[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range  (Read 10086 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wcnX4nqYA

Think he will add a great dimension to our game the next few years

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Agreed.  Can't wait to watch Jake score threes for MU!!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
Dave Singleton declare for the NBA yet?

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »
Dave Singleton declare for the NBA yet?

Nope. Just Rob.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
That shooting was sick in that video.  Looks like a walk-on destined to get a scholarship eventually if he can do that for us.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
wow - range and unconscious shooting.   hoe we can do that for MU...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
I hope I don't jinx him, but I think his nickname should be "Zone Killer."
SS Marquette

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
He might bring a bit of that mix of bucky.  I think if you combined the styles a bit you'd have a pretty solid team.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
I hope I don't jinx him, but I think his nickname should be "Zone Killer."

Exactly what I was thinking he will spread out defenses so well.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
Jake Thomas averages 10 per game next year. Book it.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
The next Rob Logterman (will he wear the honorable #12?)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
Jake displayed his abilities at Madness. He's got range.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Jake displayed his abilities at Madness. He's got range.

Four of those yesterday and we win.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
He can shoot, but will he be a defensive liability?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
He can shoot, but will he be a defensive liability?

That's the assumption, but he has the size and athleticism to be fine defensively.  Moreover,  the best defenders are made from effort and intelligence more than anything else.  I think a walk-on is going to have more effort and determination than your average player.  I also think Jake will have better intelligence than average for the mere fact that next year will be his 4th year in college.

I really like Jake's prospects.  If he is as good of a shooter as I believe,  it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  Guys that can shoot as well as a Novak need to be on the floor and as I've said,  I don't buy the assumptions that he will be horrible at defense.

Somebody on here with more initiative should find out from the South Dakota board more info on his game.  Strictly going on his box scores,  it definitely appears that he did much more than just shoot 3's. I would not be surprised at all,  if he was a pretty complete player.  I'm sure he's been playing his whole life......was VERY successful on the HS and low DI level.  I doubt he's a one trick pony,  but even at his "floor".......he is still the best shooter on the court at all times.  That is valuable.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
That's the assumption, but he has the size and athleticism to be fine defensively.  Moreover,  the best defenders are made from effort and intelligence more than anything else.  I think a walk-on is going to have more effort and determination than your average player.  I also think Jake will have better intelligence than average for the mere fact that next year will be his 4th year in college.

I really like Jake's prospects.  If he is as good of a shooter as I believe,  it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  Guys that can shoot as well as a Novak need to be on the floor and as I've said,  I don't buy the assumptions that he will be horrible at defense.

Somebody on here with more initiative should find out from the South Dakota board more info on his game.  Strictly going on his box scores,  it definitely appears that he did much more than just shoot 3's. I would not be surprised at all,  if he was a pretty complete player.  I'm sure he's been playing his whole life......was VERY successful on the HS and low DI level.  I doubt he's a one trick pony,  but even at his "floor".......he is still the best shooter on the court at all times.  That is valuable.

Cant wait to watch him

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

Man, how wasn't he a McD's All-American?

He's a one trick pony.  He can shoot from distance.  Don't expect more than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
Jake Thomas averages 10 per game next year. Book it.

10 what???  Points??? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
I think it's hilarious that people whine and cry about how bad Aaron Durley must be because he isn't getting playing time at his high school (while 1 of the 10 best overall players in the country plays center in front of him), yet we expect a walk-on to average 10 points per game for us?  You realize he is a walk-on, which means Buzz would rather have Aaron Durley, the kid who can't get off the bench in high school, over this guy.  There's a reason he was at the lowest of low-major schools last year, and there's a reason he's a walk-on.  He won't see the court.  Remember when Dave Singleton was going to come in and be a strong contributor?...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
Singleton did contribute. Just wasn't on the basketball court. He was a team playa.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
I think it's hilarious that people whine and cry about how bad Aaron Durley must be because he isn't getting playing time at his high school (while 1 of the 10 best overall players in the country plays center in front of him), yet we expect a walk-on to average 10 points per game for us?  You realize he is a walk-on, which means Buzz would rather have Aaron Durley, the kid who can't get off the bench in high school, over this guy.  There's a reason he was at the lowest of low-major schools last year, and there's a reason he's a walk-on.  He won't see the court.  Remember when Dave Singleton was going to come in and be a strong contributor?...

Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here.  If you are able to read between the lines,  Durley's (egregious lack of) playing time goes beyond playing behind Ridley.  There is no way Ridley played EVERY minute in virtually EVERY game.  It's pretty obvious that the Bush coach was plugging someone else in at center when Ridley was out.  NEWSFLASH:  Durley was most likely the 3rd string center.  There is a lesser chance that he was the primary backup,  but playing in just a few games all season doesn't give the backup distinction any worth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here.  If you are able to read between the lines,  Durley's (egregious lack of) playing time goes beyond playing behind Ridley.  There is no way Ridley played EVERY minute in virtually EVERY game.  It's pretty obvious that the Bush coach was plugging someone else in at center when Ridley was out.  NEWSFLASH:  Durley was most likely the 3rd string center.  There is a lesser chance that he was the primary backup,  but playing in just a few games all season doesn't give the backup distinction any worth.

Where do you even see his stats?  The wiki has like random game stats.  How do we know those are accurate, and how do we know the games they don't have stats for (the large majority of the games) that he has been sitting on the bench?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here. 

A number of people suggested that Singleton could be a contributor.

And why do you believe that "someone won't be here?" 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

Man, how wasn't he a McD's All-American?

He's a one trick pony.  He can shoot from distance.  Don't expect more than that.

You've seen him play how many times?  I'm guessing 0-1 with the odds being closer to 0.

Jake was a very good all-around player at Racine St. Catherine's and while he may not be a major minute contributer for MU, he's a very heady player who can help MU the next 3 years.  He may surprise some on this board.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
And why do you believe that "someone won't be here?" 

Look at the scholarship table.  I thought this was obvious.  It should also be noted that someone either transfers or doesn't come every year under Buzz.

feedback