[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gottleib rips Crean  (Read 19531 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Gottleib rips Crean
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »

The Crean-UM assistant tet a tet will be talked about.

Jeff Meyer, assistant under Kelvin Sampson at IU and part of the staff that brought the program down.  He was Liberty's coach for many years.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:27 PM »
At halftime of this afternoon's Indiana-Michigan game on CBS, Doug Gottleib said:

"You know why your starters are your starters? 'Cause they're better than your bench players. Someone needs to tell Tom Crean that. They have a 10-3 lead and he starts subbing. He takes Victor Oladipo, Yogi Ferrell and Cody Zeller out of the game. That's why Michigan recovered. He's oversubbing! Tom Crean subbed his way out of the lead. He does this time and again. He has to stop it ... if he wants to win a national championship."

To which Greg Gumbel said: "Tom Crean on line 3 for you, Doug."

Funny stuff.

Of course, Gottleib probably wouldn't care for Buzz's starting lineup or substitution patterns, either.

Gottleib is a tool...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Crean got the last laugh; he won. Game, set, match. I don't think Gottleib is stupid, but I do think he is a pud who at times is combative just for the sake of it.

Just as Buzz has an idea of the pulse of his team, when to play somebody and when not to, when somebody needs a rest, etc., I'm assuming Crean does, too. I haven't seen Indiana enough this season to know any differently, and I don't remember this being a huge problem when Crean was at MU.

Couple of thoughts on a very entertaining game:

-- I ref, and I would have called that an intentional foul. Completely hammered him from the back, didn't go for the ball, grabbed him with one arm and raked him with another.

-- Michigan lost because three of its four leading scorers and FT shooters -- Burke, Hardaway and Rice -- flat-out choked on the line. Out of a possible 6 points, they delivered 1. Shocking, I know, that it happens to other schools besides Marquette.

-- I don't like putting out no rebounders at all when your guy shoots FTs. Instruct them not to foul, but at least have them out there in case the ball takes a crazy bounce, which actually happened on Hardaway's miss.

-- Trey Burke is a hell of a player but he has some excellent teammates whom he needs to trust more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
Great stuff!

That is pretty good.  No argument from me.

Good to see Michigan's best team in 20 years finish 5th, however.  Have to admit, I enjoyed it.   ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Always?  LOL.

Clark comes around at the end and says he made a play on the ball after first saying the opposite.

At any rate, the idea that it was "TEXTBOOK" is hilarious....textbook would mean it was called and it wasn't.  Some bitter fans here today.

First of all, I spent the majority of my post defending Crean....how that is bitter, I don't know.  I am actually happy for him and the climb back for the program. More so, his victory helps Marquette and its seeding so I was cheering for IU.  

Second, I didn't use the word "textbook" on purpose...I used "by the book" instead as obviously, the refs decided not to insert themselves in that situation to decide the outcome.  They took their time, reviewed it and decided to go with the status quo. Why Clark changed his wording I don't know...perhaps he should have just said the refs decided not to insert themselves there. The IU kid pushed Robinson in the back as he was airborne on the break away, and then added a wild swipe at the ball. Kudos to him for selling it.

Enjoy your win.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:02:51 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »

Couple of thoughts on a very entertaining game:

-- I ref, and I would have called that an intentional foul. Completely hammered him from the back, didn't go for the ball, grabbed him with one arm and raked him with another.

-- Michigan lost because three of its four leading scorers and FT shooters -- Burke, Hardaway and Rice -- flat-out choked on the line. Out of a possible 6 points, they delivered 1. Shocking, I know, that it happens to other schools besides Marquette.

-- I don't like putting out no rebounders at all when your guy shoots FTs. Instruct them not to foul, but at least have them out there in case the ball takes a crazy bounce, which actually happened on Hardaway's miss.

-- Trey Burke is a hell of a player but he has some excellent teammates whom he needs to trust more.

We saw the same game. Agree on all four points.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
That is pretty good.  No argument from me.

Good to see Michigan's best team in 20 years finish 5th, however.  Have to admit, I enjoyed it.   ;)

The horror...the horror...

2013 Big East Men's Basketball Champion

2013 Ivy League Men's Basketball Champion

2013 Big Ten Chokers

Death on call

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Chicos, I never knew you were a Kansas fan.  Are there other schools you cheer for beside these three?  Or did you sweep this year with conference championships?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
First of all, I spent the majority of my post defending Crean....how that is bitter, I don't know.  I am actually happy for him and the climb back for the program. More so, his victory helps Marquette and its seeding so I was cheering for IU.  

Second, I didn't use the word "textbook" on purpose...I used "by the book" instead as obviously, the refs decided not to insert themselves in that situation to decide the outcome.  They took their time, reviewed it and decided to go with the status quo. Why Clark changed his wording I don't know...perhaps he should have just said the refs decided not to insert themselves there. The IU kid pushed Robinson in the back as he was airborne on the break away, and then added a wild swipe at the ball. Kudos to him for selling it.

Enjoy your win.

Thank you, yes, enjoying it.

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Lenny on the "Textbook" comment.  The bitter comment wasn't to you either, nor was I quoting you on either of those responses.   ?-(  And yes, there were PLENTY of bitter fans here.  They don't have to worry, IU isn't going to win it all.  Duke is the best team with the most talent.  Should be a wide open tournament.  They will have their chance to start 10+ threads on how IU's downfall (whenever they lose next) will be because of their head coach and everything good about their accomplishments will be despite of him.  LOL.

Incidentally, the refs looked at the monitor, they apparently were fooled not only in real time but also on the replay with multiple views...great selling job.  Look again, he was not pushed in the back...sure he had a hand on his back but wasn't pushed.  The wild "swing" hit his arm.

Still waiting to hear how the Michigan player's beeline to Zeller wasn't a flagrant earlier in the game?  Maybe it was a makeup call.  I don't know.  Seemed to me that Zeller got hacked all game, but they were letting the guys play.  That was a big boy basketball game and fun to watch. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Michigan played like it was a January bowl game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
Michigan played like it was a January bowl game.   

It is tough work being a Michigan fan...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
No such thing as an intentional foul anymore
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Weird that no one stated that it was eliminated last year.  No such thing as an intentional foul anymore, only flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 ;D

To the rule book, 4-29-2-c-6:

A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to: . . . Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4.36.7a.

The rule was changed prior to last season to remove the "intent" from an intentional foul. And it's been used to clean up overly physical play.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »

Good to see Michigan's best team in 20 years finish 5th, however.  Have to admit, I enjoyed it.   ;)

Tied for 4th actually. Something you'd call a lie, but I'll go with mistake.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:20:28 PM by Lennys Tap »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
He does that all the time.  That's what I was talking about.  He constantly takes out players who make the shot, are fouled, and make the free throw.

I don't consider one three point play the hot hand.  I think, particularly in the second half, he leaves the guys he thinks will be the most successful in the game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: No such thing as an intentional foul anymore
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
Weird that no one stated that it was eliminated last year.  No such thing as an intentional foul anymore, only flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 ;D

True...intentional is now under flag 1.  Again, the contention was the push in the back while airborne on a clear breakaway.  I have watched it seven times too and clearly see that.  Michigan got the free throws, they should have also got the ball, IMO too.

Immaterial if they shot their free throws. 

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
Chicos, I never knew you were a Kansas fan.  Are there other schools you cheer for beside these three?  Or did you sweep this year with conference championships?

Creighton, Belmont, Florida Gulf Coast, Miami...

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
We Are Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

To the rule book, 4-29-2-c-6:

A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to: . . . Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4.36.7a.

The rule was changed prior to last season to remove the "intent" from an intentional foul. And it's been used to clean up overly physical play.

Don't some coaches instruct their players to act as if they have been elbowed? ESPN should have an ESPY for Best Dramatic Performance For The Elbow Not Thrown

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

Those three are my alma maters.  Only other school I cheer for is UCLA since I grew up going to their games.

Hoping for a

IU
MU
KU
UCLA

Final Four.  Epic

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
Those three are my alma maters.  Only other school I cheer for is UCLA since I grew up going to their games.

Didn't UCLA win the Pac12?  4 for 4!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
Don't some coaches instruct their players to act as if they have been elbowed? ESPN should have an ESPY for Best Dramatic Performance For The Elbow Not Thrown

Don't some posters here insist they hear their coach claiming that he was instructing to do so, even going so far as to say that if they put on their Bose headphones they can hear it....only to be found to be completely wrong.  LOL

:-*

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »
Since the thread was locked yesterday, the ladder at MSG was to do something with the rims and the shot clock, NOT to cut down the nets.  The one by the St. John's end, was as high as the top of the shot clock.  MU went back to the locker room, pretty soon after the trophy presentation.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
Wades,
Titus isn't an IU alum.  He matriculated at OSU.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
Wades,
Titus isn't an IU alum.  He matriculated at OSU.

Yup, I know that.  In his Twitter conversation that was posted he explains that he grew up in Indiana and loved the Hoosiers, that his dad, brother, and sister all went to IU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter