[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: O'Sullivan's?  (Read 10748 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
O'Sullivan's?
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »
I can't make the game this weekend and normally I would go to the Schoolyard but I can't this time.  O'Sullivan's is closer to my parents house and I was wondering if anybody has gone there for game day. Is it worth going to to watch the games? I've only ever been there for my bday awhile back. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ringoutahoya

• Walk-On
Re: O'Sullivan's?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
Best bar on all of Madison Street - without a doubt. Usually a few MU fans there for games.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:56:43 AM »
I can't make the game this weekend and normally I would go to the Schoolyard but I can't this time.  O'Sullivan's is closer to my parents house and I was wondering if anybody has gone there for game day. Is it worth going to to watch the games? I've only ever been there for my bday awhile back. 
O'Sullivan's on North? If so, I recommend O'Donahue's on Watertown Plank. I watch many road games there. The owner's parents owned a bar on campus (O'Donahue's now, Murph's).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
O'D's on campus was not in the Murph's location. O'D's was on 13th and Wells and has since been torn down. The O'd's in Elm Grove is a good place to watch games, much better than O'Sullivan's IMO.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »
O'D's on campus was not in the Murph's location. O'D's was on 13th and Wells and has since been torn down. The O'd's in Elm Grove is a good place to watch games, much better than O'Sullivan's IMO.

Really?  Why do you think so, Goose?   I am a big O'D's supporter, was there Saturday night, but the TV's at O'Sullivan's are way better than the set up at Jaimie's for game watching. 

I also assume the OP is talking Chicago, not suburban Milwaukee.
Ludum habemus.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
I think so.  Forest Park.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »

Actually, OD's was on 15th and Wells.  120 steps from the Lighthouse.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
Actually, OD's was on 15th and Wells.  120 steps from the Lighthouse.

On the way there.  On the way home, when you were doing the serpentine, it was 162 steps.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
15th and Wells?!?!?!

My God, what years was it there???

#1, I can't remember it, and #2, I can't believe I could have missed it!

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
O'Sullivan's in Forest Park is by far my favorite bar on the block.

Will definitely be some MU fans in there...I believe they even have an MU banner flying high behind the bar...

They had $2 Corona's on Friday nights when I lived over there...it was quite a treat.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
On the way there.  On the way home, when you were doing the serpentine, it was 162 steps.

Legs, It was more than 162.  We'd stop at the Lanche on the way home.  I'm not sure when OD's was bought by MU and torn down to build the Evans Scholars House.  Maybe someone who was there after I was can chime in.  When I left in 84,OD's and a ton of other bars were still going strong.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Quite right, nice catch. Murph's was The Gym in my day.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
Thanks, I was actually talking about the one in Forest Park.  Personally I always preferred Healy's but O'Sullivan's is always fun.  Glad there'll be some people there, I wasn't expecting the crowd that the Schoolyard or Four Shadows has but a few fans is better than my parents couch. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
I live a couple blocks from O'Sullivans. It's a nice place to watch a game.

The GF lives basically on top of The Hidden Shamrock (Diversey and Halsted). Been to The Schoolyard several times, and was surprised at the turnout that Shamrock gets for the games. It's a nice secondary location if you don't want to go so far north as Schoolyard.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
Legs, It was more than 162.  We'd stop at the Lanche on the way home.  I'm not sure when OD's was bought by MU and torn down to build the Evans Scholars House.  Maybe someone who was there after I was can chime in.  When I left in 84,OD's and a ton of other bars were still going strong.

Yep ('86)--Wells (and, to include the new and old Ardmore, just south of Wells!), Kilbourne and State, from 12th to 18th street, probably had 12 to 15 bars and other places that served food but were quasi bars

The Ardmore
The Gym
O'Paget's
Good Time Charlie's
OD's
'Lanche
Angelo's (ish)
Grunt's
Amigo's (great pitcher deals wot go with your midnight chimi's)
Friends (something like that--18th and State--more of a neighborhood bar, but since we lived next door my junior year, we'd go)
Murphy's Law
Greentree
State House
Hegarty's

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
Why am I not surprised this thread is turning into all the Alumni from the 70s-90s talking about the old MU bars. Now I am just waiting for someone to say that all current students suck and don't know how drink or party.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »
Yep ('86)--Wells (and, to include the new and old Ardmore, just south of Wells!), Kilbourne and State, from 12th to 18th street, probably had 12 to 15 bars and other places that served food but were quasi bars

The Ardmore
The Gym
O'Paget's
Good Time Charlie's
OD's
'Lanche
Angelo's (ish)
Grunt's
Amigo's (great pitcher deals wot go with your midnight chimi's)
Friends (something like that--18th and State--more of a neighborhood bar, but since we lived next door my junior year, we'd go)
Murphy's Law
Greentree
State House
Hegarty's

No Harp & Shamrock back then?

Sad thing is when I was there (class of '08) all that was left of that list was Hegarty's and Angelo's. And now those are both gone.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
Why am I not surprised this thread is turning into all the Alumni from the 70s-90s talking about the old MU bars. Now I am just waiting for someone to say that all current students suck and don't know how drink or party.

Mostly guilty as charged (in teal)!  I'm on this site for 2 very related reasons:  love of MU basketball and nostalgia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Also, anyone ever go to Jim's Time Out? That was always a stop on the way to the Bradley Center. $3.75 mini "pitchers" (more like 2 and a half beers) of Point Special.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:30:10 PM by Victor McCormick »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
You'll get there someday whippersnapper.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
Also, anyone ever go to Jim's Time Out? That was always a stop on the way to the Bradley Center. $3.75 mini "pitchers" (more like 2 and a half beers) of Point Special.

Stopped in there before the Seton Hall game. It's still your basic Milwaukee joint - gotta love it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
What was the name of the bar/bartender school around 7th and Wisconsin in the mid 80's?    Cheap drinks.   And how many here did 'death marches', where you had to have one drink in all of them until you.....ummmm......reviewed dinner?    Or was that just my friends?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »
What was the name of the bar/bartender school around 7th and Wisconsin in the mid 80's?    Cheap drinks.   And how many here did 'death marches', where you had to have one drink in all of them until you.....ummmm......reviewed dinner?    Or was that just my friends?

Hegarty's?  With the moving booth seats?  Where they served green beer until Easter? (because they could buy it cheap after St. Patrick's Day)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:01:22 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
Lloyd

I am with you on both counts. Some days I like the stories better than the basketball.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
This is not accurate. O'D's and the Evans Scholar house existed simultaneously

feedback