collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199417 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2019, 11:48:23 PM »
Forgetful's theory also sounds very similar to the plot of the Mass Effect Video Game Trilogy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #801 on: April 26, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
I've never seen this show and probably never will, but I did see some chick post on instagram about it this week and that was pretty cool. #HopHopHop
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #802 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »

Not today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:28:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #803 on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
We'll, that is an ass kicking.   I am going  have to go to Endgame just to cheer up.

Not today.

Hmm....not sure about this episode. 

It was so dark and difficult to see what was going on much of the time.  Seemed a little to easy there at the end after the complete ass kicking for 99% of the episode.

I will be curious to see what the fans think.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:32:51 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #804 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »
I understand why it took 5 weeks to shoot.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #805 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
Was great when the Dothrakis went in and only the horses returned.  Outstanding.  After that, cinematography was way, way, too dark.  They made the lens as if it was frozen with arrival of Night King force and distracted from the battle scenes.  Especially the dragons going after each other, I was clueless of what was going on. 

Least I got it right Arya gets the King.  Was she hiding in the tree? 

Limited deaths of characters, sort of surprised.

Both dragons live? 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #806 on: April 28, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
Was great when the Dothrakis went in and only the horses returned.  Outstanding.  After that, cinematography was way, way, too dark.  They made the lens as if it was frozen with arrival of Night King force and distracted from the battle scenes.  Especially the dragons going after each other, I was clueless of what was going on. 

Least I got it right Arya gets the King.  Was she hiding in the tree? 

Limited deaths of characters, sort of surprised.

Both dragons live?

Yeah, HBO getting ripped pretty good for the cinematography right now on social media.  Not sure who died, couldn’t see a lot of it.  May have to rewatch.

Great question on the dragons. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #807 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »
In the preview for next week it looked like there were 2 dragons.
Bring back FFP!!!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2019, 09:49:24 PM »
https://uproxx.com/tv/game-of-thrones-too-dark-battle-of-winterfell/

That didn't take long.  Internet going absolutely berserk. 

Yes the preview, which I could actually see, showed two. 

nyg

• All American

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #810 on: April 28, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
Yeah, HBO getting ripped pretty good for the cinematography right now on social media.  Not sure who died, couldn’t see a lot of it.  May have to rewatch.

Great question on the dragons.

Rewatched the ending. Clear who is still alive and who is dead (except 1, I think I know, but not certain). Surprised how many got out of it safely. The cinematography was too dark. Would have been fine in a theatre, but most peoples home TVs would have difficulty contrast wise to make it clear  what is going on.

Overall I thought it was a pretty great episode. I think it went with one of the simpler overall endings (regarding the Night King). I don't think the books simplify it that much, but for the show it was one of the more consistent endings.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: April 28, 2019, 10:09:05 PM »
Yep, it was dark, but that was OK with me. It magnified the terror, the predicament, the mood. Even in the few scenes where I couldn't quite tell who was who, it didn't change the feeling I had watching it. Literally, on the edge of my seat.

I thought Arya would kill the Night King with her weapon, and was wrong about that ... but glad I got the "who" right. (I immediately rewound it to get another look at exactly how it happened. He got her to drop the knife, but she caught it with her other hand and stabbed that m-f'er!) One could say, "Oh, wasn't that convenient?" But we all knew that the Night King wasn't going to win. I mean, there are still 3 episodes left! I thought Arya doing it was pretty cool.

I was happy to see many of the more crazy theories espoused all over the interwebs not come true. I also was happy to see most of my favorite characters live on. And, as my wife noted, women ended being the biggest heroes -- Arya, Lady Mormont and, surprisingly for me, Melisandre.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends against Cersei's army. Maybe Arya gets her, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #812 on: April 28, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
Yep, it was dark, but that was OK with me. It magnified the terror, the predicament, the mood. Even in the few scenes where I couldn't quite tell who was who, it didn't change the feeling I had watching it. Literally, on the edge of my seat.

I thought Arya would kill the Night King with her weapon, and was wrong about that ... but glad I got the "who" right. (I immediately rewound it to get another look at exactly how it happened. He got her to drop the knife, but she caught it with her other hand and stabbed that m-f'er!) One could say, "Oh, wasn't that convenient?" But we all knew that the Night King wasn't going to win. I mean, there are still 3 episodes left! I thought Arya doing it was pretty cool.

I was happy to see many of the more crazy theories espoused all over the interwebs not come true. I also was happy to see most of my favorite characters live on. And, as my wife noted, women ended being the biggest heroes -- Arya, Lady Mormont and, surprisingly for me, Melisandre.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends against Cersei's army. Maybe Arya gets her, too!

Agreed on nearly all fronts. The only thing is that the ending for the Night King, lacked meaning. We don't know his real goal, who created him, etc.

I think there are two reasons for that. The explanations are rooted in magic, which is ample in the books, but the show has shied away from a lot of the magic, and prophecy. It wouldn't make sense to introduce a lot of the magic/prophecy that is present in the books, at this last minute and still have it make sense.

Also, one of the prequel series rumored to be being planned by HBO revolves around the age of heroes, the Starks and the creation of the Night King.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #813 on: April 28, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »
Bran: I am going to go now

Theon : Where? 

That was just nuts.  The look on Theon’s face as he single handling the attack, protecting him.  Most of us would have said, WTF are you talking about.

On to Knights Landing now.  Two dragons, not looking good for Cersai.  Who kills her, Tyrion, Jamie or Arya, one of them for sure.  Tyrion killed father, so I go with Jamie. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #814 on: April 28, 2019, 10:23:51 PM »
Agreed on nearly all fronts. The only thing is that the ending for the Night King, lacked meaning. We don't know his real goal, who created him, etc.

I think there are two reasons for that. The explanations are rooted in magic, which is ample in the books, but the show has shied away from a lot of the magic, and prophecy. It wouldn't make sense to introduce a lot of the magic/prophecy that is present in the books, at this last minute and still have it make sense.

Also, one of the prequel series rumored to be being planned by HBO revolves around the age of heroes, the Starks and the creation of the Night King.

The show runners would almost certainly have to nod at a lot of what you’re saying. But holy crap was this inexplicably bad storytelling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #815 on: April 28, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
But holy crap was this inexplicably bad storytelling.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because while I was watching it I wasn't thinking, "This is inexplicably bad storytelling."

I'm pretty sure I'll watch it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #816 on: April 28, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
I'm happy the directors had Arya kill the Night King.

Story arc wise it made the most sense. She was supposed to be a mythical battle warrior (Nymeria), spent her life training to kill people she came across that perceivably wronged her (the Red Witch, the Hound, Beric), those people were part of her training, and saved her/directed her towards her real mission.

The Catspaw dagger, Chekov's gun, that should be instrumental to the entire show. Meant to kill Bran, at the order of Littlefinger...saves Bran/kills Littlefinger.

I had feared the writers would go with the generic, Jon vs. Night King, script. Last season seemed to always go the generic route.

Glad they went with a route that was really set in motion in season 1.

Personally, I would have preferred two seasons. Season 8, unveiling the mystery of the Night King and ending with this battle (episode 9) and setting up season 9, the battle for the throne.

Season 9, final battle for Westeros.

I think that timeline would have allowed more evolution of the Night King story, and introduction of myth, magic, and legends. That all will end up in the spinoff.

That said, a lot of that is because of the books. The show has taken a different arc. Very good arc, and thoroughly enjoy it. I just have to remember to enjoy each in their own, and isolate them from each other.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #817 on: April 28, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »
How does she get past the wights to pull of the assassination?  I have no problem with her as the killer, but the how part seemed cheap and unsatisfyingly easy. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #818 on: April 28, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
How does she get past the wights to pull of the assassination?  I have no problem with her as the killer, but the how part seemed cheap and unsatisfyingly easy.

The easy answer is they are controlled by the night king and his attention was focused solely on Bran. But that was my biggest issue with the episode as well.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #819 on: April 28, 2019, 11:21:14 PM »

Night King security like airport security.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #820 on: April 28, 2019, 11:28:44 PM »

According to an earlier episode, the Night King was created by the Children of the Forest for protection from the arrival of the first men to Westeros.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #821 on: April 28, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »

100%

This episode missed the mark on so much.  Sure, the battle was epic, and the pacing was good, and the music was the best part... but the actual story?  Cheap, lame, lazy writing.  I don't need people to die to make it good, but I also enjoy this show because it doesn't rely on hollywood tropes.  But holy christ was this just the opposite.  Deus Ex Machina, Mothership, and fan service abounded.  So many story lines left to dangle, no reason to wrap many of them up... so many plot holes... ugh.

I just hope that GRRM lives long enough to finish the books because he certainly has a road map on how NOT to do it.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #822 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
According to an earlier episode, the Night King was created by the Children of the Forest for protection from the arrival of the first men to Westeros.

+1

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #823 on: April 28, 2019, 11:32:51 PM »

A couple different ways. She knows her way around the castle. The books have Bran in the first couple chapters explaining how one that can climb can get anywhere without anyone knowing. Arya also knows the castle that well.

Now in the final scene. It's actually kind of simple. GRRM emphasizes that the characters always make the wrong decision. The Night King, being prideful, needed to be the one to kill Bran. He had all his focus on Bran, so they had to focus there too (he controls them). His pride, led to his death. He could have just let the wights kill them all...but he had to be the one to do it, and it cost him his life.

Now in the end. I don't think any of this reflects the real Night King story. I think this will end up being a "the victors get to tell the story" type of thing. We will find out that the real story regarding the Night King and his goals are much much different. But we have to watch a whole new HBO series to find all that out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #824 on: April 28, 2019, 11:40:31 PM »
A couple different ways. She knows her way around the castle. The books have Bran in the first couple chapters explaining how one that can climb can get anywhere without anyone knowing. Arya also knows the castle that well.

Now in the final scene. It's actually kind of simple. GRRM emphasizes that the characters always make the wrong decision. The Night King, being prideful, needed to be the one to kill Bran. He had all his focus on Bran, so they had to focus there too (he controls them). His pride, led to his death. He could have just let the wights kill them all...but he had to be the one to do it, and it cost him his life.

Now in the end. I don't think any of this reflects the real Night King story. I think this will end up being a "the victors get to tell the story" type of thing. We will find out that the real story regarding the Night King and his goals are much much different. But we have to watch a whole new HBO series to find all that out.

In the books, there is no Night King as we know him in the show.  He was a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch from thousands of years ago.  He wasn't the first White Walker either.