[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ran into Dominic James this weekend  (Read 23887 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: ran into Dominic James this weekend
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
Dominic James was a Marquette great but I think fans (me included) are frustrated because
a) he didn't get better year on year (stats - wise)
b) he never learned to shoot.  Career .405 shooter, .286 from 3 and 62% free throws

As a freshman, I was 100% convinced he would be the next Allen Iverson... if he learned to shoot.  He had the athleticism, the confidence, and he played better D than AI ever did.  (AI had more steals, but James was a great on-ball defender). His problem was inconsistent form mainly caused by over-jumping on his shot.  it seemed that every time he jumped he had to jump as high as he possibly could, so every shot was off balance.  I don't know why Crean couldn't coach this out of him... maybe I should be disappointed with Crean and not James...

I remembered his shot being broken. But did not remember 46% FT his senior season over 28 games.

Dominic was a hell of a lot of fun to watch play

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »
DJ was one of my favorite players at MU.  OMG his athleticism was a sight to see.....”the gospel according to James”. See the MU vs Tennessee game for that particular reference.  I truly think one of the major reasons McNeal got as many steals as he did wAs directly related to James playing some of the best on ball defense I’ve seen.  I remember him shutting opposing guards down to very minimal points and assists...well below their average.  I recall him doing that to Wisconsin and Villanova in particular.  As a matter of fact, I remember the Wisconsin guard being so frustrated with James that he pushed him as James was so close he could have kissed him.  After a James got pushed he simply smiled as he got the call.  If anyone’s got a clip of that, I’d love to see that again. 

I’m convinced he would’ve been a valuable asset on any NBA team.  I am totally convinced of that and I’m still baffled he wasn’t drafted.  I don’t disagree with his shooting.  Point taken.  I would’ve had him work on developing a better shot if drafted.  Then until his shot improved I’d have him drive,
Distribute and D up.  He was fun to watch.  Cocky?  Yes, and I loved it.  Thought it was exactly what we needed having such a young team that inaugural year in the Big East.  Remember the guy from Pitt shoving James into the press table his Freshman year?  Man, he frustrated opposing players......blowing by them, getting in their grill on D, dunking over them, etc......Damn I loved watching him play. 

For what it’s worth, there were a few games where he couldn’t miss....West Virginia at the Bradley Center comes to mind......but then again I believe we were doing wine at nine so by the time the game rolled around, I might have been a little drunk. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2020, 04:09:26 PM »
I’m convinced he would’ve been a valuable asset on any NBA team.  I am totally convinced of that and I’m still baffled he wasn’t

When you are that small and an inconsistent shooter, it really isn't that hard to figure out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »
That’s where I think people got it wrong.  I couldn’t give a crap about his height.  I think people, not you, make these stupid assumptions like if he’s short he can’t play in the NBA.....sort of like tall kids shouldn’t be shooting from outside - now it’s more accepted as finally some have come to their senses.  WAsnt like that when I was younger.  Again, it’s my opinion, but I think he would’ve contributed quite a bit in the NBA, despite his lack of height.......again, “The gospel according to James”! 

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
The slander on Dominic James by our own fans is one I will never understand.  And the fact that bubba quoted his own stupid comment 8 years later tells me all I need to know about his character.
Marquette Basketball: Character Revealed
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
That’s where I think people got it wrong.  I couldn’t give a crap about his height.  I think people, not you, make these stupid assumptions like if he’s short he can’t play in the NBA.....sort of like tall kids shouldn’t be shooting from outside - now it’s more accepted as finally some have come to their senses.  WAsnt like that when I was younger.  Again, it’s my opinion, but I think he would’ve contributed quite a bit in the NBA, despite his lack of height.......again, “The gospel according to James”! 

You may not give a crap. NBA GMs do. And for good reason.  Players shorter than six feet struggle.

He was given a chance in summer leagues. And didn’t make it. No shame in that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
You may not give a crap. NBA GMs do. And for good reason.  Players shorter than six feet struggle.

He was given a chance in summer leagues. And didn’t make it. No shame in that.

Koby McEwen is the new Dominic James.
Discuss
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2020, 05:40:54 PM »
Discuss

I loved DJ. I agree with what Frenn says about his college career. I just understand why he never made the NBA. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
Discuss

No.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
Discuss

Nope

James a much better passer and driver to the hoop. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2020, 09:10:17 PM »
Nope

James a much better passer and driver to the hoop.

Also a 1000x better ball handler and defender.  Maybe tge best defender ive ever seen at MU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »
Also a 1000x better ball handler and defender.  Maybe tge best defender ive ever seen at MU

Best Defender? 

I might have to go back and watch tape.  That's a lofty title considering you have Crowder, Butler, Wade, McIlvaine, etc in the mix.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2020, 09:14:09 PM »
Just because Vander EVENTUALLY changed his form after years of refusing, including telling the U17 coach and eventual NBA GM 'nah, I'm good" doesn't make anyone full of crap. It just seems some people are threatened when others challenge their world view and have to resort to childish name-calling. Sad.

And if DJ did indeed hire shooting coaches I hope he didn't pay.

Well according to you he was cocky and dudnt feel he needed to, so which is it?  Ya dont know Sh!t.   You come on here lije some arrogant smug ahole talkin about kids being cocky n not thinking they need to improve.  You were 0 for 2.  F off Sybil

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
Best Defender? 

I might have to go back and watch tape.  That's a lofty title considering you have Crowder, Butler, Wade, McIlvaine, etc in the mix.

Better than Butler or Crowder.  Jim was a great shot blocker apart from that not greatly mobile but hard to understate his rim protection.  Wade was a great athlete n had great defensive ability.  DJs great ability as PG was to completely shut down n stay infront if his man with great lateral quickness and strength.  Part of the  reason jerel had so many steals ( as did others) was because tgey could get up into passing lanes n not be concerned about sagging to help stop dribble penetration, DJ had that covered.  He didnt always get the steal but he caused them.  As others stated he physically n mentally wore opposing PGs out

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »

Great defender, but I think at the end at least, not quite JFB. The job Jimmy did on Tu Holloway in the NCAAs stands out above all for me - made him a first round draft choice.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2020, 04:57:39 AM »
The NBA comp in the same era is Nate Robinson.  Equally athletic, maybe even advantage to DJ.  Nate a little shorter but also well built.  Nate shot .348 from 3 at Washington and .360 in the NBA.  DJ might even have been a better on-ball defender, but Nate was also tenacious and gutsy and athletic.  Can't shoot, don't play in the league. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2020, 06:25:15 AM »
DJ (and vander), both floated way too much on their jump shots. Got lots of height, but inconsistent release points. If you remember Jerel by his senior year, barely jumped on his 3 point attempts. If DJ was around now, he would study Markus to see how he got separation and didn’t need as much bounce.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
Great defender, but I think at the end at least, not quite JFB. The job Jimmy did on Tu Holloway in the NCAAs stands out above all for me - made him a first round draft choice.

DJ’s on the ball defense his senior season was the best I’ve ever seen... it was stifling.  The opposing guard could rarely even move given how amazing his lateral quickness was.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
DJ’s on the ball defense his senior season was the best I’ve ever seen... it was stifling.  The opposing guard could rarely even move given how amazing his lateral quickness was.

This.

And when you consider he was guarding the most important position on the floor it rightly puts him near (if not at) the top of the best defender rankings.

feedback