[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: O'Sullivan's?  (Read 10745 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Re: O'Sullivan's?
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

I guess we have a different definition of fantasy.

This is what I feared. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
Keefe

I agree with you both on how Arch ran the Lanche and I happened to be big fan of The Ardmore as well. Lenny's was special place. We really were lucky to have the joints we had. My kid is there now and I know he is finding his fun but we did not need to look very far to find fun in the day. Having a campus bar open at 6am was a real bonus.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Also, anyone ever go to Jim's Time Out? That was always a stop on the way to the Bradley Center. $3.75 mini "pitchers" (more like 2 and a half beers) of Point Special.
I still go there before or after most home games!

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
The East End on 14th and State.  During the national championship season, point guard Jim Boylin was a frequent bartender.  He didn't always accept full payment for drinks.  Watched a replay of the championship game in the East End while Boylin was tending bar - in the game, he was at the line and announced free drinks if the free throws were good.  They were.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
Hegerty's I think only closed a few years ago... probably more like 2010.  They used to have Double Your Dough days that were great.

I was referring to the Gloc. I am well aware of the recent tragedy of Heg's closing

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
Finally, someone names on of the great Marquette Bars. Jim Hegarty's was a classic gin joint where many a brain cell was laid to rest over the generations. I read Hegarty's closed in 2010 and it sounds as if they went out in style.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/92405674.html

The best Marquette bars were:

Lenny's
The Lanche
Jim Hegarty's
The Ardmore (only because my wife lived in the apartments above)

The Camel Club at 15th & State should be on that list but after the second shooting we chose to find liquid refreshment elsewhere.

I became a regular at Lenny's my junior year, as I lived (932 N 18th, side entrance) a short crawl from the place. Lenny Bernstein had the face of an ex boxer (which he was) and I always remember him with a cigar in his mouth. For two years I spent every Thursday afternoon "in class" at a table in Lenny's, pouring over the Gold Sheet and other tout and stat services he subscribed to, and listening as the master expounded on the patience and discipline required to beat the "man". I had two great teachers my 4 years at MU and he was one of them.

I was also more than a little familiar with the Lanche (which my brother later owned and my brother in law managed from maybe 1975-78), Hegarty's and the Gym. Didn't much care for the Ardmore, kind of "white bread". Favorite date bar was the Black Spider on Clybourn (between 17th and 18th).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Finally, someone names on of the great Marquette Bars. Jim Hegarty's was a classic gin joint where many a brain cell was laid to rest over the generations. I read Hegarty's closed in 2010 and it sounds as if they went out in style.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/92405674.html

The best Marquette bars were:

Lenny's
The Lanche
Jim Hegarty's
The Ardmore (only because my wife lived in the apartments above)

The Camel Club at 15th & State should be on that list but after the second shooting we chose to find liquid refreshment elsewhere.

PTM makes the TMJ4 video on the JSOnline site.

http://bcove.me/w8c7w07d
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:28:21 AM by PTM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
In MY day, you could get full-on alcohol poisoning for well under $20 and never leave the campus area.  Beers were 50 cents at all of the Marquette Bars.  When they were raised to 60 cents, we thought all the bar owners were screwing us.

C'mon, WC, Marquette coeds perfected the art of never ever touching their wallets during a long night's slog through the PBR! I ended up marrying one but made her get a damn job so she could buy her beer for a change....

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
College.   Where the weekend started on Tuesday with either $.25 taps or $2 pitchers.   Wednesday was import night at the Ardmore.   Thursday was a repeat of Tuesday.    Friday and Saturday were givens.   Finish up at Hegarty's on Sunday with a 32 oz beers for a buck.  Somehow, I managed to hold down a 15 hour a week job, play ball 3-4 times a week and carry a 3.2 most semesters.  Except when I was dating a high maintenance girl.   Oy.   High maintenance relationships hurt my GPA more than anything else.  

Where did you drink on Mondays?

Death on call

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
Where did you drink on Mondays?
State house had dime taps I think. Or it was Good Times. What a beautiful thing.   
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »
Keefe

I agree with you both on how Arch ran the Lanche and I happened to be big fan of The Ardmore as well. Lenny's was special place. We really were lucky to have the joints we had. My kid is there now and I know he is finding his fun but we did not need to look very far to find fun in the day. Having a campus bar open at 6am was a real bonus.

Roger campus bars. I read through this and it seems the kids all head over to the east side or downtown - places we never thought of going. The beers were absurdly cheap though in fact we were drinking cat piss RWB, Dog Style or Old Mil (Beers you wouldn't dare drink today.) I spent many a night pouring that swill down my gullet at Lenny's, The Camel, or the Lanche rather than getting into the Diffy Q's but like Al said - a well rounded education involves time spent in dive bars. One of life's great side shows was the after hours crowd at Real Chili. The things said and done there after 0200 should have been recorded for the ages. There was a gyro place on Wells, too. The owner was a Lebanese dude who gave you enough shaved meat to feed Hezbollah for a year. He closed up and moved to the east side because he said he was tired of cleaning up vomit in his bathroom.

I did a fair amount of drinking at the Ardmore as my wife lived in those apts. She actually got me one of those Ardmore mugs to encourage me to drink there rather than Lenny's or The Camel, places she considered way too down market. The Ardmore had this secret back door that led to up to the apts. I recall wrapping up night a long night at the bar then sneaking upstairs at 0215. I woke her up but she was barring the door, telling me in a disgusted tone that I was drunk. I proudly acknowledged that fact and she then slammed the door in my face. Her roommates gave me nasty looks for weeks afterwards.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »
The East End on 14th and State.  During the national championship season, point guard Jim Boylin was a frequent bartender.  He didn't always accept full payment for drinks.  Watched a replay of the championship game in the East End while Boylin was tending bar - in the game, he was at the line and announced free drinks if the free throws were good.  They were.

Holy Sh1t! The East End! Man I had forgotten about that place. My wife and her friends used to drink there. That was a good bar but it was certainly no Lenny's.

Death on call

feedback