Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Automatic  (Read 6341 times)

Afroman

• All American
Automatic
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed, but does anyone else hate that "Automatic!" chant whenever Gardner is at the free-throw line? Yes, Gardner is great from the charity stripe, but a chant like that seems like piling on added pressure, especially in the late-game situations yesterday. I mean, he did miss twice, so it wasn't automatic.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Automatic
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »
Thank you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
Welcome Afro.  We look forward to your contribution to scoop.

dsense3034

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
Yes, I completely agree, It makes no sense to chant during a free throw during home games. It is completely idiotic. I wouldn't even chant that with Steve Novak on the line, who missed just 2 Free throws his entire senior year

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
I thought it was funny that the Washington Post noted that Sheesh is known as "Auto-matic".   I also think it is funny that fans in the stands are now screaming "shut up" at the fans chanting "aut-o-mat-ic"...which I find more distracting.  If the Big Sheesh loves it, so do I.

Btw, loved the student dressed as a slab of bacon yesterday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
He likes it and he's shooting at a higher clip than any big man here I can remember (and no, I don't really count Novak as a big). And in the past 4 games at home, he's shooting 91.7% from the line, which is probably about as automatic as you'll ever find for a 290-pound player.

Regardless, we'll all be hearing it at home games for the next year and a half or so. Might as well just accept it, because it's not going away.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
 If the Big Sheesh loves it, so do I.

I was also told he has the highest percentage at the line for anyone over 6'5" in the country.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
I thought it was funny that the Washington Post noted that Sheesh is known as "Auto-matic".   I also think it is funny that fans in the stands are now screaming "shut up" at the fans chanting "aut-o-mat-ic"...which I find more distracting.  If the Big Sheesh loves it, so do I.

Section 400, Row Q, Seat 2.  Among his least annoying ravings of yesterday.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »

Thought that was Lady Gaga
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »

Thought that was Lady Gaga

How do you know it wasn't?   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
How do you know it wasn't?   ;)

If it was, Lady Gaga has changed both her gender and race.
Have some patience, FFS.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

Yep.  THAT was worthy of Extreme Fanatic of the Game, or whatever it's called.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
If it was, Lady Gaga has changed both her gender and race.
Michael Jackson did, so it is possible. ;)

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
I was also told he has the highest percentage at the line for anyone over 6'5" in the country.

Michigan State's Adreian Payne is 6'10 and shooting 85.7% (30-35) from the line compared to Davante's 84.1%.

Indiana's Christian Watford is 6'9 and shooting 90.3% (56-62) from the line.

Davante is a good free throw shooter, but that is definitely an incorrect statement.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:47:33 AM by spartan3186 »

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
At first I hated the Auto-Matic chant.  Then Davante endorsed it.  Pretty awesome, if you ask me. Just adds to the quirkiness that is Ox/Big Sheesh/DG.  How many players would actually acknowledge that they like a chant when they were shooting free throws? If he likes it, then I like it.  If he didn't like it, then I wouldn't like it.  Whatever works for him and helps us win games.

By the way, for anyone that has played basketball and had to shoot pressure free throws:  It is actually MORE nervewracking then things are completely quiet, and you can pick out individual voices and distractions.  When there's a little noise (not a ton, but enough to drown out individual voices), its actually not that distracting. Complete silence is worse. Sounds counter-intuitive, but just one guys two cents...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
At first I hated the Auto-Matic chant.  Then Davante endorsed it.  Pretty awesome, if you ask me. Just adds to the quirkiness that is Ox/Big Sheesh/DG.  How many players would actually acknowledge that they like a chant when they were shooting free throws? If he likes it, then I like it.  If he didn't like it, then I wouldn't like it.  Whatever works for him and helps us win games.

By the way, for anyone that has played basketball and had to shoot pressure free throws:  It is actually MORE nervewracking then things are completely quiet, and you can pick out individual voices and distractions.  When there's a little noise (not a ton, but enough to drown out individual voices), its actually not that distracting. Complete silence is worse. Sounds counter-intuitive, but just one guys two cents...

If you're a good FT shooter, the crowd noise or lack thereof is a complete non-issue. It's all muscle memory.

For the record, I was about a 60% FT shooter in HS so I know what I'm talking about ;)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »

I would think it makes sense.  A nervous silence or hearing varying whispers versus focusing on one constant, rhythmic chant.  I'd prefer the chant.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
Michigan State's Adreian Payne is 6'10 and shooting 85.7% (30-35) from the line compared to Davante's 84.1%.

Indiana's Christian Watford is 6'9 and shooting 90.3% (56-62) from the line.

Davante is a good free throw shooter, but that is definitely an incorrect statement.

I think the original poster might be referring to bama's post that Gardner is shooting the highest FT% of any "big man" in the country, which I believe was defined as a combination of height and weight.  Payne may have been behind Gardner at the time it was written, and I doubt Watford met the weight criteria - he's more an exterior player anyway.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Warrior11, I think you are correct. I've often thought the best move by the student section would be to yell, scream, wave signs and pinwheels, and then, when the shooter is really ready to put it up there, go into silence.

feedback