[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199870 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #1200 on: May 19, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
Didn't much care for it. Jon's ending was cute with Tormund being there.

Finally Ghost gets love
Maigh Eo for Sam

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1201 on: May 19, 2019, 10:44:22 PM »
Wouldn’t surprise me if that Jon Snow/Ghost reunion was filmed in the last week after all the back lash.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
Didn't much care for it. Jon's ending was cute with Tormund being there.

Finally Ghost gets love

I figured that would be Jon's ending, going North of the wall with the Free-folk. I figured Arya would look for what is West of Westeros, and that Sansa would be a queen somewhere.

Bran being King doesn't make any sense, unless he is actually the true "evil".

My big complaint is that everything was still so forced and contrived to get to the ending. They needed at least two seasons to do this in any way that made sense.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1203 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:24 PM »
I’m done with this show, this episode just ended it for me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1204 on: May 19, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Wouldn’t surprise me if that Jon Snow/Ghost reunion was filmed in the last week after all the back lash.

Nope
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
From a Bears fan friend:

I feel the exact same way I did after the double doink

I'm a Bears fan and your friend is an idiot.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
I’m done with this show, this episode just ended it for me.

Well it was the series finale.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:41 PM »
this weeks summary without context

Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1208 on: May 19, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »
Questions on the finale.

Why did the unsullied and Dothraki let Jon and Tyrion live for what appears to be months, before the lords and ladies of Westeros arrive? They killed their leader, so they just wait for the allies to show up? They would have executed both of them within minutes of realizing what happened.

Related. How did they know Jon killed Dany? Drogon ran off with the body.

Why did the other leaders just agree to let the North be its own kingdom? The Greyjoys and Dorne were fine with it, and didn't want independent Kingdoms for themselves? Yara goes from wanting Jon's head, because he killed Dany, to being ok following a Stark and letting the Starks have an independent Kingdom?

No one wants Jon to go to the Wall. But they can't just let him go wherever? The Unsullied and Dothraki left Westeros, why would Jon have to do anything?

The other big head-scratcher. Bran has repeatedly said, he doesn't want anything. He doesn't want any titles, nothing to do with the present or future. Then he says in this episode, he made the entire journey to be King. So everything he did was done to be King of the Seven Kingdoms? The only way to take that, is that Bran was the ultimate evil. Orchestrating all of this so that he could be King. After all, he and the other 3-eyed raven were the ones meddling with everything.

My guesses:

I think it was maybe a week or two, not months. I'd guess Jon surrendered and confessed. Grey Worm is smart enough to know that without Drogon, Jon & Tyrion were his only real bargaining chips.

I think because the North is huge & everyone was done with war. Besides, 6+1 kingdoms ruled by Starks isn't that different from 7 kingdoms ruled by a Stark.

Jon is noble. He might not have to follow that dictate, but he's a man of his word.

I think Bran made the journey not because he wanted the crown but because he knew he had to take it. He likely didn't see another successor that would satisfy everyone & knew Tyrion would consider him. I didn't see that as evil at all. I think Bran is truly removed from such mortal constructs as good and evil.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1209 on: May 19, 2019, 11:46:14 PM »
My thoughts...blah. That could not have felt more anticlimactic. Everyone morose after the battle, Jon kills Dany, reform the kingdom, world returned to status quo. Few deaths, little excitement, no shadow of a future threat. Was hoping for some flash of blue eyes, or rumors of a threat from the East, or Drogon menacingly riding on the air, but instead, nothing. I feel like that episode was just something that happened. No emotion, no excitement, just "here you go, that's the end of the show, lock the door on your way out."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: May 20, 2019, 12:44:13 AM »
Tyrion said he had been in his cell two months.     I think.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: May 20, 2019, 06:54:04 AM »
Whoever guessed here months ago that Sam and Tyrion would start a democracy, so close, and yet so so so far.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1212 on: May 20, 2019, 07:15:09 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »
My thoughts...blah. That could not have felt more anticlimactic. Everyone morose after the battle, Jon kills Dany, reform the kingdom, world returned to status quo. Few deaths, little excitement, no shadow of a future threat. Was hoping for some flash of blue eyes, or rumors of a threat from the East, or Drogon menacingly riding on the air, but instead, nothing. I feel like that episode was just something that happened. No emotion, no excitement, just "here you go, that's the end of the show, lock the door on your way out."

I think this best sums up my feelings as well. Few things that don't make sense to me as well but this is about what I feel.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: May 20, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
Like most people I thought the episode started well and then devolved badly.  So we're letting a prisoner who was there for sentencing lead the discussion on how the next king is to be selected?  We go from shut up you're not here to talk to him talking endlessly in about a minute?  He hasn't made a good decision in about 3 seasons which should be apparent to everyone one involved.  Worst part is that he talks everyone into having as the new king someone who has literally done nothing to make anyone think he could be a good king.  Can he lead?  Can he administer?  Can he inspire? Can he plan?  Can he freaking talk to other people or make any decision of any kind?  Nobody knows.  The only argument against him is that he can't have children?  It is akin to making a very knowledgeable historian king.  Though repeatedly denying he wants anything he happily accepts the job like he has wanted it all along but even the one scene they show after he is king leads you to believe he has no interest in being king.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: May 20, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
My guesses:

I think it was maybe a week or two, not months. I'd guess Jon surrendered and confessed. Grey Worm is smart enough to know that without Drogon, Jon & Tyrion were his only real bargaining chips.

I think because the North is huge & everyone was done with war. Besides, 6+1 kingdoms ruled by Starks isn't that different from 7 kingdoms ruled by a Stark.

Jon is noble. He might not have to follow that dictate, but he's a man of his word.

I think Bran made the journey not because he wanted the crown but because he knew he had to take it. He likely didn't see another successor that would satisfy everyone & knew Tyrion would consider him. I didn't see that as evil at all. I think Bran is truly removed from such mortal constructs as good and evil.

Largely agree with all of this.

And this.

I have mostly defended the show this season from those who say it has "sucked" because I have been entertained and because I still regard it as TV -- good TV, but TV nonetheless, with its limits and warts and rush to wrap up everything in a neat bow. But I wanted something more out of this episode -- a little more action, a little less talk (especially from Tyrion, a character I like a lot), some kind of foreboding sign, etc.

As for the entire season, I very much enjoyed episodes 2 and 5, was entertained by 3 and 4 despite their many plot holes, understood the need to use 1 to set up everything and was at least mildly disappointed with the finale. As is almost always the case with long-running TV series, its final season wasn't as good as earlier seasons. It was still good TV and occasionally very good TV but not great TV. I give it a solid B and am glad I watched it. All IMHO of course.

BTW, I'm a huge, huge, huge Veep fan -- JLD is one of the great comedic actors/actresses of our lifetime, and the show often was insanely funny. Many, many times, I had to pause and rewind because I was laughing so hard that I missed the next rapid-fire joke. However, I didn't think this final season was as strong as its predecessors. That's TV. It happens.

To me, the gold standard for series finales remains Six Feet Under. Great episode, capped by an absolutely perfect closing sequence. Mary Tyler Moore was way up there, too, and probably some others I'm not remembering right off the top of my head.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
No one wants Jon to go to the Wall. But they can't just let him go wherever? The Unsullied and Dothraki left Westeros, why would Jon have to do anything?

My take was that the Unsullied and Dothraki needed justice for Jon killing Dany.  Given the dispute on whether that was "good or bad", they sold Greyworm on sending Jon to Castle Black for the Night's Watch, historically the most severe punishment short of death.  Greyworm accepted that.  But Sansa and company knew that the Night's Watch was no more, so it was really just giving Jon a free pass to rejoin the Wildlings, where he wanted to be and Greyworm didn't know that bit of info.

Episode for me was eh.  Started very good, the cinematography was fantastic.  The soldiers lined up, the murmur for Dany to appear.  The shot of Dany with Drogon unfurling behind her was INCREDIBLE. Top 5 shot in the entire series.  But following her death, it went off the rails for me.

The melting of the Iron Throne was corny and overwrought metaphor.  The democracy proposition and joke laughter was dumb.  Everything just turning into a cute happy ending for basically everyone was so anti-GoT.

I saw a post last night saying GoT became legendary by being a fantasy series that subverted classic fantasy tropes...then ended with a story and finale that played right into those tropes.

D&D put the bow on being tremendous book adapters and mediocre original story creators.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: May 20, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »
Lame ending to a lame season.

Shows' final seasons are often not as good, this is true. But this was a dramatic decline. It went from an A+ series in seasons 1-7 to a D- final season.

I'm not just trolling. I was a huge, huge fan of this series, and it did so many things so well for so long. That made this season all the more frustrating. Anyone who has paid even a small amount of attention to this series knows it is true.

They clearly got sloppy...Starbucks cups, water bottles, etc. The Double D's just phoned in this season.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:53:09 AM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: May 20, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »

The melting of the Iron Throne was corny and overwrought metaphor.  The democracy proposition and joke laughter was dumb.  Everything just turning into a cute happy ending for basically everyone was so anti-GoT.

As the dragon melted the throne, I turned to my wife and said, "Really?"

Also agree on the way-over-the-top democracy play.

I was glad there was no true cliffhanger -- or something totally idiotic like the way Sopranos ended -- but as brew said, there needed to be a little foreboding of something darker.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: May 20, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
Lame ending to a lame season.

Shows' final seasons are often not as good, this is true. But this was a dramatic decline. It went from an A+ series in seasons 1-7 to a D- final season.

I'm not just trolling. I was a huge, huge fan of this series, and it did so many things so well for so long. That made this season all the more frustrating. Anyone who has paid even a small amount of attention to this series knows it is true.

They clearly got sloppy...Starbucks cups, water bottles, etc. The Double D's just phoned in this season.

Honestly, season 7 was not nearly as good as people remember it being. Especially in retrospect. Definitely, had its moments but I think that was the first step of the dramatic decline
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: May 20, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
Honestly, season 7 was not nearly as good as people remember it being. Especially in retrospect. Definitely, had its moments but I think that was the first step of the dramatic decline

No argument. Season 7 was definitely the beginning of the decline. It just was not as pronounced. That was probably a B+ season.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: May 20, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
S1 - A
S2 - B+
S3 - A+
S4  - A
S5 - C
S6 - B
S7 - D
S8 - D-

That ending was an ending.  That's it.  Rushed, sloppy, nonsensical... and Kit was absolutely right, disappointing.

Can't wait for the books... Though, I will have to.

My watch continues.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: May 20, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »
So I have come to terms with what the last season was.   It was good entertainment that I enjoyed, but it no longer had enough depth for me to desire to dissect and discuss it. 

I'm taking in the scenes for what they are, and I can fill in the plot holes easily enough myself.  However, debating those and trying to help others make sense of it all doesn't appeal as much in this abbreviated style.

Ultimately, I'm walking away satisfied.  I appreciate the years of entertainment I got from it.  I hope the spin offs are equal to the standards of the first 6 seasons, but I'm not holding out hope. 

I too hope the books are going to be finished so I can get my desired complexities from it for the ending.  However, in that regard too, I'm not holding out hope.

Thanks for the memories D&D!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: May 20, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
Still better than the final season of The Wire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: May 20, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
Lots of great shows (GoT, The Wire) struggled to wrap things up with a good final season. I had my issues with Breaking Bad's ending at the time but I've grown to appreciate how cleanly it wrapped up.