[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199194 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #775 on: April 22, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
One other question, as a non-watcher but a very aware pop culture person.....I know Maise Williams is 22, but what age is her character supposed to be? That makes a big difference to me whether someone should freak out or not.

18, HBO tweeted out a subtle reminder a few hours beforehand. stating "by the time you're 18 in westeros you should have..." and the list was all things Arya had done.

Meh, a stron female character decided she wasn't going to die a virgin.   Over thinking this.

Not overthinking, as a character I'd be saying the same thing, just weird as a viewer when two days before I was rewatching the first episode. It was a very quick uncomfortable jump from 11yr old her to 22yr old her.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #776 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
Sorry at the length of this... I just want to make my new prediction internet permanent so I can go back after the show and brag about how right I was (or hide the thread forever if I'm totally off base).

First, my thoughts on the episode though.

I don’t think any of this is spoilery, but don’t read if you’re extremely cautious.

As much as episode one was a reset for the season and putting the pieces in place, this one was all about connecting people who’ve long been due to connect, closure, and starting to wrap up old storylines.  Arya/Gendry, the Mormonts, Ghost showing up again (barely), Theon/Sansa, Bran/Jamie, Arya/Hound, Brienne, Podrick becoming quite the figher to name a few.  Not to mention beginning to address Jon’s parentage.   

Overall, it really was a great “calm before the storm” feeling to the entire episode.  They really all gave that sense of finality, that everyone expects to die.  I liked the little light hearted moment when Tyrion said he thought he was going to live and they all chuckled.  It was fun in the moment and after a sense of palpable dread feeling the whole time it gave me a shot of hope that some of them really will.   

I still do not think Arya kills the Night King, but she is for sure going to do something very badass.  I also think she dies a horrible death too but she’s going to be badass about her death too and welcome it like an old friend.

Also, does anyone else think the plan is kinda weak?  Theon and his men are all that’s going to stand in the way?   I think not.  There will be more to that part.   Perhaps this is where Arya will shine. 

Even deeper spoilery stuff below.  This are just my own guesses, but has minor spoilers from last nights episode:

Final rough guess at what happens… 

Big battle obviously will happen.  Theon and his men are no match for Night King a few of the others and maybe a small group of undead coming for Bran.  Arya comes in as a badass killing a bunch of the others.

Arya kills the ice dragon.   Night King kills her.

Someone with a Valyrian Steel sword tries attacking the Night King, perhaps Jorah w/ Heartsbane (I guess this because they really focused on the sword when Sam gave it to him) in order to save Daenarys that is hurt after a dragon fight between her/Drogon vs Night King/Ice Dragon.  Jorah dies, the sword is taken by the Night King and kills Daenarys with it through the heart.  Danny’s soul or whatever is imbued onto the sword when Jon pulls it out of her.

Arya kills the ice dragon.   Night King kills her.

Jon kills the Night King with the nValyrian steel sword.   This would fulfill several prophesies and connects a lot of clues such as Rhaegars son being the Prince that was Promised, the flaming sword of Azhor Azai (that was thrust through his wife’s heart), and the Last Hero (who was the original leader and founder of the Nights watch).   All three of those I think are the same person written about in different histories across the world.  Jon is the only one that fits the bill for all of them.

After that Jon wraps up taking the iron throne.  Jamie, who sees his true love die (Brienne, not Cercei!) will be the one to kill his sister.  Aegon Targaryen takes the throne.   Perhaps a dragon survives, but probably not… Dragons and the Night king are forever gone from the world and a new age is born.

The only problem with this is that because of prophecies from the warlocks in Quarth and other stuff, I always thought Daenarys would take the throne.  Perhaps she does indeed live and her and Jon rule together?   Seems not to be Martin's style.

I think it is more likely Jon dies than Dany. He will give up his throne for her again.

I think Jorah, the Hound, Gendry, and Arya all live.

Now random guess of a scene. The Night King is approaching Bran to kill him. Theon shoots an arrow throw his heart from behind (just like he save Bran in season 1 from the willings). But Dragonglass can't kill the Night King (he was made with Dragonglass through the heart).

Theon is killed shortly thereafter, with people looking on in shock.

Lightbringer will be needed to kill him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #777 on: April 22, 2019, 09:34:14 PM »
Meh, a strong female character decided she wasn't going to die a virgin.   Over thinking this.

That's where I am on it, too.

Arya is a total bad-arse. I didn't think to be even a little uncomfortable about the scene. It made sense to me, especially after the way she flirted with Gendry the previous week.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #778 on: April 22, 2019, 09:52:35 PM »
That's where I am on it, too.

Arya is a total bad-arse. I didn't think to be even a little uncomfortable about the scene. It made sense to me, especially after the way she flirted with Gendry the previous week.

And the line "I'm not the red woman, take your own damn pants off" was 100% bad-arse and in character.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #779 on: April 22, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »
And the line "I'm not the red woman, take your own damn pants off" was 100% bad-arse and in character.

Literally laughed out loud.

If Arya isn't my favorite GOT character, she's in my top 3!

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #780 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Literally laughed out loud.

If Arya isn't my favorite GOT character, she's in my top 3!

Let's hear who the top 3 are!  Personally I would say Jaime Lannister is my favorite.  His character and personality have changed so much from season 1 it's hard to believe it's the same person.  I think he is one of the truly good people left and his series of unfortunate events throughout his captivity probably molded him this way.  Wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in killing Cersei.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #781 on: April 23, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
Let's hear who the top 3 are!  Personally I would say Jaime Lannister is my favorite.  His character and personality have changed so much from season 1 it's hard to believe it's the same person.  I think he is one of the truly good people left and his series of unfortunate events throughout his captivity probably molded him this way.  Wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in killing Cersei.

Never thought about who my top 3 are. But when I read this the there that came to mind were.

Arya
Brienne
Tyrion

Sad that it is a legitimate chance all three die in the next episode.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #782 on: April 23, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
Never thought about who my top 3 are. But when I read this the there that came to mind were.

Arya
Brienne
Tyrion

Sad that it is a legitimate chance all three die in the next episode.

I'd be shocked if Tyrion and Arya die in the upcoming episode.  But knowing GoT it's a definite possibility. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #783 on: April 23, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »

Well he certainly can't have more than one hand in it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #784 on: April 23, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
Anyone think Tyrion betrays Dany/Jon and becomes an antagonist? That has been my running theory for about 2 seasons but it might be too late to pull that off.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #785 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
Anyone think Tyrion betrays Dany/Jon and becomes an antagonist? That has been my running theory for about 2 seasons but it might be too late to pull that off.

I think it'll be another accident. They seem to be setting up this whole one mistake after another thing. Doubt he's truly clever enough anymore to betray them on purpose
Maigh Eo for Sam

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #786 on: April 23, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
Well he certainly can't have more than one hand in it.

Lol well played.  I guess you're right.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #787 on: April 23, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »

Naw.  Higher chance that Dany and Jon die in the fight and Tyrion and Sam refound the Seven Kingdoms as a Democratic Republic.

lmao

MU82

• All American
« Reply #788 on: April 23, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »

Well, that's tough. Different categories, perhaps.

I mean, I LOVE the evilness of the likes of Ramsay, Cersei and Walder Frey, but I don't "love" them, if you know what I mean.

Arya and Brienne are two characters I both like and admire, and both Margaery and her grandmother were a lot of fun (and well-acted) for most of their time on the screen. I have enjoyed every single exchange between Tyrion and Varys. Like them, Bronn has been fortunate to receive so many good, funny lines from the writers. And it's hard not to like Jaime, and I've really enjoyed him breaking from Cersei. Plenty of others, too.

If I had to answer the question: "Which 3 characters whose time on screen have interested you the most?" ... I think it would be Arya, Cersei and Ramsay.

A lot of right answers, though, and few if any wrong ones! (I admit Bran bugs me, though.)

Coleman

• All American

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #790 on: April 23, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
I'm digging this theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bdwuse/spoilers_extended_my_night_king_is_not_stupid/?depth=2

Isn't there a fleet in King's Landing and can't these zombies not go on/in water? Tactically, you'd want to gain an army AND a fleet wouldn't you?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #791 on: April 23, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »
I still think the final battle happens at the Vale. In season 1 they make a huge deal of it being impregnable

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #792 on: April 23, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
I still think the final battle happens at the Vale. In season 1 they make a huge deal of it being impregnable

It may be impregnable, but its also remote.  One way in, one way out.  Can't take a sustained siege... and what lord hides in his keep while his lands are being destroyed?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #793 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »
Another theory out there:

But wait, there is one more piece to the prophecy in George R.R. Martin's books that did not make it into that scene in the show. The witch also tells Cersei: "And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." "Valonqar" means "little brother" in Valyrian — and if we are taking that literally, that means Tyrion . . . or Jaime, who is her twin, but could technically be her "little brother" since he was born after her. (That really makes the incest somehow even grosser, right?) But it's also been theorized that her killer could be someone else entirely.

So, there's still a piece of the prophecy the witch predicted that we can look forward to: Cersei's murder! 

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...rones-41057434

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
Another theory out there:

But wait, there is one more piece to the prophecy in George R.R. Martin's books that did not make it into that scene in the show. The witch also tells Cersei: "And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." "Valonqar" means "little brother" in Valyrian — and if we are taking that literally, that means Tyrion . . . or Jaime, who is her twin, but could technically be her "little brother" since he was born after her. (That really makes the incest somehow even grosser, right?) But it's also been theorized that her killer could be someone else entirely.

So, there's still a piece of the prophecy the witch predicted that we can look forward to: Cersei's murder! 

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...rones-41057434

Pretty Old but still a good one. it's also made a lot of people convinced that Arya will wear Jamie's face to kill her completing her list and the prophecy. I could see it if they were still on the books but I think they'll go more tv extravagant 
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #795 on: April 24, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »
My slightly wild theories of GRRM's story, particularly the larger meaning and endgame (not who dies/who lives). An important thing is that I'm not sure the book and the show will have remotely the same final end game results/emphasis. Much of this stems from ideas in the books, and the fact that GRRM said he wanted to break the traditional fantasy genre of Good vs. Evil (Living vs. Dead).

1. The meaning of the spiral is time. The world of Westeros is stuck in a spiral always wrapping back onto itself. So the people, and the Night King, are destined to be stuck into the same death spiral unable to escape. That is why the Night King and the 3-eyed raven can see both the past and future, they spiral back onto themselves.

2. The Night King's goal is to destroy the spiral, so that the world can be free and new. Similar goal to Dany's of destroying the Wheel, so that Westeros can be free.

3. Killing the 3-eyed raven is not to erase man, or its memories. It is simply to break the loop, so that the Night King can finally escape.

4. This relates back to Jenny's song, which is about a person unable to let go of their past, their ghosts, and instead dances with them for all eternity, because she never wants to leave. In order for rebirth to occur, we have to let go of the past and begin anew. The 3-eyed raven is stuck on the past, and all of mankind then is never free.

So it is a battle between life and death, but with the side aspect of rebirth and growth requires death. Just like the cycle of seasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #796 on: April 24, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
My slightly wild theories of GRRM's story, particularly the larger meaning and endgame (not who dies/who lives). An important thing is that I'm not sure the book and the show will have remotely the same final end game results/emphasis. Much of this stems from ideas in the books, and the fact that GRRM said he wanted to break the traditional fantasy genre of Good vs. Evil (Living vs. Dead).

1. The meaning of the spiral is time. The world of Westeros is stuck in a spiral always wrapping back onto itself. So the people, and the Night King, are destined to be stuck into the same death spiral unable to escape. That is why the Night King and the 3-eyed raven can see both the past and future, they spiral back onto themselves.

2. The Night King's goal is to destroy the spiral, so that the world can be free and new. Similar goal to Dany's of destroying the Wheel, so that Westeros can be free.

3. Killing the 3-eyed raven is not to erase man, or its memories. It is simply to break the loop, so that the Night King can finally escape.

4. This relates back to Jenny's song, which is about a person unable to let go of their past, their ghosts, and instead dances with them for all eternity, because she never wants to leave. In order for rebirth to occur, we have to let go of the past and begin anew. The 3-eyed raven is stuck on the past, and all of mankind then is never free.

So it is a battle between life and death, but with the side aspect of rebirth and growth requires death. Just like the cycle of seasons.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #797 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »

Can't believe you found a picture of me with my tinfoil hat.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »

Unless George Martin let a little bit too much Wheel of Time series influence his writing, I just don't see this happening.

That said, sounds like you might enjoy the Wheel of Time series!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »
Unless George Martin let a little bit too much Wheel of Time series influence his writing, I just don't see this happening.

That said, sounds like you might enjoy the Wheel of Time series!

I had never heard of it before but will have to check it out. Doing a little research, it seems like something I would enjoy. 

A little more research indicates that Robert Jordan (author of Wheel of Time), was close friends with GRRM, and also that GRRM was significantly influenced by Jordan and Wheel of Time.

feedback