Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN  (Read 12525 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruit and Return: Marquette - ESPN
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
While I would probably start Duane Wilson over Derrick, what would that say about Buzz's comments earlier in the season that Derrick probably deserved to start but Junior was the incumbent... wouldn't Derrick be the incumbent next year over a frosh?

Knowing how loyal Buzz is, it's almost unfathomable that Derrick won't at least start the season as the No. 1 PG.

Doesn't mean Derrick won't get pulled after 3 minutes if he's not playing well. Buzz also has proven he's not afraid to do that.

I'm hoping like heck that the hype about Duane proves accurate, because we need a better PG than Derrick playing starter minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
Knowing how loyal Buzz is, it's almost unfathomable that Derrick won't at least start the season as the No. 1 PG.

Doesn't mean Derrick won't get pulled after 3 minutes if he's not playing well. Buzz also has proven he's not afraid to do that.

I'm hoping like heck that the hype about Duane proves accurate, because we need a better PG than Derrick playing starter minutes.

I'll take a point guard who locks down the other team's point guard, turns the other team's point guard over, and doesn't turn the ball over ever even if he doesn't look to score at all (he'll do more of that next year) over a point guard who can score some but is a defensive liability and turns the ball over. I can't wait to see Derrick prove all the Scoopers wrong next year. Like Buzz said after we beat Butler (and he was absolutely right), Derrick Wilson was the reason we were still playing after 2 NCAA Tournament games. It was no coincidence that we made a little run at Syracuse to end the first half with Derrick Wilson in the game. Most importantly, Carter Williams wasn't able to do whatever he wanted with Wilson in. Wish Wilson would've gotten more minutes in the second half. Defense first. Love the kid. Tough as nails.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »
I agree that Derrick is one tough player, but you can not play O"Tule and Anderson with Derrick as all 3 have major deficiencies so I do not see all 3 playing together that often.  Wilson
Duane will get a crack to play as he is offensive as is Johnson and even Burton, Anderson needs to improve big time next year.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:45:25 PM by BCHoopster »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
I agree that Derrick is one tough player, but you can not play O"Tule and Anderson with Derrick as all 3 have major deficinecies

Very true. To me, the jury is still out on whether Wilson can score. That wasn't his role this year. He knew his role and played it to a tee. Next year if he is the starting point guard his offensive role will change. Yet to be seen if he's up to the challenge.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »
Whoever works the hardest in the off season will win the job, but after watching Wilson dunk with either hand, shot the 3 and pass to Stone, he is really talented.  Not sure Derrick has
it him as well as he is short, Duane is like 6' 2" or 3", great athlete, Derrick is not.  You can tell what he brings to the table, defensively he has game, but he is not a great driver to the
hoop or has not shown the ability to pass the ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
I'll take a point guard who locks down the other team's point guard, turns the other team's point guard over, and doesn't turn the ball over ever even if he doesn't look to score at all (he'll do more of that next year) over a point guard who can score some but is a defensive liability and turns the ball over. I can't wait to see Derrick prove all the Scoopers wrong next year. Like Buzz said after we beat Butler (and he was absolutely right), Derrick Wilson was the reason we were still playing after 2 NCAA Tournament games. It was no coincidence that we made a little run at Syracuse to end the first half with Derrick Wilson in the game. Most importantly, Carter Williams wasn't able to do whatever he wanted with Wilson in. Wish Wilson would've gotten more minutes in the second half. Defense first. Love the kid. Tough as nails.

I like your optimism and hope he proves you right next year.

I don't see it, but I've been wrong plenty. Including when I said this team would only win 9 Big East games. I LOVE being proved wrong in these situations!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
Like always practices and the weight room will determine minutes.

Jameel will play a big role as will Steve.

Duane, if he has good control of the O and D, will back up Derrick, who really frustrates me because he has very little offense (defense just slack off him).

I foresee the possibility of John being Jamal next year.

Deonte will get 6th or 7th man minutes.

Most of all, I'd like to see Todd thanked for his contributions and released (sorry).
SS Marquette

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »
I really hope Otule returns. He'd be the only true center and I believe Gardner's minutes will still be less than 30mpg. I can also see Gardner getting the go ahead from Buzz to shoot the 3 freely. He won't beat anyone off the dribble but he's a pure shooter. Taylor is definitely a starter most of the season. The rest of the new recruits will have to earn their minutes based upon the practices and their defensive skills. Wilson and Blue get 36 minutes, Gardner 25-30 depending on conditioning. Taylor at least 20.

That doesn't leave a ton of time for the rest of the squad. Competition will be fierce and our offense will have many more options. It'll also be nice not watching Junior getting beat time and again off the dribble. Buzz has more choices than ever and I trust him and his staff will do a quality job figuring out who and when everyone egts the nod.
Players win awards but teams win championships

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:52 AM »
Yes, he will most likely start. But we have seen what starting for buzz means. Duane could come in 3 minutes into the game. Derrick will start but as long as duane is as good as advertised he will most likely close.

As as far as the jury being out on Derrick Wilson on the offensive end, I think the jury is clearly out on Duane Wilson on both sides of the floor.  We are making the same types of assumptions, and putting the same types of expectations, on Duane that we have for a bunch of our freshmen previously.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
Anyone else worried that after next year it seems like we will be "center-less" again?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
Anyone else worried that after next year it seems like we will be "center-less" again?

Buzz might be the best Juco recruiter in the nation.  Look for him to sign a Juco that can bridge the gap between Gardner/Otule and Diamond Stone.

How's that for optimism!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
Gardner is the only center out of those, and he's really more like a power forward. Not sure if we could win a lot of opening tips with Gardner at C.

I expect that if no Otule, Jamil Wilson be be taking the opening jump for most games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »
I think Jameel McKay is going to be playing a lot of post if Otule isn't back.  And I think he is the number one option there in 2014 regardless of who we recruit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
I think Jameel McKay is going to be playing a lot of post if Otule isn't back.  And I think he is the number one option there in 2014 regardless of who we recruit.

Sultan - what are you hearing about his game? His numbers look very good, but is he really only 195 lbs.?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
Sultan - what are you hearing about his game? His numbers look very good, but is he really only 195 lbs.?

I haven't heard much other than what has been reported here.  He is very lengthy, with a nice vertical and a gifted rebounder.  (10 rpg last year.)  However my understanding is that his offensive game has been generally limited to the inside.  He was 0-5 last year from 3.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »

The PR fro MU and Buzz is really at its highest right now, I am sure he can get into a few houses this upcoming year with a great story about MU, but more importantly he can tell
a big man he might start as a freshman.  I am sure he will find somebody.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »

As as far as the jury being out on Derrick Wilson on the offensive end, I think the jury is clearly out on Duane Wilson on both sides of the floor.  We are making the same types of assumptions, and putting the same types of expectations, on Duane that we have for a bunch of our freshmen previously.

Very true.  Good point.  I have been very vocal about my excitement for Duane but I have also been very vocal (in past threads) about how different Big East basketball is from Division 4 WIAA basketball (or even the highest high school AAU basketball).  After watching the Marquette vs. Syrcause game on Saturday and then going to the Bucks vs. Thunder game that night, the difference between an "open" shot in college and an "open" shot in the NBA is huge, and how much bigger and more physical the game is in the NBA.  A "contested" shot in college is a wide open shot in the pros.  I have a feeling the difference is just as big from high school to college.  It's a different game, and freshman often times take a year to really find their way in college basketabll.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

I just assume that most kids (regardless of what they are ranked) will be role players for their first year or 2.

Go back and read how excited everybody was for Jamail Jones. Same for Juan. Same for Vander. Same for Steve Taylor Jr. Same for Todd Mayo. 

Guess what? Those kids were all role players for 2 years (taylor TBD), and that's just fine.

Guys like Dominic, Jerel and Wes are exceptions to the rule.

If you expect instant results, you're ultimately going to be disappointed in 8/10 players that step on campus which is a tough way live (for me anyways).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »

Agree totally, Sultan. All I ever say is that I hope Duane can meet the hype, because we really could use a PG who can ... um ... what's the word I'm looking for? ... oh yeah ...

Shoot!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Agree totally, Sultan. All I ever say is that I hope Duane can meet the hype, because we really could use a PG who can ... um ... what's the word I'm looking for? ... oh yeah ...
Shoot!

I think we can get away with a PG who isn't a great shooter.  What we lacked this year was a great shooter from ANY position.  We need a shooter on next year's team.

As far as PG,  I think what we need Derrick to do is shoot free throws well (he needs to improve immensely in this area) and occassionaly hit a mid-range shot to keep the defenses honest, ala Cadougan.  If he can do that we will be okay.

This year he wasn't good at either so he has got some work to do in the off-season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I just assume that most kids (regardless of what they are ranked) will be role players for their first year or 2.

Go back and read how excited everybody was for Jamail Jones. Same for Juan. Same for Vander. Same for Steve Taylor Jr. Same for Todd Mayo. 

Guess what? Those kids were all role players for 2 years (taylor TBD), and that's just fine.

Guys like Dominic, Jerel and Wes are exceptions to the rule.

In reality, only Dominic was ready to play a leading role as a freshman. Jerel and Wesley should have been role players but we didn't have anybody else.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
In reality, only Dominic was ready to play a leading role as a freshman. Jerel and Wesley should have been role players but we didn't have anybody else.

Great point.  I liked Jerel but no way would Buzz have him starting on any of his teams when McNeal was a freshmen.  A key guy off the bench, but no way starting.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
Derrick was a pretty good offensive player in High School. Wonder if Buzz wanted him to develop his defensive skills as a frosh/soph. Hopefully he can work on his offensive and distributing skills over the summer. Buzz saw something in this kid, maybe he will blossom like Vander has in his junior year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »

I kind of agree, but look at Wes and Jerel's numbers. That's still REALLY impressive for a frosh.

I think ST2 could have put up similar numbers as a frosh, but I can't really think of another one that could. Vander played a lot of minutes and didn't do it. Gardner didn't do it. Mayo didn't do it, and if he was that effective, he could have stolen more of Vander's minutes. Guys have had chances to be more than role players, but they just aren't ready.

The only guys that were even similar are DJO and Jae, and they were not true frosh. their first year on campus.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/23-wesley-matthews

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/jerel-mcneal

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Derrick, Vander, Wilson, McKay, free Steve would be an awesome defensive/ scary athletic line up.  I could see them ripping people's arms off on loose balls