[Today at 01:25:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gottleib rips Crean  (Read 19534 times)

MU82

• All American
Gottleib rips Crean
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »
At halftime of this afternoon's Indiana-Michigan game on CBS, Doug Gottleib said:

"You know why your starters are your starters? 'Cause they're better than your bench players. Someone needs to tell Tom Crean that. They have a 10-3 lead and he starts subbing. He takes Victor Oladipo, Yogi Ferrell and Cody Zeller out of the game. That's why Michigan recovered. He's oversubbing! Tom Crean subbed his way out of the lead. He does this time and again. He has to stop it ... if he wants to win a national championship."

To which Greg Gumbel said: "Tom Crean on line 3 for you, Doug."

Funny stuff.

Of course, Gottleib probably wouldn't care for Buzz's starting lineup or substitution patterns, either.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

denverMU

• All American
Re: Gottleib rips Crean
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Of course, Gottleib probably wouldn't care for Buzz's starting lineup or substitution patterns, either.

If he did, I would agree.  I especially dislike Buzz's habit of subbing for a player who makes a free throw for an old fashion three point play.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
What would happen if you put Gottlieb and Boeheim in a room together?  Can't fathom the result of that much cynical whining in one place.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
The only thing that bugs me about rampant substitutions is when the coach takes out the hot hand, and Buzz doesn't do that much.  He's got 10 guys he trusts and it seems to me he experiments with combinations so that by the end of the game he knows the groupings he wants on the floor.  Using players the way he does gives him the flexibility to improve matchups.  I know we complain about certain guys starting, etc.  But if Juan Anderson, for example, is going to play 10 minutes, what difference does it make if the first 3 or 4 minutes are among those 10 minutes?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
He didn't mean it Chico's. Your guy is still responsible for all good in college hoops.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
My wife, the hoosier fan, agreed with Gottlieb.   I told her that MU doesn't necessarily start its best 5 and she was surprised.   Coach's have their reasons for their line ups and rotations.    Plus, agreeing with Gottlieb because he criticizes Crean is just dumb.    I am not a Gottlieb fan. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
He didn't mean it Chico's. Your guy is still responsible for all good in college hoops.

I like Buzz a lot more than Crean.  I just don't like the hypocrisy here, and it is rampant.  For example, ripping on Gottleib and everything he says for the last 5 years and all of a sudden he's golden on this stuff?  Please.

Maybe Crean can send Doug a credit card that isn't stolen and he can buy a Big Ten championship shirt with IU on it.

Go Warriors.  Go Hoosiers.  Go Jayhawks.  F Gottlieb.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
The only thing that bugs me about rampant substitutions is when the coach takes out the hot hand, and Buzz doesn't do that much.

He does that all the time.  That's what I was talking about.  He constantly takes out players who make the shot, are fouled, and make the free throw.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Maybe they should ask why Beilein was left with no time outs at the end?  His team was tired and missing free throws while IU had gas in the tank.  Major choke job and Crean played it by the textbook to get back in it.  If IU had lost that game, it would have been 3 out of the last four, with their #1 seed all but gone. This loss may help MU in the end as well.

Never-the-less, the non-call on a "by the book" intentional call will be the topic of the day.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:28:40 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
I think Gottleib is wrong.  You have set rotations until a blatant need arises or when you need match ups at the end of the game.  Games are more marathons than sprints.

He does that all the time.  That's what I was talking about.  He constantly takes out players who make the shot, are fouled, and make the free throw.

And I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
Maybe they should ask why Beilein was left with no time outs at the end?  His team was tired and missing free throws while IU had gas in the tank.  Major choke job and Crean played it by the textbook to get back in it.  If IU had lost that game, it would have been 3 out of the last four, with their #1 seed all but gone. This loss may help MU in the end as well.

In the end, the non-call on a by the book intentional call will be the topic of the day.  

That wasn't a by the book intentional call.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
That wasn't a by the book intentional call.

The push in the back first?  Clark agreed.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »

And the only three people who's opinion matter didn't agree. No one will be writing about that "non-call"

By the way, Gottlieb praised Crean's substitution strategy in the second half.

The Crean-UM assistant tet a tet will be talked about.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

Clark, OSU alum and if IU loses OSU gets a share of the title agreed?  Cool.

Those three guys wearing zebra shirts didn't agree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Clark, OSU alum and if IU loses OSU gets a share of the title agreed?  Cool.

Those three guys wearing zebra shirts didn't agree.

Or maybe Clark simply disagreed.  Always some sort of conspiracy with you....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
The Crean-UM assistant tet a tet will be talked about.

I missed that...what happened?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »

Never-the-less, the non-call on a "by the book" intentional call will be the topic of the day.  

It was indeed textbook.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
I missed that...what happened?

classy in victory and defeat.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

Go back and listen to what Clark then says after the refs make their call and he reviews it again

"He was actually making a terrific effort to get to make a play on the ball.  He reaches in, gets him on the arm and he does make a play on the ball"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

Or maybe Clark simply disagreed.  Always some sort of conspiracy with you....

Always?  LOL.

Clark comes around at the end and says he made a play on the ball after first saying the opposite.

At any rate, the idea that it was "TEXTBOOK" is hilarious....textbook would mean it was called and it wasn't.  Some bitter fans here today.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/310885643783901184

https://mobile.twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/310887145055350788

Haha Titus is spot on.  That's hilarious.  Someone who is an IU alum and has obviously had interactions with coach Crean going through handshake lines, etc.  He's obviously heard stories that the average fan wouldn't have about a lot of different coaches and players, and clearly he does not like the guy at all.  Can't wait to watch Chicos defend the crap outta Crean.  Maybe he'll Twat at Titus about how wrong he is and how he can't possibly know what other coaches think about Crean without having ever interacted with him...oh wait.  Or maybe he is one of those people already.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »
I like Buzz a lot more than Crean.  I just don't like the hypocrisy here, and it is rampant.  For example, ripping on Gottleib and everything he says for the last 5 years and all of a sudden he's golden on this stuff?  Please.

Maybe Crean can send Doug a credit card that isn't stolen and he can buy a Big Ten championship shirt with IU on it.

Go Warriors.  Go Hoosiers.  Go Jayhawks.  F Gottlieb.
Do you go on Jayhawk websites and rip on the Hoosier fans, like you go on Hoosier sites and rip on Marquette's?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »

Show me the post where someone said he was golden. Seems to me most, including the original, still suggesting he's a pud. The post was simply pointing out what he said, and wentin to suggest he would likely say the same about Buzz, so what exactly is this hyporcisy you speak of?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »