[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199941 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
This season seems somewhat less focused to me.   Before, they had the densely written source material.  This year, they have the cliff's notes outlines.    Maybe because I know it, I am looking for it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
If it makes you feel better about Shireen, the idea to torch her came from Martin, who apparently told Weiss and Benioff that'll be her fate in the next book. As brutal as the scene was, I completely disagree with the complaint that it was for the sake of "keeping it interesting." To the contrary, it was essential to the character arc of Stannis, who we shouldn't forget not only is not a good guy, but someone who has burned people and sacrificed family before for the sake of his ambition.

The show character, at least.  The book character is all about his duty.  The total botch of the character has been the biggest miss in adaptation, IMO. 

Last week might have been the biggest hit; Hardhome didn't involve Jon and was only briefly mentioned as happening elsewhere in the book.  They went right on location and got an awesome sequence out of it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »
The show character, at least.  The book character is all about his duty.  The total botch of the character has been the biggest miss in adaptation, IMO.

Sense of duty. Ambition. Is there much difference here? Stannis believes it's his destiny (and what's best for the Seven Kingdoms) that he become king, and he'll make any sacrifice - even ones that are personally painful - to achieve it. I think what happened in last night's episode just took that character trait to its logical extreme.
There are some obvious religious overtones to all that as well, no?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
This season seems somewhat less focused to me.   Before, they had the densely written source material.  This year, they have the cliff's notes outlines.    Maybe because I know it, I am looking for it.

They may be doing a cliffs notes version, but we are still at least a couple seasons away from them running out of source material.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
I haven't read one word in one of the books, and I probably won't.

I am enjoying the show immensely despite the uncomfortable moments that have been discussed in this thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
Yea. Night's King > Dragon rider. The princess burning was absolutely coming since stannis left the wall, but it was still pretty terrible.

Cbb - I think I recall you're a big fan of the show. Why the change?

I feel like it is becoming too reliant on special effects, CGI and eye candy....less on the story and character development.  Just my two cents.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
I'm lukewarm on this season. There are a lot of things I don't like. Last night's sacrifice of Shireen was certainly up there. I also didn't like the twist with Ramsey tormenting Sansa. Totally unnecessary twist. I mean...we know from the whole Reek thing that Ramsey is an awful human being. We also know that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey. Having her endure that again while reinforcing that Ramsey is awful is just unnecessary.

Sure, there have been some good moments this season, but there have also been some spectacular low points and not in a good way. This is why I didn't like it when they started deviating from the books in Season 2. I get it, a lot of people read the books and you want to spice it up for them, but GRRM is bloody enough with his main characters. You don't need to further kill/abuse/torture characters, especially ones like Shireen (one of the few innocents and already tormented by Greyscale) and Sansa (already been through this ringer before), just for the sake of "keeping it interesting."

I hate to be one of "those people" because I get creative license, but they are quite literally abusing it this season.

To be fair, I am pretty sure Ramsay tortured "Sansa" in the books as well, just turns out it wasn't really Sansa. So, it was kind of a confluence of two story lines into one, and they had to decide if it was going to follow more Ramsay or Sansa

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2015, 07:08:33 AM »
To be fair, I am pretty sure Ramsay tortured "Sansa" in the books as well, just turns out it wasn't really Sansa. So, it was kind of a confluence of two story lines into one, and they had to decide if it was going to follow more Ramsay or Sansa

Fake Arya in the books, but yeah. One problem with GRRM is that he has no problem ignoring a character for ages, but on TV they always want their main characters present.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »
There seems to be a lot more "tut-tut"ing about the show that has popped up this year. Shireen is just the latest example, but there was the Sansa rape episode before that.

It's like people forget that the very first episode had several beheadings, brother-sister incest, and the defenestration of a child.

"Game of Thrones" = Awful things happen to pretty much everyone
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
There seems to be a lot more "tut-tut"ing about the show that has popped up this year. Shireen is just the latest example, but there was the Sansa rape episode before that.

It's like people forget that the very first episode had several beheadings, brother-sister incest, and the defenestration of a child.

And there really isn't anyone to root for, as they are all going to do the expedient and then probably die. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
Who do you guys support for their claim to the throne? And what happened to the two stark boys? That story kinda disappeared.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
Who do you guys support for their claim to the throne? And what happened to the two stark boys? That story kinda disappeared.

Bran and Rickon will return in season 6.

Nobody is really worthy of the throne, except perhaps Tyrion and Jon, neither of whom are claiming it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »

I certainly got the vibe that the threat of the White walkers are going to be a unifying force for the disparate groups.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »

Nobody is really worthy of the throne, except perhaps Tyrion and Jon, neither of whom are claiming it.

I agree about who's worthy but neither of them have a legit claim to it.  Daenarys and stannis have the most legit claims, I guess if robert's bastard is still alive he has one to. I'd like to see Jon on the throne but doubt that happens. 

I think the Dragons clash with the white walkers the whole fire vs ice thing as a war. Somehow I think Jon and Daenarys end up together. It just seems like something that'd happen while fighting the walkers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
I agree about who's worthy but neither of them have a legit claim to it.  Daenarys and stannis have the most legit claims, I guess if robert's bastard is still alive he has one to. I'd like to see Jon on the throne but doubt that happens. 

I think the Dragons clash with the white walkers the whole fire vs ice thing as a war. Somehow I think Jon and Daenarys end up together. It just seems like something that'd happen while fighting the walkers.

There's a pretty good, credible theory out there for why Jon has a very legitimate claim to it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
There's a pretty good, credible theory out there for why Jon has a very legitimate claim to it.

Yeah I think a buddy mentioned it to me once but it was after a few rounds so I can't recall it. It's based off the idea that his mother was robert's sister right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Yeah I think a buddy mentioned it to me once but it was after a few rounds so I can't recall it. It's based off the idea that his mother was robert's sister right?

No.
It's based on who might be his real father (not Ned) and mother.
I'd rather not detail any more, in case anyone doesn't (or doesn't want to) know, but you can find it out there in the interwebs pretty easily.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
No.
It's based on who might be his real father (not Ned) and mother.
I'd rather not detail any more, in case anyone doesn't (or doesn't want to) know, but you can find it out there in the interwebs pretty easily.

Gotcha. Thanks I'll search for it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

chapman

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »
Who do you guys support for their claim to the throne?

Him, because of:

But he will never sit the throne, which I am also fine with.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »

Wow Henry...good word.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
I'm lukewarm on this season. There are a lot of things I don't like. Last night's sacrifice of Shireen was certainly up there. I also didn't like the twist with Ramsey tormenting Sansa. Totally unnecessary twist. I mean...we know from the whole Reek thing that Ramsey is an awful human being. We also know that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey. Having her endure that again while reinforcing that Ramsey is awful is just unnecessary.

Sure, there have been some good moments this season, but there have also been some spectacular low points and not in a good way. This is why I didn't like it when they started deviating from the books in Season 2. I get it, a lot of people read the books and you want to spice it up for them, but GRRM is bloody enough with his main characters. You don't need to further kill/abuse/torture characters, especially ones like Shireen (one of the few innocents and already tormented by Greyscale) and Sansa (already been through this ringer before), just for the sake of "keeping it interesting."

I hate to be one of "those people" because I get creative license, but they are quite literally abusing it this season.

I feel like it is becoming too reliant on special effects, CGI and eye candy....less on the story and character development.  Just my two cents.

Think this article does a pretty good job of echoing your feelings:

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/8/8748255/game-of-thrones-shocking-moments

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Bran is going to get inside the mind of one of the dragons, and things are going to go DOWN. You'll forget he was missing for a whole season. Not a spoiler, just a hunch.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
They went out of their way to let us know that Valyrian steel swords can take down white walkers. Curious to see how that develops. Is there enough Valyrian steel out there to equip a small army?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
Well I think I finally have an hunch how this Game of Thrones will end on HBO. In the final scene of the last episode there will be total silence with the Dark King sitting on the Iron Throne to rule all the dead.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
This is pretty brilliant in case anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabsgCQhpu4