Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Suspended  (Read 24356 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Suspended
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
If he's not taking classes and can't participate in team activities, what's the point of being in Milwaukee?
Summerfest?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Clearly we all hope that he gets his grades up and is eligible come fall, but in the mean time if he isn't in Milwaukee then I'm guessing he is in LA again working out with his bro and all the other pros he worked out with last summer. Going up against those guys day in day out can only help us on the court, it's up to him to improve off the court.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
And none of your post or anyone else's post have speculation??? What part do you not believe is accurate. I can tell you that everything I said is accurate from what I have heard. Everyone is committed to this idea of Hiroshima and increased standards, but they have no facts besides speculation that any of that is true.

I would also like to clairfy, when I mean enrolled i mean just for the summer. From what I have heard Todd dropped his summer classes from failing them. He did this to keep his GPA above the line for the fall. So Sultan where do you believe I am not accurate? Or is your speculation just right?

What I have been told....

Todd's GPA was below the threshold to end the year....not sure if it was old or new standards...
Todd has been enrolled during the summer...
Todd did fine during the first summer session....
Todd continues to be enrolled...the reason he isn't involved with team activities doesn't have to do with enrollment...

OK?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
What I have been told....

Todd's GPA was below the threshold to end the year....not sure if it was old or new standards...
Todd has been enrolled during the summer...
Todd did fine during the first summer session....
Todd continues to be enrolled...the reason he isn't involved with team activities doesn't have to do with enrollment...

OK?

Not involved in team activities.  Hopefully that means he is involved in studying with his academic advisors and b-ball is on back burner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
Is first session over? I thought it ended this week.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
It does end this week.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
Sorry...I meant "doing well."  But apparently he is doing well this session from what I have been told.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
It sure is annoying to see this stuff pop up. I know these athletes are asked to do a lot and put in a lot of work, but essentially the expectations placed on them:

- keep passing grades
- don't get arrested/violate the law
- show up on time for practice/training

Why is this so impossible for a large number of college athletes? I am sick of hearing about athletes on our team (and others) failing at these incredibly basic tasks. For the amount of resources devoted to them as D1 athletes, it absolutely boggles my mind how some of them struggle. They have tutors/staff/administrators whose jobs are simply to ensure that they succeed. I don't know the situation with Todd, but I find it hard to be sympathetic toward him.

This also was impossible for two guys on my floor freshman year; they never saw their sophomore year. It also was impossible for my very intelligent son (3.6 GPA in high school; 30 on ACT), who didn't do the work during his one year at a Big Ten school and was kicked out of school.

And none of the above had anything close to the demands a D-1 athlete faces.

Not to excuse Mayo at all, just stating facts. Some are college material and some really aren't. That applies to jocks and non-jocks. At most schools, including Marquette if I'm not mistaken, jocks have better graduation rates than non-jocks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
I believe and don't know how others feel, but a 2.0 is a fair barometer for athlete's grade.  If one cannot attain that level then maybe they should not be on a team. 

2.0 is fair barometer for any student.

Even I had a 2.0, and I pretty much treated every class as optional.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »
Who said they did anything retroactively?
What's your basis for saying Todd "likely" meets NCAA standards? Do you have access to his transcripts?

Do you see raising the GPA two-tenths of one point for incoming sophomores and one-tenth of one point for incoming juniors as Hiroshima?
Grasping at straws, my man.

1. When Todd signed his LOI the requirement for eligibility after freshman year at Marquette was the NCAA requirement (1.8). That remained the requirement when he enrolled. I don't think it was changed until at least the second semester, but any time after his commitment/enrollment makes it retroactive.
2. You're right, "likely" is a poor choice of words, but he was close enough to a 2.0 to make summer school a possibility for reaching that threshold.
3.Do I think .2 of a point (11.1%) is that big of a deal? Well if Todd Mayo ends up with a 1.8 or a 1.9 or a 1.99 after summer school (good enough at Duke, Stanford, UW, etc.) and Marquette 86s him, then yes, I think it's a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:14:16 PM by Lennys Tap »

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Im still waiting for the goofy wisco people to get down on this.. even tho,
Wisco’s Greg Stiemsma,  and Marcus Landry , were  academically ineligible back in  2006, and it seem to work out ok for them..

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
3.Do I think .2 of a point (10.1%) is that big of a deal? Well if Todd Mayo ends up with a 1.8 or a 1.9 or a 1.99 after summer school (good enough at Duke, Stanford, UW, etc.) and Marquette 86s him, then yes, I think it's a big deal.

Like a "Hiroshima big deal", or Korean Conflict big deal?

What if todd ends up with a 1.79, then shame on todd for being a frack up?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

What if todd ends up with a 1.79, then shame on todd for being a frack up?

Exactly. There has to be a cutoff. I'm okay with using the same one Stanford, Duke and UW use. Especially if the rule changed in midstream.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Especially if the rule changed in midstream.

no man can change anything in midstream!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
Exactly. There has to be a cutoff. I'm okay with using the same one Stanford, Duke and UW use. Especially if the rule changed in midstream.

Alright.

I'll save my outrage until I hear if he got a 1.79, or a 1.8.

If this goes the wrong way, prepare for Nagasaki.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »
1. When Todd signed his LOI the requirement for eligibility after freshman year at Marquette was the NCAA requirement (1.8). That remained the requirement when he enrolled. I don't think it was changed until at least the second semester, but any time after his commitment/enrollment makes it retroactive.

Are you suggesting that any change in policy during the entirety of Todd's tenure at MU would be retroactive, regardless of when it was actually enacted?
Anyhow, a scholarship is only good for one year.  

2. You're right, "likely" is a poor choice of words, but he was close enough to a 2.0 to make summer school a possibility for reaching that threshold.

You're right, a 1.8 and a 2.0 are awfully close. Like, the difference between a 'C' and 'D' in one class close. Which is why I find all the hand-wringing so funny. It's not as if these kids are suddenly being required to pull 3.5 averages. They're being required to do a wee bit better. They're being required to be a 'C' student (gasp!). In today's era of grade inflation, you almost have to try not to be at least a 'C' student. The average GPA at U.S. colleges has risen from a 2.9 to a 3.1 in the last 15 years. So, being a 2.0 student means you're way below average. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

3.Do I think .2 of a point (11.1%) is that big of a deal? Well if Todd Mayo ends up with a 1.8 or a 1.9 or a 1.99 after summer school (good enough at Duke, Stanford, UW, etc.) and Marquette 86s him, then yes, I think it's a big deal.

I didn't ask about a "big deal." I asked about "Hiroshima." That said, if a kid given free access to tutors and a host of other special academic resources can't pull a 2.0 while taking only four classes a semester, perhaps he's not cut out for college. If 12 other kids on the roster can manage it (and, in fact, most of them have tougher requirements), he can too. And if he doesn't, it's no one's fault but his own.
Oh, and all of the above assumes the new requirements are being enforced retroactively, which we don't know the be the case.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Oh, and all of the above assumes the new requirements are being enforced retroactively, which we don't know the be the case.

But LW is an pretty boy, so we pretty much know he's trying to screw this up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
But LW is a football playing Domer pretty boy, so we pretty much know he's trying to screw this up.

Fixed.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
But LW is a football playing Domer pretty boy who is teaming up with Father Pilarz to turn MU into SLU, so we pretty much know they trying are to screw this up.

Fixed.

Refined further...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
 i hope todd sticks with it, grows, and appreciates that buzz and mu are willing to help him through a period in which he is able to grow up a great deal.  kudos to mu and buzz for understanding that kids have diverse backgrounds and not being afraid to put in the extra work to help these kids.  to me, it goes hand and hand with what the university should be about.  

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
avid1010 hit it perfect, thats how I see it. I hope he can work it out and won't give up like maybe he did in the past!
Buzz has done very well with young men that have had hell to pay in life.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:55:19 PM by Blueprint »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Ahhh, that explains why Buzz didn't mention Todd at the BBQ, after mentioning all other returning players.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
As someone who worked with several of the athletes including TM, it's on him. That said I'm very excited to hear he did well in the first semester and hope he continues to do well. Nice kid with a great game.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
Somebody enroll Todd in History of Jazz. 

Good ol' Grams is no longer around. I'm not sure if its offered anymore.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback