Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Suspended  (Read 24379 times)

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
Todd Mayo Suspended
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:13 AM »
Todd Mayo has been suspended for academics. He is currently taking summer classes.

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Suspended
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »
Can summer classes fix it in time for the season?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »
Just like high school, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
Not finding anything about this online or on Twitter...any more details?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
Nothing official, just stolen from the scout insider board...

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
In some respect I'd consider that "good" in that it suggests he'll be back once he gets things in order.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
Is this one of those "offseason-only suspensions" that I like to make fun of when other schools do it? Shoot. I guess I'll have to poke fun at MU now too.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
The mods are pausing for a moment while we frown upon taking info from Scout's premium board.  >:(

--

Not sure what effect a suspension has.  So he can't practice with the team that can't practice until October anyhow?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Does this bar him from all of the team's facilities. I would imagine he is not able to practice at the Al with the guys right now. I am ecstatic that this is the only fire behind the smoke. Hopefully he gets it together.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
The mods are pausing for a moment while we frown upon taking info from Scout's premium board.  >:(

--

Not sure what effect a suspension has.  So he can't practice with the team that can't practice until October anyhow?

sounds like a great time to be suspended!  The question is how will it affect his playing time?  He can still be in the gym and take part in open gym, and probably the pro-am... Sooooo like topper said, what is the real negative effect for Todd?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

--

Team activities and individual workouts, I'm guessing. The first summer session ends Saturday, so we might have an idea soon.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
sounds like a great time to be suspended!...what is the real negative effect for Todd?

Wow, quite the positive post. The amount of money and resources Marquette/Buzz invests in these players and he can't maintain a 2.0? Reflects poorly on the program if you ask me. I've read many stories about recruits interactions with Buzz, they always mention how he primarily talks about life, school, faith, family, etc....events like this hurt credibility. Speaks to Todd's lack of maturity we saw on the court at times last year. Hopefully it's a wake up call.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
It shouldn't be a negative for buzz, he can't take all of the players tests for them.  You are bound to have kids that don't do well in school, doesn't mean the coach is doing something wrong. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
Is this one of those "offseason-only suspensions" that I like to make fun of when other schools do it? Shoot. I guess I'll have to poke fun at MU now too.

It would seem so.

This means nothing to me unless he starts missing time when practice starts in October.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
In all fairness, when are you supposed to suspend a frosh. basketball player?

He might have been ok first semester, and then struggled to finish up strong in the spring. Are they supposed to wait until fall to suspend him? Why not do it now and push him hard in summer school.

Plus, do we know if this is a NCAA mandated type of thing, or is this a Buzz trying to motivate a player type of thing?

Mayo might be technically eligible (I don't know), and this might be MU motivating a kid who is on the boarderline.

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
This may not just be an offseason suspension. There could be other reasons that he is not able to take part in team activities, mainly that he is not enrolled in classes here for the summer. Not saying he won't be this fall, but why would Mayo be in Milwaukee if he was suspended from the team? Possibly failed or dropped his summer classes and now he can't take part in team activities. Sounds much more plausible than just suspended from the team...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
This may not just be an offseason suspension. There could be other reasons that he is not able to take part in team activities, mainly that he is not enrolled in classes here for the summer. Not saying he won't be this fall, but why would Mayo be in Milwaukee if he was suspended from the team? Possibly failed or dropped his summer classes and now he can't take part in team activities. Sounds much more plausible than just suspended from the team...

No he is suspended for academic reasons, and when you are suspended you cannot participate in team activities.  He very well could be taking classes elsewhere (MATC) that he could transfer to Marquette.

He has both summer sessions to make up for any deficiencies, and I don't think he can be reinstated prior to the end of the second summer session.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
It would seem so.

This means nothing to me unless he starts missing time when practice starts in October.

Let me go out on a limb here and say that if he isn't off suspension by the end of the summer, he won't even be here when school starts.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »
The amount of money and resources Marquette/Buzz invests in these players and he can't maintain a 2.0? Reflects poorly on the program if you ask me.

I'd say it reflects poorly on the individual who does not take advantage of the resources available to him.  I also hope it's an effective wake up call.

You can lead a horse to water.....
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »
If I have my facts straight, Mayo has been to a different school every year since 8th grade.  Hard to break a pattern like that.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »
No reflection on Buzz at all IMO. The kids know what is expecting of them and all the tools are there for them to succeed. If any fails it because they were flat out lazy or in way over their head academically.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
Please don't tell me this is just a rumor stemming from Todd not being at the BBQ yesterday...

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
I think it reflects poorly on Todd, Buzz, and the whole program.  That might be unfair, but it creates a certain public perception.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
The mods are pausing for a moment while we frown upon taking info from Scout's premium board.  >:(

--

Maybe the point is that the info wasn't meant to be leaked any further than that.  But you don't care about that, do you?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »
Please don't tell me this is just a rumor stemming from Todd not being at the BBQ yesterday...

Nope.  He is suspended.  My understanding is that he almost didn't remain eligible during the year last year.