[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ran into Dominic James this weekend  (Read 24076 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: ran into Dominic James this weekend
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Who said they hated him? Just calling a good college player a good college player.

As for his comeback game in the 09 Tourney against Mizzou...admirable, but ineffective.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=294000010

Implying that a former player (and MU graduate) is "Bagging Groceries" goes far beyond calling a good player a good player.

DJ was a very good college player. That's it. I don't think that deserves a "Bagging Groceries" comment.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
My mouth is wide open.

Then put your foot in it and shut up.  He was a huge part of our success during those years and a class act.  Provided the best highlights and clutch shooting since D-Wade and was the unquestioned leader of the program when Crean left.  Sure he had some holes in his game, but that's a pretty low blow.  Loser.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
  Provided the best highlights and clutch shooting since D-Wade and was the unquestioned leader of the program when Crean left.
Clutch shooting? Really? NC State was a good highlight, but i wouldn't call him clutch. This is why the ball went to Jerry Mac at the end of games. And his highlights consist of a reverse ally-oop, which was sweet, but i wouldn't call it the best. He had a great verticle and showed it off against sub par competition. Unquestioned leader is funny, especially after Crean left. Also, calling me a loser may make you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that James never lived up to his potential.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »
Clutch shooting? Really? NC State was a good highlight, but i wouldn't call him clutch. This is why the ball went to Jerry Mac at the end of games. And his highlights consist of a reverse ally-oop, which was sweet, but i wouldn't call it the best. He had a great verticle and showed it off against sub par competition. Unquestioned leader is funny, especially after Crean left. Also, calling me a loser may make you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that James never lived up to his potential.

He may not have professionally, but he was an outstanding player for Marquette. Look at that 2009 team. They were never the same after he went down. He may not have shot the ball well, but did everything else to help MU win games.

The amount of crap he got on here amazes me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Do grocery baggers have "backpack" 2nd half performances vs. Duke like Dominic had in the 2006 CBE? 
Do grocery baggers make shots like Dominic's game winning 3 @ NC State?
Do I really have to go on?

The only thing I will never be able to rationalize was D-James' foul on Jonathan Wallace.  Every other poor shot, bonehead play, stupid turnover, etc. he made can be attributed to "it happens to everyone"-type moments, aggressiveness or "right decision, poor execution".  So IMO, only one time in a four-year career did the kid do something really, really stupid that may have cost the game.  But guess what... he won at least the two games for MU cited above.

Sorry, but if you don't think that the majority of MU fans would take offense to a Dominic James "bagging groceries" comment, then you certainly weren't paying attention from 2005-2009.

Besides, Dominic's interactions with the guy gave me reason to at least think I was going to be entertained when I saw Jim Burr walk on the court.  Since DJ graduated, how many times have you seen a player put his arm around a ref (or vice versa) after he just committed a foul?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »

So do you think Marquette would have been better off with out DJ?  If so, who would you rather have out there running the show?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
To even debate value of DJ is crazy. Anyone that does not understand the value he brought to team flat out does not a thing about the game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
it doesn't change the fact that James never lived up to his potential.

He was a very good college player and a 4 year starter.

If you demand more than that, you are going to dislike a lot of players.

He played his ass off and worked hard. Potential might not have been reached (in your mind), but it wasn't because he didn't work hard.

It sounds like you just don't like the guy (for whatever reason).

Also, not clutch in this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeiMnw05mDA
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:04:38 PM by Guns n Ammo »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Also, not clutch in this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeiMnw05mDA

Was that home video or a clip of Hoosiers on Betamax?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
I truly don't understand the defensiveness. Perhaps the grocery comment was over the top, but to claim James was beyond reproach is silly. He WAS a great defensive player and was very athletic. Thats basically it as far as I'm concerned. He was a very good college player, one who IMO was very frustrating to watch and difficult to warm up to for whatever reason. Some of you react like your mother is being insulted.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
18 straight against Valpo.    Best on-ball defender I have seen at MU. Prone to cramps early in his career.    Ironically, his last made shot, a couple of possessions before he broke his foot, was a 3pt basket where he exhibited near-perfect form.    A player that probably would have developed a more complete game under Buzz than under Crean.    His senior year, he finally was playing the point, instead of being the most athletic small guy on the floor.     A leader, a warrior, and I appreciate all he brought to the table during his time at MU.     And remember, that team was #8 in the country when he broke his foot.   He stays healthy.......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
He stays healthy.......

/Goes undrafted
//Bags groceries

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
He stays healthy, that team goes deep.   Playing for 6 figure$ in Europe is not bagging groceries.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
///Still has a highlight I'll never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6aVbxKf1WM&playnext=1&list=PL3F965A99C15D2F1D&feature=results_video

That was awesome!!! Forgot about that.  A lot of NBA/Europe pros for MU in that game.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
That was awesome!!! Forgot about that.  A lot of NBA/Europe pros for MU in that game.

Not quite enough to pull out a W

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I truly don't understand the defensiveness. Perhaps the grocery comment was over the top...

Yep.

People don't have to love him. But, let's not disparage him and pretend like he wasn't good.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
18 straight against Valpo.    Best on-ball defender I have seen at MU. Prone to cramps early in his career.    Ironically, his last made shot, a couple of possessions before he broke his foot, was a 3pt basket where he exhibited near-perfect form.    A player that probably would have developed a more complete game under Buzz than under Crean.    His senior year, he finally was playing the point, instead of being the most athletic small guy on the floor.     A leader, a warrior, and I appreciate all he brought to the table during his time at MU.     And remember, that team was #8 in the country when he broke his foot.   He stays healthy.......

Agree with everything here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
My mouth is wide open.

With a big, fat c0ck in it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:32 AM »
Ridiculous to imply DJ wasn't a good player in his time at MU.  He was a program great!  The issue, I believe, is that he was SO GOOD as a freshman, people's hopes got sky high, and his performance leveled off or perhaps even regressed sophomore/junior year.  Nonetheless, the guy was a great player during his time at MU.

Interestingly enough, I feel Vander Blue was SO GOOD as a junior in high school in leading Maymon's team to a state championship, that the bar for Vander after his junior year was set so high - it was going to be hard to exceed his junior year performance.  His Senior year at Memorial was just okay - not even voted player of the year in WI.  He's been a work in progress at MU.  Has all of the athletic tools necessary - just hope he can put together the rest of his game - as I feel like Dominic, he's battled confidence problems in his game.  Vander's late season free throw shooting gives me hope his confidence is back...and that could translate into some great things for Vander and MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mugrad99

• Team Captain
wow,
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »
Uh, Saks 5th Avenue...the store. He was shopping, for suits I believe.  He was leaving for Italy shortly to play for an A league team.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
I truly don't understand the defensiveness. Perhaps the grocery comment was over the top, but to claim James was beyond reproach is silly. He WAS a great defensive player and was very athletic. Thats basically it as far as I'm concerned. He was a very good college player, one who IMO was very frustrating to watch and difficult to warm up to for whatever reason. Some of you react like your mother is being insulted.

Yes.... it was over the top, just like the following line:

I feel sorry for your mother knowing she birthed a child who wouldn't stand up for her.

Now then, the previous line is not to be taken seriously, because I don't know your mother and I don't know you.  Regardless, it's an inappropriate thing to say, just like it's inappropriate to imply that Dominic is "bagging groceries," especially given that - although I'm 99% sure this wasn't the intent or even a consideration - implying a black college graduate who is relegated to such a vocation could be misconstrued by someone to have a slight racial overtone.

In any event... next time, just say you're not a fan, you think he could/should have been better, and/or DJ's recruitment was nothing more than Crean lobbying for the IU job, and leave it at that.  Don't disparage a fellow MU alum, and don't stand up for people that do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:33:12 AM by Benny B »

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »
Was he bagging groceries?

The day you are as successful at anything as James is as basketball, is the day you can make that joke. Until that day comes, shut your mouth.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
Wadesworld, funny... a recycled joke late in the thread. Nice originality. To say those teams didn't underachieved is a joke. Granted, Tommy C was at the helm for three of them, but they underachieved none the less. Championships make winners, not fuzzy memories. They couldn't make it out of the second round. And let's not forget that Michigan State game. He did a good job against Valpo, outstanding. Beating Valpo is like being the prettiest girl in fat camp. Although he did graduate, which I do commend him on, as I think it looks bad when collegiate athletes don't graduate.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
And Benny B, your the one who brought up the racial overtone. Why would your mind even go there. Kurt Warner used to bag groceries, and he was a white college graduate. What you brought up is more ridiculous than my valid opinion.

feedback