[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: O'Sullivan's?  (Read 10747 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: O'Sullivan's?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
Trangle is at the location of OD's

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
Trangle is at the location of OD's
Then I stand corrected. 

Yes, the Harp was there, but not necessarily a campus haunt.  And I'm right there with you Legs, as for the hoops and nostalgia/stories.  Youth is wasted on the wrong people...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
Another one slightly off campus that was good for change of pace was Hegarty's Glocca Morra on 17th and Clyborn.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
Also, anyone ever go to Jim's Time Out? That was always a stop on the way to the Bradley Center. $3.75 mini "pitchers" (more like 2 and a half beers) of Point Special.

We used to go there sometimes as underclassmen.  Good deals and a pool table I believe?

It was right at the edge of the MU Limo's drop off range, so you had a free ride there and back.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:53:56 PM by MarsupialMadness »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
Another one slightly off campus that was good for change of pace was Hegarty's Glocca Morra on 17th and Clyborn.

Yep. That closed in '05 I believe.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »
Miss Katie's Diner still serves beer, if that counts for anything.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
Yep. That closed in '05 I believe.

Hegerty's I think only closed a few years ago... probably more like 2010.  They used to have Double Your Dough days that were great.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
JTO's (Jim's time out) was awesome when i was a sophomore. A lot of local flavor in there.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
When you older guys were in school did you ever go downtown to the bars...were there bars to go to? When I was there our routine would be to go downtown or the eastside to start the night then head back to campus around 1 for bar close. We would really only stick around campus during the week days or if there were house parties going on. Seems like you guys hung around campus a lot more.

Edit: I was there '06-10

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:38:06 PM by cbowe3 »
Bring back FFP!!!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
Our crowd would go downtown or up to the UWM are bars about once a month, but there were so many house parties and bars within close walking distance, it was rarely worth the time to stray far from campus.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
When you older guys were in school did you ever go downtown to the bars...were there bars to go to? When I was there our routine would be to go downtown or the eastside to start the night then head back to campus around 1 for bar close. We would really only stick around campus during the week days or if there were house parties going on. Seems like you guys hung around campus a lot more.

Some did, but most did not head to the East Side, downtown, or Warehouse Dist (don't even know if that's the right desgination), but some of those bars included:

National Liquor Bar (on National--crazy local place--bar/package combo --great for boilermakers!)

Old World/or Third World something--near AB Factory--on Third street?  Lots of imports.

The Harp

John Hawkes

Park Avenue and Pappagallo (night clubs down town--one of them had a Saturday Night Fever dance floor-good lord)

Top of the Pfister (Friday night beat the clock .25 cent drinks to start, going up a quarter every 15 minutes - or maybe they atarted at a buck and went up a quarter every 15 minutes) and Elsa's if you ever had a non-"Marquette date" date

The Gaslight - East Side-- for Hurricanes

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
Also, anyone ever go to Jim's Time Out? That was always a stop on the way to the Bradley Center. $3.75 mini "pitchers" (more like 2 and a half beers) of Point Special.

There was a bar right by the Milwaukee Public Library that was called "The Ding Dong Bar".  It looked like it belonged in Bay View - one of those taverns that looks a house with a bar in the living room.  I had two buddies that I worked with downtown and we would stop there on the way back from campus simply because we liked the name.

It's still there, but it's called something else now.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
Some did, but most did not head to the East Side, downtown, or Warehouse Dist (don't even know if that's the right desgination), but some of those bars included:

National Liquor Bar (on National--crazy local place--bar/package combo --great for boilermakers!)

Old World/or Third World something--near AB Factory--on Third street?  Lots of imports.

The Harp

John Hawkes

Park Avenue and Pappagallo (night clubs down town--one of them had a Saturday Night Fever dance floor-good lord)

Top of the Pfister (Friday night beat the clock .25 cent drinks to start, going up a quarter every 15 minutes - or maybe they atarted at a buck and went up a quarter every 15 minutes) and Elsa's if you ever had a non-"Marquette date" date

The Gaslight - East Side-- for Hurricane

The bar at the top of the Pfister was La Playa.  And for a brief period of time Park Ave had male exotic dancers one night a week.  An entire floor of us Cobeen girls went once as a group activity.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
I had forgotten about national liquor bar.  I went there as a teen.  In some ways, it was a larger version of the Lanche.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:44 PM »
Good call--my memory is wide open and brightly lit-no shame in enjoying your post-work drink

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
The bar at the top of the Pfister was La Playa.  And for a brief period of time Park Ave had male exotic dancers one night a week.  An entire floor of us Cobeen girls went once as a group activity.

Mrs. Legs also lived in the Beanery and made a trip or two to La Playa (I think a couple of years before your time). 

Also, one of my roomates was an inadvertent and, frankly, grotesque, male exotic dancer (I think at Park Ave) the night that he decided to try an acrobatic move and split his pants sans his tighty whities.  And no, youngsters, going commando was not something that most of did back in the day.

OK, (past) time for the Superbar!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
The National Liquor Bar was like drinking in an A & P.

What was the name of the bar on Wisconsin Ave., near 5th or 6th Street, that sold hard boiled eggs for a quarter?  They weren't called hard boiled eggs though.....anyone?  anyone?

Boneless chicken for $.25.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
O'Paget's had both a dance floor and a poolroom with multiple tables.    IIRC, it was the only campus bar with an actual dance floor.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
Was either Art's or Rickie's mentioned?  A couple of fine establishments there.....

Or the Eagle's Club?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Was either Art's or Rickie's mentioned?  A couple of fine establishments there.....

Or the Eagle's Club?

Not by me b/c of the areas I was covering (though Arts is downtown I'm not sure that it was around when I was at MU).

Eagles Club/ VFW very nice, esp when hangin out w: the West crowd.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
Hegarty's?  With the moving booth seats?  Where they served green beer until Easter? (because they could buy it cheap after St. Patrick's Day)

Finally, someone names on of the great Marquette Bars. Jim Hegarty's was a classic gin joint where many a brain cell was laid to rest over the generations. I read Hegarty's closed in 2010 and it sounds as if they went out in style.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/92405674.html

The best Marquette bars were:

Lenny's
The Lanche
Jim Hegarty's
The Ardmore (only because my wife lived in the apartments above)

The Camel Club at 15th & State should be on that list but after the second shooting we chose to find liquid refreshment elsewhere.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
Keefe

My vote goes to The Gym Bar.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Keefe

My vote goes to The Gym Bar.

The Gym was solid, no doubt. I would kill to get some of those photos of Warriors they had up on the walls. I always liked to think that one graduated from the Gym and the Ardmore to Lenny's and Hegarty's. The Lanche was more raucous but nobody ran a gin joint like Arch. Plus, the Lanche had pool tables.

I drank at the Ardmore more than I would have otherwise but my eventual wife didn't like Lenny's or the Lanche. The things we do... 

Death on call

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Actually, OD's was on 15th and Wells.  120 steps from the Lighthouse.

I think I lived at the Lighthouse (we obviously didn't call it that but there was a rough scrawling in the cement right in front of the front stoop). Was is 1915 W. Kilbourn? Three story house with the nice backyard and loft (loft was mostly filled with beer cans and old kegs)?

Never put that together in your alias.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
Class of 09, yes, I went to Jim's Timeout once as a freshman, but the locals looked at us funny like we weren't welcome so we didn't go back... Remember those little mini-pitchers though. Awkward size.

feedback