[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range  (Read 10088 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wcnX4nqYA

Think he will add a great dimension to our game the next few years

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas has Jimmer Range
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Agreed.  Can't wait to watch Jake score threes for MU!!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
Dave Singleton declare for the NBA yet?

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »
Dave Singleton declare for the NBA yet?

Nope. Just Rob.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
That shooting was sick in that video.  Looks like a walk-on destined to get a scholarship eventually if he can do that for us.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
wow - range and unconscious shooting.   hoe we can do that for MU...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
I hope I don't jinx him, but I think his nickname should be "Zone Killer."
SS Marquette

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
He might bring a bit of that mix of bucky.  I think if you combined the styles a bit you'd have a pretty solid team.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
I hope I don't jinx him, but I think his nickname should be "Zone Killer."

Exactly what I was thinking he will spread out defenses so well.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
Jake Thomas averages 10 per game next year. Book it.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
The next Rob Logterman (will he wear the honorable #12?)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
Jake displayed his abilities at Madness. He's got range.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Jake displayed his abilities at Madness. He's got range.

Four of those yesterday and we win.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
He can shoot, but will he be a defensive liability?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

That's the assumption, but he has the size and athleticism to be fine defensively.  Moreover,  the best defenders are made from effort and intelligence more than anything else.  I think a walk-on is going to have more effort and determination than your average player.  I also think Jake will have better intelligence than average for the mere fact that next year will be his 4th year in college.

I really like Jake's prospects.  If he is as good of a shooter as I believe,  it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  Guys that can shoot as well as a Novak need to be on the floor and as I've said,  I don't buy the assumptions that he will be horrible at defense.

Somebody on here with more initiative should find out from the South Dakota board more info on his game.  Strictly going on his box scores,  it definitely appears that he did much more than just shoot 3's. I would not be surprised at all,  if he was a pretty complete player.  I'm sure he's been playing his whole life......was VERY successful on the HS and low DI level.  I doubt he's a one trick pony,  but even at his "floor".......he is still the best shooter on the court at all times.  That is valuable.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
That's the assumption, but he has the size and athleticism to be fine defensively.  Moreover,  the best defenders are made from effort and intelligence more than anything else.  I think a walk-on is going to have more effort and determination than your average player.  I also think Jake will have better intelligence than average for the mere fact that next year will be his 4th year in college.

I really like Jake's prospects.  If he is as good of a shooter as I believe,  it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  Guys that can shoot as well as a Novak need to be on the floor and as I've said,  I don't buy the assumptions that he will be horrible at defense.

Somebody on here with more initiative should find out from the South Dakota board more info on his game.  Strictly going on his box scores,  it definitely appears that he did much more than just shoot 3's. I would not be surprised at all,  if he was a pretty complete player.  I'm sure he's been playing his whole life......was VERY successful on the HS and low DI level.  I doubt he's a one trick pony,  but even at his "floor".......he is still the best shooter on the court at all times.  That is valuable.

Cant wait to watch him

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

Man, how wasn't he a McD's All-American?

He's a one trick pony.  He can shoot from distance.  Don't expect more than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
Jake Thomas averages 10 per game next year. Book it.

10 what???  Points??? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
I think it's hilarious that people whine and cry about how bad Aaron Durley must be because he isn't getting playing time at his high school (while 1 of the 10 best overall players in the country plays center in front of him), yet we expect a walk-on to average 10 points per game for us?  You realize he is a walk-on, which means Buzz would rather have Aaron Durley, the kid who can't get off the bench in high school, over this guy.  There's a reason he was at the lowest of low-major schools last year, and there's a reason he's a walk-on.  He won't see the court.  Remember when Dave Singleton was going to come in and be a strong contributor?...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
Singleton did contribute. Just wasn't on the basketball court. He was a team playa.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
I think it's hilarious that people whine and cry about how bad Aaron Durley must be because he isn't getting playing time at his high school (while 1 of the 10 best overall players in the country plays center in front of him), yet we expect a walk-on to average 10 points per game for us?  You realize he is a walk-on, which means Buzz would rather have Aaron Durley, the kid who can't get off the bench in high school, over this guy.  There's a reason he was at the lowest of low-major schools last year, and there's a reason he's a walk-on.  He won't see the court.  Remember when Dave Singleton was going to come in and be a strong contributor?...

Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here.  If you are able to read between the lines,  Durley's (egregious lack of) playing time goes beyond playing behind Ridley.  There is no way Ridley played EVERY minute in virtually EVERY game.  It's pretty obvious that the Bush coach was plugging someone else in at center when Ridley was out.  NEWSFLASH:  Durley was most likely the 3rd string center.  There is a lesser chance that he was the primary backup,  but playing in just a few games all season doesn't give the backup distinction any worth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here.  If you are able to read between the lines,  Durley's (egregious lack of) playing time goes beyond playing behind Ridley.  There is no way Ridley played EVERY minute in virtually EVERY game.  It's pretty obvious that the Bush coach was plugging someone else in at center when Ridley was out.  NEWSFLASH:  Durley was most likely the 3rd string center.  There is a lesser chance that he was the primary backup,  but playing in just a few games all season doesn't give the backup distinction any worth.

Where do you even see his stats?  The wiki has like random game stats.  How do we know those are accurate, and how do we know the games they don't have stats for (the large majority of the games) that he has been sitting on the bench?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Who thought Singleton was going to be a contributor? I don't remember anyone saying that.  The fact is....Thomas will be the best shooter on the floor.  The last guy we could say that about was constantly panned for his defense,  yet he played and played a lot.

And I wouldn't use Durley in any argument of a player's worth.  It's not definitive that he even will be at MU at this point.  Someone won't be here. 

A number of people suggested that Singleton could be a contributor.

And why do you believe that "someone won't be here?" 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

Man, how wasn't he a McD's All-American?

He's a one trick pony.  He can shoot from distance.  Don't expect more than that.

You've seen him play how many times?  I'm guessing 0-1 with the odds being closer to 0.

Jake was a very good all-around player at Racine St. Catherine's and while he may not be a major minute contributer for MU, he's a very heady player who can help MU the next 3 years.  He may surprise some on this board.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
And why do you believe that "someone won't be here?" 

Look at the scholarship table.  I thought this was obvious.  It should also be noted that someone either transfers or doesn't come every year under Buzz.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »
You've seen him play how many times?  I'm guessing 0-1 with the odds being closer to 0.

Jake was a very good all-around player at Racine St. Catherine's and while he may not be a major minute contributer for MU, he's a very heady player who can help MU the next 3 years.  He may surprise some on this board.

Ted,  from the research I've done,  he was quite good at St. Cat's.  Do you have any info you can provide here?

I've only seen him in the preseason scrimmages.  He looked quite athletic to me......not a Vander Blue,  but more than enough to stay in front of his man if he were determined to do so.  He also looked to be very well coordinated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
Look at the scholarship table.  I thought this was obvious.  It should also be noted that someone either transfers or doesn't come every year under Buzz.

Learn to read the scholarship table.  We are fine for 2012-13, and only are one over for 2013-14 if Otule is granted a sixth year.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
Ted,  from the research I've done,  he was quite good at St. Cat's.  Do you have any info you can provide here?

I've only seen him in the preseason scrimmages.  He looked quite athletic to me......not a Vander Blue,  but more than enough to stay in front of his man if he were determined to do so.  He also looked to be very well coordinated.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/mbball/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=2987

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
You've seen him play how many times?  I'm guessing 0-1 with the odds being closer to 0.

Twice.  In the 2008-09 state tournament.  He blew up for 30+ against some dinky rural team, and was held in check by Aquinas.  

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Where do you even see his stats?  The wiki has like random game stats.  How do we know those are accurate, and how do we know the games they don't have stats for (the large majority of the games) that he has been sitting on the bench?

Totally valid point.  Everyone,  including myself,  is going off the wiki game log.  I think the prevalence of DNP's to games with accumulated stats leads one to think the games without stats to be assumed DNP's.  Regardless,  I think Bush HS had another guy playing minutes behind Ridley.  He may have not been a "true" center,  but he played when Ridley was out.  Complete and total conjecture,  but it is an educated guess that makes more sense than Ridley never leaving the game.....even when they were up double digits.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
Twice.  In the 2008-09 state tournament.  He blew up for 30+ against some dinky rural team, and was held in check by Aquinas.  

I think he can help this program so we'll have to disagree I guess.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »

Learn to read the scholarship table.  We are fine for 2012-13, and only are one over for 2013-14 if Otule is granted a sixth year.

Otule is going to play a 6th year.  That's why I said look at the scholarship table.  Do you really think there will be no fluctuation on the roster or are you just arguing to argue???  If history is an indication......if common sense is taken into account.....there will be fluctuation in the roster.  Again,  this is obvious.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
At some point is Otule just going to be sick of being at school? What if there's not a grad program he's interested in? What if DG advances to the point, next year, that he's playing all but a few minutes per game and Otule is riding the pine?

I'm not sure why there's so much confidence over what a young kid is going to do in two years. Would you guarantee you're going to be at your current residence in two years? Your job?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
Otule is not a guarantee.  Roster fluctuation is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
Otule is going to play a 6th year.  That's why I said look at the scholarship table.  Do you really think there will be no fluctuation on the roster or are you just arguing to argue???  If history is an indication......if common sense is taken into account.....there will be fluctuation in the roster.  Again,  this is obvious.

No kidding.

But why would you say that "it's not definitive that (Durley) will even be at MU at this point?"  Well, no kidding.  You could say the same thing about Ferguson and the Taylors.  But you know absolutely nothing about this...you are just pulling something out of your a**.

The only fact is this....IF we have no transfers after this year AND next year, AND all players we have signed to NLIs show up in 2012, AND the two verbal commitments sign their NLIs and show in 2013, AND Otule is granted a sixth year, THEN will will be one over.  That is the only fact you or I know...Buzz may know how this is going to play out, he might not.  But he has over a year to figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:17:52 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
Probably already been figured out
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
Probably already been figured out

Yep.  And it may be Durley, but I would be tremendously surprised because his mom reiterated his commitment to MU when the JUCO comment first came out, and the dude tweets about #mubb regularly.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »
But why would you say that "it's not definitive that (Durley) will even be at MU at this point?"  Well, no kidding.  You could say the same thing about Ferguson and the Taylors.  But you know absolutely nothing about this...you are just pulling something out of your a**.

I was trying to be diplomatic.  Steve Taylor has a much better chance of being in an MU uniform next season than Durley.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
I was trying to be diplomatic.  Steve Taylor has a much better chance of being in an MU uniform next season than Durley.

Why are you so fixated on *next* year?  Next year isn't the issue....2013 is.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Jake Thomas South Dakota Stats

Season- 09-10                      
Minutes-1042                        
MPG-32.6
FG-120-285
FG%-.421
3P-89-202
3P%-.441
PTS-13.3
FT%-.828
REB-4.0
AST-2.2
BLK-0.3
STL-1.0
Fouls-1.3
TO-1.8

Season- 10-11
Minutes-1018
MPG-32.8
FG-118-325
FG%-.363
3P-86-248
3P%-.347
FT%-.833
REB-4.9
AST-2.4
BLK-0.3
STL-0.9
Fouls-2.2
TO-1.6

Last year for him looked like a down year for him % wise but still think he is really good

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
I think Jake was the focal point of defenses his last year and that is why his percentages dropped.  I do think he is a good shooter.  I registered for the South Dakota forum and will ask for their insights on his game.  It should be interesting to hear what they think of him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
I think Jake was the focal point of defenses his last year and that is why his percentages dropped.  I do think he is a good shooter.  I registered for the South Dakota forum and will ask for their insights on his game.  It should be interesting to hear what they think of him.

They are going to think he is a god.  This is a team that is literally the lowest of low-majors.  They moved up to D1 within the last 5 years (not sure exactly when it was).  He was one of their better players.  But he is not a Big-East caliber player, which is why he is walking on.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
They are going to think he is a god.  This is a team that is literally the lowest of low-majors.  They moved up to D1 within the last 5 years (not sure exactly when it was).  He was one of their better players.  But he is not a Big-East caliber player, which is why he is walking on.

Yes,  I know to take a large grain of salt with the good.  I'm most interested on their judgment of his ability on defense.  Everyone here is judging the book by its cover.....

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
Jake Thomas South Dakota Stats

Season- 09-10                      
Minutes-1042                        
MPG-32.6
FG-120-285
FG%-.421
3P-89-202
3P%-.441
PTS-13.3
FT%-.828
REB-4.0
AST-2.2
BLK-0.3
STL-1.0
Fouls-1.3
TO-1.8

Season- 10-11
Minutes-1018
MPG-32.8
FG-118-325
FG%-.363
3P-86-248
3P%-.347
FT%-.833
REB-4.9
AST-2.4
BLK-0.3
STL-0.9
Fouls-2.2
TO-1.6

Last year for him looked like a down year for him % wise but still think he is really good

The drop-off in percentages really don't concern me.  That happens pretty frequently for various reasons.  Check out Robb Logterman's stats.....pretty similar.

Stats
Year                           GP   FG   FGA   FG%   3FG   3FGA   3PT%   FT   FTA   FT%   REB   RPG   AST   APG   PTS   PPG
1990-91 Marquette    29    103    267    .386    54    148    .365    51    61    .836    69    2.4    89    2.3    311    10.7
1991-92 Marquette    29    124    257    .482    69    155    .445    39    55    .709    64    2.2    65    2.2    356    12.3
1992-93 Marquette    28    61    164    .372    46    124    .371    32    39    .821    53    1.9    61    2.1    200    7.1
1993-94 Marquette                         41    49    .837                  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »
The drop-off in percentages really don't concern me.  That happens pretty frequently for various reasons.  Check out Robb Logterman's stats.....pretty similar.

Stats
Year                           GP   FG   FGA   FG%   3FG   3FGA   3PT%   FT   FTA   FT%   REB   RPG   AST   APG   PTS   PPG
1990-91 Marquette    29    103    267    .386    54    148    .365    51    61    .836    69    2.4    89    2.3    311    10.7
1991-92 Marquette    29    124    257    .482    69    155    .445    39    55    .709    64    2.2    65    2.2    356    12.3
1992-93 Marquette    28    61    164    .372    46    124    .371    32    39    .821    53    1.9    61    2.1    200    7.1
1993-94 Marquette                         41    49    .837                  

Even Robb back then played against better competition than Jake at Dakota.

He's a walk on for a reason, move along.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
Even Robb back then played against better competition than Jake at Dakota.

He's a walk on for a reason, move along.

Dismissing him because he's a walk-on is myopic.  The guy scored 40 points going 11-16 for 3 in a DI game.  He's not Jimmer,  Reddick,  or Diener,  but he has talent and he will hit his share of 3's at MU.  At the end of the day,  you have to put the ball in the basket.......who on the team can shoot nearly as well???

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
Dismissing him because he's a walk-on is myopic.  The guy scored 40 points going 11-16 for 3 in a DI game.  He's not Jimmer,  Reddick,  or Diener,  but he has talent and he will hit his share of 3's at MU.  At the end of the day,  you have to put the ball in the basket.......who on the team can shoot nearly as well???

Any player that was smart enough to save his family $35,000 or a so a year and play for free.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Vander Blue was 1-5 vs. Murray St. and 1-7 vs. Florida.  Jamil, Junior,  and Todd.......all "offensively bankrupt" for the tail-end of the season.  Jake will see the floor.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »
Jake has Novak range in a Diener frame.
SS Marquette

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »

If Baylor can use Heslip as much as they do I'm not worried about Thomas.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
All I'm saying is that Jake Thomas is not your normal D1 walk-on and he can help this team.  He's more athletic than some give him credit for and with a year with Todd Smith, I'm sure he's increased his strength.  Much of his time will depend on how much others develop their skills over the summer and if Jake is ahead of those players next fall, Buzz won't hesitate to use him.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
All I'm saying is that Jake Thomas is not your normal D1 walk-on and he can help this team.  He's more athletic than some give him credit for and with a year with Todd Smith, I'm sure he's increased his strength.  Much of his time will depend on how much others develop their skills over the summer and if Jake is ahead of those players next fall, Buzz won't hesitate to use him.

Take out Thomas' name and put in Dave Singleton and this chorus has been sung before.

You can understand the skepticism, I'm sure.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
Jake Thomas has yet to walk-on anywhere, earning three years of D1 scholarships already.  MU could have and will have to use him against the zone.  Not only is he a highly efficient player, he is one of the most prolific three point shooters in the land his first two years, his trey shooting % was #20 and # 194 nationally despite defenses keying on him.  He is an 83% free throw shooter.  At 6'3" he also grabbed 5 rebounds per game his sophomore year and had 2.4 assists per game. He is the only returning D1 double digit scorer on next year's roster, and his efficiency is second only to Gardner's.

Now, is he all BE?  A starter? A person who averages double digit minutes? No. Is he a defensive liability? Most likely but so are some of our current guards.  Having some height and length next season will protect MU defensively.  But, having no shooters or scorers returning is a huge hole....meaning more and more zone. Think of the Badger line-up of shooters? Would he sit there or fit in? 

He is a limited role player who will be a walk-on next year because he loves Buzz's style of play and wants to be close to home, but some of you are dismissing the specialized role the kid can play due to MU's roster make-up.  Yes, it will be situational minutes but look at all the points leaving.  With all the offense/defense substitutions Buzz makes, it won't take much for Jake to sit there and launch a three against a collapsing 2-3 zone or to be inserted to shoot free throws at the end of games.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
Jake Thomas has yet to walk-on anywhere, earning three years of D1 scholarships already.  MU could have and will have to use him against the zone.  Not only is he a highly efficient player, he is one of the most prolific three point shooters in the land his first two years, his trey shooting % was #20 and # 194 nationally despite defenses keying on him.  He is an 83% free throw shooter.  At 6'3" he also grabbed 5 rebounds per game his sophomore year and had 2.4 assists per game. He is the only returning D1 double digit scorer on next year's roster, and his efficiency is second only to Gardner's.

Now, is he all BE?  A starter? A person who averages double digit minutes? No. Is he a defensive liability? Most likely but so are some of our current guards.  Having some height and length next season will protect MU defensively.  But, having no shooters or scorers returning is a huge hole....meaning more and more zone. Think of the Badger line-up of shooters? Would he sit there or fit in? 

He is a limited role player who will be a walk-on next year because he loves Buzz's style of play and wants to be close to home, but some of you are dismissing the specialized role the kid can play due to MU's roster make-up.  Yes, it will be situational minutes but look at all the points leaving.  With all the offense/defense substitutions Buzz makes, it won't take much for Jake to sit there and launch a three against a collapsing 2-3 zone or to be inserted to shoot free throws at the end of games.

+1000000000 Buzz will find the best way to use him through offense-defense substitutions. I've heard from Juan Anderson that he keeps up with the players on the team just fine and he drains 3s in practice against the first team D. Take it for what its worth.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Take out Thomas' name and put in Dave Singleton and this chorus has been sung before.

You can understand the skepticism, I'm sure.

Umm...no, I can't. Is there any reason Singleton couldn't have been more than your average walk-on? It's not like his departure from the program had anything to do with his ability to play basketball. He was a scholarship starter at a D1 program. Would have have been successful here, or even have contributed significantly? Who knows. But there's nothing to indicate that he couldn't have. And considering Jake had even more success in his 2 years starting, there's nothing to indicate he can't either.

Skepticism about an incoming player who hasn't yet played is fine, but there's no reason to doubt Jake Thomas any more than there is reason to doubt Steve Taylor, Deonte Burton, or Aaron Durley.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Can't wait to watch Jake play the next two years.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Umm...no, I can't. Is there any reason Singleton couldn't have been more than your average walk-on? It's not like his departure from the program had anything to do with his ability to play basketball. He was a scholarship starter at a D1 program. Would have have been successful here, or even have contributed significantly? Who knows. But there's nothing to indicate that he couldn't have. And considering Jake had even more success in his 2 years starting, there's nothing to indicate he can't either.

Skepticism about an incoming player who hasn't yet played is fine, but there's no reason to doubt Jake Thomas any more than there is reason to doubt Steve Taylor, Deonte Burton, or Aaron Durley.

In the beginning, you write that you can't understand the skepticism.

At the end, you write that it's fine to have skepticism about an incoming player.

So, is it okay for people to be skeptical of Thomas or not?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:39 AM »
are we arguing
about the ninth or tenth man
our problems are few

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:04 AM »
In the beginning, you write that you can't understand the skepticism.

At the end, you write that it's fine to have skepticism about an incoming player.

So, is it okay for people to be skeptical of Thomas or not?

Your skepticism seems to stem from Thomas being a walk-on, considering you specifically named Singleton. Citing Singleton isn't really fair since he never played on the court and could very well have been successful. Do you have the same skepticism about what Taylor or Burton can do? I'm saying that if you're skeptical, why not be critical of everyone coming to Marquette, rather than just the guys that are paying to come here.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
Your skepticism seems to stem from Thomas being a walk-on, considering you specifically named Singleton. Citing Singleton isn't really fair since he never played on the court and could very well have been successful. Do you have the same skepticism about what Taylor or Burton can do? I'm saying that if you're skeptical, why not be critical of everyone coming to Marquette, rather than just the guys that are paying to come here.

It's fair to have skepticism over any player who hasn't yet played in your program. (As you no doubt agree)

It's also fair to have skepticism about any player who attempts to walk-on at a much higher level with your program than they previously played at. (As you no doubt should agree)

In the end, the game of parsing our skepticism is truly an irrelevant exercise given the other issues in the program. (As you no doubt won't agree)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:32:14 AM by The Golden Avalanche »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
My main point is that comparing Thomas to a Frozena or Sichting is simply silly, and using Singleton as an example of why Thomas won't work out is senseless because his on-court performance had nothing to do with his departure.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
To guess at Jake's abilities, maybe we need to consider this:

Who is more likely to be effective:

An 18year old incoming top 100 recruit, or a guy who who averaged 13pts against lower level D1 comp. and is a junior (age-wise).

I don't say this as a 100% belief that Jake is going to have a huge impact, but he's played against good players and had some success. It's not insane to think that he could contribute.

I think writing him off is naive. He's got a skill that nobody else on the roster currently possesses, he can shoot. Buzz likes to mix and match line-ups, so I think he'll get a chance. He might only average 5 or 6pts, but if it's a super efficient 5-6 pts, that could be a big help.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
To guess at Jake's abilities, maybe we need to consider this:

Who is more likely to be effective:

An 18year old incoming top 100 recruit, or a guy who who averaged 13pts against lower level D1 comp. and is a junior (age-wise).

I don't say this as a 100% belief that Jake is going to have a huge impact, but he's played against good players and had some success. It's not insane to think that he could contribute.

I think writing him off is naive. He's got a skill that nobody else on the roster currently possesses, he can shoot. Buzz likes to mix and match line-ups, so I think he'll get a chance. He might only average 5 or 6pts, but if it's a super efficient 5-6 pts, that could be a big help.

Well said. He will be a niche player and I'm happy to have him.