[Today at 11:07:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MUbiz
[Today at 08:16:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Suspended  (Read 24490 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Suspended
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
He is not with the team again this week at camp (I ask my son every day). Someone in another thread from last week said he was on campus though.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
I'd say it reflects poorly on the individual who does not take advantage of the resources available to him.  I also hope it's an effective wake up call.

You can lead a horse to water.....

Not to be a dick AZWarrior - But we could also say it reflects poorly on the individual who judges another individual's academics without knowing a whole lot about the situation.  Mayo attended, I believe, 4 different high schools, moved around a lot - the only constant thing in his life has been basketball.

We also know there have been numerous rumors that MU was raising its academic/eligibility standards above NCAA minimums.  If no credence to the rumors, how did they get started?  Though the gomarquette.com website doesn't reflect any changes to the standards, the content for that site is certainly controlled by the people who oversee the athletic department - namely the person rumored to be behind the raised academic standards for athletes.  The same person who has taken some heat from some alums, and who's popularity isn't exactly off the charts.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Nope.  He is suspended.  My understanding is that he almost didn't remain eligible during the year last year.

Interesting.  So if he was able to remain eligible during last season, why would he be suspended over the summer??  Can we find any NCAA policy that dictates this?  Don't ever recall hearing a player being suspended over the summer for academics?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
Interesting.  So if he was able to remain eligible during last season, why would he be suspended over the summer??  Can we find any NCAA policy that dictates this?  Don't ever recall hearing a player being suspended over the summer for academics?

Classes don't end until after March Madness. At most, his eligibility would have been impacted by mid-term grades. That has nothing to do with the grades he would have received in May. So if his grades were down by the end of the school year, it makes perfect sense that the suspension would start to take effect and need to be corrected in the summer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

No he is suspended for academic reasons, and when you are suspended you cannot participate in team activities.  He very well could be taking classes elsewhere (MATC) that he could transfer to Marquette.

He has both summer sessions to make up for any deficiencies, and I don't think he can be reinstated prior to the end of the second summer session.

He has to be taking the classes at Marquette to help his GPA.  I was there from 04-08 and they didn't allow the grades to transfer from other institutions.  It was just a "completed" type grade if you transferred the credits.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Maybe the point is that the info wasn't meant to be leaked any further than that.  But you don't care about that, do you?

Ok, first "leaked any further than that" is lunacy.  "Leak it, but only so far, to a select group of people who pay for leaks, then no further."?  Uh huh.

In any event, I cared enough to remind people of our policy.  It is a bell that can't be unrung at this point. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Maybe the point is that the info wasn't meant to be leaked any further than that.  But you don't care about that, do you?

Dodds posted something similiar on the Scout free board at 12:37 AM.  This thread was started after 1AM.  Maybe you can take up the value of your membership and its info with him.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
Dodds posted something similiar on the Scout free board at 12:37 AM.  This thread was started after 1AM.  Maybe you can take up the value of your membership and its info with him.

Game, set, match.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
It shouldn't be a negative for buzz, he can't take all of the players tests for them.  You are bound to have kids that don't do well in school, doesn't mean the coach is doing something wrong. 

+1

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Not to be a dick AZWarrior - But we could also say it reflects poorly on the individual who judges another individual's academics

No worries, Ners.  I agree that everything you say is plausible, though much is not known or knowable (by us).  I will still assign the bulk of responsibility to the player.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches
Guard Todd Mayo has been suspended from basketball activities for a violation of team rules, a source confirmed. No timetable for his return

Violation of team rules=Academics??

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Lots of FR struggle a bit with School.  I think everybody that does not know the situation personally should refrain from making coments.  It sound like he knows what he needs to do and is in school trying to get that done.  I hope he does. If that is at the end of summer or even the end of the 1st semester.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Not to be a dick AZWarrior - But we could also say it reflects poorly on the individual who judges another individual's academics without knowing a whole lot about the situation.  Mayo attended, I believe, 4 different high schools, moved around a lot - the only constant thing in his life has been basketball.

We also know there have been numerous rumors that MU was raising its academic/eligibility standards above NCAA minimums.  If no credence to the rumors, how did they get started?

This is the ultimate in circular logic. If a rumor isn't true, then how come there's a rumor?
Though I'm shocked you found a way to spin this on to Larry Williams.

Sometimes when you take on a kid who's an academic risk it leads to eligibility issues. Todd Mayo, given his background, was an academic risk. After all, most kids his age are close to finishing college, not just starting it. It's not the first time this has happened at MU, nor will it be the last. If Todd fails to qualify, it's not the fault of Buzz Williams, Larry Williams or Marquette University. It'll be Todd's fault.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
Somebody enroll Todd in History of Jazz. 

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
It sure is annoying to see this stuff pop up. I know these athletes are asked to do a lot and put in a lot of work, but essentially the expectations placed on them:

- keep passing grades
- don't get arrested/violate the law
- show up on time for practice/training

Why is this so impossible for a large number of college athletes? I am sick of hearing about athletes on our team (and others) failing at these incredibly basic tasks. For the amount of resources devoted to them as D1 athletes, it absolutely boggles my mind how some of them struggle. They have tutors/staff/administrators whose jobs are simply to ensure that they succeed. I don't know the situation with Todd, but I find it hard to be sympathetic toward him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
Within the last two weeks MU has posted academic requirements that exceed those required by the NCAA.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
I think it reflects poorly on Todd, Buzz, and the whole program.  That might be unfair, but it creates a certain public perception.

No, it reflects well on our program.   What is one of the most frequent criticisms from our friends to the west?    That all of the basketball players are not held academically responsible, that they just get rubber-stamped through.    That Todd failed to meet academic standards and now has to get his grades in order before he can rejoin the team sends a huge message.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
Big difference between being suspended and being ineligible.  If both, it's unfortunate.  If it's just a suspension by Buzz (b/c of LW) I might say it reflects favorably on the program in some respects.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
No, it reflects well on our program.   What is one of the most frequent criticisms from our friends to the west?    That all of the basketball players are not held academically responsible, that they just get rubber-stamped through.    That Todd failed to meet academic standards and now has to get his grades in order before he can rejoin the team sends a huge message.    

I think that's really trying to find a silver lining in this.  It's never a good thing when one of your players is academically ineligible(if it is in fact all true).  Anyway you slice it, someone isn't getting the job done.  Having said that, MU has an awesome academic track record and one that I am very proud of as an alum, but the bottom line is that it's disappointing when a player can't cut it academically.  They all get the help/assistance they need, it's whether or not they care enough to pull the grades.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
I think it reflects poorly on Todd, Buzz, and the whole program.  That might be unfair, but it creates a certain public perception.

I disagree.  I think it reflects POSITIVELY on the program and on the general perception of the program.  It means that Marquette takes academics seriously and doesn't just push kids through so they can play.  It means if you're on the floor in a Marquette uniform you are doing your job in the classroom.  If this happened at another school, that is what I would think about the situation.  

It may negatively effect the perception of the program to incoming athletes, however, and that could be a problem.

Addendum:  Sorry tower912.  If I had read your post before I replied I'd have just stuck a +1 after it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:34:10 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
So the academic standards were raised and now the long rumored Mayo suspension is here?  Wonder what madtownwarrior thinks about all of this.  Clearly we were all idiots for discussing this before.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »
Ok, first "leaked any further than that" is lunacy.  "Leak it, but only so far, to a select group of people who pay for leaks, then no further."?  Uh huh.

In any event, I cared enough to remind people of our policy.  It is a bell that can't be unrung at this point. 
I did not post anything about this until Dodds posted on the free board at Scout. Just letting you know it was widely talked about at the BBQ yesterday. Things get spread easily by word of mouth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
I think that's really trying to find a silver lining in this.  It's never a good thing when one of your players is academically ineligible(if it is in fact all true).  Anyway you slice it, someone isn't getting the job done.  Having said that, MU has an awesome academic track record and one that I am very proud of as an alum, but the bottom line is that it's disappointing when a player can't cut it academically.  They all get the help/assistance they need, it's whether or not they care enough to pull the grades.

I see Todd as the exception that proves the rule.   MU argues that it holds the players accountable but thanks to the world class academic support, >90% graduate.   Wiscy-fan argues that MU just rubber stamps the athletes and is no better than a JUCO/diploma factory.    This proves that (A) MU athletes are held academically accountable (B) ergo the academic support must be world class for MU to have such a high graduation rate, and (C) sometimes even with the best efforts and support students fall short.   Hopefully this is a short term setback and a way can be found to help Todd with his education.    Sometimes it is just a matter of finding a more effective way to teach, as the student learns differently.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JD

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Mayo to UCONN?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
Maybe the point is that the info wasn't meant to be leaked any further than that.  But you don't care about that, do you?

Statements like this make me hate the other board even more.

feedback