[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 71865 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
Melvin is good at making blockbuster trades but not good at signing free agents. That Ramirez contract is killing me right now.

Aram is not a March/April/May player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »
Too early to sell now.  At one point last year, they were 14-20.  Plenty of time to turn it around.

Agreed.  Losing Gamel obviously isn't a good thing, but this is not the same as losing Prince Fielder.  This is not an All-Star first baseman, and it never has been.  With an extra Wild Card spot in play, it was obvious the Brewers wouldn't be as good this year as last year, but Gamel and Narveson can both be replaced (again, obviously not good to have those 2 out for the season, but it's a 5th starter and a #7 hitter who has never hit at the MLB level).  Maybe Melvin makes a trade for a solid player who can fill in at short (or they finally, finally, mercifully move Hart to 1st and get Aoki in right and hitting 1...come on Ronald, it's time to realize that Rickie Weeks is not, has never been, and will never be a leadoff hitter...and if a team is going to buy Rickie, SELL HIM whether we are in contention or not!).

But the point is, at this point there is no point in looking at selling.  We're what, 35ish games into a 162 game season?  Aramis will get going, Braun will still be a top 5 player, Hart will be good, Weeks HAS to pick it up at least a LITTLE bit, Gonzalez and Lucroy will be solid.  The pitching will get stronger, but not as good as last year.  We will compete.  My money is we miss the Playoffs, but I would be more surprised if we are out of it early than if we won the division.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
Agreed.  Losing Gamel obviously isn't a good thing, but this is not the same as losing Prince Fielder.  This is not an All-Star first baseman, and it never has been.  With an extra Wild Card spot in play, it was obvious the Brewers wouldn't be as good this year as last year, but Gamel and Narveson can both be replaced (again, obviously not good to have those 2 out for the season, but it's a 5th starter and a #7 hitter who has never hit at the MLB level).  Maybe Melvin makes a trade for a solid player who can fill in at short (or they finally, finally, mercifully move Hart to 1st and get Aoki in right and hitting 1...come on Ronald, it's time to realize that Rickie Weeks is not, has never been, and will never be a leadoff hitter...and if a team is going to buy Rickie, SELL HIM whether we are in contention or not!).
But the point is, at this point there is no point in looking at selling.  We're what, 35ish games into a 162 game season?  Aramis will get going, Braun will still be a top 5 player, Hart will be good, Weeks HAS to pick it up at least a LITTLE bit, Gonzalez and Lucroy will be solid.  The pitching will get stronger, but not as good as last year.  We will compete.  My money is we miss the Playoffs, but I would be more surprised if we are out of it early than if we won the division.

I agree with a lot of this. But for me, the biggest issue is that this team is not as good as last year's team, which already wasnt good enough. Pitching is worse, lineup is worse, bullpen is worse. So at that point, you need to hope to be the hottest team in the playoffs, and I just dont see it with this squad. Losing Gamel isn't like losing Prince, but now we've lost Gamel and Prince. Went from Prince to Travis Ishikawa, who was a castoff from the team starting Brandon Belt and Aubrey Huff at the position.

So while I agree that the Crew should largely wait to sell for another month +, my only concern is the diminishing returns they might enjoy with a guy like Marcum. Anyone who buys Marcum buys on the regular season #s - especially after last years disastrous playoff run. So if you can get something for him now from a team like the Angels or Detroit that have end-of-the-rotation issues, I think you do it. At the deadline, teams who know they're in the playoffs won't be interested, because he won't make their playoff rotation.

I just think that with one of baseball's worst farm systems, and maybe another half decade of this kind of production from Braun, the team has better odds of doing something special if they rearm for another chance to sell the farm in 3-4 years than they do by trying to win today.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »
Agreed.  Losing Gamel obviously isn't a good thing, but this is not the same as losing Prince Fielder.  This is not an All-Star first baseman, and it never has been.  With an extra Wild Card spot in play, it was obvious the Brewers wouldn't be as good this year as last year, but Gamel and Narveson can both be replaced (again, obviously not good to have those 2 out for the season, but it's a 5th starter and a #7 hitter who has never hit at the MLB level).  Maybe Melvin makes a trade for a solid player who can fill in at short (or they finally, finally, mercifully move Hart to 1st and get Aoki in right and hitting 1...come on Ronald, it's time to realize that Rickie Weeks is not, has never been, and will never be a leadoff hitter...and if a team is going to buy Rickie, SELL HIM whether we are in contention or not!).

But the point is, at this point there is no point in looking at selling.  We're what, 35ish games into a 162 game season?  Aramis will get going, Braun will still be a top 5 player, Hart will be good, Weeks HAS to pick it up at least a LITTLE bit, Gonzalez and Lucroy will be solid.  The pitching will get stronger, but not as good as last year.  We will compete.  My money is we miss the Playoffs, but I would be more surprised if we are out of it early than if we won the division.

Talking about selling now is premature, but more just in the sense that a clear market of buyers and sellers has yet to sort itself out.  You're right, its far too early, but I guess I'm just not as optimistic about this year's team, and I think that restocking the farm for a run in 2-4 years is better than, say, signing Derek Lee (which is being tossed around per mlbtraderumors.com).  

There is no doubt this team can play better.  As to Rickie, he's striking out at a higher clip than the last few years, which is concerning, but his walk rate is also up, and his BABIP is .217.  .217!!!! That's horrendous luck so far.  I agree that he's not a leadoff hitter, or, at least that his talent is better used elsewhere in a lineup, but he's not a bad player by any means, he's having a rough start to a year.  

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
+1 If Greinke doesnt sign the extension by the trade deadline we need to trade him for prospects. Maybe a top 1B prospect? Anthony Rizzo is a 22 year old 1B in the Cubs AAA system hitting .375 with 7 homers so far but his spot is blocked in the bigs by LaHair. BRAUN WILL NEVER BE TRADED.

Seriously????

Rizzo is the future 1B of the Cubs.  He was drafted by Boston when Jed was there.  Then Jed traded for him (in the A. Gonzalez deal) when he was in SD.  Now Jed trades to get him in Chicago.  NO CHANCE Rizzo gets traded.  LaHair either moves to corner outfield or is playing in a different city come July.

Edited to add:  What would the Cubs want with a half-season of Greinke when they will be 10-20 games under .500 in July?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:31:25 AM by copious1218 »

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:40 AM »

Greinke can be worth something for sure.

This could be interesting this year.  My understanding is that as of this season, a team that trades for a rental WILL NOT get the compensatory picks if he leaves via free agency.  I remember seeing somewhere that the player must be on your roster for one year in order to get the compensatory picks. 

That could lower what teams are willing to offer for players in the last year of their contracts. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
The Tigers were never able to score off of him, so I have always had a respectful hate of Mariano Rivera, but I feel awful for him.     Shagging flies like he had before every game for his entire career and he blows out his knee.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
The Tigers were never able to score off of him, so I have always had a respectful hate of Mariano Rivera, but I feel awful for him.  Shagging flies like he had before every game for his entire career and he blows out his knee.    

Yeah, its truly a sad day for baseball.  Deadspin had a pretty cool article just observing ten years of New York papers theorizing that Mo was too old and washed up.  One of the in-retrospect funniest lines, referring to some bout of struggles for Mo:

"Remember when the Yankees went after Goose Gossage even though they had Sparky Lyle? When does George start giving Eric Gagne the eye?"

Definitely the greatest closer ever, and one of the best pitchers of my lifetime.  Really sad to see it possibly end like that.  

http://deadspin.com/5901123/10-years-of-newspapers-declaring-that-mariano-rivera-is-too-old?tag=marianorivera

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
Seriously????

Rizzo is the future 1B of the Cubs.  He was drafted by Boston when Jed was there.  Then Jed traded for him (in the A. Gonzalez deal) when he was in SD.  Now Jed trades to get him in Chicago.  NO CHANCE Rizzo gets traded.  LaHair either moves to corner outfield or is playing in a different city come July.

Edited to add:  What would the Cubs want with a half-season of Greinke when they will be 10-20 games under .500 in July?

Rizzo has been traded twice and it could happen again. Yes, Jed loves him obviously but he has dumped him twice only to pick him up on a differnet team. The way LaHair is playing I doubt they will dump him or change his position. He isn't an outfielder. It is an outside shot something like this would happen thought I'm just throwing out ideas. We have Nick Ramirez who we drafted last year who I like. Hit .380 in 25 games with 8 HR's in the rookie league before he got moved up to A ball where he really slowed down. There's this HS 1B named Joey Gallo from the same HS as Shabazz Muhammad, he's 6'4 200 lbs called the best power prospect in the draft. Was rated top 25 pick but has dropped a few spots in the last rankings. We have picks 27,28 and he's rated around #30. Scouts say he has the potential to hit 40+ HR in the big leagues.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
Brewers should look at what the Rangers are doing. Raising their drafted prospects along with signing international players. Last July the Rangers signed 2 top Dominican 16 year olds both being called future stars. A month or two later they signed another top Dominican 16 year old. The Marcum trade was a one year success, back to reality it is. Now that we have depleted our farm system the future looks bleak.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:16 PM »
We've had the most devastating group of injuries the ast week that I can remember this team having. Losing Narveson, Gamel, Gonzalez, 3 starters for the year, and Gomez out for undetermined amount of time with a hobbled Braun. They better be careful with his achilles. Don't want to see what happened to Ryan Howard all over again.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
Rizzo has been traded twice and it could happen again. Yes, Jed loves him obviously but he has dumped him twice only to pick him up on a differnet team. The way LaHair is playing I doubt they will dump him or change his position. He isn't an outfielder. It is an outside shot something like this would happen thought I'm just throwing out ideas. We have Nick Ramirez who we drafted last year who I like. Hit .380 in 25 games with 8 HR's in the rookie league before he got moved up to A ball where he really slowed down. There's this HS 1B named Joey Gallo from the same HS as Shabazz Muhammad, he's 6'4 200 lbs called the best power prospect in the draft. Was rated top 25 pick but has dropped a few spots in the last rankings. We have picks 27,28 and he's rated around #30. Scouts say he has the potential to hit 40+ HR in the big leagues.

Wrong.  Jed has NEVER dumped Rizzo.  He drafted Rizzo when he was in Boston.  Then, after Jed went to be the GM of San Diego, he GOT Rizzo as part of the Adrian Gonzalez trade.  And then, after coming to Chicago, he traded FOR Rizzo again.  Not to mention, Rizzo is 22, LaHair is 29.  And LaHair has played the corner outfield spots both in the minors and for the Cubs.

And the Cubs will not be buyers at the deadline - I ask again, why would the Cubs trade a left-handed power hitting first baseman who is 22, for a few months of Greinke?  Answer - never going to happen.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »

And the Cubs will not be buyers at the deadline - I ask again, why would the Cubs trade a left-handed power hitting first baseman who is 22, for a few months of Greinke?  Answer - never going to happen.

Wait. Why would the Cubs trade anything for Greinke? This whole argument is flawed right there.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
Wait. Why would the Cubs trade anything for Greinke? This whole argument is flawed right there.

They wouldn't.  That's the point I was attempting to make in my long-winded response.  But I was responding specifically to the poster claiming the Brewers could get Rizzo. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »

Should the Cubs throw in Castro and Brett Jackson too? If anything, the Cubs would dump LaHair at the deadline to try to get a couple average prospects.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
They wouldn't.  That's the point I was attempting to make in my long-winded response.  But I was responding specifically to the poster claiming the Brewers could get Rizzo. 

I wish the Brewers could get Rizzo but I know I'm just dreaming up scenarios. I have heard rumors with the Brewers about signing Derrek Lee, or trading for Red Sox 1B prospect Lars Anderson who has fallen off the radar. But he strikes out a lot. Maybe the best choice at this point is to draft someone like Gallo.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
I wish the Brewers could get Rizzo but I know I'm just dreaming up scenarios. I have heard rumors with the Brewers about signing Derrek Lee, or trading for Red Sox 1B prospect Lars Anderson who has fallen off the radar. But he strikes out a lot. Maybe the best choice at this point is to draft someone like Gallo.

Matt LaPorta would be available for the right offer.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

Kevin Youkilis is probably on the block now, too, with the emergence of Middlebrooks.  Youk is one year removed from a 5 year streak of excellent (average season = .297 21 85, 2nd highest OBP in AL, .903 OPS, GG quality defense).  Health a big concern, but Red Sox will likely pick up a chunk of his salary.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

eh Laporta was a bust in his time in the majors I know he's raking so far this year but it could be a bad choice.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
Now that they have the one game playoff for wild card teams will that count as a post season appearance? I believe the Yankees have 50 (maybe 49) post season appearances since 1921.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Now that they have the one game playoff for wild card teams will that count as a post season appearance? I believe the Yankees have 50 (maybe 49) post season appearances since 1921.

Yes I think it will but a few years back when as an example the Twins played the White Sox in a 1 game playoff it says on the White Sox postseason history on ESPN that that apparently doesn't count as a playoff appearance, so maybe it will maybe it won't but I think it will.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
Yes I think it will but a few years back when as an example the Twins played the White Sox in a 1 game playoff it says on the White Sox postseason history on ESPN that that apparently doesn't count as a playoff appearance, so maybe it will maybe it won't but I think it will.

When the White Sox beat the twins in that game it was not a playoff game but "an extension" of the regular season to determine the division winner.  The wild card teams have made the playoffs and the game will be counted as a playoff game.  You are right it will count as a playoff game.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Josh Hamilton Brewers Rumors
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
There's some rumors going around baseball that the Brewers may make a push at Josh Hamilton next offseason.

http://brewcrewcentral.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/what-should-the-brewers-do-and-the-josh-hamilton-rumors/

Also heard this rumor last night on the MLB channel. They also mentioned a possible K-Rod for Kevin Youkilis on the Red Sox deal? Said it would work out for both teams. But back to the Hamilton rumors it says Texas has offered him extensions for 4 or 5 years but for under 100 million because they are worried about his age, 31, his injury problems, averaging almost 50 games missed the past 3 years, and his past drug problems. Hamilton has told Texas he won't give them a hometeam bias. The Brewers have 50 million available on the payroll next year, but they are currently trying to get Greinke to sign an extension and he will probably get a paycheck of 15-20 million. So assuming it would work out down the road we could offer a deal of maybe 6-7 years of 140-150 million? Hamilton is a former #1 overall pick and has been the best overall player in the big leagues the past few years, winning the MVP 2 years ago and currently leading for the first triple crown in awhile (I'm not sure when the last one was) When he is on, he is better than Braun. I think it is worth a shot. Since other teams are iffy on him, we could stand out if we make a big offer.

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Josh Hamilton Brewers Rumors
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
If we don't pay Fielder's price for a guy that is younger and much more durable, there is no way we go after Hamilton. I think the rumors stem from Hamilton's mentor being the new Brewers hitting coach. I would be shocked, but also thrilled if we got Hamilton. However, he has only averaged about 125 games.  I highly doubt he gets Fielder money, but he isn't nearly as durable as Prince.

As for K-Rod, I wouldn't mind that trade. I don't know much about Youkilis now that the Red Sox are rumored to be looking to get rid of him, but he used to be a very good player. Our bullpen has been brutal, but K-Rod has been a reason for that, so I think if Youkilis turns his season around, it would be a great trade.

🏀

• All American
Re: Josh Hamilton Brewers Rumors
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
Too good for the MLB thread?

Anyway...Prince was worth keeping over Josh Heroin (see what I did there?). High risk for lesser games played, baggage, and tier-two eliteness in the MLB.

feedback