'll be a great player.

Couldn't agree more
If he can develop a shot, he already has the pump fake that everyone bites on he will be a force on offense

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »

Jeez, we go from one extreme to another.  A bunch say he is never going to progress...a bunch say he'll be a "great player" and is "unique."  The truth probably lies in the middle.  He will develop into a solid player if he puts in the work.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
He also neglected the fact that Otule may return next year with another year of eligibility.

You are right, MUFanatic. Neglecting to mention this as even a possibility shows a lack of basic reporting skills.

Nothing to see here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
While I would probably start Duane Wilson over Derrick, what would that say about Buzz's comments earlier in the season that Derrick probably deserved to start but Junior was the incumbent... wouldn't Derrick be the incumbent next year over a frosh?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
While I would probably start Duane Wilson over Derrick, what would that say about Buzz's comments earlier in the season that Derrick probably deserved to start but Junior was the incumbent... wouldn't Derrick be the incumbent next year over a frosh?

Yes, he will most likely start. But we have seen what starting for buzz means. Duane could come in 3 minutes into the game. Derrick will start but as long as duane is as good as advertised he will most likely close.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »
Starting doesn't mean much to me.  But in terms of starting pr playig a ton of minutes, I'd be absolutely shocked if Steve Taylor didn't start/blow by several people on the depth chart next year.  Biggest jump is often times Frosh to Soph year.  I expect much biger things from a talent like Steve Taylor next year.  He will be a beast.

ESPN may not be Taylor's favorite sports outlet anyway. For most of this season, the ESPN box score listed him as "Steve, Jr." with a position of "NA".
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback