Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Awesome Fandom Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)  (Read 6126 times)

JD

• All American
Re: Awesome Fandom Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
Because as a general rule, people who don't have an affinity with a private school (alum, family member alum, religion, etc.) aren't private college fans unless they live  close by - and maybe not even then.

Yes...I understand why.  I bolded the part where it said "Successful state school"  I guess success is in the eyes of the beholders
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Yes...I understand why.  I bolded the part where it said "Successful state school"  I guess success is in the eyes of the beholders

They are successful this year.  Who would be tweeting about the team's performance from 1959?
Have some patience, FFS.

JD

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
They are successful this year.  Who would be tweeting about the team's performance from 1959?

One FF since WW2, and one national championship in 1941 when there was all of 8 teams playing is hardly success in my eyes.  To each their own.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
Texas is an absolute mess. :D

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Honestly not surprised. It's hard for small private schools to win over entire counties against successful state schools. Especially given that students come from all around (besides the 80% from the Chicago area - but then again that same area feeds into Loyola Chicago, Notre Dame, Illinois, and gobs of other Illinois universities).

Is the number really that high?  I've always wondered how many MU kids come from IL.  80% seems high, but honestly it wouldn't shock me

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
Is the number really that high?  I've always wondered how many MU kids come from IL.  80% seems high, but honestly it wouldn't shock me

Current stats for Marquette are roughly 1/3 from Wisconsin, 1/3 Chicagoland, and 1/3 everywhere else.

And 2011 was the first year in the school's history that Chicago-area freshmen outnumbered those from Wisconsin.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
Current stats for Marquette are roughly 1/3 from Wisconsin, 1/3 Chicagoland, and 1/3 everywhere else.

And 2011 was the first year in the school's history that Chicago-area freshmen outnumbered those from Wisconsin.

That surprises me. When I first showed up at MU it seemed everyone was from Chicago. I came from DC and we had a healthy number from the NCR but certainly Chicagoans predominated by far. Perhaps it's because my sample was the freshmen in McCormick, O'Donnell, Cobeen and did not include the commuters.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Awesome Fan Map of the NCAA Tournament (we own southeast Wisconsin!)
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
It looks like the Arrowhead of MN (Cook County) and the far NW county in MN (Kittson County) are Marquette fans.  Hard to believe but then again maybe I am color blind.

Cook co. Is due to the Musech family.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »
That surprises me. When I first showed up at MU it seemed everyone was from Chicago. I came from DC and we had a healthy number from the NCR but certainly Chicagoans predominated by far. Perhaps it's because my sample was the freshmen in McCormick, O'Donnell, Cobeen and did not include the commuters.

When I went to MU in the '80's it was 25% commuter students.  Now it is less than 10%.  The big difference is that now even the Milwaukee kids want to live on campus.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
One FF since WW2, and one national championship in 1941 when there was all of 8 teams playing is hardly success in my eyes.  To each their own.

15 straight NCAA tournament appearances, several Big Ten titles, a number of Sweet 16's, an Elite 8, FF.  It's a what have you done for me lately world.