[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ran into Dominic James this weekend  (Read 23888 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: ran into Dominic James this weekend
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
And Benny B, your the one who brought up the racial overtone. Why would your mind even go there. Kurt Warner used to bag groceries, and he was a white college graduate. What you brought up is more ridiculous than my valid opinion.

The comm majors may have a specific term for that, but I call that "crossing the bridge to the other side."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
You dont get more traditional than Kurt Warner
Bring back FFP!!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
Wadesworld, funny... a recycled joke late in the thread. Nice originality. To say those teams didn't underachieved is a joke. Granted, Tommy C was at the helm for three of them, but they underachieved none the less. Championships make winners, not fuzzy memories. They couldn't make it out of the second round. And let's not forget that Michigan State game. He did a good job against Valpo, outstanding. Beating Valpo is like being the prettiest girl in fat camp. Although he did graduate, which I do commend him on, as I think it looks bad when collegiate athletes don't graduate.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand your beef.

McNeal won the same amount. Same with Matthews. Do you think they are bagging groceries too? How about Ousmane?

Is winning your sole evaluation for if you like a player?

Oh, and the Valpo thing was just in response to the idea that he wasn't clutch. He made some big shots in his career.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
There are quite a few MU fans who don't like DJ because he never became the All-American and lottery pick that some (unfairly) projected him to be after his freshman season. It's similar to how many MU fans dislike Blue because he didn't dominate from day 1.

What's funny is if Cadougan puts up 11 points, 5 assists, 3 boards, 2 steals and shoots just 28.4% from 3 as a senior (same as DJ), some of those same fans would be singing his praises.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
There are quite a few MU fans who don't like DJ because he never became the All-American and lottery pick that some (unfairly) projected him to be after his freshman season. It's similar to how many MU fans dislike Blue because he didn't dominate from day 1.

What's funny is if Cadougan puts up 11 points, 5 assists, 3 boards, 2 steals and shoots just 28.4% from 3 as a senior (same as DJ), some of those same fans would be singing his praises.

Just don't get it as well.  For me, the proof was what happened to the team when he hurt his foot  his senior year.  We were not the same team without him.  Period.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
Oh, and he was heavily recruited by ND too.  He picked us.  ;D Nah, nah, nah, nah naaaah na. 

Yes, I have too much free time today at lunch. ;)

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »
Agree with everything here.
As do I. And a great guy too. 

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
Was he bagging groceries?
Dominic finally became a hero.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »

And that same sentiment is already being projected on the incoming recruiting class.  Yet.... none of Wojo's recruiting classes have played up to expectation.  Typically, false hope is a symptom of a lack of knowledge/perception.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »
And that same sentiment is already being projected on the incoming recruiting class.  Yet.... none of Wojo's recruiting classes have played up to expectation.  Typically, false hope is a symptom of a lack of knowledge/perception.

I don't think there's been a single person who's said they expect anyone (much less all) from the class of 2020 to become an All American and lottery pick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 09:24:25 AM »
I don't think there's been a single person who's said they expect anyone (much less all) from the class of 2020 to become an All American and lottery pick.
If you thought Dominic James was going to be a lottery pick then you probably are a ProWojer.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »
Dominic James was a Marquette great but I think fans (me included) are frustrated because
a) he didn't get better year on year (stats - wise)
b) he never learned to shoot.  Career .405 shooter, .286 from 3 and 62% free throws

As a freshman, I was 100% convinced he would be the next Allen Iverson... if he learned to shoot.  He had the athleticism, the confidence, and he played better D than AI ever did.  (AI had more steals, but James was a great on-ball defender). His problem was inconsistent form mainly caused by over-jumping on his shot.  it seemed that every time he jumped he had to jump as high as he possibly could, so every shot was off balance.  I don't know why Crean couldn't coach this out of him... maybe I should be disappointed with Crean and not James...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
If you thought Dominic James was going to be a lottery pick then you probably are a ProWojer.

Shifting the goalposts already.  Good idea.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »

Ha wow, resurrecting a thread from 2012 to get a current-events themed shot in at a quality former player? Quarantine fever!

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »

Henry Ellenson was projected to be a one and done, and he was.  While I would rank that overall class as average at best, Henry lived up to expectations for his freshman year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
Dominic James was a Marquette great but I think fans (me included) are frustrated because
a) he didn't get better year on year (stats - wise)
b) he never learned to shoot.  Career .405 shooter, .286 from 3 and 62% free throws

As a freshman, I was 100% convinced he would be the next Allen Iverson... if he learned to shoot.  He had the athleticism, the confidence, and he played better D than AI ever did.  (AI had more steals, but James was a great on-ball defender). His problem was inconsistent form mainly caused by over-jumping on his shot.  it seemed that every time he jumped he had to jump as high as he possibly could, so every shot was off balance.  I don't know why Crean couldn't coach this out of him... maybe I should be disappointed with Crean and not James...

DJ changed as a person after his freshman year. His ego grew out of control. He decided he could do things his way.  It's not an indictment on DJ but something not uncommon with high level athletes. A buddy coached Vander on the U17 team and tried to get Vander's jumper changed, it was so bad. Vander's excuse was "I made this team, I don't need to do s--t." DJ adopted the same attitude. His FT and 3 point percentages dropped throughout his college career.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2020, 10:15:31 PM »
DJ changed as a person after his freshman year. His ego grew out of control. He decided he could do things his way.  It's not an indictment on DJ but something not uncommon with high level athletes. A buddy coached Vander on the U17 team and tried to get Vander's jumper changed, it was so bad. Vander's excuse was "I made this team, I don't need to do s--t." DJ adopted the same attitude. His FT and 3 point percentages dropped throughout his college career.

Well, Vander did change his jumper between his sophomore and junior season. He eventually listened.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »

Why you hoopin?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »

Absolutely 100% dead wrong.
DJ worked with different shooting coaches/gurus.  He knew he had to become a far better shooter to reach his ultimate goal.  Just because u are a great athlete or practice a lot doenst make one a great shooter.  I guarantee there are thousands of guys that shot more jump shots than Steve Novak or Larry Bird, yet could never shoot like them.
Additionally, watch Vanders form and percentages over his three years.  Form transformed n percentage went way up.
U are full of crap.  Eerily like Chicos taking a BS assumption and stating it as fact because someone “important” that u know said it.  Its a shame the board cannot ever be rid of this sociopath.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:14:55 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
Absolutely 100% dead wrong.
DJ worked with different shooting coaches/gurus.  He knew he had to become a far better shooter to reach his ultimate goal.  Just because u are a great athlete or practice a lot doenst make one a great shooter.  I guarantee there are thousands of guys that shot more jump shots than Steve Novak or Larry Bird, yet could never shoot like them.
Additionally, watch Vanders form and percentages over his three years.  Form transformed n percentage went way up.
U are full of crap.  Eerily like Chicos taking a BS assumption and stating it as fact because someone “important” that u know said it.  Its a shame the board cannot ever be rid of this sociopath.

Just because Vander EVENTUALLY changed his form after years of refusing, including telling the U17 coach and eventual NBA GM 'nah, I'm good" doesn't make anyone full of crap. It just seems some people are threatened when others challenge their world view and have to resort to childish name-calling. Sad.

And if DJ did indeed hire shooting coaches I hope he didn't pay.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Just because Vander EVENTUALLY changed his form after years of refusing, including telling the U17 coach and eventual NBA GM 'nah, I'm good" doesn't make anyone full of crap. It just seems some people are threatened when others challenge their world view and have to resort to childish name-calling. Sad.

And if DJ did indeed hire shooting coaches I hope he didn't pay.

So Vander thinking he was too good to change his shooting form is why we don’t want kids like him at MU?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
at Sak's in Indy. Was leaving for Italy shortly. Nice as always. He and Buzz still talk weekly.

Friends of mine ran into Jimmy B in France last summer. he also said he talks to Buzz "all the time".

Class71

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
My mouth is wide open. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this thread who have never won anything. They should all open their mouths, too. I'm not a fan of DJ, get over it. Also, no one answered my question, was he bagging groceries or not?

Cheap comment.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
The slander on Dominic James by our own fans is one I will never understand.  And the fact that bubba quoted his own stupid comment 8 years later tells me all I need to know about his character.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback