Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Awesome Fandom Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)  (Read 6125 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:07:55 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

sarcastro

• Starter
  • Live Comedy. Dead Serious.
    • Coalition Theater
Re: Awesome Fan Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Is that us in the uppermost part of Michigan?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Wow, the state really does bleed badger red, huh?  Effing gross.

jesmu84

• All American
I'm surprised at how much more UNC there is than Duke

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
Honestly not surprised. It's hard for small private schools to win over entire counties against successful state schools. Especially given that students come from all around (besides the 80% from the Chicago area - but then again that same area feeds into Loyola Chicago, Notre Dame, Illinois, and gobs of other Illinois universities).

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
Is that us in the uppermost part of Michigan?

You mean the horn of Minnesota? 

The patches in the UP seem to be nondescript grey - which probably means no data.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
I'm surprised at how much more UNC there is than Duke

Outside of Duke alumni, and with many of their students coming from outside the area, no one in North Carolina really likes Duke.

warriorchick

• All American

Outside of Duke alumni, and with many of their students coming from outside the area, no one in North Carolina really likes Duke.

I was going to guess that it was similar to the Wisconsin/Marquette relationship.  Public school representing entire state trumps private school.
Have some patience, FFS.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

The patches in the UP seem to be nondescript grey - which probably means no data.

Marquette MI? The facebook data isn't screened apparently for being relevant to basketball.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:20:23 PM by AWegrzyn17 »
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
Why isn't there a colorless void around Dayton OH? I thought the Flyers owned that market.

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Awesome Fandom Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
Wow! A lot of Carolina fans in northern Alaska!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

I was going to guess that it was similar to the Wisconsin/Marquette relationship.  Public school representing entire state trumps private school.

Actually very surprised at least the central portion of the state isn't State red.  Go anywhere besides the UNC campus and the locals are all State fans.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
Wow, the state really does bleed badger red, huh?  Effing gross.

Yeah, but there is more people in the counties we penetrate than the whole rest of the state combined.

Well, almost!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
Im actually surprised we had the Southeast part of the state very happy about that!!  

What is so weird is that the midwestern states all cheer for the big state school more than anywhere else!!
I wonder why that is?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Im actually surprised we had the Southeast part of the state very happy about that!!  

What is so weird is that the midwestern states all cheer for the big state school more than anywhere else!!
I wonder why that is?

No domer love in Indiana, not even a spec; and I thought they had a great following.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:11:50 PM by muwarrior69 »

JD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
Honestly not surprised. It's hard for small private schools to win over entire counties against successful state schools. Especially given that students come from all around (besides the 80% from the Chicago area - but then again that same area feeds into Loyola Chicago, Notre Dame, Illinois, and gobs of other Illinois universities).

So.... Why would wisconsin fans be so abundant?  Wisconsin is hardly successful.  One elite eight since WW2.  Yaaay!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
So.... Why would wisconsin fans be so abundant?  Wisconsin is hardly successful.  One elite eight since WW2.  Yaaay!

Because as a general rule, people who don't have an affinity with a private school (alum, family member alum, religion, etc.) aren't private college fans unless they live  close by - and maybe not even then.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »

Two....one in their Final Four year and the other where they lost to UNC in Ryan's first (??) year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
From the article ....

Out of the 68-team bracket, only 17 schools had zero counties support them. Just five of these teams were 12-seeds or better:
California (12),
Belmont (11),
Temple (9),
Notre Dame (7), and
Saint Louis (4).

The Fighting Irish and the Owls get a pass, since I would have been shocked to see any county in Indiana go against the Hooisers, and Villanova is clearly the fan favorite of the greater Philadelphia area. Belmont and Saint Louis are mid-majors.

That leaves Cal as the most baffling: the prestigious public university didn’t manage to snag even one of the eight counties that make up the Bay Area.

One went to also-local Saint Mary’s, six went to Kansas, Duke, or UNC, and San Francisco, for some reason, went to Michigan.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
From the article ....

Out of the 68-team bracket, only 17 schools had zero counties support them. Just five of these teams were 12-seeds or better:
California (12),
Belmont (11),
Temple (9),
Notre Dame (7), and
Saint Louis (4).

The Fighting Irish and the Owls get a pass, since I would have been shocked to see any county in Indiana go against the Hooisers, and Villanova is clearly the fan favorite of the greater Philadelphia area. Belmont and Saint Louis are mid-majors.

That leaves Cal as the most baffling: the prestigious public university didn’t manage to snag even one of the eight counties that make up the Bay Area.

One went to also-local Saint Mary’s, six went to Kansas, Duke, or UNC, and San Francisco, for some reason, went to Michigan.

Harbaugh.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
Actually very surprised at least the central portion of the state isn't State red.  Go anywhere besides the UNC campus and the locals are all State fans.

State fans are still using Myspace.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

It looks like the Arrowhead of MN (Cook County) and the far NW county in MN (Kittson County) are Marquette fans.  Hard to believe but then again maybe I am color blind.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »

I believe those nondescript grey areas represent the parts of the UP that have not yet been wired for internet access...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
I believe those nondescript grey areas represent the parts of the UP that have not yet been wired for internet access...

Apparently no one on Hughesnet has a twitter account....
Have some patience, FFS.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »

I have been snowmobiling in those areas for years and believe me they have had wireless for at least 8 years.  Maybe they are not on Facebook.

feedback